Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,227 members, 7,807,760 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:36 PM

Why Is NL Webmaster Section Not Solution Oriented? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Is NL Webmaster Section Not Solution Oriented? (769 Views)

I Got Rich Through Nairaland Webmaster Section / The Webmaster Section Is The Most Boring On Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is NL Webmaster Section Not Solution Oriented? by Nobody: 4:06am On Mar 13, 2013
I noticed that the webmaster's session here on Nairaland do not provide real solutions to some problem that ppl face. We rather go ahead to advertise our works or ask for site review etc. Let's make it more of a knowladge based section....

1 Like

Re: Why Is NL Webmaster Section Not Solution Oriented? by Afam4eva(m): 12:24pm On Mar 13, 2013
You're right on point. This section is meant to help people out and not to tell them to call you.
Re: Why Is NL Webmaster Section Not Solution Oriented? by nairawall: 2:09pm On Mar 13, 2013
You will only get real solutions when you ask real questions.

Do you have any question within the Nairaland webmaster section that was not answered?
Re: Why Is NL Webmaster Section Not Solution Oriented? by yawatide(f): 4:30pm On Mar 13, 2013
^^^ Like.

In addition:
1) There are no specific rules to posting in this section the last time I checked and if it is that bad, it is up to the moderator(s) to take action.

2) There are actually a lot of solution-based posts on here. The problem, as I see it, is that many don't actually take heed of those solutions, with many taking it as an affront on their person. Eventually, good quality posts often end up becoming beer parlour discussions.
Re: Why Is NL Webmaster Section Not Solution Oriented? by antontech(m): 6:54pm On Mar 13, 2013
Its not all abt solution.i have seen good educative posts here.
Re: Why Is NL Webmaster Section Not Solution Oriented? by omni1: 9:53pm On Mar 13, 2013
yawa-ti-de:
^^^ Like.

In addition:
1) There are no specific rules to posting in this section the last time I checked and if it is that bad, it is up to the moderator(s) to take action.

2) There are actually a lot of solution-based posts on here. The problem, as I see it, is that many don't actually take heed of those solutions, with many taking it as an affront on their person. Eventually, good quality posts often end up becoming beer parlour discussions.

I agree with your points but on another note, people on board from my observations are scared to give answers and be told they are wrong. Nobody wants to tackle a question once it involves his knowledge of coding like PHP, MySQL, and all those Server-side languages. Instead of here, I'm busy getting more reps on Stackexchange and being proud of myself. Gone are those days when codes were posted and counter codes posted to buttress facts.
E.g. I last week wanted to test people here with a post. I asked for the difference between intval() and int() in PHP and not a single soul posted even a letter. What do you think about that scenario?
Re: Why Is NL Webmaster Section Not Solution Oriented? by yawatide(f): 10:01pm On Mar 13, 2013
^^^ I agree with you as well though I think the refusal to answer questions might go back to what was mentioned before that it probably isn't what makes people come here. In my 5+ years of being on here, I think I can deduce that many are coming seeking solutions to problems and to advertise, knowing the power of NL.

Speaking for myself, I also find the new layout dizzying to my eyes. I therefore catch different posts on different days, depending on how good a game my eyes are playing football with my mind cool
Re: Why Is NL Webmaster Section Not Solution Oriented? by omni1: 12:13am On Mar 14, 2013
grin
Re: Why Is NL Webmaster Section Not Solution Oriented? by Ojukwu24(m): 4:51pm On Mar 14, 2013
yawa-ti-de:
^^^ Like.

In addition:

I agree with you. And seriously, because of the beer palour discussion things, NL will be the last place I will ever go to for solution. I think the Moderators should start with rules for posting in this section.
Re: Why Is NL Webmaster Section Not Solution Oriented? by mrkels(m): 10:34pm On Mar 14, 2013
Don't mind them, they mostly care about collecting clients, tarnishing each others image (recently seen in that hosting site that was down and the other trying to collect all other clients in an unporfessional way) they are also experts in hoarding knowledge that many of em don't even know well.
I learnt my lessons since, asked 2 questions about WP here, close to a 100 views, no response. I just took that same problem to another forum and viola, in less than an hour I got more than 7 solutions .
Talk about helping each other here on nairaland. undecided
Re: Why Is NL Webmaster Section Not Solution Oriented? by Slyr0x: 3:42am On Mar 15, 2013
9japipper: I noticed that the webmaster's session here on Nairaland do not provide real solutions to some problem that ppl face. We rather go ahead to advertise our works or ask for site review etc. Let's make it more of a knowladge based section....

I totally agree with you. .

What do you think can be done?

Ojukwu24:

I think the Moderators should start with rules for posting in this section.

There's a "no adverts" rule already. . .This rule was made to help "sane topics" stay relevant. What other rule(s) do you suggest?
Re: Why Is NL Webmaster Section Not Solution Oriented? by sisqology(m): 11:45am On Mar 15, 2013
*omni:

I agree with your points but on another note, people on board from my observations are scared to give answers and be told they are wrong. Nobody wants to tackle a question once it involves his knowledge of coding like PHP, MySQL, and all those Server-side languages. Instead of here, I'm busy getting more reps on Stackexchange and being proud of myself. Gone are those days when codes were posted and counter codes posted to buttress facts.
E.g. I last week wanted to test people here with a post. I asked for the difference between intval() and int() in PHP and not a single soul posted even a letter. What do you think about that scenario?

*faints*
Re: Why Is NL Webmaster Section Not Solution Oriented? by yamakuza: 1:51pm On Mar 15, 2013
mrkels: Don't mind them, they mostly care about collecting clients, tarnishing each others image (recently seen in that hosting site that was down and the other trying to collect all other clients in an unporfessional way) they are also experts in hoarding knowledge that many of em don't even know well.

i dont think we are willingly hoarding knowledge. maybe we are just afraid of being laffed at by the ...

I learnt my lessons since, asked 2 questions about WP here, close to a 100 views, no response. I just took that same problem to another forum and viola, in less than an hour I got more than 7 solutions .

was that also a Nigerian forum, or a foreign one?

Talk about helping each other here on nairaland. undecided

it would have been nice if you'd updated that thread with the solution so that those of us who couldnt comment because we didnt know the answer would have learnt something new, dont you agree?

1 Like

Re: Why Is NL Webmaster Section Not Solution Oriented? by Nobody: 8:42am On Mar 16, 2013
Well to me I think the answer is simple.. Moderators should go hard on ppl that come here to adertize directly or indirectly. No post and titles like "myogaatdtop;your blog for gosip news" no more pls review my site for me though am gilty of that. I think people should emulatate Yar-wa-tide's style of posting cus she is purely solution oriented..

(1) (Reply)

THREAD CLOSED. THANK YOU / Is Seun Monetizing Nairaland Effectively? / Obsolete Post!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.