Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,334 members, 7,808,184 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:14 AM

Uwem Akpan's Novel - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Uwem Akpan's Novel (1327 Views)

The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) / Nigerian Author Uwem Akpan In Oprah's Book Club ! / Say You're One Of Them By Uwem Akpan Is Oprah's Latest Book Club (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uwem Akpan's Novel by Ndipe(m): 3:32am On Mar 25, 2008
The guy's short stories have been featured on the New Yorker Magazine, twice, and he's just published a novel. I saw it on Amazon.com. I read on another blog that 12 publishers were bidding for his novel and he got a fat deal for his book.

http://www.amazon.com/Say-Youre-Them-Uwem-Akpan/dp/0316113786

Best wishes for him.

PS: Not a relative of mine
Re: Uwem Akpan's Novel by SMC(f): 7:56pm On Mar 25, 2008
The book is not a novel. It is a collection of his short stories.
Re: Uwem Akpan's Novel by Ndipe(m): 8:15pm On Mar 25, 2008
Thanks for the clarification. Read it's getting buzz in the literary field. Good for him!
Re: Uwem Akpan's Novel by SMC(f): 8:46pm On Mar 25, 2008
It has not been released yet, though people can pre-order it. I have read two of the stories (the ones which appeared in the New Yorker). I look forward to reading the whole collection.
Re: Uwem Akpan's Novel by Quesera: 7:09pm On Apr 10, 2008
Coincidentally, i know a lady who bears the same name and also writes.
I actually thought she was the one until i saw the novels.
Whoever this guy is,
tell him we are so proud of him.
Re: Uwem Akpan's Novel by Ndipe(m): 11:36pm On May 12, 2008
Who has read his new debut?
Re: Uwem Akpan's Novel by SMC(f): 1:12am On May 13, 2008
Ndipe:

Who has read his new debut?

The book is not out until next month.
Re: Uwem Akpan's Novel by Ndipe(m): 2:34am On May 13, 2008
I guess the novel could be a highly anticipated debut. Best wishes to him.

Thanks for the information. The current Essence Magazine hails Uwem Akpan's short stories as summer's most highly anticipated debut.
Re: Uwem Akpan's Novel by angelz(f): 6:04pm On May 21, 2008
The guy is very good. have read one of his short story titled "Ex-max Feast". it was set in kenya and he was able to use some kenya words to butress his message in the work. kudos to him. he is another pointer to the fact that Nigerians are gifted.
Re: Uwem Akpan's Novel by Ndipe(m): 2:08am On Jun 06, 2008
His collection of short stories is People Magazine "Pick of the week". Another short story of his is featured in this week's "New Yorker" magazine. Though I am not a fan of short stories, but I go read this one.

Another gist: It is also the Entertainment Weekly pick
Re: Uwem Akpan's Novel by SMC(f): 8:17pm On Jun 06, 2008
When I read the story called "Communion" on Faith and Doubt, I could not come to the conclusion that it was fiction. In fact I do not think it is. It seems the New Yorker did turn where they asked half a dozen writers to write things/articles/stories on "Faith and Doubt".
Re: Uwem Akpan's Novel by Ndipe(m): 1:06am On Jun 08, 2008
SMC, are you are book critic? If so, that may also be your calling. I think I may have asked you that before, but you were extremely right on Uwem Akpan. His stories are generating buzz in the literary field.  Though I am not a fan of short stories, but I am interested in reading his debut.

(1) (Reply)

"roots" By Alex Haley / Public Petition: Seun Unban Sisikill / Pastor's Second Wife - Episode 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.