Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,768 members, 7,802,349 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:54 PM

About Native Wears - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / About Native Wears (1917 Views)

Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / The Beauty Of Edo Brides And Women In Their Native Attires / Native Wears' Lovers , Meet Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

About Native Wears by illicit(m): 12:03pm On Mar 16, 2013
There is nothing so native about the contemporary african not even the so called native wears, these fabrics are foreign and so made, our forefathers dont wear these fabrics, their fabrics and costume werent fashioned and tailored in this way, so the question is HOW and WHEN did the iro and buba, agbada and sokoto with a native cap or the modern buba and sokoto comprising the Senator styled up and downs become the Native african dressing, all these can be traced to the trans saharan and lately the trans atlantic trade periods, native africans dont dress this way originally.
We were more or less nudists, i know of some remote tribes even as at today that still go about in their original adam and eve costume or just barely clothed with bare leaves or strips of animal leather, these are africans and so so native, it all comes down to the fact that we werent wearing those clothes before the white men came and so they aint in no way native, they are so so foreign.
Theres not much difference between an european suit and the buba and sokoto, they are of the same fabric, its only the style, the texture the fashion and the tailoring that differs.
You must be thinking about the Aso Oke now, even that has its roots and origin in the far and near east i.e the Arabs, where most african tribes claim to come from too. Africans didnt invent the aso oke, the asians did, however we made the animal skin and forage clothing for ourselves and dis too is universal, even the white men were so dressed before the advent of civilisation.
Dear african i feel your pain, i understand why we need an identity, but we shouldnt be that desperate to claim what is not ours; lets promote what is originally ours ;like our disappearing languages and pratically our diets, our traditional family life and ties and communal living which the americans had lost and now struggling to recover etc other than claiming some oriental and western export way of living.
Howbeit, you african who claim to be so down to earth and native, let me ask you, when you are fully dressed in your so called native attires with all its traditional adornments, do you the proceed to drive a native car? do you live in a native house i.e the tradional and original african mud and thatch huts? do you consult a native doctor when you or anyone in your household is hurt or running temperature? do you do a white collar job or you work in the farms with the now obsolete cutlass and hoe? NO YOU DONT! SO DONT BE SO HYPOCRTICAL!
The only african heritage you can help promote to the wide world is our tongues and diet, the world has seen enough of your fake wears, they aint original, BE REAL.
N.B what i despise most in the life of the modern african is his tendency to to teach his wards the English language even before the child can say a syLlable in the native tongue, this is really bad. I mean why should you give your children foreign names (Biblical and Arabic names included) when you have better or equivalent names in your own language that you can be proud of?
Dear fellow african you wouldnt do any of tbe above, but you would rather scream blood and treason when another black fellow wears a three piece suit?
In this case the way you dressed have nothing to do with how you are adressed, what you you are called or how you speak might change your address.
THANKS.
Re: About Native Wears by ifyalways(f): 9:34pm On Mar 16, 2013
So,whats the rant about?anyone forced you to put on native wears?
Live and let live. undecided
Re: About Native Wears by Nobody: 11:30pm On Mar 16, 2013
I really hope you were wearing animal skins while typing this in the spirit of being traditional. grin
Anyway, everyone at one time graduated from wearing animal skins to wearing a cloth.
So what is wrong for the African to graduate too?
The African has been able to use both indigenous and foreign fabrics to design a beautiful and cultural statement for itself.
I think that should be applauded and not over analysed.
Re: About Native Wears by illicit(m): 12:00am On Mar 17, 2013
ifyalways: So,whats the rant about?anyone forced you to put on native wears?
Live and let live. undecided
i was actually talkin abt those people who think its wrong to dress like an american saying we av our own native wears which actually aint even ours in the 1st place
Re: About Native Wears by illicit(m): 12:04am On Mar 17, 2013
stillwater: I really hope you were wearing animal skins while typing this in the spirit of being traditional. grin
Anyway, everyone at one time graduated from wearing animal skins to wearing a cloth.
So what is wrong for the African to graduate too?
The African has been able to use both indigenous and foreign fabrics to design a beautiful and cultural statement for itself.
I think that should be applauded and not over analysed.
bro we r like saying the same tins, we use to wear skins till we found somtn better, so skins shd be our native wears if theres somtin like dat nw, i am wearin a shirt and a jean shorts while i typed dis
Re: About Native Wears by illicit(m): 12:57pm On Dec 13, 2020
cheesy

1 Like

Re: About Native Wears by MustyKay0(m): 7:22pm On Dec 17, 2020
[quote author=ifyalways post=14790068]So,whats the rant about?anyone forced you to put on native wears?
Live and let live. undecided[/How- To Tips.

How To Review A Book.
How To Write A Business Plan
How To Avoid Acne.
How To Start A Blog.
How To Play PS 5 on PC.
How To Detach A Gas Cylinder.
How To Improve English
CAREER AND EDUCATION.
PERSONAL CARE & ADVICE.

https://www.tipsmint.com/?tin=98

(1) (Reply)

THISDAY: What Did The Blackman Do To Deserve This Suffering. / Which of the Women of These Two Tribes Gossip Most / Why Don't Afro-Caribbeans Receive The Same Flack As Black Americans?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.