Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,857 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:55 AM

Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! (19492 Views)

Beans Lovers Come In / Moin-moin: To Peel Or Not To Peel The Beans / Fish Lovers Come On In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by baggy4luv(m): 10:57am On Mar 16, 2013
Yield: I made moin-moin for the first time a few weeks ago and let me tell you, I've found my new favourite food! The only difficult part is getting the skin off the black-eyed beans with your hands, pheew! But once you get past that part, the process becomes much more enjoyable and fun. I made my own containers using aluminium foil too. I've heard some people use bean flour to make things easier, but I want to be making it from scratch and won't be using bean flour. Oh, how I love moin-moin! I love eating beans in general, so this is a more fun way to eat one of my favourite foods.

Do you like moyin-moyin? Have you made it yourself before? How often do you eat it?

What methods do you use to remove the skin? Do you have tricks that make it easier for you to do so?

What types of meat do you put in the mix? How long do you cook your moyin-moyin?

Any other comments about moyin-moyin? Share them here!

first timer aw old are you pls learn other delicacies b4 he buys dt ring
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 11:10am On Mar 16, 2013
bigfat05: [size=15pt]MOIN MOIN + SUGAR + GARRI[/size] ---> SIMPLY THE BEST cheesy
With super-chilled water..what an antidote for this hot weather ! grin

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by calcal: 11:11am On Mar 16, 2013
yet no single photo of mọin mọyin
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 11:14am On Mar 16, 2013
ARe you fvcking kidding me? Moin moin thread undecided imagine opening a thread for ogi lipsrsealed
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 11:15am On Mar 16, 2013
seems moi moi will be the new garri on nairaland
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by slimyem: 11:20am On Mar 16, 2013
Exactly what I had for breakfast today..
I made it in pans.Good moin moin leaves are a rarity here.
Very delicious!!
Peeling is usually easy for me.My iya-alakara neighbour showed me the secret.smileywink

2 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Chinwem(f): 11:27am On Mar 16, 2013
I once made moi moi paste with curried stock meant for jollof rice for a party
My mum almost killed me then
But it came out tasting bloody good and everyone was sending compliments to the chef...moi smiley
Didn't tell them it was a mistake sha

2 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by raqueal(f): 11:37am On Mar 16, 2013
I remember the first time I made it, I forgot to add vegetable oil and it came out delicious but very dry. Now, I'm a moin moin pro grin and the peeling is the easiest part. Soak it in water for few minutes, say 10 minutes. I don't add corned beef to mine cuz i hate the taste. Gimme Some diced liver, big red crayfish,lotsa dried fish, egg, and lots of onions and we are good to go

2 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 11:43am On Mar 16, 2013
First, be sure to buy the type of beans they call 'olo 1'. It's bigger, cleaner than many other varieties. Do not soak in water. I normally just put in enough water, then start washing out the skin within 5mins. I've noticed this method helps do the job faster than soaking it, which only tend to make it more difficult to remove the skin. After washing, I put in some ingredient in preparation to grind it. I use ata rodo, tatase, lots of onions, (the dried variety, not the purple typle is preferable). I also put in dried crayfish (optional), ginger and garlic (also optional). Then I take it to the local grinders. I've notices it's best done that way rather than using my blender, which doesn't do as good a job, IMO.

After blending, time to put in other ingredients, salt, seasoning, stock of meat or chicken, some boiled mackerel, just whatever you want to pit on. I normally don't put in too much orisirisi, cos I found out the most important of all is using onions, enough pepper, chicken stock and your seasonings. Finally, I prefer using moi moi leaves. The taste is the best. I had to learn how to wrap moi moi using leaves, and it's really good. Another thing to watch out for is the amount of water you add, and this starts from soaking the beans to actually cooking the moi moi. Follow the instructions above, and you'll have people begging you for a taste of it, lol

2 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by denzel2009: 11:45am On Mar 16, 2013
I'm actually going out to buy it today with agege bread.
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 11:52am On Mar 16, 2013
candygosh: Another tip to easily remove the coat is soak with potash.
It softens the coat and makes it come off easily.

