Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,878 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:27 AM

Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience (17740 Views)

My Phobia For People With Mental Illness: Reply To Adebola Rayo / How Are You Coping With The Current Heat Wave? / Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 1:27am On Mar 17, 2013
MOBBDEEP: This is interesting
For those who couldn't read the theme of the writer, it was because of the style of the writing. It was devoid of a central theme but kept hopping & fleetingly addressed several issues such as:
* The wide held negative perspective of the society concerning people having mental challenges no matter how little it is
* The wrong view of not recognizing that mental disorders are more than psychotic illnesses & the need to summon courage & access care once you accept the fact that something in you is amiss
* Her partial-detailed struggles with BPD

@PDude, I have always share similar opinion with you & I do have a great respect for you
Same goes for the politically-inclined Nagoma
But I differ tonight
I could understand Nagoma saying he doesn't believe in psychiatry knowing where he is coming from
But you PDude!, you are a doctor for Pete' s sake
That's why I overlook the layman's poor awareness & knowledge of mental disorder.
If a large proportion of medical experts still share same believe with PDude or at worse take it to the next by thinking they are non-curable, non-medical but are of spiritual aetiology, where are you going to start the campaign and enlightenment ?

Seriously SMH
I don't even know what to say

Hara-kiri (& other similar deviant practices ) are contextual abnormal behaviors which are well accepted in a culture & norms of a society is not a mental abnormality, & it is long way different from suicide or deliberate self harm DSH done in a context of unstable mental state/poor judgment & which is culturally not acceptable

The definition of what you have up there is grief & is not same thing as depression. Please, take note that they are different

Panic-attacks is a well defined mental disorder which is treatable and responds to drugs with full remission
If what you have is not enough to cause you a distress or your functioning a setback, then you can't say you have it.

Do you know a lot of people who are obese but takes pride in their look?
Fine, maybe you don't meet the diagnostic criteria for Body Dysmorphic Disorder but you do know that you had issues then and you were not well adjusted. That you couldn't access health then because you didn't have the info does not mean now that you can discredit that such disease entity exist & is treatable

Please, let us exercise caution when we have little info about a contentious matter.

damn! slow down. we not all smart like you bro
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 1:36am On Mar 17, 2013
For those who couldn't read the theme of the writer, it was because of the style of the writing. It was devoid of a central theme but kept hopping & fleetingly addressed several issues such as:
* The wide held negative perspective of the society concerning people having mental challenges no matter how little it is
* The wrong view of not recognizing that mental disorders are more than psychotic illnesses & the need to summon courage & access care once you accept the fact that something in you is amiss

@PDude, I have always share similar opinion with you & I do have a great respect for you
But I differ tonight
I could understand Nagoma saying he doesn't believe in psychiatry knowing where he is coming from
That's why I overlook the layman's poor awareness & knowledge of mental disorder.
If a large proportion of medical experts still share same believe with PDude or at worse take it to the next by thinking they are non-curable, non-medical but are of spiritual aetiology, where are you going to start the campaign and enlightenment ?

Seriously SMH

Hara-kiri (& other similar deviant practices ) are contextual abnormal behaviors which are well accepted in a culture & norms of a society is not a mental abnormality, & it is long way different from suicide or deliberate self harm DSH done in a context of unstable mental state/poor judgment & which is culturally not acceptable

The definition of what you have up there is grief & is not same thing as depression. Please, take note that they are different

Panic-attacks is a well defined mental disorder which is treatable and responds to drugs with full remission
If what you have is not enough to cause you a distress or your functioning a setback, then you can't say you have it.

Fine, maybe you don't meet the diagnostic criteria for Body Dysmorphic Disorder but you do know that you had issues then and you were not well adjusted. That you couldn't access health then because you didn't have the info does not mean now that you can discredit that such disease entity exist & is treatable

Please, let us exercise caution when we have little info about a contentious matter.

Now these are the kind of educated and challenging responses I would naturally expect and argue with; and not the sentimental unintelligents rants of some ladies here.

Thanks for you contribution bruv.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 1:48am On Mar 17, 2013

But I differ tonight

Seriously SMH

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 2:05am On Mar 17, 2013
I need clarification on this tittle ; Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience

Is OP referring to the writer's beauty or her composition skills?

