Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,122 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:02 AM

Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery (13751 Views)

***~How Old Is Your Laptop~*** / Getting The Fastest Internet Speed In Nigeria / How Much Can I Get A Hp Laptop Battery? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by onegig(m): 10:44am On Mar 14, 2013
Yes!!! Congratulations!!! You have done it. The first man from your village to buy a brand new computer system. I know the feeling, the feeling of elation, that feeling that yes you have conquered and arrived.

Although you are all smiles now but I know it has not been easy toiling the length and breadth of the country contributing daily esusu from your “menstrual salary” for so long and now you have landed the bouncing baby laptop.
However my bloda, it’s not yet Uhuru. I know you must have taken the system to your pastor, Woli, Daddy GO, Imam or Dibia to help you bless it and cast away the evil spirits that might want to rub you of your laptop and I can see that the laptop is still shimmering from the holy water sprinkled all over it.
But here’s a fact, the Holy water might mesmerize the Agberos eyes to think your laptop is a bag full of Garri Ijebu but sorry bro the Holy water will not prevent you from destroying the system by the reckless way you handle your laptop and battery.

I have heard tales of people complaining about how they bought their systems within three months back but now the batteries can not hold power for more than 25 minutes before the laptop shuts down.
Every battery has a designed capacity—basically the amount of charge that it's designed to hold. Over time batteries lose their ability to hold a charge. It’s however important to take care of your battery to make sure you get the most life out of it. Some of the telltale signs that your battery is going bad are shorter use times, and subsequently, shorter times to recharge.

What can we now do to get the most of our battery life?

Here’s a list to help you get more out of your battery.
1. Only use a charger and power cord supplied by the manufacturer. In cases of burnt chargers make sure you get a replacement with the same voltage rating.

2. Don't let your battery get too hot (or too cold). A hot battery is a sign of trouble and usually means that your battery isn't working properly. You should stop using it right away. Also, make sure that your battery isn't exposed to extreme temperatures. Batteries are designed to work best at room temperatures. Your battery loses it’s capacity when hot.

3. Use your battery to keep it fresh. Don't keep your computer plugged in all the time.

4. It's a good idea to discharge totally and then recharge your laptop battery about once a month.

5. When using your system normally you should let your battery run down to an average of 30-40% before you recharge it or connect the charger.

6. For gamers, It’s preferable to play games while you are connected directly to a power source(i.e. you have removed your battery.) Due to the excessive heat been generated while you play games. Also avoid using your laptops where there’s poor ventilation like in congested rooms or placing your laptop on foams or on your sofa. By doing this you are blocking the air vents and thus causing excessive heat and further damaging your battery and the system.

7. You are going on a trip and won’t be using your system for long periods. Charge your battery to 70%, shut down and remove the battery and keep it wrapped in a location with normal room temperature. Avoid using (or even storing) batteries in extreme temperature conditions. Keeping your laptop battery in your car hood is a very bad idea.

8. Do not discharge your battery totally so often as once you discharge your battery totally you lose about 2-4% of it’s totally capacity. Lets say you totally discharge your battery 5 times in a day due to you playing your favourite games while there’s no light source you are risking loosing your total battery capacity in few months time.

9. Reduce the battery consumption on your system by disabling excessive screen-savers, unused applications and dimming the screen brightness. You may also click on the battery and select the Power saver mode to reduce battery consumption.

Courtesy: http://onegig..com/2013/03/getting-most-out-of-your-laptop-battery.html

22 Likes

Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by Raypawer(m): 12:43am On Mar 15, 2013
Ok

2 Likes

Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by gafmod: 10:30am On Mar 15, 2013
Nice thread.
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by onegig(m): 10:42am On Mar 15, 2013
gafmod: Nice thread.

Welcome ..Always here to serve you better.

1 Like

Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by mcdokwe(m): 7:02pm On Mar 15, 2013
why is this not on the fp?
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by onegig(m): 7:46pm On Mar 15, 2013
mcdokwe: why is this not on the fp?
abi o....i already suggested for fp already..
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by Maleeq(m): 9:08pm On Mar 15, 2013
onegig: abi o....i already suggested for fp already..

Suggestion received...

