Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,892 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:18 AM

TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) (14567 Views)

Learn modern graphic design- Photoshop And CS3 ( fireworks ) / Adobe Illustrator Cs3 For Beginners(help) / Cs3, Photoshop 7 Corel Draw And Illustrator, Which One Is The Best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by erad(m): 3:47pm On Mar 16, 2013
Now I decided to use a picture of our very own Nigerian-born actress and musician, Tonto Dikeh. Just go to google images and type in the name, the same very image should come along with the results.

This is our initial image... Click on 'file', 'open', look for the directory the picture has been saved and select the picture.

2 Likes

Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by erad(m): 3:48pm On Mar 16, 2013
NOTE: FIRST DUPLICATE THE LAYER. First, we need to get rid of the background. On a very normal day, i'll select the magic wand tool and start playing around with it till i'm succesfully able to pick out the entire background. But giving that the backgound here and the image are distinctly seperate, i'll be using another method.

Now we go to 'image', 'adjustment' and click on 'levels'... a dialogue box appears and we input these settings...

Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by erad(m): 3:56pm On Mar 16, 2013
we select the brush tool and paint black within the red outline so that the entire image will be black and the background white. then we go to 'select' on the menu bar and click on 'color range'. a dialogue box appears, and you select the white background of the image with the eyedropper tool that appears. increase the fuzziness to 200(thats the maximum) and click on ok.

The background would have been selected. Now remember that all the things we've been doing has been on the duplicated layer. so while the selection is stil active, we hide the duplicated layer, select the initial layer, double click on the layer to unlock it and press delete to remove the parts that the marquee selection covers.

After creating a black layer under the initial picture layer that the background was removed, you should be having something similar to what is below.

Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by erad(m): 4:00pm On Mar 16, 2013
I noticed the image is kinda too white so i go again to the levels option and input the settings below.

Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by erad(m): 4:03pm On Mar 16, 2013
We'll notice the whilte egdes around the hair at the sides where the selections were removed. so what we'll do is pick on the brush tool and select a circular basic brush tip, a medium size with hardness about 80% and brush on the selected parts below with the foreground color at black.

Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by erad(m): 4:06pm On Mar 16, 2013
By then, you'll notice that the white edges are gone but some part that were painted black on the right don't blend with the image so this is what we'll do. We'll introduce the burn tool. Select the burn tool and go for a pretty big size... move it randomly but smoothly over the hair until they are smoothly faded with the black background. Do it and play around with it until you are fully satisfied.

Now we proceed to the final steps. Go to 'filter', 'Noise' and click on 'remove noise'... enter the setting below or play around with it until u get something that suites you but below is the settings i used.

Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by erad(m): 4:07pm On Mar 16, 2013
Next we go to the same 'filters', but this time around 'blur' and then click on 'surface blur'. i worked with the settings below.

Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by erad(m): 4:07pm On Mar 16, 2013
Finally, we have a smooth, clear silky image but my image seems to have too much blue. You are frer to leave your image at this stage but i want to go a step further so i go to 'image', 'adjustents' and click on 'curves'. A dialogue box appears and i change the channel to blue and modify the graph like it is below.

Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by erad(m): 4:09pm On Mar 16, 2013
Finally, that gives the image its perfect touch. and we have this as our final result.

1 Like

Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by timbros(m): 4:38pm On Mar 16, 2013
cool tutorials...will try it out as soon as i reach home.

Btw I have CS3 in my system. Hope it works.

More tutorials please...I need to learn photoshop so much...

following
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by erad(m): 5:06pm On Mar 16, 2013
timbros: cool tutorials...will try it out as soon as i reach home.

Btw I have CS3 in my system. Hope it works.

More tutorials please...I need to learn photoshop so much...

following
i made that on CS3... thats wat i use.
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by Chiefupper: 5:58pm On Mar 16, 2013
Wc software did u use? I wants to change d background of my pic too
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by timbros(m): 6:42pm On Mar 16, 2013
erad:
i made that on CS3... thats wat i use.

oppsss I just saw that.

On my system now. Let me see if I can do this.
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by spywareczar(m): 6:51pm On Mar 16, 2013
Yes Boss @Erad, I see Ɣøµ, nice tut
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by erad(m): 6:58pm On Mar 16, 2013
spywareczar: Yes Boss @Erad, I see Ɣøµ, nice tut
thanks sir, making tutorials is stressful o... Chei, i confuse myself tire but thank God i was able to achieve something. Hope subsequent ones are more explicit and straightforward... so help me God!
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by timbros(m): 7:04pm On Mar 16, 2013
erad: we select the brush tool and paint black within the red outline so that the entire image will be black and the background white. then we go to 'select' on the menu bar and click on 'color range'. a dialogue box appears, and you select the white background of the image with the eyedropper tool that appears. increase the fuzziness to 200(thats the maximum) and click on ok.

The background would have been selected. Now remember that all the things we've been doing has been on the duplicated layer. so while the selection is stil active, we hide the duplicated layer, select the initial layer, double click on the layer to unlock it and press delete to remove the parts that the marquee selection covers.