So which is it Seun?
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by SisiKill1: 2:15am On Mar 17, 2013
Good thing she's beautiful, eh?

Now for the ugly people out there suffering from mental illness. ..what's the way forward for these poor sods?
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by tpia5: 2:19am On Mar 17, 2013
very scary to think people are assuming the writer does not, in fact, have mental illness.

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by tpia5: 2:20am On Mar 17, 2013
mediainspired: Seriously, I fail to make real sense of this article. The writer has spoken so much, but SAID LITTLE. She is sure a writer with flair, but she is in need of one more skill: saying more with less words. Back to the subject matter, the writer does not convince me she has a mental problem.

smh.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by AreaFada2: 2:33am On Mar 17, 2013
I was talking to a friend who is now sadly late years back that a paper I read claims that almost 50% of people in Naija have one mental case or another.

To my surprise he said, it is not that 50% has a mental issue, the question if there's anyone at all who doesn't.

He went on to say that all those crazily looting money, frustration of the average person by the system, fear and insecurity of the average to the rich, poverty, unemployment, good people being frustrated from leading in the society, all these and more are no recipe for a mentally healthy society.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 3:02am On Mar 17, 2013
so many insensitive ppl sheesh!

how is that boring? it's not a story it's a testimony!
smh.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 3:36am On Mar 17, 2013
Ok so she has mental problem. So wetin make we do naw sad

I don't even know why we are arguing sef. If she says she has mental problems, that is her own bowl of garri. Afterall, who else knows you so well than yourself.

Abeg writer, indeed you get mental problem o. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 3:38am On Mar 17, 2013
pDude: Ok so she has mental problem. So wetin make we do naw sad

I don't even know why we are arguing sef. If she says she has mental problems, that is her own bowl of garri. Afterall, who else knows you so well than yourself.

Abeg writer, indeed you get mental problem o. cheesy
small pr1ck seun is dating her so we all need to hear her mad rants.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 5:02am On Mar 17, 2013
Where dey @?
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by braveheart2012(m): 6:05am On Mar 17, 2013
Lots of mentally ill people go untreated in Nigeria (or in some serious cases, are kept under lock and key). I know many people with mentally ill family members and they try to hide it.

[TMI] Sorry folks. I don't want Seun blackmailing me when I become President. grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by runi: 6:12am On Mar 17, 2013
Kudos to you Rayo! You are one strong woman to have lived with this for several years and for coming out of the closet to use your personal experience to educate people about mental illness despite the stigma. Most people do not understand metal illness and they blame it on just inability to cope with life or stressors, but it goes beyond that. I do hope you continue to take medications and utilize the coping strategies given by your therapist. Cognitive behaviour therapy along with medications helps. From the brief information given, you do sound like a woman with clearly mood disorder, perhaps developed BPD secondary to the mood disorder. I encourage you to clarify your diagnosis, as your symptoms suggest you have more issues going on than just BPD. I encourage you to because , I continue to see that a lot of people do not get the right diagnosis. In psychiatry obtaining your psychosocial history is very relevant to understanding your illness, what the best diagnosis and course of treatment should be.
As a mental health clinician/psychotherapist I understand what you have been through. We need to raise the awareness in Nigeria so people can come out to seek help. Unfortunately, individuals with mental illness are either considered witches or their illness blamed on a cause placed on them by their fore fathers. Mental illness needs to be talked about just as we are raising awareness about HIV/AIDS.

