Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:34 AM

Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating (13264 Views)

Ambode Lights Up Third Mainland Bridge (photos) / Onitsha Bridge Is Vibrating And May Collapse / Niger Bridge Is Falling! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by justokey(m): 8:02am On Mar 13, 2013
Driving to work this morning, I witnessed a very scary scene at the 3rd Mainland Bridge in Lagos. The traffic was moving at a snail's pace as usual, when suddenly I was jolted by a sharp and tremendous vibration. I looked out and noticed that I was atop an expansion joint. What scared me most was that one side of the joint was noticeably vibrating. What I mean is that you could see one part swinging up and down. This happened at exactly the joint where the Lagos bound traffic from Adekunle meet the traffic from Oworoshonki. I was too shocked to take photos/video, perhaps if i have the courage to pass through there tomorrow i will do so.

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by justokey(m): 8:03am On Mar 13, 2013
Mod can you please move this to front page to create enough awareness, maybe someone may read and investigate.

2 Likes

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Caracta(f): 8:33am On Mar 13, 2013
Oh no! This is scary. How do i get home?

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Nobody: 8:41am On Mar 13, 2013
If it is called an expansion joint, then why should it be strange if you noticed vibration from an expanding joint?

5 Likes

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by slimyem: 8:45am On Mar 13, 2013
This isn't news..undecided
I have witnessed the same too.
The repairs done on that bridge last year was a sham or just a face-lift!!
So much for the longest bridge in Africa.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by SamConquer(m): 8:45am On Mar 13, 2013
The Bridge Is ''Vibrating''. . .Please Set The Bridge To ''Ringing Tone''. . .

35 Likes

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by great063(m): 8:46am On Mar 13, 2013
Sixth to comment...Am coming up*singing*

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by chidyke77(m): 8:46am On Mar 13, 2013
Noting to worry abt.

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by abes(m): 8:46am On Mar 13, 2013
I think it is normal, joints are not made to be rigid.

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by mayoroflag(m): 8:47am On Mar 13, 2013
3rd Mainland SHOULD vibrate.

Talk to an engineer...

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by wesley80(m): 8:47am On Mar 13, 2013
Long yawnnnnnnnnn! Perhaps your title should've read "is the third mainland bridge vibrating?" you need a handful of corroborators to come up with a declarative title like yours, for all I know you could've been high on early morning shekpe when you passed the bridge this morning! Did you also see a shark dancing etighi?

17 Likes

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Daresh(f): 8:47am On Mar 13, 2013
SamConquer: The Bridge Is ''Vibrating''. . .Please Set The Bridge To ''Ringing Tone''. . .

Hahahaahhaaha grin grin Good one!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by hustla(m): 8:47am On Mar 13, 2013
SamConquer: The Bridge Is ''Vibrating''. . .Please Set The Bridge To ''Ringing Tone''. . .

u just be mumu ....Pass GEJ sef!

6 Likes

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Daraplato(m): 8:47am On Mar 13, 2013
Mhen! That is bad o.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by justokey(m): 8:47am On Mar 13, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: If it is called an expansion joint, then why should it be strange if you noticed vibration from an expanding joint?

An expansion joint or movement joint is an assembly designed to safely absorb the heat-induced expansion and contraction of various construction materials, to absorb vibration[b][/b]...you don't need to be an engineer to know this.

4 Likes

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Nobody: 8:47am On Mar 13, 2013
justokey: Driving to work this morning, I witnessed a very scary scene at the 3rd Mainland Bridge in Lagos. The traffic was moving at a snail's pace as usual, when suddenly I was jolted by a sharp and tremendous vibration. I looked out and noticed that I was atop an expansion joint. What scared me most was that one side of the joint was noticeably vibrating. What I mean is that you could see one part swinging up and down. This happened at exactly the joint where the Lagos bound traffic from Adekunle meet the traffic from Oworoshonki. I was too shocked to take photos/video, perhaps if i have the courage to pass through there tomorrow i will do so.
Try checking ur car's suspension first. If its ok, then you may be correct about the bridge. I ply 3rd Mainland at least 4 times a day to work and from work.