The igbos make one that looks like moi moi too called okpa
i loooovvvvvvvveeeeeeeeee okpa grin grin grin every morning in the villa accompanied with bread
moin-moin in my opinion tastes best if its wrapped up in the leafs
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by beeveepee: 12:01pm On Mar 16, 2013
It's one of my favourite foods especially wnen wrapped in leaves. Unfortunately since i mived to abuja, all i could get is 'crap'. The best you can get is the one from Biobak and you may need to break the bank....a piece of moin-moin sells for N145.00. That will buy a whole basket of moin-moin in Ilesha where I come from. How I miss home!
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Kaxmytex(m): 12:15pm On Mar 16, 2013
Hehehe.....i neva hear say dem dey soak beans overnite b4 o...
As 4 me,na instant peeling o....and i prefer using "agolo" 2 leaves when i wan make my own moi-moi
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by shangpearlz(f): 12:21pm On Mar 16, 2013
Beans is 1 of ma favorite meals 2. Dis is how I make moin moin preparation easy 4 me. I pour d measurement in a 'morta',pour a little water n use d pistle 2 hit it SLOWLI n SOFT not as doe am poundin yam,so as nt 2 pieces d bean seed completeli. U cud do dat 4 10min den soak everytin in more water n siv d shaf out. Dis medium takes lesser time 4 me 2 prepare my moin moin.

2 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by touchmeder: 12:26pm On Mar 16, 2013
Another trick soak it for no longer than 10mins or so. Get a pestle and hit it lightly and also turn it around like you are rolling it. Run your hands through it and then wash. Its alot better when this is done and does not take ages.

I find the white beans chaff comes off easily as opposed to the brown one

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by kevoh(m): 12:28pm On Mar 16, 2013
Please ladies stop putting fish, egg, meat, chicken e.t.c inside your moi-moi abeg, It's more like a mission searching for liver or fish when I should just eat my moi-moi and enjoy it.

Let's keep our moi-moi simple abeg. tongue

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by ArQueBusieR(m): 12:29pm On Mar 16, 2013
Not a lover: gives me heartburn.
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 12:36pm On Mar 16, 2013
ArQueBusieR: Not a lover: gives me heartburn.
sorry o grin
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Poolmaster83: 12:42pm On Mar 16, 2013
pLS what is the correct english word for this MOIN MOIN someone help pls
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Blazinraj01(f): 12:50pm On Mar 16, 2013
I make moinmoin every sunday. And the easiest method I've been using is to use 'olo or mortar to break the beans into smaller quantity without soaking. That way, when you pour water, rub it between your hands a little while, the skin come off on their own.
I actually prefer vegetable-made to palmoil-made moinmoin. I also love using leaves preferably to nylon or aluminium cups. Its always fresh with cold pap

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by sobastical: 1:20pm On Mar 16, 2013
If moin-moin lovers can easily get a thread, then garri lovers too deserve one cos its been a long time coming. #equalRight oooo
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by kevoh(m): 1:20pm On Mar 16, 2013
Poolmaster83: pLS what is the correct english word for this MOIN MOIN someone help pls
The correct word is moi-moi, just like spaghetti,pizza for the italians, taco for the mexicans, I can proudly say moi-moi for Nigerians.

Why do you have to find an english word when English should adopt ours when it comes to food? Same goes for akara (not bean cake), eba, amala e.t.c

