Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,584 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

United States Of America Vs United Kingdom - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom (41526 Views)

Poll: Which country would you rather live in, given the choice?

The United States?: 62% (110 votes)
The United Kingdom?: 37% (66 votes)
This poll has ended

Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom / United Kingdom To Deport Nigerians On 24th March 2015 With A Chartered Flight / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom!!! Your Thoughts? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Go Down)

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by londoner: 5:03pm On Apr 02, 2008
Some people have electricity cards, especially if they live in shared flats, it means the bill is not passed to the landlord, and is paid equally by tenants.

In both UK and US if you don't pay towards your bill, they cut the electricity, so why the biggie about how it is paid for, I don't get it 

Most people get billed for leckie.

I definitely think they should try and walk more in major US cities even if they have a car. Walking is healthy. I think many Yanks eat WAAAAY too much, and too much unhealthy food. Some people in the Uk do to to be honest , but there is more of a stigma to it and people try and change it, ie Jamie Oliver etc.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by anusule(m): 5:05pm On Apr 02, 2008
IMHO, you can't compare both to nigeria, grin

back to question, I think I would love YanKee, but UK is still tight, for now, UK is better, its becoming the next America, America is in deep shit, grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Dreloaded(f): 5:06pm On Apr 02, 2008
EloSela:

I didn’t read all. I lost all interest after the bolded part because it was glaringly obvious from that that you had absolutely no idea what you’re talking about

And here I thought it was Americans who were humorless  embarassed

Lighten Up. I know the weather is shitty 24/7 over there but gosh, no reason to be so serious all the time.

Now go and enjoy some "tea-ka"  wink
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by EloSela(f): 5:09pm On Apr 02, 2008
nwando:

You people have  moved from coins to "recharge" cards for heating.
what's the difference
Card finishes it's allotted heating minutes,you freeze to death in Aberdeen grin

Can you read? What part of the words 'Options' and 'Choose' did you not understand? grin

nwando:

Good consolation when a a buger meals barely hits the spot and you have to trek 5 miles to the nearest tube station.
Let me make that determination when I purchase my "happy meal" what quantity I eat.
Is the UK Somalia? grin

grin grin grin But really, who cares how many burgers you can buy with your nickels and dimes? There are more important things to be concerned about M'dear, never mind, to eat!  cool cool

nwando:

OSANOBUA!!!!!!!!!!
Tell that to Queen Eliza 's mounted soldiers.
If you're sincere,you'll say how many times you toyed with the idea to fleeing to America. cool

I hate to break it to you, but, uh, NO! LOL! grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 5:09pm On Apr 02, 2008
londoner:

Some people have electricity cards, especially if they live in shared flats, it means the bill is not passed to the landlord, and is paid equally by tenants.

In both UK and US if you don't pay towards your bill, they cut the electricity, so why the biggie about how it is paid for, I don't get it

In America,the bills come in the renters name not in the landlords.
Before the heating is cut off,you have to be past due by over 3 to 4 weeks and received a few warnings so you have a little time to "look for money".
It's very different from being having all your electric just shut down suddenly in the middle of Chicago winter because you ran out of "recharge card"

1 Like

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by londoner: 5:12pm On Apr 02, 2008
People who have paper bills in the UK have warnings too, its no different. On the charge card meter, there is a reserve before it runs out, , you recharge at any local corner store anytime. The charge meter has to be specifically installed, its not a standard fixture, most people are billed quarterly in the mail, or pay be direct debit.

If someone is in a shared house,students for instance , in whose name does the bill come?
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by EloSela(f): 5:13pm On Apr 02, 2008
D-reloaded:

Lighten Up. I know the weather is shitty 24/7 over there but gosh, no reason to be so serious all the time.

My sense of humour is still intact M'dear.   grin

How about yours?  cheesy
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 5:14pm On Apr 02, 2008
EloSela:

Can you read? What part of the words 'Options' and 'Choose' did you not understand? grin

Options indeed
when una dey pile up 20 in one house,which kind options.

