Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,873 members, 7,806,495 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:19 PM

Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit (2374 Views)

Vision Of Heaven And Hell: Few Questions that need answers. / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion / Muslims Vs Christians: A Struggle Between Ignorance & Greed In Nigeria - Gumi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by inspiredbyGOD(m): 12:20pm On Mar 12, 2013
Good afternoon to you all.
As Christians, we believe that Jesus came to die in order to reunite us with the Father. Before ascending, He promised to send a comforter to the remaining believers on earth. True to His words, a comforter did come during pentecost. The comforter known as the Holy Spirit, filled each believer and empowered them; they become bold and confident, they could now speak other languages, perform miracles, heal the sick and do other amazing things. The Holy Spirit acted as their guide, comforted them and granted them unique qualities that differentiated them from other people (they had the fruits/gifts of the spirit). Fast forward two thousand years into the future, believers still abound but it seems like the Holy Spirit is nowhere to be found. Christians are more divided than the red sea, divided over doctrines & beliefs and they tend to paint a picture of a divided Holy Spirit. Mr A says God is three yet one (revealed to him by the Holy Spirit) and Mr B says God is only one (also revealed to him by the same Holy Spirit). How is this possible? Is the Holy Spirit the cause of all this confusion? Apart from that, the gifts/fruits of the Spirit are nowhere to be found amongst Christian brothers and sisters anymore. For those who claim to have the Holy Spirit, could you be so kind as to answer these few questions of mine?
* Who is the Holy Spirit? (this should be based on your personal encounter with the Holy Spirit. I don't want anyone saying the third person in the trinity- don't start any argument on trinity please)
* Does the Holy Spirit speak? What does the Holy Spirit sound like?
* Do you manifest any gift of the spirit? (prophecy, speaking other languages, discerning spirit, spiritual wisdom, knowledge)
* Why do you think that you have the Holy Spirit?
* How do you recognize that the Holy Spirit is in someone else's life?
* How do you differentiate between your conscience and the Holy Spirit? Or are they the same to you?

Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by teniyi(m): 12:28pm On Mar 12, 2013
Your confusion and those of many other people could be solved here. http://www.alislam.org/books/in-bible/index.html.
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by inspiredbyGOD(m): 12:59pm On Mar 12, 2013
teniyi: Your confusion and those of many other people could be solved here. http://www.alislam.org/books/in-bible/index.html.
Thanks for commenting on this thread although your post added no value to the thread. I think your post will be appreciated better in the Islamic section.

1 Like

Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by JeSoul(f): 4:54pm On Mar 12, 2013
inspiredbyGOD:.:
As Christians, we believe that Jesus came to die in order to reunite us with the Father. Before ascending, He promised to send a comforter to the remaining believers on earth. True to His words, a comforter did come during pentecost. The comforter known as the Holy Spirit, filled each believer and empowered them; they become bold and confident, they could now speak other languages, perform miracles, heal the sick and do other amazing things. The Holy Spirit acted as their guide, comforted them and granted them unique qualities that differentiated them from other people (they had the fruits/gifts of the spirit). Fast forward two thousand years into the future, believers still abound but it seems like the Holy Spirit is nowhere to be found. Christians are more divided than the red sea, divided over doctrines & beliefs and they tend to paint a picture of a divided Holy Spirit. Mr A says God is three yet one (revealed to him by the Holy Spirit) and Mr B says God is only one (also revealed to him by the same Holy Spirit). How is this possible? Is the Holy Spirit the cause of all this confusion? Apart from that, the gifts/fruits of the Spirit are nowhere to be found amongst Christian brothers and sisters anymore. For those who claim to have the Holy Spirit, could you be so kind as to answer these few questions of mine?
It is simply human beings - being human beings. Our shortcomings are painfully on display at all times. We must also remember that not all who claim the name of Christ are actually of Christ - Jesus said only few will find the path that leads to salvation so we must be careful to look inward and work out our salvation with fear & trembling.

Lemme try by God's grace to answer your questions:

* Who is the Holy Spirit?
To me, He is my guide. The Spirit of Christ that walks with me, guiding me into His perfect will. I became a christian young, and I can tell you the influence, direction & guidance of the Holy Spirit right from the very moment I believed was unmistakably clear & potent.

Jesus said "my sheep hear my voice, and they recognize it". Those who are of Christ simply know when it is Christ speaking to them. It could be an audible voice, it could be a "feeling", it could come in a dream, it could come through another christian etc etc.