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by olu4life(m): 8:48am On Mar 13, 2013
hmmmn... I once heard that the vibration doesnt mean much. Abeg person wey sabi wella should educate mem
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:48am On Mar 13, 2013
Oh Please not again.

FYI those joints are MEANT TO MOVE AND VIBRATE!!!

there are like shock absorbers in cars. the bridge is in sections. and balanced on large pillars. there has to be some "cushioning" between the sections and the pillars else it will develop cracks and collapse

the "absorbers" is what they are supposed to be changing when they do their so-called renovation. your guess is as good as mine if they did

when u change your car absorbers, it has a lot more spring and bounce compared with when its damaged and your car body keeps hitting the tires and ground.

if that bridge is going to collapse it wont vibrate, it will develop large cracks in the concrete and come down

SO YES THE DAMN BRIDGE VIBRATES, IT HAS ALWAYS VIBRATED. ANYONE PERCEPTIVE ENOUGH SHOULD KNOW THIS.

i cant imagine what you would do if you were to be walking on foot on the bridge, jump into the lagoon?

15 Likes

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by damola311: 8:48am On Mar 13, 2013

LMAO........grin....abi silent

2 Likes

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by aiyeboy(m): 8:49am On Mar 13, 2013
no be ur fault,nokia tune don tire u abi

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Nobody: 8:49am On Mar 13, 2013
slimyem: This isn't news..undecided
I have witnessed the same too.
The repairs done on that bridge last year was a sham or just a face-lift!!
So much for the longest bridge in Africa.
How? do you drive or u were in a commercial rickety bus? undecided lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by PaulJohn1: 8:49am On Mar 13, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: If it is called an expansion joint, then why should it be strange if you noticed vibration from an expanding joint?

It's still morning bro, the sun intensity is not yet high to make any structural member extend. If at all a structure will expand, it won't be vibrating. And you can't notice any increment in length if structures will extent, you'll need a measuring equipment to detect any increment.

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Emoticon: 8:49am On Mar 13, 2013
Na wao! Hope something is done ASAP.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by damola311: 8:49am On Mar 13, 2013
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Nobody: 8:50am On Mar 13, 2013
yy
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by habanairaland: 8:50am On Mar 13, 2013
Its normal, nothing alarming about the ish...
Byy the way, I made it to the --------- and I'm the fifth to complement.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by oboy3(m): 8:50am On Mar 13, 2013
I know a bit of Engineering,it is normal because metals tend to contract on cooling and Expand on heating,when the dovetail metal expands they lock making it Balanced in the afternoon,so if you go back there in the afternoon you would think it a miracle but its pure Science

2 Likes

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by aiyeboy(m): 8:50am On Mar 13, 2013
instead of u to come out of ur car ,jump 6 times on the spot to see if its strong grin

8 Likes

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by prost80(m): 8:50am On Mar 13, 2013
Mr man what do u expect?Joints expand n contract depending on weather n pressure . The key is it does so within acceptable.I am no civil engr but as an engr all materials undergo this cyclic changes,so pls don't raise unnecessary alarm
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by ochukoccna: 8:50am On Mar 13, 2013
LASG pointed this out some time back that FERMA and the Ministry of Transport are playing politics with this bridge
Even channels TV did a report that the repairs done where mainly cosmetic
Nigeria and her decrepit infrastructure undecided undecided undecided
Recall that the FG through the minister over ruled the LASG when they wanted to shut down the bridge for repairs last year
The simple solution is for the FG to outsource the bridge's management to the LASG barring which you call upon whatever you believe in before& during the time you pass through the bridge

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by born2boink(m): 8:51am On Mar 13, 2013
I thought fashola has done some repairs on the bridge
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by PaulJohn1: 8:52am On Mar 13, 2013
o'boy:
I know a bit of Engineering,it is normal because metal contract on cooling and Expand on heating,so if you go back there in the afternoon you would think it a miracle but its pure Science

Not to the extent of noticing it with your eye, moreso it not yet that hot. You can still look directly to the sun without a shade. I don't expect any expansion not until like 11am in a place like Nigeria

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senate Inflates Remodelling Projects Debts By N26bn / United Nations Position On Biafra / Osoba Group Disowns Falae Over N100m Donation-the Vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.