2 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by musiwa20: 6:19am On Mar 17, 2013
so bad, how can..
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Odunnu: 6:57am On Mar 17, 2013
*Edited*
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Carinaflo(f): 7:02am On Mar 17, 2013
Using the writer's signs/symptoms as a "yardstick" for measuring mental illness, i can boldly say that a large number of peeople in Nigeria are mentally ill. I have always thought that depression, mood swings and anxiety are normal behavioural pattern,but now i know better

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by segend(m): 7:44am On Mar 17, 2013
For those saying she isn't mentally ill, there are different types of mental illness-depression, obsessive compulsive disorder, schizophrenia, bipolar, manic disorder, panic attack etc. Not only naked people on the road are mentally ill. Lots of seemingly normal people we work with have a form of mental illness
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 7:58am On Mar 17, 2013
I tried to read and and really read this article, but the only thing that keeeps making sense is that the op's melodramatic personlity, which is quite sensitive and on the extreme makes her encounter mood swings and terrible blues,

But what i don't understand is the needless haranguing about Nigerians not understanding mental illnesses

Maybe the people you encountered do not know much about mental illnesses,

Please next time do not make a nasty and overly insensitive generalization about the Nigeria People.

Bazinga!
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by madan(f): 8:18am On Mar 17, 2013
Clemzy16: I'm allergic to reading long articles. Can someone please summarise?!
You are just a typical Nigerian.. You don't like reading, Lazy bone
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 8:22am On Mar 17, 2013
Many people might think the writer just has a melodramatic personality but i guess that's what she meant when she said "Beyond changing the society’s perception of mental illness, patients and their loved ones also need to be educated about what is wrong with them so that they have a proper understanding of their situation."

Having had to deal with someone one who was schizophrenic, I must say, that it is one of most heart wrenching experiences one can pass through. I don't even know who suffers more the person with the illness or the person's loved ones. Unlike the writer, many of them feel there is nothing wrong with them and those who know there is something wrong, are scared to get help because of the stigma.

If anyone reading this does have a loved one who is suffering from mental illness I think the best advice I can give is that you try to lay your hands on any material to do with the illness(Google is priceless).The more informed you are about it, the better equipped you are to efficiently care for the person. It can happen to anyone and we can only pray we never have to experience it firsthand.

