Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,069 members, 7,807,205 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:04 AM

I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 (2139 Views)

Cheap Brand New Nikon D7100 For Sale / I Need A New Nikon D90 For Sale. / Nairalander Makes Nikon I Am Football Photography Competition Top 20 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by toluxa1(m): 8:38pm On Mar 15, 2013
Hello guys. I recently bought a new Nikon D5000 from amazon. I gave it to someone who used it for a few days and when he brought it back he said the pictures were not clear. I checked it out myself and discovered the pictures are very blur. With or without flash, its really really blur. My guess it that probably the settings was tamppered with. I have uploaded a few pictures I took with it while testing. I have greatly reduced the size but you can clearly see they was terribly blur from the start.

[size=16pt]PLEASE I NEED HELP/SUGGESTIONS URGENTLY[/size]

Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by toluxa1(m): 8:40pm On Mar 15, 2013
More

Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by Briareos(m): 12:57am On Mar 16, 2013
First of all, I need to ask you - do you have any idea whatsoever on how to operate the camera?

Do you know the lens on the camera?

Try changing the lens to auto focus (if available on the lens)...

If not - try to adjust the focus ring at the very end of the lens. I'm assuming that you don't know how to operate the camera - so, pardon me if my answer seems foolish to you.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by xzibukz(m): 1:07am On Mar 16, 2013
first turn off the VR on the lense.
Put the lense on autofocus.
change the rotation mode to "P" programme.
pop up the flash,and take a shoot outdoor.
*do factory reset before doing the above options*

possible problem:
the lense might be changed or replace by the person u gave it to.
tge lense is fragile,little drop can cause the problem.

if the problem persist,try using another lense on the Nikon D5000 body
or
try given it to a pro to reset it for you.
goodluck bro.
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by VillageBoi(m): 4:48am On Mar 16, 2013
As Briareos and xzibukz said turn the lens to auto focus (if available). It shouldn't be the VR. I've just looked at the meta-data of all the pictures - most were taken at 1/60th of a second - being hand-held could account for them being blurry. The third picture down from the top (the first pic of a chair) was taken at 1/30th so definitely no chance of that being sharp without using a tripod. As a starter try not to shoot hand-held any slower than 1/125 as you'll introduce camera shake. I am assuming your VR is actually off (if you are using a VR lens). This might sound stupid but are you half pressing first to give the auto focus a chance of locking before fully pressing the shutter?

The most surprising picture is the 2nd one as it was shot at 1/200 @ f4.5 - that one should have been sharp even with the VR off... but then again we don't know where the focus is set to. Can you tell us what lens you are using?

Also as Briareos asked - Do you know how to use your camera? How do you hold the camera? Are you using the viewfinder or live-view? Is it pressed against you eye with your elbow tucked in? Most blurry picture issues are new-camera-owner-syndrome.

Read the manual and get back to us if it still continues.
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by toluxa1(m): 2:06pm On Mar 16, 2013
Thanks so much guys. Finally I have been able to get it to take great pictures even before coming back to see your replies. I'm mobile right now but once I am on PC I'll give details. In summary though, the Focus mode (of the camera not lens) was set to MF (Manual Focus), while on the lens it was set at A. So I couldn't even roll the lens for manual focus. I expected it to auto focus when I press the shutter half way before. Now that I changed it to AF-A, it does that well. I'm also more familiar with the lens now after reading the manual. Remember the camera didn't spend a day with me before I gave it out. I'm yet to know how to set shutter speed though, as mine seems to auto change it by itself. Sometimes its on 1/125, when I move the camera to another position it changes to 1/65...1/250....etc.
I'm kinda new to the camera so I know I still have a lot to learn but I'm not totally out of know as Briareos said.

@xzybuks. With regards VR, you said it should be off? Its presently ON right now and still works fine. Why do you say it should be off if I may ask.
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by VillageBoi(m): 2:55pm On Mar 16, 2013
toluxa1:
@xzybuks. With regards VR, you said it should be off? Its presently ON right now and still works fine. Why do you say it should be off if I may ask.

