Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,869 members, 7,798,912 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:09 PM

Don't CALL Us FAT, Call Us Plus Size - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Don't CALL Us FAT, Call Us Plus Size (855 Views)

Burn Belle Fat In Just 3 Months...!! / For Single Plus Size,full Figured,hippy Female Medical Doctors / Food To Make Kids Fat And Healthy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Don't CALL Us FAT, Call Us Plus Size by AyeeIdris(f): 10:01am On Mar 13, 2013
A few months back, I was at a Max shop in Manama with some Nigerian ladies. We were looking at some baby clothes and out of the blue, one lady says ‘Shey you know you are fat’. Raising my eyebrow,I responded “NOO!! Really??’ and she nodded “really”. (I really hate it when people don’t get sarcasm). I found this quite offensive, not because it wasn’t true…………..technically, but it was ill-timed and tactless.
There are a million and one articles and commercials about overweight people. Every Tom, Akpos and Harry have one or the other magic weight loss formula out there, promising quick results. Reality shows like Biggest loser,Extreme make over-weight loss, super size vs super skinny all focus on this. While I cannot undermine the usefulness of eating right and getting healthy, the article is more about fat shaming.
Lets face it. We don’t like fat people.(Using the word fat for morbidly obese people). Yeah, they are funny to look at, but when we see an obese person, the first thing that goes on in our heads is “damn, why would she let herself get this way?’. Some cases of obesity are hereditary, most are lack of willpower and exercise. However the word “fat” is being brandished around for those even slightly overweight. Like my awesome self. I never did consider myself fat growing up. I felt fit, i felt agile. i could do most things even skinny people can’t do. But I was told I was fat. then I was 165 pounds. So i decided to do something about it. Enter in the fad diets, the drugs, the energy drinks. I yoyo-ed myself to a whooping 198 pounds. Was I heavier, yes? Could I still move like a champ ……definitely (in my mind atleast). I had built more bulk and had the most annoying belly and back fat to deal with. One thing I took away from my yoyo diet experience was my love for exercise. (from Zumba,taebo, hip hops abs, belly dancing, walking…..still hate to run and i hate Pilates).

Now I find the word fat offensive. Yeah you probably have an eyebrow raised like why? Fat is fat. A lot of political correctness BS right? Yea, it may be a political correctness BS, but many people do find it offensive. Most people know that they are fat, they DON’T need you to spell it out for them. Employ some tact when dealing with over weight people. Don’t go telling them that they are fat, they need to lose weight. They know that. Except you are family, close friend, a professional doctor or dietician, please shut up. Thank u.
Now the terms I prefer are plus size (thank u Tyra Banks for introducing me to that word), obese or morbidly obese. Even overweight sounds less offensive in my opinion.Yeah i could feel some of the readers rolling their eyes. Plus size….. fat….kini difference. this is the difference.

So to all my plus size ladies, love your body no matter the shape. If you are not happy with it, do something ABOUT it, but please educate yourself before embarking. Even if you are happy with it, never forget the health risks involved.

Visit http://cheekychubby2006./ for original and interesting articles and tidbits

Re: Don't CALL Us FAT, Call Us Plus Size by pinkydaisy(f): 10:41am On Mar 14, 2013
If that is your pic,,,,,you actually do look very nice.
Re: Don't CALL Us FAT, Call Us Plus Size by AyeeIdris(f): 5:16pm On Mar 15, 2013
Thank u

(1) (Reply)

Causes Of Cancer Discovered And How To Aviod Them. / Nma Jealousy Strike / A Hilarious Message On Ebola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.