Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,359 members, 7,800,721 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:34 AM

HELP! What Could Be The Problem? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / HELP! What Could Be The Problem? (749 Views)

What Is The Problem With My CHECK ENGINE LIGHT?? / What Is The Problem With This Car Please? / Help, What Are The Dangers Of Using Cars Coverted From Right To Left Hand Drive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HELP! What Could Be The Problem? by vitality22(m): 9:41am On Mar 14, 2013
Car gurus in the house, please i need urgent assistance. I use a Nissan Xterra 2001 model, if i depress my brake pedal to put my ride from Park (P) to Reverse (R), it will be hard to go into Reverse. I will have to depress the brake pedal 3-4 times in quick succession before the gear will go into Reverse (R).
Please i need urgent assistance on this issue, am waiting for candid advices and suggestions if you ever had such an experience.
Re: HELP! What Could Be The Problem? by vitality22(m): 12:59pm On Mar 15, 2013
Hmmmmmmm, guys please let somebody say something, 28 views and no response. Let somebody talk na
Re: HELP! What Could Be The Problem? by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:34pm On Mar 15, 2013
vitality22: Car gurus in the house, please i need urgent assistance. I use a Nissan Xterra 2001 model, if i depress my brake pedal to put my ride from Park (P) to Reverse (R), it will be hard to go into Reverse. I will have to depress the brake pedal 3-4 times in quick succession before the gear will go into Reverse (R).
Please i need urgent assistance on this issue, am waiting for candid advices and suggestions if you ever had such an experience.

since it is am auto start by changing the auto gear box oil but how are the changing of gear when you are driving ? do they change smoothly ?

Also since the brake light switch is linked to the transmission (gearbox) it might faulty maybe the wire are bit lose the signals to the gear box are being affected hence you have to press more than once, the brake switch need to be taken of and close the loop without the switch and see if it get into reverse once
Re: HELP! What Could Be The Problem? by vitality22(m): 1:41pm On Mar 15, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

since it is am auto start by changing the auto gear box oil but how are the changing of gear when you are driving ? do they change smoothly ?

Also since the brake light switch is linked to the transmission (gearbox) it might faulty maybe the wire are bit lose the signals to the gear box are being affected hence you have to press more than once, the brake switch need to be taken of and close the loop without the switch and see if it get into reverse once
Thanks ZIM DRILL, the gear change is ok as far as i know. They change smoothly, ie it does not drag nor make any noise. Thank once more
Re: HELP! What Could Be The Problem? by miccodb(m): 3:15pm On Mar 15, 2013
there is a switch @ the brake lever. check that cos if that swich malfunctions u jus may not be able to switch gears.
Re: HELP! What Could Be The Problem? by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:24am On Mar 16, 2013
vitality22:
Thanks ZIM DRILL, the gear change is ok as far as i know. They change smoothly, ie it does not drag nor make any noise. Thank once more

so let someone check the brake switch, if you are good with d.i.y you can check it yourself

it is under the brake peddle, depress the peddle and you will something moving towards the peddle and thats the brake switch, normaly you get your hand behind it and turn then it comes off

watch the video, i want you to know generally how it looks thought it wont be the same like your

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWjIZBuPLZ0

normaly when i take them out i push the driver's seat to the furthest back position then i lay down facing the roof then put my head where we put our feet then you should see the wire to the brake switch (thats is if the cover is not there) then disconnet the wire and twist the switch to find a position that allows it to come out, once its out physical check the switch

and also test the wire to the switch normally there only 2 wires, get a wire and make a loop (make the wires connect i.e make a complete circuit ) and ask someone to put in reverse BUT IT WILL BE TRICKY SINCE YOU BE LAYING DOWN BECOZ YOU HAVE TO PRESS ON BRAKE PEDDLE FOR THE CAR NOT TO MOVE i assume you wont be using a ramp

if you are a d.i.y person it will be fun but if you are not leave it but if one want to test the switch and wires , the what i said is what is supposed to be done

(1) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Guru And Auto Wizard, Please Help *urgent * / My Suv 'jerks' And Eventually Sopped 'raising', Please Advise. / How Well Do You Know Cars? Can You Identify This One?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.