1 Like

Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by dljbd1(m): 11:55pm On Mar 15, 2013
Done sir!
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by YusYak: 11:57pm On Mar 15, 2013
Hmmm
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by Samabu07(m): 11:57pm On Mar 15, 2013
Una no dey sleep?

1 Like

Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by Iceslizer(f): 11:59pm On Mar 15, 2013
Is it a good idea to remove my battery permanently and use the direct power source, since I use my laptop mostly at home?
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by Nobody: 12:01am On Mar 16, 2013
my laptop battery is shyte ! it doesnt work anymore......the charger has to be in the laptop whenever i use it, so that the laptop can stay on undecided
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by johnwizey: 12:01am On Mar 16, 2013
Buh no b evrybdy get time for ds one nw
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by Nobody: 12:01am On Mar 16, 2013
good one
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by nbright: 12:04am On Mar 16, 2013
Mine gave me problems after a year and some months of purchase... (HP) I am saving some money to buy a brand new battery rather than go for an "acid recharge" (whatever that means)..
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by NEROSKY(m): 12:05am On Mar 16, 2013
Korrect yan!!!
you re rice right!!
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by nbright: 12:05am On Mar 16, 2013
adaobi123: my laptop battery is shyte ! it doesnt work anymore......the charger has to be in the laptop whenever i use it, so that the laptop can stay on undecided
congrats... You are now a proud owner of a desktop... Na play o

2 Likes

Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by nbright: 12:08am On Mar 16, 2013
Iceslizer: Is it a good idea to remove my battery permanently and use the direct power source, since I use my laptop mostly at home?
I won't try it... With this phcn and their wahala you will now expect me to plug my system direct to a power source without battery!.... Na lie o...
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by momodub: 12:08am On Mar 16, 2013
nice one i use mine at home for more than one year without battery i plug straight on my batt is still like new
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by Iceslizer(f): 12:09am On Mar 16, 2013
nbright: I won't try it... With this phcn and their wahala you will now expect me to plug my system direct to a power source without battery!.... Na lie o...

Assuming there is a steady power supply, is it a good idea. Just to prolong the life of my battery?
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by Nobody: 12:10am On Mar 16, 2013
nbright: congrats... You are now a proud owner of a desktop... Na play o
undecided
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by huninaija(f): 12:14am On Mar 16, 2013
adaobi123: my laptop battery is shyte ! it doesnt work anymore......the charger has to be in the laptop whenever i use it, so that the laptop can stay on undecided

Same with mine, it's a Dell Inspiron had it for over 3 years so its tried, after dropping it countless times.. grin
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by Nobody: 12:16am On Mar 16, 2013
huni_naija:

Same with mine, it's a Dell Inspiron had it for over 3 years so its tried, after dropping it countless times.. grin
lool i guess the dropping caused the battery to stop working properly grin grin.i havent had this laptop for 2 years yet undecided
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by W3xy1(m): 12:17am On Mar 16, 2013
noted.
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by Nobody: 12:19am On Mar 16, 2013

Soak it in water for 10 minutes.
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by Nobody: 12:20am On Mar 16, 2013
Richfella:

Soak it in water for 10 minutes.
undecided undecided
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by Iceslizer(f): 12:30am On Mar 16, 2013
Iceslizer: Is it a good idea to remove my battery permanently and use the direct power source, since I use my laptop mostly at home?
WON'T NOBODY ANSWER THIS QUESTION? angry angry angry
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by oshorlabyC(m): 12:44am On Mar 16, 2013
Eshe oEshe oEshe o
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by Nobody: 12:49am On Mar 16, 2013
that sounds like television to me.
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by Valiantvaliant(m): 12:55am On Mar 16, 2013
Iceslizer:
WON'T NOBODY ANSWER THIS QUESTION? angry angry angry
just purchase a desktop computer
Re: Getting The Most Out Of Your Laptop Battery by kinsab(f): 1:30am On Mar 16, 2013
Over 2yrs of use, My laptop batery use to be good but since 2 months now it just mark a red bad sign on the battery icon, since then if I charge it is nolnger holding current ah..... I'm tired of this battery wahala...oo and I guess it have spoil shocked pls how much can I get Original direct come hp pav.batry now?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Forgot My Bank Account Number, What Do I Do ?? / Pc Language Set To German - How Do I Change To English ? / Make Your PC More Secured With These TIPS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.