Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,927 members, 7,803,016 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:28 AM

Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? (3041 Views)

Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? / What Is The True Sabbath Day, Saturday Or Sunday? / What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Morgan1092(m): 4:18pm On Mar 17, 2013
Really want 2 know which is the true sabbath day.
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by benjichuks(m): 4:36pm On Mar 17, 2013
I believe dis sabbath day ish is really applicable during d old testament, and den it was a saturday. Buh now d sabbath dae shuld be d dae U hv set aside 2 really worship God
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Morgan1092(m): 4:39pm On Mar 17, 2013
benjichuks: I believe dis sabbath day ish is really applicable during d old testament, and den it was a saturday. Buh now d sabbath dae shuld be d dae U hv set aside 2 really worship God
U mean it now depends on choice?
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by EazyJ(f): 6:30pm On Mar 17, 2013
Gen 2:1'And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had made;and He rested......'I believe sunday which is d 7th day is d sabbath day.
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by CrazyMan(m): 6:35pm On Mar 17, 2013
Morgan1092: Really want 2 know which is the true sabbath day.
Why are you so keen on knowing which day it falls...its not as if your going to observe it anyway. undecided
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Morgan1092(m): 7:01pm On Mar 17, 2013
CrazyMan:
Why are you so keen on knowing which day it falls...its not as if your going to observe it anyway. undecided
If u dnt hav anytin 2 comment, u kip quite.
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Mar 17, 2013
Eazy J: Gen 2:1'And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had made;and He rested......'I believe sunday which is d 7th day is d sabbath day.
Sunday is the 7th day? How do you count your weekdays?
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Morgan1092(m): 10:30pm On Mar 17, 2013
brokoto: Sunday is the 7th day? How do you count your weekdays?
4me i tot week starts on Sundays
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by ogunsam75(m): 10:44pm On Mar 17, 2013
Eazy J: Gen 2:1'And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had made;and He rested......'I believe sunday which is d 7th day is d sabbath day.
Sir, what type of calendar are u using?
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by enilove(m): 10:58pm On Mar 17, 2013
Saturday was the Sabbath day. There are reasons why most Christians now worship on sudays. This does not make it a sin ,as long as you set a day aside to worship God.
Remember that Jesus said in Mark2:27 that "Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath".
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Mar 17, 2013
enilove: Saturday was the Sabbath day. There are reasons why most Christians now worship on Sundays. This does not make it a sin ,as long as you set a day aside to worship God.
Remember that Jesus said in Mark2:27 that "Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath".

the only reason why people worship on Sunday is because the catholic church changed it and the current Protestant churches are too ignorant or scared to change it back. Read it up.

"Sabbath was made for man". That statement was made when Jesus was trying to teach the people not to be too rigid on that day. That its alright to help people in distress on said day and not be to 'holy holy'. It in no way encourages swapping of the days.

Moreover, YOU do not choose the worship day. Your God has already chosen it for you and he says its the 7th day. Shikena!

1 Like

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Geewan(m): 11:16pm On Mar 17, 2013
enilove: Saturday was the Sabbath day. There are reasons why most Christians now worship on sudays. This does not make it a sin ,as long as you set a day aside to worship God.

Wow!
You need to explain to us what you wrote above especially setting aside a day to worship God.
The question still remain is Sunday or Saturday sabbath day?

Waiting for a better answer...
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Joagbaje(m): 2:57am On Mar 18, 2013
Saturday was the Jews sabbath. But Christians worship on Sundays because Jesus resurrected on Sunday.

1 Like

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by okeyxyz(m): 6:03am On Mar 18, 2013
Joagbaje:
Saturday was the Jews sabbath. But Christians worship on Sundays because Jesus resurrected on Sunday.

Correct!!!
Not that sunday holds any special significance to me though...
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 8:32pm On Mar 18, 2013
brokoto: the only reason why people worship on Sunday is because the catholic church changed it and the current Protestant churches are too ignorant or scared to change it back. Read it up.

"Sabbath was made for man". That statement was made when Jesus was trying to teach the people not to be too rigid on that day. That its alright to help people in distress on said day and not be to 'holy holy'. It in no way encourages swapping of the days.

Moreover, YOU do not choose the worship day. Your God has already chosen it for you and he says its the 7th day. Shikena!

We are not under obligation to recognize any holy days. After the sacrifice of Jesus the only obligation we are under is LOVE, day in day out, 24-7, 365 days.

Besides who told you the Gregorian calendar accurately captures saturday as the day God rested?

1 Like

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Mar 18, 2013
Joagbaje:
you worship on sundays cos emperor constantine said so,not God.
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Mar 18, 2013
Lord_Reed:

We are not under obligation to recognize any holy days. After the sacrifice of Jesus the only obligation we are under is LOVE, day in day out, 24-7, 365 days.

Besides who told you the Gregorian calendar accurately captures saturday as the day God rested?
what is love absent obedience? The first part of the 10 commandments talks about mans obligation to love God while the latter parts talks about his love for his fellow man. How can you say you wanna obey God without observing his instructions? You might as well worship other gods or make graven images or take his name in vain. Why specifically choose the fourth one to do away with?