* Do you manifest any gift of the spirit? (prophecy, speaking other languages, discerning spirit, spiritual wisdom, knowledge)
Yes.

I love this question smiley. Jesus said "this is how you will know you are my disciples, that you love one another". I have a deep deep love for other christians. It just brings joy to my heart when I hear of a christian somewhere or see someone reading a bible in a public place etc etc. Why do I think I have the Holy Spirit? because I have followed His voice & guidance and the results confirm that it was Him leading me into truth.

"...by their fruits" is a time-tested, fool-proof way of knowing who truly is led by the spirit - Gal 5 tells us the different part of the fruit (not fruits, single term fruit, meaning it should be a complete package of behavior - the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Look around this section and look around your life - who has these 'symptoms'? that is a person led by the Spirit.

* How do you differentiate between your conscience and the Holy Spirit? Or are they the same to you?
They are not exactly the same - but they could both be on the same wavelength/accord on a particular issue. And some of us will be judged by what our consciences told us Romans 2: They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them 16 on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.

Cheers brother smiley.

2 Likes

Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by benodic: 5:31pm On Mar 12, 2013
from your topic it seems like you want only Christians comments.
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by An0nimus: 5:35pm On Mar 12, 2013
Well spoken JeSoulsmiley
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by Geewan(m): 5:36pm On Mar 12, 2013
From your topic it seems like you want only Christians to comment. But if you don't mind, here is another perspective.

God is not the author of confusion.

But the comforter, which is the HOLY GHOST, whom Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you - John 14-26.

Whoever changed Periqlytos to HOLY GHOST is the author of confusion.

Read: Muhammed (PBUH) in the Bible by David Benjamin Keldani, former Bishop of Uniate chalden.

For any questions on what I've just said, I'll be waiting...

1 Like

Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by Nobody: 8:27pm On Mar 12, 2013

My brother, the very gates of hell are at war with this Initiative of the Lord's called the Church and its greatest weapon is ever counterfeiting. If the enemy can insinuate himself in the church, he replicates like a virus and attempts to drive rifts between members of the Body. But, it's not irreversible. The Church can be healed and is being healed. And no, it's not the Holy Spirit's fault.

I think it is necessary to point out that the Church is the biggeat deal ever. She is a tremendous menace to Satan and his whole hierarchy. She is testament to a fact that Satan hates passionately, viz that the Throne Satan has been eyeing from the beginning has been given to a Man, that God has got His King. She is the means of this King's Government and her coming to maturity will end completely his reign of evil. This is why he fights, not to destroy her because he cannot but to retardd her growth and delay his destruction and the total dominion of God's King, the Christ.

It's a really big deal to Satan, so he has been set against the Church from the onset, seeking always to corrupt and thereby confuse her and thus delay her destiny.

* Who is the Holy Spirit? (this should be based on your personal encounter with the Holy Spirit. I don't want anyone saying the third person in the trinity- don't start any argument on trinity please)

It's such a small question with such a big answer. Suffice it to say that He is Life. He is so inconspicuous that it's hard to label Him. I can only tell you for sure that He is Christ in me. He fills me with such an awareness of Christ. He defines Life to me. In short, I hardly think about Him in His Own Person, I always think about Christ through Whom I even think about the Father. He's the air I breathe, the Life in me, the Song on my lips, the Love in my heart.

He does speak, but I could never describe His voice to you. He's taught me the most amazing things. Sometimes I'm watching a movie and it's like He says, "there, you see that? Now that's (something I hadn't understood or may have been wondering about in the Word of God or some circumstance I find myself)". Sometimes, it's in a song. Many times, I'm caught in a terrible situation and all I do is cry, and I can almost feel Him holding me and sharing my tears. I can't tell you what He sounds like, but I can tell you He's my best buddy. We discuss all kinds of things and He's as good at talking as He is at listening.

Yeah.

Lol. I guess it's a fair question. I wondered about that all my life till I was born into the House six years ago. The day I was born anew, it was His entry into my life that made the difference. I've just been changing so much since that day. Even when I made really hideous mistakes, He's never ceased to be my friend. I live and breathe Him. The prospect of doing anything or being anywhere without Him scares the bones out of me. I know that I have Him because I'm aware of Christ in everything and when I screw up, He fixes me real good (nobody holds a candle to His ability to discipline). I know I have Him because I can never feel at home screwing up. I know I have Him because of this consuming hunger in my heart for the Kingdom of God I can't stop thinking about the Crown that awaits Overcomers. I know I have Him because nothing matters to me but Christ Whom I see in everything and for Whom I live.

