Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,713 members, 7,805,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:52 AM

Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria (64958 Views)

Guidelines In Obtaining Driver’s Licence For First-timers / FRSC Reveals Real Cost Of Obtaining A Driver's Licence / Old Number Plates, Driver's Licence Expire Sept 31, Says FRSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by nich(m): 12:09pm On Mar 14, 2013
crusufixo:

This is quite an informative thread. Mine expired recently and I have being hearing stories of the processes in getting one and quite frankly its seems frustrating,stressful and scary. So please, can anybody who has gone through the processes, give a detailed explanation ( including costs ) on how to go about it.And also, locations of the offices. I would really appreciate if anyone can respond to this. Thanks

I can imagine how you feel. Mine should expire in another 3 months. Hence, my search for information.

Well, I've been crazily busy at work, but scantily breezed through the VIO website. I aint really gleaned the information therein, but i guess there's love in sharing. The link to the website i came across is http://www.viodvla.com/sl/page.php?pg=Driver%20Licence&subpg=Driver%20License%20Process

I plan to read through properly later on, but everyone is welcome to share their experience and/or information he/she has.

Thanx in advance. One luv to the ogas on top! grin
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by dramendra: 12:12pm On Mar 14, 2013
Now the question is, do our self (elected) leaders wish us well at all? They don't want us to drive again abi what? Now how many of thos public bus drivers have licence? I think its better to start ambushing this officials so that they will know that innocent people have been surfering for their own self created fault. Let me stop now before my oga on top say another.

1 Like

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by gohamburg(f): 12:15pm On Mar 14, 2013
[
quote author=991]Driver's license is a joke in nigeria, even if you don't know how to put key inside ignition, just pay and you will obtain a license for driving.
another name of this country is SORRY!![/quote]

I tell u honestly...Nigeria is the only country I know of where blind men have got driving licenses.

1 Like

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Dee60: 12:15pm On Mar 14, 2013
Nightmare. Just like getting anything from any government office. The present administration has gone into administrative coma. You have to wait sometimes up to 12 months to renew your drivers licence, yet they claim they have automated and they have something called 'SERVICOM' which means nothing but a peace of paper.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Dee60: 12:20pm On Mar 14, 2013
nich:

I can imagine how you feel. Mine should expire in another 3 months. Hence, my search for information.

Well, I've been crazily busy at work, but scantily breezed through the VIO website. I aint really gleaned the information therein, but i guess there's love in sharing. The link to the website i came across is http://www.viodvla.com/sl/page.php?pg=Driver%20Licence&subpg=Driver%20License%20Process

I plan to read through properly later on, but everyone is welcome to share their experience and/or information he/she has.

Thanx in advance. One luv to the ogas on top! grin

Road safety Corp, not VIO is what you should be checking. They will tell you to complete the form online and they go to pay at the bank. When you get to the office (after payyment) you will have to fill another form, longer than the online form (so there is no automation at all). It takes time these ddays and be ready to visit several times before you make a headway. It is either 'server' is down or biometric machine is not capturing.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Korrection(m): 12:25pm On Mar 14, 2013
Yes that's all
trix!:
please is there ANYONE with the new licence?
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by adahib: 12:44pm On Mar 14, 2013
stagger: As of now, Lagos centres do not have any materials for the biometric capture. It is a matter of driving around with the three forms and the teller of payment so that when you are stopped, you present these to the police.

I have never seen this type of nonsense in my life. Where is Osita Chidoka to stop this nonsense? How cna you bring a policy without thought as to the cost implications and logistics?

The same with the calabar centre.no materials for biometric capture. So like you said,i drive around with the forms and teller to present to anybody who is interested in the license.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by networkrecharg: 12:47pm On Mar 14, 2013
please i need a modern Drivers license, HOW MUCH
I hear its 10K now
please help I have 6k (geniuine). 08032724753
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Venchy: 12:47pm On Mar 14, 2013
Can I ask why Federal or state Government lack common sense, why should Licence take 60 bloody days?

If you are making your living from driving, doew that means you are stuck for 60 days or what?

Again can someone explain what licence office means by CAPTURE because there's so many grammar in NIGERIA and why is there no booklet or facilities to produce ORDINARY PHOTO CARD become 2nd world war.

Last month, I misplaced my UK licence while I was in lagos, I did call DVLA from from Nigeria arrange for a replacement which cost £20, within a wk while I was still in Nigeria, my wife rang to tell me my drivers licence have arrived.

The problem in Nigeria is that the past governor is the chaimain of AGBERO and when you go to VIO office, you'll find out that they are all incompetent people and they are not there to serve anybody but to record the amount that goes in their personal pocket.