Let me quickly say something here. Even though I am a Canon shooter and ours is IS (image stabilisation) Nikon calls theirs VR (vibration reduction) the general principal is the same. Normally if you are shooting at 1/500 or faster it should be OFF. If you are shooting any slower than that hand-held then it should be ON and if you are on a tripod you want it OFF even if using very slow shutter speeds.

All the above are 'general' rules... there will be times when you change them and do the opposite. But with time you'll figure out more.

Glad to hear you resolved the issue and read the manual. Have really good fun with it.
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by toluxa1(m): 3:00pm On Mar 16, 2013
Thanks bro.
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by bolaige: 3:19pm On Mar 16, 2013
Pls i nid sum1 to teach me photography...alrdy bought a camera...am ready to pay 4d services.
A gud photographer shud reply me asap...
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by xzibukz(m): 4:01pm On Mar 16, 2013
toluxa1: Thanks so much guys. F

Sm1 said it all.
I thought you are to sell the camera,Nikon D40 is meant for starter like you,that camera is for semi-pro.
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by VillageBoi(m): 5:27pm On Mar 16, 2013
bolaige: Pls i nid sum1 to teach me photography...alrdy bought a camera...am ready to pay 4d services.

A good photographer will tell you to go out and shoot alot, play about with all the settings, read the manual & how-to photography articles online and practice, practice, practice.
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by daroz(m): 7:07pm On Mar 16, 2013
toluxa1: Thanks so much guys. Finally I have been able to get it to take great pictures even before coming back to see your replies. I'm mobile right now but once I am on PC I'll give details. In summary though, the Focus mode (of the camera not lens) was set to MF (Manual Focus), while on the lens it was set at A. So I couldn't even roll the lens for manual focus. I expected it to auto focus when I press the shutter half way before. Now that I changed it to AF-A, it does that well. I'm also more familiar with the lens now after reading the manual. Remember the camera didn't spend a day with me before I gave it out. I'm yet to know how to set shutter speed though, as mine seems to auto change it by itself. Sometimes its on 1/125, when I move the camera to another position it changes to 1/65...1/250....etc.
I'm kinda new to the camera so I know I still have a lot to learn but I'm not totally out of know as Briareos said.

Pls can u take and post some pictures for us to see here on nairaland? I really need to see d quality of d pix d cam can take
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by VillageBoi(m): 7:53pm On Mar 16, 2013
daroz:

Pls can u take and post some pictures for us to see here on nairaland? I really need to see d quality of d pix d cam can take

The Nikon D5000 takes very high quality pictures; that should be the least of your worries. But if you have to see samples just google it... not sure but I think just low-res pictures can be posted here on Nairaland.
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by xzibukz(m): 8:04pm On Mar 16, 2013
daroz:

if you plan to buy Nikon d5000, i suggest u upgrade tothr nikon d5100 which cost below #110k
Reasons:
Nikon d5000 = 12mp
Nikon d5100 = 16mp
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by xzibukz(m): 8:09pm On Mar 16, 2013
VillageBoi:

The Nikon D5000 takes very high quality pictures; that should be the least of your worries. But if you have to see samples just google it... not sure but I think just low-res pictures can be posted here on Nairaland.
yea but it not reliable with "white balance" if u know what i mean and the aperture usually change itself on the nikon d5000.
if u are a pro. the nikon d5000 body cant autofocus on some lense because it doesn't have inbuilt autofocus motor unlike Nikon d80,d90 e.t.c
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by VillageBoi(m): 11:55pm On Mar 16, 2013
xzibukz:
yea but it not reliable with "white balance" if u know what i mean and the aperture usually change itself on the nikon d5000.
if u are a pro. the nikon d5000 body cant autofocus on some lense because it doesn't have inbuilt autofocus motor unlike Nikon d80,d90 e.t.c

Thanks for that. I just read up more about the camera - it's an ok entry-level/intermediate camera and like ALL others it has pros & cons. As said I'm a Canon shooter, however, people do take brilliant photographs with the D5000 too as seen here - http://www.flickr.com/cameras/nikon/d5000