EloSela:

grin grin grin But really, who cares how many burgers you can buy with your nickels and dimes? There are more important things to be concerned about M'dear, never mind, to eat!  cool cool

I know,more important things like struggling for cleaning jobs with ethnic Albanians and hiding under the bed when a police sirene sounds grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by londoner: 5:16pm On Apr 02, 2008
Nwando, sorry, but if your folks in the UK are strugglling, don't try and pin that on the country. Tell them to aim higher.

Or are you telling us thats what you did while in the UK?, come on tell the truth, lol

grin grin grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Dreloaded(f): 5:18pm On Apr 02, 2008
londoner:

I definitely think they should try and walk more in major US cities even if they have a car. Walking is healthy. I think many Yanks eat WAAAAY too much, and too much unhealthy food. Some people in the Uk do to to be honest , but there is more of a stigma to it and people try and change it, ie Jamie Oliver etc.

I agree with you. walking is good for the body and most people who live in cities do. Alot of them ride bikes to work as well. Using cars all over is really more of a suburban thing or people just trying to show off cars.

But i still dont see how obesity is any better than smoking addiction and alcoholism, two things Europeans are known for. They're both horrible. Like I said you cant be obese if you're smoking 24/7. Gluttony, Alcoholism, yada yada, ALL Unhealthy dont you think?
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Dreloaded(f): 5:18pm On Apr 02, 2008
EloSela, mine has always been fine

You're the one that took offence to the vodka comment/joke. Did I hit too close to home or something?  tongue
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 5:20pm On Apr 02, 2008
D-reloaded:

Life there is hard,believe me.
Nigerian physicians there migrate here in droves talk less of the average folks
If you see the way they ooh and aah when they see the houses and lifestyle,their colleagues here live in.
What else would make a man who has suffered to pass the dread PLAB exams,gone through years of residency training with the accompanied humiliations forget all that and come to America to start all over with Exams and residency?
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 5:20pm On Apr 02, 2008
You guys are too serious about this topic. America all the way sha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tongue
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 5:23pm On Apr 02, 2008
londoner:

Nwando, sorry, but if your folks in the UK are strugglling, don't try and pin that on the country. Tell them to aim higher.

Or are you telling us thats what you did while in the UK?, come on tell the truth, lol

grin grin grin

Most Nigerians in the UK moving here and doing the same exact jobs here in the USA would live a better standard of life and have more money in the bank.
That is a fact!

BTW,I cleaned my share of toilets,I no go lie lipsrsealed
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 5:24pm On Apr 02, 2008
stillwater:

You guys are too serious about this topic. America all the way sha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tongue

LOL
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Dreloaded(f): 5:25pm On Apr 02, 2008
serious ke? as you can see, AJ, osisi and I have been making jokes and laughing

it's the drab weather island dwelling people who are taking it all so serious. Guess they ran out of Rum for their Earl Grey.  grin

osisi, it has been told to me. I must say I envy their vacation time and such but career wise, well  in regards to mine anyway I'm told that place is not for me and "colored" people really start from the bottom.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by sistajay(f): 5:26pm On Apr 02, 2008
There is no comparison between the two countries.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by EloSela(f): 5:27pm On Apr 02, 2008
D-reloaded:

EloSela, mine has always been fine

You're the one that took offence to the vodka comment/joke. Did I hit too close to home or something?  tongue

LOL! Get over yourself! It takes a lot more than mindless drivel to upset me, M'dear!  grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Dreloaded(f): 5:30pm On Apr 02, 2008
I see someone is still angryyyyyyyyy cheesy

No worries, all shall be well jare wink
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 5:31pm On Apr 02, 2008
D-reloaded:

serious ke? as you can se, AJ, osisi and I have been making jokes and laughing

it's the drab weather island dwelling people who are taking it all so serious. Guess they ran out of Rum for their Earl Grey.  grin

osisi, it has been told to me. I must say I envy their vacation time and such but career wise, well  in regards to mine anyway I'm told that place is not for me and "colored" people really start from the bottom.