The government is shit and we are the government, so NIGERIANS have to change their ways of life to bring changes....not just the VIO, LASMA and other road agencies.

3 Likes

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Legalplayerz: 12:49pm On Mar 14, 2013
So they don't actually see you drive before they issue it. LOL.......

1 Like

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by OperaMini1(m): 12:50pm On Mar 14, 2013
Pls is this new licence still enforceable by this year August, before Police go open shop for person head?
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by kencywhite: 12:52pm On Mar 14, 2013
They should make it easy as Jamb Exam registration where you can walk in to authorized business and do the data capture and everything once. Then wait for a short time to receive ur drivers licence through the business centre dats all.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by blank(f): 12:59pm On Mar 14, 2013
We have talked about this before. It was even on the front page.

https://www.nairaland.com/1137999/thread-obtaining-new-f.r.s.c-drivers#13470570

bigtt76: Some Easy Steps.

1. Log on to the FRSC Driver's Licence website https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/

2. Click on the DL Application Tab

3. Select the Renewal of Licence option

4. Proceed to fill out the application and submit on completion

5. Click on Pay Now after Printing out a copy of the submitted forms

6. On the Pay4me payment page, select the Bank Option to print out the Acknowledgment Slip

7. Proceed to any of the designated banks - UBA, Union Bank, Fidelity Bank, First Bank, Sterling Bank, Keystone Bank, Mainstreet Bank,Enterprise Bank, Ecobank, Diamond Bank etc

To Print out Acknowledgment Slip After submission of Form

1. Click on the link https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/dlApplication/renew

2. Enter the following details

Driver's Licence Number
Date of Birth
3. Click on Search to bring up your records and Acknowledgment Slip. Print as desire.

Note you can also pay using the Pay4me eWallet or Card Options (Interswitch Master Card Naira or Verve) to save you stress of going to the bank. See steps below

Please kindly follow this step.

Step 1.
Go to the Federal Road Safety Commission website and click on the Edit Application and enter your Application ID and Date of Birth and click on search to pull up your filled out form.

Step 2.
On the displayed Nigerian Drivers License form showing your filled out details, you should see 'No Payment has been made' click on the pay now button and be directed to the Pay4me payment platform.

Step 3
On the Pay4me payment platform, select the eWallet option for the payment and you will be prompted for your eWallet Username and Password. Enter the details and click login.

Step 4
On successful login, you will see details of the transaction to be paid, check all the boxes and enter your 4-digit PIN to confirm the transaction and click Pay Now to conclude the payment.

Step 5
Click on Print Receipt when you see the page that displays 'Payment Successful' and take along with you that receipt to the Federal Road Safety Commission Office for Biometric Capture.

Note that if you have not change your PIN you will need to do so by login separately on to http://pay4me.com and login with your username and password. When done with the PIN change, repeat Step 1 through to Step 5.

Note you have to select the payment mode - eWallet/Card options

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by blank(f): 1:00pm On Mar 14, 2013
Okoberry: The process starts with your registration on the FRSC portal. Once you conclude this, you print out the form and the payment slip with which you will use to make payment in the bank. What determines what you pay is the status of your licence: whether it is for renewal or new application. If you obtained a fake licence before, your data would not come up in the database. You would need to apply as a new applicant.

You take this printed documents and go to VIO where you would be given other forms to fill. You would go to the bank and make the payment. Consequently, you would do eye test, and a written test which would be marked immediately. I think the pass mark is 60 (can't remember) if you fail, you are asked to come back in a month's time. If you pass, you are given an appointment for Data Capturing at FRSC. Mine was a week after.

The Data Capturing is based on appointment. You must be there on the exact day of your schedule. You can't even gate-crash. The exercise could take the whole day depending on when they get to your name. Names are called in order of document submission to VIO. You could be lucky if some people didn't turn up or came late.

After capturing the data, you would be issued a printed temporary licence only valid for a month after which the plastic licence should be ready. Mine was ready a month and 15 days after, ready for pickup.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by blank(f): 1:02pm On Mar 14, 2013
I have done mine. It took less than 30 days at Sura. Now, i have my temporary one that will expire this month.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by nich(m): 1:07pm On Mar 14, 2013
Thanx blank for the info. Make i put on my 'reading' mind straight away!
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by midetinz(m): 1:22pm On Mar 14, 2013
goldfish80: Last 2 months I did My vehicle license renewal, I brifly asked τhe licensing officer what it would take to get a drivers license renewal,as mine would expire by June, he said its 6k,but because of me, he will take 5k & the card will be ready same day...it doesn't sound difficult to ♍e

That's d problem!!! D 5k own na confirmn fake!!!
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Adefunkei: 1:25pm On Mar 14, 2013
There is no new licence. My colleauge in the office applied, paid and did the capturing since last year. the 60 day slip he was given expired in December 2012, when he made inquiry last month, he was told to bring the 60-day slip for renewal as they dont have the licences yet and might not be available till April.

