Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,773 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors (5193 Views)

Study Medicine(MBBS),engineering,business Admin, And Economics In China. / I Need ICAN Study Packs For Business Law And Economics And Business Environment / Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Zico0(m): 12:57pm On Mar 16, 2013
I open this thread for finance and business majors in the institutions like me so that we can discuss and tackle questions and topics in courses offered in the finance and economics department, as well as challenge ourselves, and prescribe books. Not every lecturer offer students the luxury of throwing questions at them at will. I intend for us to make concrete contributions probably with references to back them and the key is to find meaning and understanding in our field of study. I also intend for this thread to be perpertually existent; to serve as an instrument of learning as we further in education. Who knows, perhaps in the end, we may form a syndicate of economists and finance individuals that will take on the ministry of finance or finance offices in the public service lol.
However, i'm a beginner, so please pardon my ignorance.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Zico0(m): 1:06pm On Mar 16, 2013
Our contributions is the oil that will keep this thread smoking. If you have seen this, show your interests. I already have a stack of questions for us to tackle.
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Caracta(f): 1:53pm On Mar 16, 2013
Ok. I'm in grin
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Zico0(m): 3:57pm On Mar 17, 2013
Ok
happy sunday
Now, in the course of studying i bumped into a question. They say the central bank is the apex financial institution in any country and it is the bank that issues the legal tender money. The CBN dosen't issue money for free, so how does the currency circulate?
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Zico0(m): 2:16pm On Mar 18, 2013
Assuming all federally generated revenue is kept with the CBN: In Nigeria, at present, the oil industry would be accountable for a greater part of the fund, and we are paid in dollars. Therefore, part of this fund will form our foreign exchange reserve as reserve currency and the other part would be expended as stipulated in the budget. Inotherwords, one way by which the currency might be able to circulate would be through domestic government spending. Therefore one would have to work in the civil service or with an employer who works or have worked in the civil service to get the currency.
Someone challenge this assertion.
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Joe5(m): 9:52pm On Mar 18, 2013
@zico
you are not completely wrong neither are you completely right.
first, your assertion above is tainable only on the assumption the central bank is the only financial institution in existence.
secondly, George Mankiw said that economics is no activity (ies) planned and executed by one single institution (the government) but a series of interactions involving both the government, individual households and firms. the implication of the above economic thought is that government alone can not at any point 'effectively' administer economic activities involving such aggregate factors as employment, income, price stability etc

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Zico0(m): 11:35pm On Mar 18, 2013
Joe.:
@zico
you are not completely wrong neither are you completely right.
first, your assertion above is tainable only on the assumption the central bank is the only financial institution in existence.
The central bank of Nigeria is the 'sole' issuer of legal tender money throughout the federation (NSPM, structure)
Issue: to give sth to sb, especially officially (oxford)
The annual labour of every nation is the fund which originally supplies it with all the necessaries of life which it annualy consumes... (Adam Smith). Therefore the value of production by a country is expressed as its money.
Now, our economy's main income-base is in the oil industry.
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Zico0(m): 12:03am On Mar 19, 2013
Joe.:
@zicoGeorge Mankiw said that economics is no activity (ies) planned and executed by one single institution (the government) but a series of interactions involving both the government, individual households and firms.
the activity of issuing money is done solely by the CBN, asforementioned. The money come from trading crude oil through NNPC based on Smith's standpoint :the US dollar would be the most widely-accepted currency in the world, therefore we would be paid in so. This money so paid would be remited in a account that the CBN would be responsible for. The CBN is the only giver of naira. He would give to government to carry out domestic spending, that way there will be money in circulation.
Now, private firms, there incomings are for there private pockets after excise duties has been discounted which would be kept with CBN also.... What do you say to these, for now.
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Nobody: 2:36pm On Mar 19, 2013
At this critical economic depletion, is it wise for Nigeria to privatize?
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Nobody: 3:02pm On Mar 19, 2013
nnafather: At this critical economic depletion, is it wise for Nigeria to privatize?

There is no depletion in fact. There is growth and i mean real growth especially in the agric sector. Privatisation to well-known world class companies for infrastructure development, Financial Services, IT, Communications, Audit, Airport management, etc is the best thing that can happen to a country like Nigeria. It breaks the stronghold of lazy public servants and unnecessary government interventions in the free market.

As you can see, not much attention to this thread cos even the public servants who could present their views on privatisation are busy eating AMALA in the office with very little regard for anyone and anything else undecided

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Jaggiey: 3:10pm On Mar 19, 2013
@ZICO: I still try to understand the logic of your argument. However, I can say this. For the energy companies into oil exploration(Upstream) such as Shell, Agip-Naoc, Exxon Mobil, Addax Exploration, Chevron etc, the crude they lift if it is not under a joint venture arrangement is expected to be sold to their offshore clients and the proceeds transferred to nominated foreign accounts. Usually, since the oil price is denominated and exchanged in USD, it is expected that the funds will sit in the account that should be domiciled in the US or even in nigeria(although same virtual float sits in the US). Such portion will and should not come to CBN. Therefore, the oil companies when they need to spend naira for the cyclical transactionary purpose normally will sell at the prevailing interbank exchange rate to banks. That way they provide another alternative source of foreign exchange.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Mujitapha(m): 3:22pm On Mar 19, 2013
The four sector economy model, assert existence of consumer,firm,government and net export. Also firm(investment) and Government are autonomous. while consumer and net export sectors have induced components apart from autonomous components. This is typical keynessian economic model. While classical economies believe in famous say's law'supply creates it own demand' and their would be equillibrium always.
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by biolabee(m): 4:05pm On Mar 19, 2013
am in but i think there shd be one q at a time. we discuss and move to the next; also when you said finance i was looking at capital investment appraisal this seems to be more of macroeconomic stuff
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by komek(m): 4:53pm On Mar 19, 2013
This thread go make sense, am on my way home. I will definitely contribute and also learn from this thread
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by eddycolo(m): 5:29pm On Mar 19, 2013
I have been lured by the incomplete information. The question according to zico0.... "They say the central bank is the apex financial institution in any country and it is the bank that issues the legal tender money. The CBN dosen't issue money for free, so how does the currency circulate?