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by oaroloye(m): 10:05am On Mar 17, 2013
Our forefathers had a great treatment for "Mental Illness:" it involved becoming proficient in the use of the CUTLASS and the HOE. Need I elaborate?
When you no longer have HONEST LABOUR, you can AFFORD to "go mad." When you are doing nothing of value in your community, you can afford to kill yourself.
An Atheistic Medical Student told me that he had just started working in the Psychiatric Ward.
I asked him if there were any Christians in there. He was scornful:
"That's ALL we've got in there!"
When people follow Failed Christians, who buy themselves the cheapest favour by pretending to absolve their victims of all RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS, and their DUTY (Luke 16:1-15), the Salvation-by-Faith-and-not-Works TRICK introduced by Paul, The Pharisee (Matt. 16:6-12; 23:1-15; Acts 23:6; Rom. 4:1-8; Galatians 5:4).
All the wicked crazy things that celebrities and politicians do in America- the shootings where people gun down their co-workers or innocent bystanders and kids- do you know that IT IS ALL, ALWAYS DONE THROUGH DRUGS? Someone comes and tells you that he cannot tell the difference between a woman's vagina, and a man's anus- don't you know he has been Psychoanalized (sic) and drugged with prescription drugs, where they think that they have a RIGHT to THINK ANYTHING THEY WANT- when any Right-Thinking person knows that THERE HAVE TO BE LIMITS.
The mind is a TABLE- and there is only so much room for items on this table. (Don Juan Matus called it The TONAL.) Sanity entails having only SANE items on the table.
When you got stuff like: "I'll just blubber like a pre-teen, until I feel "better," everytime I feel bad!" on the Table, and "If I feel bad, I'll just kill myself to stop feeling bad!" on the Table, you are NOT going to "go mad one day." THAT HAS ALREADY HAPPENED.
Thirty years ago, this Law student showed me this LOGIC textbook they used (STRAIGHT AND CROOKED THINKING, by A.H. Thouless). I mentioned it to a Law Student- son of the Bookbinder who bound all the books I pirated off the Internet (*OOPS!* Did I type that out loud?) he told me that he had NEVER HEARD OF IT!
I asked him which book had they replaced it with- which was unthinkable, because it is a CLASSIC- he replied: Oh, he didn't DO Logic: Logic was an ELECTIVE (a Voluntary Course, which adds NO POINTS).
THIS is why many Graduates cannot get jobs! Anyone who knows ANYTHING about "Law" knows that PROFICIENCY in Logic is ESSENTIAL. How can you win a court case when the opposing lawyer knows logic, and you don't?
Making Logic an Elective is a way of rendering Law Graduates unemployable. I'M not trained in "Logic," but even I can see this.
There is no way Lawyer Pretty Face (and if I ever find that's not her real photo, I'll find out what she looks like in court!) was trained in Logic! No wonder she's gone nuts!
Western Mental Health is a Racket- there is a Conspiracy to drug up the populaces. When Christians do wrong, The Bible says to MAKE IT RIGHT (Exodus 22:1-6) - not go and pop a drug, and pretend it is not your fault!
A great part of a good Christian's Mental Stability is based on the sense that PEOPLE YOU CARE ABOUT ARE DEPENDING ON YOU- so you CANNOT AFFORD to keep "Crazy" on the Table!
If you only care about yourself, it is very easy to get rid of yourself.
Of course, when you take a overdose, you don't care what those who have to clean up the mess will feel. That is what happens when you DON'T "Love thy Neighbour as Thyself."
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by 1k001(m): 11:31am On Mar 17, 2013
One needs to make a distinction between a personality disorder and a mental illness. The latter is amenable to drug treatment while the former is not, among several other differences.
The diagnosis in mental disorders can be difficult but is key particularly when personality is involved. Some people are just nasty, overly melodramatic, psychopatic etc and we can't just label them all as illnesses.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by touchmeder: 12:07pm On Mar 17, 2013
We live in a society where there is little or no information on mental illness and how to go about it. There is still a stigma attached to it and i feel the writer is a bold lady for coming out with this. Most of us cant just figure how someone can claim they are depressed and begin to take medication for it like they do in the western world. We dont understand ''baby blues'' when a woman has just put to bed and will begin to question if she is not pretending or maybe needs spiritual help. Look at most comments on this thread. It is a misunderstood illness. Until the person is raving stark naked on the road with crazy dreadlocks they are not mad enough. This is not so, we need more awareness of this illness and ways of treating it in Nigeria. People need an opportunity to be treated and not judged.
Let me share a story, i know of a family person who always acted strange even as a child. He was stubborn for no reason and could not sit still. We taught he was just being a stubborn boy. As he grew it became worse he was a terror at school, and would beat children and not pay attention while the teacher taught. We knew he was intelligent anyway when you spoke with him he would answer correctly but he had a short attention span. As he grew older, it grew worse. He told lies that would make your eyes water, stole religiously, ran out of the house sometimes a day at a time, was eccentric, walked up to strangers on the road and told tall tales to get money or food. Was at the Police station at some point for just being a nuisance on the street and i remember someone saying please leave him there for some days at least we know where he is and he would calm down when he gets out.
We would hear ''i saw him at blablabla road, go and meet him there''. When you saw him he would run away and gradually approach feeling foolish and sorry for what he had done and put people through. Its a strange thing because once you took him home, spoke to him calmly and he ate a meal, he would apologize and carry on as any normal person but the same nonsense reoccurs in a few days. In my opinion that is a mental illness maybe a doctor would say OCD, Autism,bi polar i dont know. I am not a doctor but let me say quickly they have taken him to enough churches non stop. At some point he was prescribed some sort of medication but the effect made him act like a complete super dummy and it was discontinued ASAP. They still cope, its not always easy but slightly better. I wish there was a solid diagnosis more awareness and adequate help.

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by manmustwack: 12:31pm On Mar 17, 2013
Keep on making fun of others with problems and see how far it gets us.
No wonder nigeria is in such a mess.
Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 12:38pm On Mar 17, 2013
pDude: Truth be told, I don't understand this article. It didn't sufficiently give us in-depth information. I felt like I was an observer who was observing and trying to understand what exactly the writer was talking about. cry

This isn't a write-up on mental illness. Sounds more like everyday life in Nigeria and someone who seems to be cracking under the burden of living in the Nigerian society.

I understand your confusion. I have been with such a person and she was suicidal and acting out unbelievable behaviour. Mosttimes she couldnt explain her actions yet she appeared normal to everyone around.

