Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:34 PM

Nigerian Boarding School Experiences - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Boarding School Experiences (27241 Views)

Share The Crazy Funny Things That Happened While In Boarding School / 10 Types Of Boarding School Students / Photo Of The Day - Boarding School Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by ijebabe: 1:49pm On Mar 17, 2013
I watched this video on growing up in boarding school in Nigeria and their experiences were horrifying and funny. What many of the people in the video agreed to was the disgusting state of the bathrooms and having their provisions stolen by 'greater powers' grin

What was more captivating was one guys list of punishments he went through meant to test physque and sanity, hehehe. They included;

Flying (I don't even want to know what this is)
Hanging
Cleaning the bathroom
Flogging with belts, koboko, wire etc
Frog jumping round a field

A guy even dug his own height shocked

I haven't experienced boarding school but when I was younger the stories I heard from my parents and older relatives made me wish to be in one. The movies I watched showed boarding school to be a happy place far from home, being independent and all that but I'm seeing a very different picture now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM4CTZ9yFkQ

Please someone tell me the state of Nigerian boarding schools are better these days!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by Tolexander: 2:03pm On Mar 17, 2013
As a guy that spent a just 3 terms in the boarding school, think i have little experience to share:

My sole aim joining the boarding was just because if you weren't a boarder, you didn't belong to the clique of biggies in school. And no gurl would agree dating any day student unless one gat real swaggs to beat the boarders.

those days in school, we were not allowed to cook but we would sneak a boiling ring into the hostel from home, climb into the ceiling and peel the electric wire, connect the boiling ring to the peeled wire to boil water in the ceiling.
Any of the neighbouring hen or fowl that enters into the school compound would be killed, prepared and steamed with our boiling ring in the bournvita can.

The bathrooms are just unabathable to be mild so also the toilets. Early in the morning, we would go out to the back of the hostel to bath outside.
Those gurls also bathed outside early in the morning. My friends and I would go peeping at them when bathing and we would start analysing them in class and hostel.

What cut my hostel duration short was when my 2 friends and their girlfriends, my girlfriend and i sneaked out of school to a club in the evening. We didn't know our principal also clubs there. The principal saw us without us being aware he was there and the following day, called us out on the assembly, told us to prostrate and spanked us with many strokes of pankere(one hausa stick). We were then suspended from the hostel and never to return.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by Mynd44: 2:11pm On Mar 17, 2013
You should see NYSC camps.....wait even university hostels are more or less poultry
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by ayobase(m): 2:14pm On Mar 17, 2013
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by ijebabe: 12:17pm On Mar 18, 2013
Tolexander:
The bathrooms are just unabathable to be mild so also the toilets. Early in the morning, we would go out to the back of the hostel to bath outside.
Those gurls also bath outside early in the morning. My friends and I would go peeping at them when bathing and we would start analysing them in class and hostel.
Perv angry angry

What cut my hostel duration short was when my 2 friends and their girlfriends, my girlfriend and i sneaked out of school to a club in the evening. We didn't know our principal also clubs there. The principal saw us without us being aware he was there and the following day, called us out on the assembly, told us to prostrate and spanked us with many strokes of pankere(one hausa stick). We were then suspended from the hostel and never to return.
Hahaha! Now I'm not angry anymore tongue
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by Nobody: 12:54pm On Mar 18, 2013
Believe me, u dont wanna hear about my Very Experience there embarassed
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by ijebabe: 1:05pm On Mar 18, 2013
I want to, so just say already!
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by Nobody: 1:22pm On Mar 18, 2013
ijebabe: I want to, so just say already!

IJ where do u even want me to start eh..where? embarassed

Sporadic Punishments; Even when u're still in bed! And such where despicable punishments-Waking u up with Dish water, thud of plank/cane or sometimes Pillow Slaps grin embarassed

Provision Thefts; This One na normal thing buh it really got me Irked outta human when my Emptied Milk and Chocolates Can were filled up with Sands -- I fainted 2 times embarassed

Poor Meals: The timing were Just 'hell timing', I had my breakfast by 11am almost tru out my stay there, am sure anybody that lived in the Hostel would find it easier adapting to Life in Hell Lol - Away from the timing, u need to have a Peep at what am made to eat, this morning could be 2 Balls of Akara and Watery Pap, the next morning its Half-cooked Beans. embarassed

....The List Plenty eh, buh i really had to Enjoy the School a lil bit when i graduated into the SS Class - Come see Payback!
grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by ayobase(m): 1:35pm On Mar 18, 2013
It reminds of a time when we had to touch faeces in the middle of the night, and went back to sleep without washing off....the last guy packed the left-over of the faeces!

Many stories!

What about fetching of water with teaspoon to fill a bucket metres away!

Had to fan a senior blokous till day break!

P being kited on the first day of arrival!
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by Tolexander: 1:36pm On Mar 18, 2013
ijebabe:
Perv angry angry

Hahaha! Now I'm not angry anymore tongue
you were angry?
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by ijebabe: 2:50pm On Mar 18, 2013
Tolexander: you were angry?
I thought the tongue-out smiley meant it was to be taken as a joke. Chill.
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by ijebabe: 2:52pm On Mar 18, 2013
ayobase: It reminds of a time when we had to touch faeces in the middle of the night, and went back to sleep without washing off....the last guy packed the left-over of the faeces!

Many stories!

What about fetching of water with teaspoon to fill a bucket metres away!

Had to fan a senior blokous till day break!