One issue a lot of us have is the I-want-the-very-best syndrome thinking it will automatically make us superb overnight, forgetting they have to put a ton of work into becoming very good. Even a 12 year old DSLR with only 4mp will produce amazing photographs. It's not the camera but the shooter and his/her know-how.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by toluxa1(m): 11:04am On Mar 18, 2013
xzibukz:
if you plan to buy Nikon d5000, i suggest u upgrade tothr nikon d5100 which cost below #110k
Reasons:
Nikon d5000 = 12mp
Nikon d5100 = 16mp

Do these REALLY matter?
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by xzibukz(m): 7:21pm On Mar 18, 2013
toluxa1:

Do these REALLY matter?
yea,for pro especially when you want to print in large format.
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by toluxa1(m): 8:27pm On Mar 18, 2013
Okay, yea. unto resolution things ba?
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by VillageBoi(m): 9:58pm On Mar 18, 2013
toluxa1: Okay, yea. unto resolution things ba?

I doubt you will be priniting billboard size so 12-18mp doesn't make that much of a difference. Tops right now you'll be priniting magazine page size abi? There is so much more than the mp count when it comes to priniting. For now don't worry yourself with such things, just go out and practice, practice, practice.
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by toluxa1(m): 11:04pm On Mar 18, 2013
^ I agree.
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by Agbeke2013: 4:20am On Mar 19, 2013
bolaige: Pls i nid sum1 to teach me photography...alrdy bought a camera...am ready to pay 4d services.
call me on 08036674361, i am in lagos
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by toluxa1(m): 7:30am On Mar 21, 2013
Guys, please I will like to know if anyone knows about these mini printers used for instant photo printing. I need to know which is best, the different ones and cost. Thanks
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by daroz(m): 9:49am On Mar 21, 2013
I plan to buy canon 550D or 600D cos they are both up to 18mp also have video recording capacity. Who do u guys think?
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by VillageBoi(m): 1:13pm On Mar 21, 2013
daroz: I plan to buy canon 550D or 600D cos they are both up to 18mp also have video recording capacity. Who do u guys think?

If that is your range do go for the 600D just for the flip-out screen only... it's so helpful during video. I have a 7D & 60D and prefer using the 60D for video because of the screen... sometimes I shoot locked off stuff like this short clip below (without the flip-out screen the opening shot in the supermarket would have been far more difficult to get as I placed the camera on a shelf with the screen facing out) -

I also used the 60D screen as an alternative 'angle' in the interview section - filming the screen flipped out with the 7D as 'B' Cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm6_OMhnPY0
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by xzibukz(m): 3:14pm On Mar 21, 2013
toluxa1: Guys, please I will like to know if anyone knows about these mini printers used for instant photo printing. I need to know which is best, the different ones and cost. Thanks
hiti Printer
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by toluxa1(m): 3:49pm On Mar 21, 2013
Which Model? Like how much is it?
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by Agbeke2013: 5:09pm On Mar 21, 2013
Call me on 08143648186
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by xzibukz(m): 10:04pm On Mar 21, 2013
toluxa1: Which Model? Like how much is it?
hiti s420 or s6** .
if u want a mobility Printer,
canon selphy is the best which can run on battery but with high cost of paper compare to hiti.
just like #500 diff in paper cost.
hiti cost #25k-30k
canon selphy800 cost #25k with the battery
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by toluxa1(m): 12:03am On Mar 22, 2013
Thanks for this info bro, I really appreciate. I kinda like the canon. But I looked it up and discovered there is a cp900 (with wireless ) which is cheaper than the cp800 (and more recent). The price difference is kinda much on amazon so I was wondering if there is some major stuff the 800 has that the later 900 doesnt. Still checking
Re: I Need Help With My New Nikon D5000 by xzibukz(m): 12:39pm On Mar 22, 2013
toluxa1: Thanks for this info bro, I really appreciate. I kinda like the canon. But I looked it up and discovered there is a cp900 (with wireless ) which is cheaper than the cp800 (and more recent). The price difference is kinda much on amazon so I was wondering if there is some major stuff the 800 has that the later 900 doesnt. Still checking
cp900 doesnt have battery compatible

(1) (Reply)

Music Videos And Some Complaints / I Urgently Need A Graphic Designer: Ebook Cover And Banners / Cinematographer/director Needed At Media Production Company In Ikeja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.