Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,495 members, 7,808,832 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:36 PM

Pope’s Childhood Sweetheart Stunned, Says Never Expected Him To Be Pope - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope’s Childhood Sweetheart Stunned, Says Never Expected Him To Be Pope (697 Views)

Stunned Builder Finds Image Of Jesus Christ On A Plank Of Wood – SEE PHOTO / Afro Fusion Artiste 'gaise Baba' Marries His Sweetheart 'funto Oni' Today / Pope's Childhood Sweetheart Rejected His Marriage Proposal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope’s Childhood Sweetheart Stunned, Says Never Expected Him To Be Pope by shevon: 1:58pm On Mar 15, 2013
The world’s first Latin American Pope’s childhood sweetheart never knew that her decision to turn down his ‘marriage proposal’ would eventually drive him to lead the 1.2 billion Catholic Church.

Amalia Damonte, now a retired pensioner, revealed to reporters in Buenos Aires that Jorge Bergoglio, then 12 years old, had a ‘crush’ on her and sent her a letter in 1948 or 1949 declaring his undying love, reported Daily Mail.

A screenshot of Amalia Damonte speaking to reporters in Buenos Aires.
“It said we were going to get married and he drew me a house where the two of us could live together. He said that if I didn’t say yes, he would have to become a priest. Luckily for him, I said no!” she said.

Damonte was stunned when television channels flashed Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio as the Bishop of Rome.

“I froze in front of the television. I couldn’t believe that Jorge was the Pope!”

On being asked why she said no to him, Damonte said, “What I wanted was for him to disappear from the map. My father had hit me because I had dared to write a note to a boy. I never saw him after that – my parents kept me away from him and did everything possible to separate us,” reported The Telegraph.

Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio was elected Pope on Thursday, 14 March. On Sunday, 17 March, the Pope will recite the first Angelus of his papacy from the papal apartments overlooking St. Peter’s Square, as is customary.

http://www.firstpost.com/world/popes-childhood-sweetheart-stunned-says-never-expected-him-to-be-pope-662952.html

Re: Pope’s Childhood Sweetheart Stunned, Says Never Expected Him To Be Pope by PastorOluT(m): 2:36pm On Mar 15, 2013
Such is life, which is why we should treat well all d ppl dat come our way, we dont know what d future hold 4 dem n us!

2 Likes

Re: Pope’s Childhood Sweetheart Stunned, Says Never Expected Him To Be Pope by shevon: 4:30pm On Mar 15, 2013
^^^ You are absolutely correct.
Re: Pope’s Childhood Sweetheart Stunned, Says Never Expected Him To Be Pope by Nobody: 4:55pm On Mar 15, 2013
Although this story is different, however, the morale of this story is; don't mess anybody no matter their position, they maybe connected to someone who may whoop your a$$ in future.
Re: Pope’s Childhood Sweetheart Stunned, Says Never Expected Him To Be Pope by italo: 7:34pm On Mar 15, 2013
She rejected him and never saw him again... Now she seeks to associate her name with his.

Human beings! Women!
Re: Pope’s Childhood Sweetheart Stunned, Says Never Expected Him To Be Pope by Nobody: 10:03am On Mar 16, 2013
Can he sleep with her now? lipsrsealed

(1) (Reply)

Oprah And TD Jakes "Ministering" At The Same Christian Gathering??? / What Kind Of Prophet Of God That Will Marry A 6year Old Girl? / Applying 2 Tim. 3:16 To The Rest Of The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.