7 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 1:29pm On Mar 16, 2013
Moi-Moi lover reporting for duty!
Like others, the most depressing thing about the preparation is washing and peeling the beans (especially if you do not have a nice beautiful lady to do it for you-they make it look sooo easy).
Anyhow, if you live in London you could actually buy bags of black-eye beans already prepared/peeled from African corner stores. Voila! 80% of the work done for you. Furthermore, there are actually videos on YouTube on how to prepare Moi-Moi.
By the way, I like mine plain with no meat/fish/etc, with red vegetable oil and heavily spiced and salted.
Keep on Moi-Moing!
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Poolamy: 1:53pm On Mar 16, 2013
bibiji: D fastest way to peel off d back is by simply putting d beans in a mortar pour water to it and pound gently. Am certain abt dis because I make moin moin every saturday as breakfast 4d family. Try dis and u wil b amazed at how easy it is to wash off d bak. Try it and u wil certainly tank me 4 dis info.
ofcourse this is certainly the easiest method. No stress
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by gmcb: 1:55pm On Mar 16, 2013
How on earth did d OP know what was on my mind? On my food menu moimoi is on saturdays, so i made it last night against ds morning to avoid rushing to peel et al.
Like one poster said the big brown beans (guess its called olo 2 or drum in the local market) is the easiest to work with. Dont soak, aint necessary. Pour enough water to cover the surface the first time, sift the chaff and the excess water. Rub between palms for few minutes. When u are satisfied the peel is off, pour in enough water and sift the peel off. Repeat this quickly 3-4times and it should be ok. This shouldnt take more than 20minutes. Add enough onions, tatase or sombo and rodo. NO TOMATOES. Dont overload ur blended beans wt liver, beef, eggs et al or ore two of these options is enough. The simpler the better. Also if there's need to add water after blending, add warm water. Ur veg oil too should be warm. To achieve this i just add hot (not boiling water) with veg oil before introducing.
Blend at the local blenders cos it gives a better consistency of the paste than domestic blender(my observation though)

@all does anyone blend wt the domestic blender and get an excellent consisitency cos i was pissed last nite when the local blender told me i came too late (7pm) to blend. Wish i could do it indoor without her service. If any blender does the job kindly tell me the brand. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by denzel2009: 2:00pm On Mar 16, 2013
Poolmaster83: pLS what is the correct english word for this MOIN MOIN someone help pls

moins

2 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by tonididdy(m): 2:04pm On Mar 16, 2013
clearly girls department...carry on ladies
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by greall1: 2:23pm On Mar 16, 2013
fffff
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by AmenJoan(f): 2:42pm On Mar 16, 2013
gmcb: How on earth did d OP know what was on my mind? On my food menu moimoi is on saturdays, so i made it last night against ds morning to avoid rushing to peel et al.
Like one poster said the big brown beans (guess its called olo 2 or drum in the local market) is the easiest to work with. Dont soak, aint necessary. Pour enough water to cover the surface the first time, sift the chaff and the excess water. Rub between palms for few minutes. When u are satisfied the peel is off, pour in enough water and sift the peel off. Repeat this quickly 3-4times and it should be ok. This shouldnt take more than 20minutes. Add enough onions, tatase or sombo and rodo. NO TOMATOES. Dont overload ur blended beans wt liver, beef, eggs et al or ore two of these options is enough. The simpler the better. Also if there's need to add water after blending, add warm water. Ur veg oil too should be warm. To achieve this i just add hot (not boiling water) with veg oil before introducing.
Blend at the local blenders cos it gives a better consistency of the paste than domestic blender(my observation though)

@all does anyone blend wt the domestic blender and get an excellent consisitency cos i was pissed last nite when the local blender told me i came too late (7pm) to blend. Wish i could do it indoor without her service. If any blender does the job kindly tell me the brand. Thanks

Yes, I actually have one that does the job perfectly. The name is Breville, its made of glass not plastic like most popular blenders. You can also use it for making smooties or crushing ice.
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by mysticgal(f): 2:55pm On Mar 16, 2013
prepared moi-moi a day before yesterday,the best i have ever prepared in ma life.yummy
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by greall1: 2:59pm On Mar 16, 2013
ffffff

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 4:04pm On Mar 16, 2013
Back in the days it was my job to get the beans (white beans) ready before grinding. Used to soak in water, put it in a mortar and use your hands like u wld if u were doin onugbo (bitter leaf) or a pestle if mommy was not in the kitchen.
As for eating, I could eat five wraps in a night, honestly. My sis had to start removing the ones we will eat in the morning, which me made to take out one or two wraps before the heating is turned off. Prefer okpa though..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Recreation Of Bolognese Sauce / How To Make Meat Pie Without Oven, Use Your Pot (Photos, Video) / Cooking Made So Easy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.