Now, I don't know if the gregorian accurately portrays Saturday as the 7th day but since its what we use now then we might as well try to be as accurate as possible.

By the way, you're right. Constantine changed it to Sunday, not some flimsy excuse of a ressurection.
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 11:38pm On Mar 18, 2013
brokoto: what is love absent obedience? The first part of the 10 commandments talks about mans obligation to love God while the latter parts talks about his love for his fellow man. How can you say you wanna obey God without observing his instructions? You might as well worship other gods or make graven images or take his name in vain. Why specifically choose the fourth one to do away with?

Now, I don't know if the gregorian accurately portrays Saturday as the 7th day but since its what we use now then we might as well try to be as accurate as possible.

By the way, you're right. Constantine changed it to Sunday, not some flimsy excuse of a ressurection.

You are missing the point Jesus makes when He said there will come a time we would not need to worship at the temple mount because we shall worship in spirit and in truth. The law has being perfected in love. You don't need a specific day to worship God or to show love. This the what God wants above the following of "commandments".

1 Like

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 12:25am On Mar 19, 2013
Lord_Reed:

You are missing the point Jesus makes when He said there will come a time we would not need to worship at the temple mount because we shall worship in spirit and in truth. The law has being perfected in love. You don't need a specific day to worship God or to show love. This the what God wants above the following of "commandments".
ok. If the point is to worship in spirit and truth then why worship on Sunday at all? Why do majority of Christians nowadays call Sunday the Sabbath day Don't tell me you are not aware of that.

The OP asks which day is really the Sabbath and the correct answer, as accurate as possible with the gregorian calender is Saturday! Shikena. You are making a totally different argument here.

If for one reason or the other you choose to ignore it while striving to worship god in 'spirit and TRUTH' then its your own choice.

Saturday is the 7th day and therefore the Sabbath. If you choose not to observe it, its a different case but don't deny the fact.
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 8:56am On Mar 19, 2013
brokoto: ok. If the point is to worship in spirit and truth then why worship on Sunday at all? Why do majority of Christians nowadays call Sunday the Sabbath day Don't tell me you are not aware of that.

The OP asks which day is really the Sabbath and the correct answer, as accurate as possible with the gregorian calender is Saturday! Shikena. You are making a totally different argument here.

If for one reason or the other you choose to ignore it while striving to worship god in 'spirit and TRUTH' then its your own choice.

Saturday is the 7th day and therefore the Sabbath. If you choose not to observe it, its a different case but don't deny the fact.

Listen, get it right, the law (as delivered to the jews) has been fulfilled in Christ therefore there is no need for any sabbaths. Sunday is not a reflection of sabbath rather it is simply a day to gather with the brethren. Look at Acts 15 and specifically verses 28 and 29, the Apostle Peter said the burdens of the law which includes the sabbaths were not fulfilled by the jews so why place such burdens on the gentiles just coming into the faith?

Let us not place ourselves back under a burden we don't need to carry.

1 Like

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 9:49am On Mar 19, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Listen, get it right, the law (as delivered to the jews) has been fulfilled in Christ therefore there is no need for any sabbaths. Sunday is not a reflection of sabbath rather it is simply a day to gather with the brethren. Look at Acts 15 and specifically verses 28 and 29, the Apostle Peter said the burdens of the law which includes the sabbaths were not fulfilled by the jews so why place such burdens on the gentiles just coming into the faith?

Let us not place ourselves back under a burden we don't need to carry.
oga you are quite funny. Jesus said he didn't come to abolish the law. Remember? Matt 5:17-19, Matt 12:8

He even went to the synagogues to preach on sabbath days. Mark 6:2

When Jesus addressed the Sabbath issue he didn't even insinuate that we shouldn't keep it. The burden you're talking about is the unnecessary strain the priests put on the Sabbath, like insisting you mustnt do anything not even to help someone in distress. Matt 12:10-12

You carefully avoided where I said that most Christians now call Sunday the Sabbath day.

To be clear, the 10 commandments are not a burden. It was the rigid interpretations by the pharisees that were a burden. If the law is a burden why do away with just 1/10th of it? Have you done away with the others too?

Now to the OP, which day is the Sabbath day? Have you answered that?

P.S I read the whole of acts 15 and it in no way reinforces your argument. If anything, it does mine(first two sentences on 5th paragraph).
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by wazobiaforu(m): 10:53am On Mar 19, 2013
I love when xtians share idea and debate on a particular issues but i hate when someone is bein rigid to learn new thing or always want to turn Bible upside down to justify hes idea -- Lord_reed

Saturday = Sabbathday
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Joagbaje(m): 2:52pm On Mar 19, 2013
okeyxyz:

Correct!!!
Not that sunday holds any special significance to me though...

I agree with you. Days are no longer significant for the new creation who worship in the spirit.