I know it still sounds a little weird but at first it's a subtle feeling, for want of a better word, like a buzz that says, 'pay attention, there's something here.' But that's not enough of course, that buzz is confirmed by the words and actions and attitudes of that 'someone else'. I always treat the person as though they are Christians, if they say they are, until they fail to live up to the Name.

I really don't. They are not alike in any way. My conscience is my tool for moral judgment. It is under His Hand. He trains it, corrects it, guides it, nurtures it, whatever, but I make moral judgments based on it. When it doesn't know enough to make a call, I trust Him to teach it by experience.

Well, there you have it, bro. smiley
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by inspiredbyGOD(m): 7:53am On Mar 14, 2013
Thanks @Jesoul & Ihedinobi, your comments were really helpful. Just a few more questions.

* can you both tell me the gifts that you manifest

* The fruits of the spirit; did you have to develop them or did they just come upon you like that?
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by Nobody: 11:58am On Mar 14, 2013
Thanks @Jesoul & Ihedinobi, your comments were really helpful. Just a few more questions.

Unknown languages among others.

* The fruits of the spirit; did you have to develop them or did they just come upon you like that?

Lol. Both. Just like an orange tree develops oranges and at a particular point in time appears to suddenly have an abundance of fruit out of nowhere, the Spirit of Christ within me is steadily forming the fruit of Christ within me with my cooperation and manifests it too all the time at various stages of development.
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by JeSoul(f): 7:47pm On Mar 14, 2013
@Ihedinobi, I saw & digested your comment on the "fisherman thread"...infact found myself reading up many of your topics/threads recently - just not chanced to comment/reply like I would like to. Soon...I'll resurrect one in particular... anyways, hope say you good smiley

Gifts I manifest - from a young age I've always been able to 'discern/distinguish spirits' and have a 'knowledge' of things that I may not have necessarily studied. I've never spoken in tongues and some people will immediately say I am not a christian and have never received the Holy Spirit smiley...my very life is proof that is just not true.

These gifts are given from God, BUT they also have to be used and thereby are being 'developed' as you grow and mature. Your 'spiritual acumen' must be kept sharp by constant 'practice' which comes from fellowshipping with fellow believers and dwelling in God's presence.
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by Nobody: 8:13pm On Mar 14, 2013
JeSoul: @Ihedinobi, I saw & digested your comment on the "fisherman thread"...infact found myself reading up many of your topics/threads recently - just not chanced to comment/reply like I would like to. Soon...I'll resurrect one in particular... anyways, hope say you good smiley

Looking forward to it. I'm getting better everyday, sister dear. smiley
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by Image123(m): 12:35am On Mar 16, 2013
nice one Ihe and JS.
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by inspiredbyGOD(m): 2:08pm On Mar 18, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Unknown languages among others.
unknown languages? Do you mean you can speak languages that you've never really heard before or are you referring to the popular ''skiborababa'' thingy?

Lol. Both. Just like an orange tree develops oranges and at a particular point in time appears to suddenly have an abundance of fruit out of nowhere, the Spirit of Christ within me is steadily forming the fruit of Christ within me with my cooperation and manifests it too all the time at various stages of development.
So, the fruits of the spirit are already possessed by a born again believer but he/she will still have to make sure the fruits grow to a mature state. How do you recognise that you have a particular fruit of the spirit?
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by inspiredbyGOD(m): 2:19pm On Mar 18, 2013
JeSoul: Gifts I manifest - from a young age I've always been able to 'discern/distinguish spirits' and have a 'knowledge' of things that I may not have necessarily studied. I've never spoken in tongues and some people will immediately say I am not a christian and have never received the Holy Spirit smiley...my very life is proof that is just not true.

These gifts are given from God, BUT they also have to be used and thereby are being 'developed' as you grow and mature. Your 'spiritual acumen' must be kept sharp by constant 'practice' which comes from fellowshipping with fellow believers and dwelling in God's presence.
Could you be so kind as to throw more light on the discernment of spirit? Do you mean you can recognise if the spirit dwelling in a man is good or evil or is something else entirely?
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by Nobody: 2:28pm On Mar 18, 2013
unknown languages? Do you mean you can speak languages that you've never really heard before or are you referring to the popular ''skiborababa'' thingy?

