Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,135 members, 7,807,444 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! (19547 Views)

Beans Lovers Come In / Moin-moin: To Peel Or Not To Peel The Beans / Fish Lovers Come On In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 8:22pm On Mar 16, 2013
InesQor: @nwando

That your Moin Moin picture is scary o

*runs away*

LOL
That was just off the stove ,hot
I wrap my moi moi in large sizes to make life easier,no house helps in America

The one below is smaller and out of the fridge,perhaps less scary to you lol

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Ivynwa(f): 8:23pm On Mar 16, 2013
InesQor: @nwando

That your Moin Moin picture is scary o

*runs away*

This InesQor man no well-o-o grin grin
Abeg leave the girl make she enjoy her moi moi joor, it will solidify better as it gets colder.
It looks all saucy and softie like that when unwrapped while still very hot.

2 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by InesQor(m): 8:25pm On Mar 16, 2013
nwando:

LOL
That was just off the stove ,hot
I wrap my moi moi in large sizes to make life easier,iI have o use helps in America

The one below is smaller and out of the fridge,perhaps less scary to you lol

LOL correct! cheesy
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 8:26pm On Mar 16, 2013
Ivynwa:

Abeg leave the girl make she enjoy her moi moi joor, it will solidify better as it gets colder.

No mind am
See person wey just cook one moi moi talking to a moi moi veteran lol
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by InesQor(m): 8:27pm On Mar 16, 2013
Ivynwa:

Hahahahahah no mind me o! I'm sure it tastes real good. From her description, she knows what she's doing smiley
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 8:34pm On Mar 16, 2013
Then you can eat the meat on the side
I am salivating at this my picture of yam and stew,Kai
Make I go eat now

3 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Ivynwa(f): 8:34pm On Mar 16, 2013
Ivynwa: ----

I have a good way of quickly getting off chaffs from black eyed peas/beans. I grind it in a blender for a few seconds say 40 seconds to one minute while watching it to make sure that it doesn't blend and get saucy, in other words the blender will break the beans apart thereby tearing out the chaffs. I will pour it out and start removing the chaffs with plenty water poured inside it which makes the chaff to float and can easily run off while draining water from the beans.

You can use a grater to sieve the water if you have the time to pick up some that may want to run off with the chaffs etc. If you have to use this method you have to add additional beans to make up for a little beans that may be blended too fine and run off while sieving.
The beans gets blended soft and saucy for the last time after all the chaffs have been removed.

nwando:

I soak for an hour and put in batches in the blender at the chop cycle for 4 seconds each
Then put in water And the skin comes off easily
You lose some beans but the washing is a breeze

Thankfully here in the USA the African stores now sell skinless dried beans or chopped beans with skin and all you need to do is soak and the skin floats on top.
-----

Yeah Nwando you and I already figured out that very easy method ourselves. Ivynwa gives Nwando a high five. I thought I invented that method. Lol.
Sometimes I don't even bother soaking. Just have the blender split it up for you with water added in of course and the chaffs are all apart and all over the place for you to drain off floating.

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 8:36pm On Mar 16, 2013
Ivynwa:

Yeah Nwando I and you already figured out that very easy method ourselves. I thought I invented that method. Lol.
Sometimes I don't even bother soaking. Just have the blender split it up for you with water added in of course and the chaffs are all apart and all over the place for you to drain off floating.

Do you live here in the USA
I bought some beans recently with the skin already off
I loved it
Let me take a picture of it
It has made my moi moi making so easy

Here

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Ivynwa(f): 8:40pm On Mar 16, 2013
nwando:

Do you live here in the USA
I bought some beans recently with the skin already off
I loved it
Let me take a picture of it
It has made my moi moi making so easy

In my school days I use to remove the chaffs dry it off and blend into powder for quick cooking but it doesn't taste rich and fully natural like the wetty wetty ones.
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by MumyGO(f): 8:48pm On Mar 16, 2013
Havilah93: moin moin elepo moin moin ol'ororo moin moin elédé chei....... grin moin moin eleyin
. guy you are too funny:-D
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 8:52pm On Mar 16, 2013
Ivynwa:

In my school days I use to remove the chaffs dry it off and blend into powder for quick cooking but it doesn't taste rich and fully natural like the wetty wetty ones.

You are so correct
There is still a difference between the one I showed above and the regular beans you wash yourself
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Fhemmmy: 9:16pm On Mar 16, 2013
seunny4lif: Really?Why?Pls,me self never chop moin moin for at least 3yrs nw maybe by God's grace I go chop nxt month.....

I am not saying i have not ate Moin Moin in 10 years oh, i am saying i have not seen the one made in leaves for almost 10 years . . . and i will make sure i try it next time i am in Lagos oh . . . Yes, i have missed it too much

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 9:28pm On Mar 16, 2013
R TRUTH:

i have a friend that uses her philips blender and it works fine.
thank u dear.dis nite I almost bot philips blender but I was not sooo sure it will work.I think I will go back for it.thanks again. u r a darling!
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Fhemmmy: 9:38pm On Mar 16, 2013
yellowpawpaw: thank u dear.dis nite I almost bot philips blender but I was not sooo sure it will work.I think I will go back for it.thanks again. u r a darling!

Can you do us a favor to post the pictures of end to end making of your |Moin Moin on this page and let us feed our eyes, if we can feed our stomach?