Col 2:16
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
(KJV)

1 Like

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 3:43pm On Mar 19, 2013
brokoto: oga you are quite funny. Jesus said he didn't come to abolish the law. Remember? Matt 5:17-19, Matt 12:8

He even went to the synagogues to preach on sabbath days. Mark 6:2

When Jesus addressed the Sabbath issue he didn't even insinuate that we shouldn't keep it. The burden you're talking about is the unnecessary strain the priests put on the Sabbath, like insisting you mustnt do anything not even to help someone in distress. Matt 12:10-12

You carefully avoided where I said that most Christians now call Sunday the Sabbath day.

To be clear, the 10 commandments are not a burden. It was the rigid interpretations by the pharisees that were a burden. If the law is a burden why do away with just 1/10th of it? Have you done away with the others too?

Now to the OP, which day is the Sabbath day? Have you answered that?

P.S I read the whole of acts 15 and it in no way reinforces your argument. If anything, it does mine(first two sentences on 5th paragraph).

I did not say Jesus abolished the law I said He fulfilled it. There is a difference. In fulfilling the law we go beyond the bounds of the law to do things in love both for God and for man. In loving God you and I don't need a sabbath or a special day to worship Him and to show Him how much He means to us.

I did not avoid that. Most christians are following tradition when they call sunday a sabbath; the apostles most definitely did not call sunday a sabbath.

If you walk in love and in the spirit you will go beyond the ten commandments. This is what Jesus was trying to say when He said if you look at a woman in lust you are sinning. We are to go beyond those commandments and the only way is through love. Even the rich young ruler who had obeyed the ten commandments from his youth up still lacked this essential ingredient.

My answer to the sabbath question still remains there is no need for any sabbaths. Worship God in spirit and in truth, 24-7, 365.

3 Likes

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 3:46pm On Mar 19, 2013
wazobia_for_u: I love when xtians share idea and debate on a particular issues but i hate when someone is bein rigid to learn new thing or always want to turn Bible upside down to justify hes idea -- Lord_reed

Saturday = Sabbathday

You are funny. I am rigid? I am turning the bible upside down? What a laugh! Read your bible and stop being held bound by tradition!

Jesus came to set you free not place you into bondage to the elements. Worship God in spirit and in truth everyday and anytime; don't wait for a special day or special place.

If that to you is twisting scripture you are very welcome.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 3:53pm On Mar 19, 2013
Joagbaje:

I agree with you. Days are no longer significant for the new creation who worship in the spirit.

Col 2:16
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
(KJV)

Thanks for that quote. We are not burdened with respect for any "holy" days, we do what we do for LOVE!

2 Likes

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by wazobiaforu(m): 6:12pm On Mar 19, 2013
Lord_Reed:

You are funny. I am rigid? I am turning the bible upside down? What a laugh! Read your bible and stop being held bound by tradition!

Jesus came to set you free not place you into bondage to the elements. Worship God in spirit and in truth everyday and anytime; don't wait for a special day or special place.

If that to you is twisting scripture you are very welcome.

People always use stories to avoid questions and to manipulate and justify demself,i have learn that from a long time and that is why we have diff churches with diff doctrin and they will all justify demself or do you think Cele and Cherubu will not justfy der garment and no shoe?

No story is needed, when is Sabathday? Shikena
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 7:18pm On Mar 19, 2013
wazobia_for_u:

People always use stories to avoid questions and to manipulate and justify demself,i have learn that from a long time and that is why we have diff churches with diff doctrin and they will all justify demself or do you think Cele and Cherubu will not justfy der garment and no shoe?

No story is needed, when is Sabathday? Shikena

What story? I quoted scripture and you call it story. Suit yourself.

Fact remains christians do not have a sabbath.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Mar 19, 2013
wazobia_for_u:

which of the cults do you belong to? or are you just hopping BTW Christianity and islam?
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Mar 19, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Fact remains christians do not have a sabbath.
fashi all those long epistles up there. Is this your answer to the OP?
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 10:26pm On Mar 19, 2013
brokoto: fashi all those long epistles up there. Is this your answer to the OP?

Fashi the scriptures? Pay attention please and stop jumping at your preconceptions.

I have given you an answer, study scriptures and see the truth; you are free to worship God in spirit and in truth.

1 Like

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Mar 19, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Fashi the scriptures? Pay attention please and stop jumping at your preconceptions.

I have given you an answer, study scriptures and see the truth; you are free to worship God in spirit and in truth.
are you serious? Did you read the quotations I gave up there? Have you answered the OP? My preconceptions indeed. Lmao.

You keep saying worship god in spirit and truth. What exactly does the truth part mean to you?

Obeying your Gods commandment is a burden? Ok o.

You said something about the rich man. When he asked Jesus things he ought to do, what was Jesus' first response? The law. Did it look like Jesus wanted Christians to do away with the law? The issue is that keeping the law religiously won't get you anywhere if you don't love your God and your fellow man but it in no way implies disregarding it. Ignoring a part of it is disobedience. Simple.

You can squirm all you want but if constantine and the catholic church hadn't changed it we won't be here having this argument.

Again, which day is the Sabbath day? Pls answer the OP. Whether you keep to it or not is a question for another day. Just answer the OP.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pastor Catches Wife Having Sex With Guest Pastor He Invited To His Church / Jwfacts.com, Watchtower Society's United Nations NGO Status / Is God Both Male And Female?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.