Would anyone know the difference? smiley Suffice it to say that talking jibberish hasn't appealed to me since I first heard myself speak. I don't know what language it is I speak when I do or what it ought to sound like, but I am conscious that sometimes I actually know what I'm saying. At other times, I have not the slightest idea but I'm strangely aware of something indescribable that both causes the languages and results from it. I'm not always desirous of using the gift anyhow, it usually comes from some sort of pressure within.

So, the fruits of the spirit are already possessed by a born again believer but he/she will still have to make sure the fruits grow to a mature state. How do you recognise that you have a particular fruit of the spirit?

There really is only one fruit, like JeSoul said: Love. The other things listed in Galatians 5:22,23 are descriptions and outworkings of Love. I don't know that it is any easier to recognize that you have the Fruit than it is that you recognize that you're human. In both cases, I think you have a great many ways of knowing, but none so effective as looking in the mirror and comparing what you find there with what has been shown to be the true state of having the fruit of the Spirit.

In this case, the mirror is the Word of God. Upon looking into it, any man may know whether or not he has the deposit of Christ.
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by inspiredbyGOD(m): 3:25pm On Mar 18, 2013
Ihedinobi:
Would anyone know the difference? smiley Suffice it to say that talking jibberish hasn't appealed to me since I first heard myself speak. I don't know what language it is I speak when I do or what it ought to sound like, but I am conscious that sometimes I actually know what I'm saying. At other times, I have not the slightest idea but I'm strangely aware of something indescribable that both causes the languages and results from it. I'm not always desirous of using the gift anyhow, it usually comes from some sort of pressure within.
All I am asking is if it is a recognisable language or not. For example, a Yoruba man speaking Chinese as the Holy Spirit comes upon him.

There really is only one fruit, like JeSoul said: Love. The other things listed in Galatians 5:22,23 are descriptions and outworkings of Love. I don't know that it is any easier to recognize that you have the Fruit than it is that you recognize that you're human. In both cases, I think you have a great many ways of knowing, but none so effective as looking in the mirror and comparing what you find there with what has been shown to be the true state of having the fruit of the Spirit.

In this case, the mirror is the Word of God. Upon looking into it, any man may know whether or not he has the deposit of Christ.
True, all fruits are the results of love but that very quality is something that is lacking in the life of Christians worldwide, leading me to another question; is the Holy Spirit limited to just a select few?
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by JeSoul(f): 3:58pm On Mar 18, 2013
Could you be so kind as to throw more light on the discernment of spirit?
Sure brother.

Do you mean you can recognise if the spirit dwelling in a man is good or evil or is something else entirely?
Yes. I have walked into churches/church events and immediately left because I felt the presence of evil. Or a preacher opens his/her mouth and I'll know they're lying. Certain relatives I actually stayed away from even as I child because I knew something was 'wrong' with them. I have travelled to certain cities and known it was a devil's stronghold. Sometimes the discernment is a 'feeling', other times it comes in a dream, other times I may actually 'see' it, other times it is a 'perception', other times it is a 'peace' or an 'uneasiness'... much like the other gifts, one must try to 'practice' and stay sharp.

Image123: nice one Ihe and JS.
snr brother, we thank God. Please share your own too so we can all learn.
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by Nobody: 4:10pm On Mar 18, 2013
All I am asking is if it is a recognisable language or not. For example, a Yoruba man speaking Chinese as the Holy Spirit comes upon him.

You would recognize Mandarin because you've heard a group of people communicate in it. You would recognize Yoruba for the same reason. But I don't think you've heard Icelandic or some Central African languages. I bet that of you heard someone speak any of them for the first time without someone answering back, they would sound very unrecognizable to you. It's the same to me. I'm not even sure that it's one language I'm speaking when I pray in the spirit. I'm not sure they're even human languages. Sometimes, I listen to see if there's any kind of resemblance in them to languages I have heard and I do find some but I can't deny that they're still very different for the simple reason that I haven't heard them before.

That's why I labeled them "unknown".

True, all fruits are the results of love but that very quality is something that is lacking in the life of Christians worldwide, leading me to another question; is the Holy Spirit limited to just a select few?

The Holy Spirit is the seal, guarantee or mark of salvation. His entry into a person is how that person is born anew. So all Christians have the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the deposit of Christ that a person receives, or if you prefer, He brings the deposit of Christ into a person when they are born anew. That deposit is the Life of Christ or Love. Every Christian has that seed in them. But seed is always necessarily hidden from sight in the ground, it is the fruit that is seen.