After creating a black layer under the initial picture layer that the background was removed, you should be having something similar to what is below.

Now i'm stuck here. Please break it down. I dont understand here.
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by erad(m): 7:13pm On Mar 16, 2013
timbros:

Now i'm stuck here. Please break it down. I dont understand here.
u remember we duplicated the image 1st before going through the processes of making the image distinct from the background. all the adjustments made were on the duplicated layer (we are doing it on the duplicated layer cos we don't want to affect the original image itself). After selecting the background, we hide the duplicate layer (its only purpose was to make the background distinct from the image and we have achieved that already so its useless) and click on the original image layer cos thats the background we want to remove.

Hope this makes it clearer.
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by spywareczar(m): 7:20pm On Mar 16, 2013
erad:
thanks sir, making tutorials is stressful o... Chei, i confuse myself tire but thank God i was able to achieve something. Hope subsequent ones are more explicit and straightforward... so help me God!
yes o, making tutorials ɪ̣̝̇§ a very borin activity, D̶̲̥̅̊ most annoying part ɪ̣̝̇§ wen D̶̲̥̅̊ newbies start throwin sum kinda questions ãήϑ Ɣøµ'll jst stare at D̶̲̥̅̊ question 4 sum time b4 tinkin of whre 2 start givin answers
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by timbros(m): 7:48pm On Mar 16, 2013
erad:
u remember we duplicated the image 1st before going through the processes of making the image distinct from the background. all the adjustments made were on the duplicated layer (we are doing it on the duplicated layer cos we don't want to affect the original image itself). After selecting the background, we hide the duplicate layer (its only purpose was to make the background distinct from the image and we have achieved that already so its useless) and click on the original image layer cos thats the background we want to remove.

Hope this makes it clearer.

Thanks boss. Let me try again
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by Davluck(m): 10:42pm On Mar 16, 2013
very nice....@Op, God bless U.
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by Nobody: 12:53am On Mar 17, 2013
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by Nobody: 12:55am On Mar 17, 2013
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by ozaro(m): 1:04am On Mar 17, 2013
Awesome stuff
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by Nobody: 1:23am On Mar 17, 2013
ozaro: Awesome stuff
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by Davluck(m): 1:27am On Mar 17, 2013
erad: we select the brush tool and paint black within the red outline so that the entire image will be black and the background white. then we go to 'select' on the menu bar and click on 'color range'. a dialogue box appears, and you select the white background of the image with the eyedropper tool that appears. increase the fuzziness to 200(thats the maximum) and click on ok.

Please boss, i got lost here, didnt get d 'paint black with red outline' part....tnx
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by olaolaking: 5:53am On Mar 17, 2013
It is so painful that I have CS6 but I don't know how to use it. But with this tutorial, I will do something. Waiting for Nepa to bring light.
Thanks friend Erad
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by Koolking(m): 1:11pm On Mar 18, 2013
chuks315: We all entered the thread looking to get guidelines on designing good graphics. And we did get what we wanted. But do more than just photo editing, start creating awesome designs and video effects get training videos on the subject. Adobe After Effects & Adobe Photoshop CS3, CS4 & CS5, CorelDraw, AutoCAD 2013 are available.
Plugins and Templates for Adobe After Effects are available as well.
Chukwukauzaka@yahoo.com

PS: @poster you really did a nice job with the photo.

Please send me more info. I have sent you email
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by josymba: 11:51pm On Mar 21, 2013
Hi I appreciate the time n effort put into packaging this tutorial and making it available via this mass medium. Please I lost touch from where we are to create a black layer. My CS3 isn't displaying colour when I create new layer. As a result using d brush too after didn't work 4 me. HELP!!!
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by erad(m): 7:49am On Mar 22, 2013
@Josymba... Yes, a new layer is blank. You fill it with black manually.
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by josymba: 12:11am On Mar 23, 2013
;DThanks a lot. I have it done now
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by erniewhez(m): 10:58am On Apr 10, 2013
HELP PLEASE, I NEED TO SEND SOME IMAGES VIA EMAIL, ITS 14 IMAGES TOTALING 159MB. ITS TAKING SO LONG TO UPLOAD AND I DONT WANT TO REDUCE THE DIMENTION SIZE OR RESOLUTION BECAUSE I NEED TO PRINT IT WITH I DIRECT PRINT MACHINE. PLEASE HOW CAN I SEND THIS IMAGES WITH EASE. GOD BLESS YOU AS YOU ADVICE
Re: TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3) by turl(m): 11:53pm On Apr 13, 2013
josymba: Hi I appreciate the time n effort put into packaging this tutorial and making it available via this mass medium. Please I lost touch from where we are to create a black layer. My CS3 isn't displaying colour when I create new layer. As a result using d brush too after didn't work 4 me. HELP!!!

your colour setting is probably set to greyscale.
go to image > mode > and switch from greyscale to rgb (if for web) or CMYK (for print).

let me know if that helped.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairalander Re-creates Nairaland's Logo / Make Great Videos For Your Products And Services / Epic: Top 10 Nigerian Hyperrealistic Pencil Artists.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.