Your best bet to avoid all these thieves from feeding on you, apply for your renewal and anyone who asks for your licence you present them with the teller/slip or whatever evidence! grin If you pay you give anybody money for the sharp sharp one we used to do before, it is at your risk because they have stopped issuing the old ones
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Adefunkei: 1:27pm On Mar 14, 2013
midetinz:

That's d problem!!! D 5k own na confirmn fake!!!

Thank you! that 5k one is fake!!! Dont fall a victim
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by arbitrage: 1:49pm On Mar 14, 2013
those online filling of forms and payments are just the preliminary. when you get there they will tell you to obtain another hard copy form to be filled. then you will be moving between vio office and bureau of internal revenue office for different stamping, signing, eyes and written tests with test payment also.

after final vio/bir signature/stamping, you will now proceed to frsc office to face biometric data capturing machine. that is where we have been stuck since January. the frsc man even said i could come for the machine capture any date earlier than the Feb 19 that vio office gave me on my stamped forms but their network has been generally down everywhere and not the individual centre machine.

they gave me their numbers to be calling to know when it will probably resurrect. i was asked to try calling back next week again. you can only get temporary licence after data capture to use for 60 days. meanwhile they asked me to photocopy my stamped form page to drive with. so i am using that with my expired licence for now. the expired licence was done a single day proceed(through one of their officers) as i faced machine data capture then at frsc ojodu but the plastic id material finished before my turn and went back next working day to collect it. they have gone worse and sickly now.

if machines that capture biometric data is not bad at the same time but just the network on which it runs, this government needs to tell us how that has become a rocket science that needs to be rectified from space under 2020 timeline. or the ministers of transport and national planning or internal duties need to tell Gej to appoint another special assistant with senior adviser on driving matters before they can make it work? or abuja needs another committee to supply machine? the country is sick and needs spiritual healing and deliverance.

1 Like

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by olede: 1:49pm On Mar 14, 2013
How will someone know the driving license is fake as some take 60days while some in 14days and yet some in 3days
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by teelacruz(m): 1:50pm On Mar 14, 2013
Thanks for this wonderful thread. Mine expired since january and I need to renew badly as I have to avoid these 'thieves'. Please do γφυ know where to take †ђξ form(printed from net) to in ikorodu here or must it be ikeja
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:51pm On Mar 14, 2013
tee_la_cruz: Thanks for this wonderful thread. Mine expired since january and I need to renew badly as I have to avoid this 'thieves'. Please do γφυ know where to take †ђξ form(printed from net) to in ikorodu here or must it be ikeja
My friend did his at Odogunyan.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:52pm On Mar 14, 2013
I paid and was captured in November last year. I was issued the 60-day slip which expired in January. There is no license at the office. They told me to wait. Im still waiting; carrying expired license and expired temporary license.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by moyems(m): 1:53pm On Mar 14, 2013
Hello tweeps. I was @ d FRSC/VIO offices @ Ojodu berger area to process my vehicles papers andd renew my license. Now I have this license which I did less than 2yrs ago and thought am okay where license is concern. When I got to the office to find out how I can renew my vehicle papers/road worthliness/insurance etc I was asked for my license just to confirm if its real or fake and behold they said it was fake and explained to me why. This is what I was made to understand. Doing a license by proxy means u have done a fake license. Proxy means u submitted passports/cash to any individual @ any office as the case may be. The right thing to do is visit a FRSC office, they will check thhe validity and authenticity of ur current license which is the first step. Then if its in their database it means its real but if not it means u did it by proxy and its fake. But for mine, my valid license is fake so I had to present my older license which I knew I did @ a FRSC office in Benin some years ago. This when checked on their system brought my complete data and finally they were able to start off a process for me. They downloaded a form for me which I filled and submited before they could input the data and others in their system. I took copies of these to the bank to pay #6,350 and brought the teller and the documents back to road safety. They directed me to where I and others did an eye test plus an examination which had 20 questions to answer in 5mins. After we finished, an officer took us to another office where they gave us the results of our performances and our documents to go register them @ another office. After doing the registeration, we were told to go to the last office to book a date for capturing and biometrics. My date is 27th Oct 2013. So you see my dear, getting a driver's license in 9ja is now a big deal. The process na die!!! It takes the whole day. Although I was a bit lucky because I paid 500 bucks to an office to hasten a part of the process. You can pay the fee for the license @ Eko bank, UBA and one other bank I can't remember. Here is the fine for defaulters as I was made to understand: driving with a fake license attracts a fine of 20k. Driving with an expired license/papers attracts 20k plus you will have to do the license or papers all over again b4 you car can be released. My candid advice is for everyone to do the new license @ FRSC to advoid these fines.