So even though every Christian has Love within them, there will be no manifestation if they don't cooperate with the Holy Spirit in growing that little seed. Consequently, you would not easily see that such Christians as do not work with the Holy Spirit actually have this deposit. But it is nevertheless there.
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by Nobody: 4:11pm On Mar 18, 2013

You would recognize Mandarin because you've heard a group of people communicate in it. You would recognize Yoruba for the same reason. But I don't think you've heard Icelandic or some Central African languages. I bet that of you heard someone speak any of them for the first time without someone answering back, they would sound very unrecognizable to you. It's the same to me. I'm not even sure that it's one language I'm speaking when I pray in the spirit. I'm not sure they're even human languages. Sometimes, I listen to see if there's any kind of resemblance in them to languages I have heard and I do find some but I can't deny that they're still very different for the simple reason that I haven't heard them before.

That's why I labeled them "unknown".

The Holy Spirit is the seal, guarantee or mark of salvation. His entry into a person is how that person is born anew. So all Christians have the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the deposit of Christ that a person receives, or if you prefer, He brings the deposit of Christ into a person when they are born anew. That deposit is the Life of Christ or Love. Every Christian has that seed in them. But seed is always necessarily hidden from sight in the ground, it is the fruit that is seen.

So even though every Christian has Love within them, there will be no manifestation if they don't cooperate with the Holy Spirit in growing that little seed. Consequently, you would not easily see that such Christians as do not work with the Holy Spirit actually have this deposit. But it is nevertheless there.
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by inspiredbyGOD(m): 4:29pm On Mar 18, 2013
JeSoul: Yes. I have walked into churches/church events and immediately left because I felt the presence of evil. Or a preacher opens his/her mouth and I'll know they're lying. Certain relatives I actually stayed away from even as I child because I knew something was 'wrong' with them. I have travelled to certain cities and known it was a devil's stronghold. Sometimes the discernment is a 'feeling', other times it comes in a dream, other times I may actually 'see' it, other times it is a 'perception', other times it is a 'peace' or an 'uneasiness'... much like the other gifts, one must try to 'practice' and stay sharp.
I don't think words can really explain this; I'll have to experience the Holy Spirit for myself.
Thanks for your time.

1 Like

Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by JeSoul(f): 4:37pm On Mar 18, 2013
I don't think words can really explain this; I'll have to experience the Holy Spirit for myself.
Thanks for your time.
You're more than welcome sir.
Don't 'over-think' or 'over-seek' the issue my dear brother. I believe you already have the Holy Spirit in you. That you're asking all these questions and going back and forth on your beliefs & why you believe them is actually a symptom of the Holy Spirit working in & on you! You're being shaken so that only what is true may remain. And by the Grace of the Almighty, He will keep you and lead you all the days of your life. Amen!
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by Nobody: 4:46pm On Mar 18, 2013
^^^Amen, sis.
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by Image123(m): 7:23pm On Mar 18, 2013
Ever heard about the reading anointing or seen anyone with it?

www.nairaland.com/813265/dr-sign-fireman-true-man/10#14198791
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by akinemma1: 8:59pm On Mar 18, 2013
unknown languages? Do you mean you can speak languages that you've never really heard before or are you referring to the popular ''skiborababa'' thingy
mr man,you need to be very watchful of what you say.the greatest sin a man can commit is to sin against the holy spirit and that sin cannot be forgiven.that is what you have just done now.of what use is it to you if someone is speaking `gibberish` as you call it.if you also want to speak in tongues,pray to God to give you the gift.by mocking other people speaking in tongues,you can sin against the holy spirit especially if the tongue was actually inspired by the holy spirit.if such happens then there is no forgiveness for you o.be warned!
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by inspiredbyGOD(m): 9:52pm On Mar 18, 2013
akin emma: mr man,you need to be very watchful of what you say.the greatest sin a man can commit is to sin against the holy spirit and that sin cannot be forgiven.that is what you have just done now.of what use is it to you if someone is speaking `gibberish` as you call it.if you also want to speak in tongues,pray to God to give you the gift.by mocking other people speaking in tongues,you can sin against the holy spirit especially if the tongue was actually inspired by the holy spirit.if such happens then there is no forgiveness for you o.be warned!
umm, such threats don't really work on me anymore. From your post do you mean to tell me that God can't actually forgive ALL sins?