But i usually asked her, ''have you suffered mental illness before'' And she never got offended with that question but couldnt answer it either.

I guess you better study BPD on google and get its characteristics. It isnt normal behaviour at all.

Most keke napep operators suffer this disease too. They are always right even when they are wrong. Hehehe!!!

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Pennywise(m): 12:54pm On Mar 17, 2013
1k001: One needs to make a distinction between a personality disorder and a mental illness. The latter is amenable to drug treatment while the former is not, among several other differences.
The diagnosis in mental disorders can be difficult but is key particularly when personality is involved. Some people are just nasty, overly melodramatic, psychopatic etc and we can't just label them all as illnesses.

Not all mental illnesses require drug treatment. Some need psychotherapy, others enviromental manipulation.

I have found on this thread that folks believe the writer is trivializing mental illness bc all she has is a personality disorder.

But a personality disorder that disrupts the capacity or ability of a sufferer to function or threatens the person's life through suicide shld be regarded as a major mental illness.

People should also learn to draw the line betwn transcient reactive depressive state which occurs in bereavement, financial loss or disappointments in relationships or career from a pervading feeling of doom that wont go away and cannot be associated with any of life's usual setback.

2 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 1:03pm On Mar 17, 2013
Pennywise:

Not all mental illnesses require drug treatment. Some need psychotherapy, others enviromental manipulation.

I have found on this thread that folks believe the writer is trivializing mental illness bc all she has is a personality disorder.

But a personality disorder that disrupts the capacity or ability of a sufferer to function or threatens the person's life through suicide shld be regarded as a major mental illness.

People should also learn to draw the line betwn trabsient reactive depressive state which occurs in bereavement, financial loss or disappointments in relationships from a pervading feeling of doom that wont go away and cannot be associated with any of life's usual setback.

Bless you. Type of personality is different from personality disorder which can be very severe mental illnesses.

Thank you for bringing up the transient reactive depressive state too being different from a long standing problem. Quite shameful that a medical professional cannot make this obvious distinction.

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by sigmundfreud(m): 1:06pm On Mar 17, 2013
pDude: She talked about the following symptoms/signs

Suicide: Please give me a break. Contemplating suicide isn't an abnormal behavior. In some cultures, suicide is a way of life. In Japan, if certain assassins fail in their duties, the perform a Hara-Kiri (suicide) to save themselves, families and clan from the shame of failing in their sworn duties. When I was swindled of a large amount of money some years back, I contemplated suicide many times. This doesn't make me mentally ill.

Panic attacks: I used to have an inferior complex in my younger days because I was obese. I avoided people and kept to myself. Anytime I went outdoors I always started breathing fast, sweating and feeling nervous because I felt people wouldn't accept me. All these are symptoms of panic attacks. Did it mean I was mental? No. All I did was lose weight and all that nonsense stopped.

Depression: This is a part of everyday life. Everybody feels depressed at one time or the other. Is depression mental illness? No.

Avoiding people: Introverts naturally avoid people. Everyone at one time or the other, want to be alone. This is a normal human behavior.

Mood swings: Everyone has mood swings all the time.

My conclusion: The writer has not given us sufficient information to clinically diagnose her condition as "mental illness". All I would prescribe for her is a good vacation and becoming more social.
Write up: Excellent.
Knowledge: Poor.
Summary: Beautiful Nonsense!
Nice signature...you should apply it more often.

1 Like

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 1:36pm On Mar 17, 2013
pDude:

Bless you bruv. Exactly what I could decipher from the entire article. Everything written above doesn't relate with mental illness but more with personal issues.
you need to read more about personality disorder. Mental illness doesn't translate to moving naked on the road or speaking incoherently.

3 Likes

Re: Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience by Nobody: 1:40pm On Mar 17, 2013
sigmundfreud:
Write up: Excellent.
Knowledge: Poor.
Summary: Beautiful Nonsense!
Nice signature...you should apply it more often.
correct man. pdude,you really need to read before engaging in this debate.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Men Have You Ever Been In The Labour Room? / 88 COVID-19 Vaccination Centers In Lagos (full List) / Meningitis Is NOT Caused By Heat - Dr Olufunmilayo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.