Thank you all

1 Like

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:55pm On Mar 14, 2013
olede: How will someone know the driving license is fake as some take 60days while some in 14days and yet some in 3days

If you are not captured at their office, it is fake. If you insert your drivers license number and date of birth on their website portal and your details don't come out, you are probably carrying a fake license.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:55pm On Mar 14, 2013
ZUBY77:

Dont worry. It costs 5000 naira and three days here. Just your passport photograph and data.
Contact me
@ZUBY77 thanks i was out for to buy something,just coming & i see ur write up. That is gd i will get in touch with u later.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 14, 2013
moyems: Hello tweeps. I was @ d FRSC/VIO offices @ Ojodu berger area to process my vehicles papers andd renew my license. Now I have this license which I did less than 2yrs ago and thought am okay where license is concern. When I got to the office to find out how I can renew my vehicle papers/road worthliness/insurance etc I was asked for my license just to confirm if its real or fake and behold they said it was fake and explained to me why. This is what I was made to understand. Doing a license by proxy means u have done a fake license. Proxy means u submitted passports/cash to any individual @ any office as the case may be. The right thing to do is visit a FRSC office, they will check thhe validity and authenticity of ur current license which is the first step. Then if its in their database it means its real but if not it means u did it by proxy and its fake. But for mine, my valid license is fake so I had to present my older license which I knew I did @ a FRSC office in Benin some years ago. This when checked on their system brought my complete data and finally they were able to start off a process for me. They downloaded a form for me which I filled and submited before they could input the data and others in their system. I took copies of these to the bank to pay #6,350 and brought the teller and the documents back to road safety. They directed me to where I and others did an eye test plus an examination which had 20 questions to answer in 5mins. After we finished, an officer took us to another office where they gave us the results of our performances and our documents to go register them @ another office. After doing the registeration, we were told to go to the last office to book a date for capturing and biometrics. My date is 27th Oct 2013. So you see my dear, getting a driver's license in 9ja is now a big deal. The process na die!!! It takes the whole day. Although I was a bit lucky because I paid 500 bucks to an office to hasten a part of the process. You can pay the fee for the license @ Eko bank, UBA and one other bank I can't remember. Here is the fine for defaulters as I was made to understand: driving with a fake license attracts a fine of 20k. Driving with an expired license/papers attracts 20k plus you will have to do the license or papers all over again b4 you car can be released. My candid advice is for everyone to do the new license @ FRSC to advoid these fines.

Thank you all
27th October 2013? what? for just ordinary license? I took my eye test, written and road tests, got captured and received my temporary license on the same day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by teelacruz(m): 2:09pm On Mar 14, 2013
ItsModella:
My friend did his at Odogunyan.
Thanks
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by ugochukwumaduka: 2:11pm On Mar 14, 2013
Getting the new drivers license all depends on the state you are in @ d time of application. I did my license renewal in delta state last year and all the application processes took me just a day,from the forms filling to the biometric data capture. D process is abit cumbersome and d officers create so much room 4 egunje-accelerated application processing so nobody should expect lagos license offices to be hitch free,der are just 2 many people and 2 many sharp guy officers also. Pls don't ever pay anybody to do a drivers license for you cos FRSC has a centralised database and if you are doing a renewal, they will search for your previous records. My first license was from ogun state and when I did the renewal in Delta, they pulled up my record to ascertain if it was original. Anybody in lagos planning to get a license should try ogun state ( d ojodu berger office), it just mit be faster than lagos. It was when I did mine.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Venchy: 2:19pm On Mar 14, 2013
60 DAYS INDEED, without no formal driven lessons, THEORY AND PRACTICAL TEST.

I'm not suprise everyone is confused and been messed around, no wondered cars looks like scrap because theres no formal lesson and road awarness..... NIGERIANS I HAIL THEE.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Decency75: 2:20pm On Mar 14, 2013
Guys, well, i did not encounter any difficulty in processing mine. I visited the website filled the form online,choose a center for capturing then went to Sterlingbank to pay. i then went to the chosen center submitted the form, collected another form to an approved driving center, took the driving test, passed, went back, took eye test, then capture. The temporary card issued was suppose to last for 60days from the print date. Note that I did mine on sept, and collect the original by dec, but guys i just collected the original last week. They said the printing machine got bad at Abuja. The printing of the original can only be done at abuja. A fair process?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A Nigerian Made This Tv Stand From A 2017 Mercedes Benz Gle Bumper (photos) / Most Popular Luxury Car Brands And Where They Are Produced(photos) / Help, I Bashed My Friend's Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.