1 Like

Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by akinemma1: 8:12am On Mar 19, 2013
umm, such threats don't really work on me anymore. From your post do you mean to tell me that God can't actually forgive ALL sins?
let me ask you this question,why did God not forgive ananias and saphira when they lied to the holy spirit in Acts 5 or have you not read it in your bible before?mattew 11 vs 31-32 says i tell you that any sinful thing you do or say can be forgiven.Even if you speak against the son of man,you can be forgiven.BUT IF YOU SPEAK AGAINST THE HOLY SPIRIT,YOU CAN NEVER BE FORGIVEN,EITHER IN THIS LIFE OR IN THE LIFE TO COME.A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by Nobody: 10:40am On Mar 19, 2013
akin emma: let me ask you this question,why did God not forgive ananias and saphira when they lied to the holy spirit in Acts 5 or have you not read it in your bible before?mattew 11 vs 31-32 says i tell you that any sinful thing you do or say can be forgiven.Even if you speak against the son of man,you can be forgiven.BUT IF YOU SPEAK AGAINST THE HOLY SPIRIT,YOU CAN NEVER BE FORGIVEN,EITHER IN THIS LIFE OR IN THE LIFE TO COME.A word is enough for the wise.

Um, my brother, some people do talk gibberish for reasons we will know on the Judgment Day. Every gift of thw Holy Spirit, in fact, every good and perfect gift from Heaven has a counterfeit from Hell. The ease with which the gift of speaking unknown languages has been counterfeited and the proliferation of that counterfeit is why it almost means nothing to say, "I speak in unknown tongues". I understand IBG's skepticism, you should try to as well.

Thank God, it's by the fruit, not the gift that we know them. Or else, my tongue-speaking would mean nothing whatever.

@IBG, my brother, Scriptures tell us that the gifts are given for the building-up of the saints. When I speak what amounts to gibberiah in the midst of believers especially so loudly and at length, what good will I do any listener? I speak those strange things with the Lord alone. Even when I do among brethren, I keep it quiet so that nobody is troubled by sounds that mean nothing to them. Nobody serves God by being pompous because of something the Spirit of God enables them to do.

In any case, I have other gifts that are of more obvious value to my brothers and sisters. But excuse me from having to tell you what they are, please. I pointed one out only to be able to answer your question. I thought it would be discourteous to not mention one at all. My reason for my reticence is that, like I have said, it is by the fruit that we know them not by the gift. The issue of gifts usually results in arrogance and a need to feel relevant in the Church.

Gifts and offices are important but not merely on an individual level, in fact, hardly ever on an individual level, they matter only for the building up of believers. When what they do is serve for evaluating individual believers and assessing how much of the Holy Spirit one has got, then they are being misused for they serve no such use. When an individual believer evaluates himself by them, possibly gauging how much more useful he is than, say, so and so in the Church then they are being abused by him.

I speak unknown languages between the Lord and myself because the mysteries we share actually spread through the Body on a hidden level and strengthen my family. Eventually, sometimes, these mysteries come through into our realms and become intelligible understandings that I can share with other believers. It happens when certain experiences I go through seem almost to say, "hey, that's what that was about" and I immediately see how seemingly isolated bits of Scripture link up to mean something that I never saw before nor could have imagined.

Sometimes the mysteries I speak do something within me, something I don't even know enough to describe but something quite definite. I never see a need to sort of advertise this gift, nor to advertise any office I fulfill in the House, or at least, I hardly ever do. Like Jesus said, the works that I do, they shall speak for me. If some believer somewhere is benefited by that moment of "gibberish" in some way, it's worth it. And if I am built up by it, so is the rest of the Church.

I hope you get it, bro/sis.

1 Like

Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by seyibrown(f): 11:49am On Mar 19, 2013
Thanks for your time.

How are you getting on?
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by inspiredbyGOD(m): 8:50pm On Jun 07, 2013
seyibrown:

How are you getting on?
Still a babe in Christ. Hopefully, I'm back on track permanently.
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by Image123(m): 9:06pm On Jun 07, 2013
Good news.
1Pe 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
1Pe 2:3 If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
Re: Christians: A Few Questions About The Holy Spirit by Nobody: 3:08am On Jun 08, 2013

Jealous!!!

tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photo: Olumba Olumba Obu Consecrates 214 New Bishops And 2 Arch-bishops. / Differences Between Islamic War And Biblical War / Download November Edition Of Rhapsody Of Realities In Any Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.