P being kited on the first day of arrival!
Why were you made to do these punishments?
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by ijebabe: 2:56pm On Mar 18, 2013
El Guapo:

Sporadic Punishments; Even when u're still in bed! And such where despicable punishments-Waking u up with Dish water, thud of plank/cane or sometimes Pillow Slaps grin embarassed

Provision Thefts; This One na normal thing buh it really got me Irked outta human when my Emptied Milk and Chocolates Can were filled up with Sands -- I fainted 2 times embarassed

Poor Meals: The timing were Just 'hell timing', I had my breakfast by 11am almost tru out my stay there, am sure anybody that lived in the Hostel would find it easier adapting to Life in Hell Lol - Away from the timing, u need to have a Peep at what am made to eat, this morning could be 2 Balls of Akara and Watery Pap, the next morning its Half-cooked Beans. embarassed

....The List Plenty eh, buh i really had to Enjoy the School a lil bit when i graduated into the SS Class - Come see Payback!
grin
Lol at fainted twice!

So you continued the cycle. There's no hope then.

It all sounds sad and scary at a young age. Im sure there are some boarding schools that are clean and humane!
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by Nobody: 3:40pm On Mar 18, 2013
ijebabe:
Lol at fainted twice!

So you continued the cycle. There's no hope then.

It all sounds sad and scary at a young age. Im sure there are some boarding schools that are clean and humane!

Yeah there are but damn rare-must be Senators and Governors Wards Schools.

The fact is, my school was one of the best in Our city, if not the whole State. We had first class equipments and intellectual tutors, everything was on ground to make ur stay there an Utopia experience. But then, this is Nigeria where corruption traverse in all facet of the Sectors.

The School could be handed a fund of 1million Naira to cater for the Boarding students, the bad eggs would in turn, rebudget the fund to N300,000 - Put away the Golden morn we were promised for Watery Paps grin

There was a Period we hitted low meal intake, we had only 2 meals in a day then. I and my peers would Joke around with the dire condition, giving it an acronym 'SAP' which meant Stomach adjustment Programme! grin

Inasmuch as it was an egregious development, we stil deemed it to be the fun of the Hostle Life-stressing that hostels ran in a decorum manner would merely be Boring and Uninteresting. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by Tolexander: 3:58pm On Mar 18, 2013
ijebabe:
I thought the tongue-out smiley meant it was to be taken as a joke. Chill.
i already knew you were joking anyway.
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 18, 2013
*sighs*.............
Ayobase story is the worst. Dude, if I were in your situation, I would breakdown...Sure! Cos I couldn't withstand such things when I was younger. Eya, you must be a tough guy now.
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by ijebabe: 8:39pm On Mar 18, 2013
Tolexander: i already knew you were joking anyway.
Ok o
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by Okijajuju1(m): 3:01pm On Mar 20, 2013
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by wealthpos(f): 3:05pm On Mar 20, 2013
I spent 6 good years In a prestigious boarding school in the 90s....Unity secondary school Usi -Ekiti to be precise...The experience was awesome full of good and bad.But I thank God the experience wasn't in vain because that school made me who I am today.
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by ojesymsym: 3:05pm On Mar 20, 2013
Hmmmm, am not sure u want to hear.

Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by Scarpon(m): 3:07pm On Mar 20, 2013
never been so I dont hav any
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by timpaker(m): 3:07pm On Mar 20, 2013
Sleeping in class because i'm always a most wanted at the hostel, they usually call assembly because of me (for refusing to give out my meat at the dinning or been seen with a senior's girlfriend cry cry
Ismaila and Kpangolo are always bugling my locker stealing and selling my provision to some hungry senior (hope u guys are not criminals now?)shocked shocked
Having to stand and watch some scum.bag insult me (your father!) in hausa angry angry
Having too many school sons and daughters, some of which i inherited from my school mother and father (few of the girls later became my girlfriend) kiss kiss
Sneaking out with my "mofty" (baggy jeans and over-sized T-shirt) with my favourite school daughter to club (may God forgive me!) embarassed embarassed
Drinking water from the ground by sieving it with stones

Getting punished for writing my name on the ceiling (bad guys thing) grin grin
I'll stop here

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by dulphines: 3:09pm On Mar 20, 2013
Drinking water was hard to find. We drank from well filled with snakes, frogs and scorpions. Rainy season was a relief, we fetched from rooftop drains!
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by Samsantos9: 3:10pm On Mar 20, 2013
Never been to a boarding school before sad
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by Nobody: 3:12pm On Mar 20, 2013
ayobase: It reminds of a time when we had to touch faeces in the middle of the night, and went back to sleep without washing off....the last guy packed the left-over of the faeces!

Chai! shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin

Bros, do the females also pack theirs or na only for males? Which would mean una follow pack theirs? lipsrsealed grin
Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by modextus(m): 3:14pm On Mar 20, 2013
El Guapo:

grin
lemme jus say we attended same boarding school..i can still remember when a senior would give me 10naira that i should buy 50naira buiscuit 100naira garri 20naira sugar and bring back 200naira change grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Boarding School Experiences by dridowu: 3:14pm On Mar 20, 2013
Boarding school alwaz on point. Js 1 - SS 3. I love it, dn continue at d Uni 4 6yrs, NYSC CAMP ALSO, thank God for dos exp. I will alwaz choose boarding school anytme anyday

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

MISSING RESULTS..A huge Embarassment To The National Open University. / Requirements To Study Accounting. / SSANU, NASU To Begin 14-Day Nationwide Warning Strike On October 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.