That's the only thing I give to them but to what advantage generally ?
True, a woman can have a baby and stay home for 6 months and gets paid
Guess who pays for all that laziness?
That money has to come from somewhere to support all that welfare mess.
I have a lot of classmates in England and hardly any of them work a regular full or part time job.
They're forever picking up locums here and there,gallivanting from place to place.
Common residency programmes are done at 6 months intervals from place to place like nomads evry 6 months.
The place is a nightmare.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 5:32pm On Apr 02, 2008
Yankee or UK, na the 2 good. So far me still dey make ma cool cash.

I like Uk for the stupid oyinbo breaking accent and I like USA for the rude swagga.  cool Money na the KOKO!
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by EloSela(f): 5:33pm On Apr 02, 2008
nwando:

Options indeed
when una dey pile up 20 in one house,which kind options.

I know,more important things like struggling for cleaning jobs with ethnic Albanians and hiding under the bed when a police sirene sounds grin

Nandoes abi Nwandos which one you dey? grin

Was cleaning job the only work you could find when you lived in the UK? Eeeya, sorry eh, no vex! grin

Did you have to share your living facilities with 20 others? Let it all out into the open now, there, there, Good Boy! cheesy

By the way it is 'Siren' not 'Sirene'  grin grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by bluesky4(f): 5:33pm On Apr 02, 2008
all this talk about UK and US, their both bad. . . .i chose Austrailia tongue

however, some ppl havent been to the Uk since 1979, chei, coins uno lmbao
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by mamaorga(f): 5:35pm On Apr 02, 2008
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah ha ah ha ha undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Nairalanders this is an interesting topic oooooooo
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by EloSela(f): 5:35pm On Apr 02, 2008
D-reloaded:

I see someone is still angryyyyyyyyy cheesy

No worries, all shall be well jare wink

Nobody is angry on my end M'dear.

Wetin do you sef? You neva chop?

I get Beans for hia, come an' eat! grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 02, 2008
sista-jay:

There is no comparison between the two countries.

none whatsoever.
I don't know anyone that'll get a UK visa and American and choose to settle in the UK.
With the EC thing,the Nigerian physicians there are now like 3rd class rated.
I have a friend who passed PLAB over 3 years ago and still doing locums up till now
He's even luckier than most because his wife is oyibo briton.
Most can't even get that.
Medical doctors washing dishes at "mama Calabar"
That's a shame.

1 Like

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by mamaorga(f): 5:36pm On Apr 02, 2008
EloSela:

Nobody is angry on my end M'dear.

Wetin do you sef? You never chop?

I get Beans for hia, come an' eat! grin

Na me u invite?

i dey hungry ooooooo

make i con chop

please naaaa
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Dreloaded(f): 5:37pm On Apr 02, 2008
Sorry, I'm above your "beans and franks" business

I like my eggs and cereal in their normal form e jo. Not mashed up with legumes. wink

Rofl osisi
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 5:39pm On Apr 02, 2008
EloSela:

Nandoes abi Nwandos which one you dey? grin

Was cleaning job the only work you could find when you lived in the UK? Eeeya, sorry eh, no vex! grin

Did you have to share your living facilities with 20 others? Let it all out into the open now, there, there, Good Boy! cheesy

By the way it is 'Siren' not 'Sirene'  grin grin

Oh na my Engligbo you wan attack now.
siren ko,sardine ni grin
The one wey dey go pipo pipo
e he
that one
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by bluesky4(f): 5:40pm On Apr 02, 2008
D-reloaded:

Sorry, I'm above beans.

I like my eggs and cereal in their normal form e jo. Not mashed up with legumes.

lipsrsealed
who told u this nonsense. . . . and ppl wonder when they say americans no nothing about anything outside america. tongue
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by 4Him(m): 5:40pm On Apr 02, 2008
Is Heinz baked beans English or American?
Its the best thing to go with egg and toast . . . the English at least know how to eat breakfast.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by mamaorga(f): 5:41pm On Apr 02, 2008
blue-sky:

lipsrsealed
who told u this nonsense. . . . and people wonder when they say americans no nothing about anything outside america. tongue

lets put it this way

u sure say beans no dey above u?  tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25)

My Road Trip To Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria (Pictures) / Woman Returns N12 Million Naira She Found At MM Aiport Toilet / United Nigeria Airline Arrives Enugu With Dikeora On Board

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.