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by warlei(m): 10:08pm On Mar 16, 2013
I once tried moimoi without peeling the beans and it was sweeteer and colour brown.the beans peel has its nutrients.

2 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Cheks01(f): 10:27pm On Mar 16, 2013
Nice thread, d best way 2 peel off d bck of beans s 2 simply sock in mortar 4 few minutes n pound gentlely n d bck ll come off witout mch stress.

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 10:54pm On Mar 16, 2013
whitecat007: Two weeks ago when I had some friends over and was going to treat them to my all time favorite food{moin-moin}my guest actually thought I was having a seizure and needed Ambulance during the peeling as they kept asking me if I was okay.

With so many moin-moin lovers, we should be inventing a special peeler for beans

Hehehe grin grin

kevoh: Please ladies stop putting fish, egg, meat, chicken e.t.c inside your moi-moi abeg, It's more like a mission searching for liver or fish when I should just eat my moi-moi and enjoy it.

Let's keep our moi-moi simple abeg. tongue

grin grin
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 10:54pm On Mar 16, 2013
nwando:

I soak for an hour and put in batches in the blender at the chop cycle for 4 seconds each
Then put in water And the skin comes off easily
You lose some beans but the washing is a breeze

Thankfully here in the USA the African stores now sell skinless dried beans or chopped beans with skin and all you need to do is soak and the skin floats on top.

Forget all that fish and pork inside moi moi

Just blend the beans with onions and add Maggi to it
Put some stew or stir fry tomatoes with onions and blend together with the beans
Add your salt,pepper,vegetable oil and crayfish ( if you like crayfish),Cameroon pepper
If you must add anything else,use corned beef and or beaten raw eggs.
Your moi moi will come out delicious,I promise

Thyme,curry and those other spices spoil the taste IMHO

Thanks.
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by seunny4lif(m): 12:29am On Mar 17, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I am not saying i have not ate Moin Moin in 10 years oh, i am saying i have not seen the one made in leaves for almost 10 years . . . and i will make sure i try it next time i am in Lagos oh . . . Yes, i have missed it too much
Ok oooooh
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Fhemmmy: 12:31am On Mar 17, 2013
I am so disappointed that no one could post a pix of moin moin made with leaves here . . . . cry
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by aieromon(m): 3:44am On Mar 17, 2013
Fhemmmy: I am so disappointed that no one could post a pix of moin moin made with leaves here . . . . cry

Its all because of modernisation. My mom still makes her moi moi with leaves. Using nylon or plastic bowl is less messy.

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by aieromon(m): 3:47am On Mar 17, 2013
bibiji: D fastest way to peel off d back is by simply putting d beans in a mortar pour water to it and pound gently. Am certain abt dis because I make moin moin every saturday as breakfast 4d family. Try dis and u wil b amazed at how easy it is to wash off d bak. Try it and u wil certainly tank me 4 dis info.

Will try this out. Thanks. Your family is blessed to have somebody that can make this delicacy every week.
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by aieromon(m): 3:49am On Mar 17, 2013
bigfat05: [size=15pt]MOIN MOIN + SUGAR + GARRI[/size] ---> SIMPLY THE BEST cheesy

Very true,very true.
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by aieromon(m): 3:51am On Mar 17, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: Moin moin, a very good delicacy for a Nigerian's saturday morning.
Expecially with Agege bread or pap. (Come join me for breakfast).
Last Bullet: I love the type of moin moin made with vegetable oil & embedded with smoked-fish, egg, crayfish & others (moin moin elemi meje).

Good to know that people still make/eat ogi. I've had to switch to boring custard to enjoy the moi moi.

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 5:36am On Mar 17, 2013
This thread is definitely not for me..

Number 1 moi-moi hater.
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 7:23am On Mar 17, 2013
warlei: I once tried moimoi without peeling the beans and it was sweeteer and colour brown.the beans peel has its nutrients.
Lazy,Lazy!!! cheesy
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by seyibrown(f): 3:35pm On Mar 17, 2013
MoiMoi lover signing in! grin I'll be trying the loaf shape in that moimoilicious pic next time! wink

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by MissOpe(f): 5:14pm On Mar 17, 2013
oh how i love moin moin because it first sweet me[i][/i][b][/b]

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by denzel2009: 10:37pm On Mar 17, 2013
Hmmmmn divine!

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by onnairaland(f): 1:03pm On Mar 18, 2013
trisurface: Yeah, Moi moi is great.
Some questions:
Why is it called moi moi? Originally, Yorubas call it Ole,I think?

Is there any tribe for whom the food is not local?

Lastly, it keeps quite well.
Refridgerate it. When U need it, bring it out, toss it in light oil, dash of soy sauce, sprinkle bread crumbs and serve.

WHAT? Are u serious? Where are u from?
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 1:36pm On Mar 18, 2013
denzel kai, eating moi-moi with garri and groundnut, cheesy kai u no sabi diet at all
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 1:39pm On Mar 18, 2013
cheesy cheesy cheesy

moi-moi in cake form!
yummy! wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Five Health Benefits Of Agbalumo (african Cherry/star Apple) / Easy Steps On How I Made Ewa Agoyin (Beans And Sauce) With Bread (Photos, Video) / How To Make Meat Pie Without Oven, Use Your Pot (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.