First, the central bank don't issue or give money for free, there are costs involved in printing monies, the difference between these costs and the profit so to speak is called Seigniorage. After printing, there are several means of putting this monies in circulation. In no particular order, first, we have lending to commercial banks for little or no interest depending on the monetary policy at the time. In other words, central banks lends money to other banks whom in turn lend this money to individuals or firms(circulating). Secondly, we have OMO(open market Operation) where central bank sell or buys bonds to either get money into the system or take money out of the system or circulation. central bank sell bonds to get money out of the system and out of circulation and buys them back when it wants to put it back in circulation. Thirdly, it lends to government, the government get this monies and spends it thereby circulating.....,

Hope this helps.

Seigniorage

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by biolabee(m): 5:33pm On Mar 19, 2013
eddycolo: I have been lured by the incomplete information. The question according to zico0.... "They say the central bank is the apex financial institution in any country and it is the bank that issues the legal tender money. The CBN dosen't issue money for free, so how does the currency circulate?

First, the central bank don't issue or give money for free, there are costs involved in printing monies, the difference between these costs and the profit so to speak is called Seigniorage. After printing, there are several means of putting this monies in circulation. In no particular order, first, we have lending to commercial banks for little or no interest depending on the monetary policy at the time. In other words, central banks lends money to other banks whom in turn lend this money to individuals or firms(circulating). Secondly, we have OMO(open market Operation) where central bank sell or buys bonds to either get money into the system or take money out of the system or circulation. central bank sell bonds to get money out of the system and out of circulation and buys them back when it wants to put it back in circulation. Thirdly, it lends to government, the government get this monies and spends it thereby circulating.....,

Hope this helps.

Seigniorage

Sweet!
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by rodeo0070(m): 6:13pm On Mar 19, 2013
I'm in...
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Nobody: 6:18pm On Mar 19, 2013
Mujitapha: The four sector economy model, assert existence of consumer,firm,government and net export. Also firm(investment) and Government are autonomous. while consumer and net export sectors have induced components apart from autonomous components. This is typical keynessian economic model. While classical economies believe in famous say's law'supply creates it own demand' and their would be equillibrium always.
not everybody is doing or have a second degree here, so u may want to diress a bit

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Rationalman: 7:20pm On Mar 19, 2013
Caracta: Ok. I'm in grin
your master of circular flow of income and how Central Bank creates money will help you a lot
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Meenoti: 9:43pm On Mar 19, 2013
[quote author=toothpaste]

There is no depletion in fact. There is growth and i mean real growth especially in the agric sector-\[/quotel

Can you prove there is growth in the agric sector. Oil is still dominant. Whats important in privatization is transparency.
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Engineer96(m): 9:57pm On Mar 19, 2013
I am in.
Zico,
I will let you be because you said you are a fresher (a beginer) in the field.
Money or currency circulation is mostly done through commercial banks like UBA, ZENITH, GTB, 1stBank etc. I wish to bring this to a layman's understanding. When new notes are issued, just like when #1000 notes came out newly, you get it from commercial banks. This money is in turn used in buying and selling and so the circulation contnues.
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by ngolieze22: 10:45pm On Mar 19, 2013
Interesting! I'm in
#space booked#
I'll Brb
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by bigfat05: 11:01pm On Mar 19, 2013
[size=15pt]VERY LUCRATIVE AS YOU CAN SEE...[/size]
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Nobody: 11:22pm On Mar 19, 2013
Economics hmm one of the most dangerous course to study in the university( especially university of Lagos, I'm an Akokite) if you're not a reader , your dreams will be shattered and Only insane sane men make first class in Economics , hence every first class economics student is a first class insane sane. Student, fear them ooo. Economics students!!!
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by DICKtator: 12:28am On Mar 20, 2013
Open Market Operations(OMO)
grin grin grin grin
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Nobody: 3:37am On Mar 20, 2013
Thanks for this thread.
First and first I have a question:
I'm actually an undergraduate student in business, but I would like to switch to Economic or finance for my master. I would like to know which one is better and offer more job opportunity?

Or should I go for international business/
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by ARareGem(f): 5:39am On Mar 20, 2013
Thank you for openning this thread!

This is my question: Why is there an inverse relationship between the prices of bonds and interest rates?

Also, would anyone be so kind as to suggest some microeconomic research topics that would make use of logit mode of analysis. I'm stuck on getting a topic.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Elektra52(f): 7:06am On Mar 20, 2013
Interesting!!! I'm in. Hope to learn a lot from you guyz.
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Anextin(f): 9:15am On Mar 20, 2013
just saw the topic, being longing for a tread like this. lets also discuss the issues bordering on our financial institutions. be back for a more in depth discussion
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by tianyx(f): 12:03pm On Mar 20, 2013
NicE
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by REDDEVILS1(m): 2:18pm On Mar 20, 2013
I suggest we drop our BBM pins and other contacts. For easier and better Communication. My Pin is 28F24A27

(1) (2) (Reply)

Looking For A Good Ican Tuition Centre In Ibadan / I Am A Submissive Lady – A Pretty UNN Graduate Is In Need Of A Husband / Is "Transport Fare" Correct English?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.