Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,867 members, 7,798,892 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia (5728 Views)

Why Call Yourself “salafi”? / A Story Of A Sunni Imam And Shia Ayatollah / Shia Justice And The Sunni Predicament On The Popular Middle East Revolutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Go Down)

Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by deols(f): 5:58pm On Mar 17, 2013
1. Is it possible for everyone to be just Muslims rather than being sunni or shia?

This thread shall not be derailed pls.smiley
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by chinedumo(m): 6:14pm On Mar 17, 2013
Nope
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by ShiaLagos1: 6:19pm On Mar 17, 2013
deols: 1. Is it possible for everyone to be just Muslims rather than being sunni or shia?

This thread shall not be derailed pls.smiley

yes it is very much possible to be "just Muslim" in theory.but practically that is near impossible,because of historical influences.

in Africa when our ancestors were converted to become muslims,no one told them what they were being given is one version of the story and not the complete story.many muslims today in Nigeria don't know they are sunnis in practical terms.they don't even know what is sunni or shia.that is a sad reality of the ignorance prevailing,and the lack of choice that was back then when people were introduced into the religion.

now if you don't want to be sunni or shia,that is theoretically possible but practically impossible.and even theoretically,from a Shia view,your faith would not be complete if you do not follow both the Quran and the Ahlul-Bayt (as).the Prophet (s) said we must follow after him the "thaqalain" or "the two weighty things",as we find it in the Hadith of the Two Weighty Things.

not being sunni or shia would entail you remove everything in practicing Islam that either of the two sides associate themselves with.for instance when praying you must stop shouting "ameen" after reciting al-fatiha,do not pray taraweeh in jama'ah,do not fast on Ashura etc (in order not to be seen as Sunni and be identified by the Shia as following bid'ah).or you should not pray on turbah,grief on Ashura,or do Ziyara of the Ahlul-Bayt (as) (in order not to be seen as shia).

so really,it becomes a situation whereby you may do somethings by the shia and somethings by the sunnis.you end up in confusion.that is why whenever the Shia are around,the Sunnis feel threatened because their traditions are about to be replaced with what the Shia see as the right way of practicing the religion.

but like I said,theoretically yes it is possible because whoever recite and accepts the shahadatain is a muslim.but when it comes to practicing Islam,then the problem arises.on every contentious issue between the two parties,you either choose the shia or the sunni viewpoint on practice.as for me,i am Shia because I follow the will of Allah (swt) and the Prophet (s) by holding on to the "Two Weighty Things".all other things that sunnis hold onto,that are contentious and the shia reject stems from outside the Quran and the Ahlul-Bayt (as),i.e. it is either Umar did that or Muawiya said so,and to the Shia these people are usurpers and not worthy of being religious authorities,especially when it comes to new things that can be classified "bid'ah".I am not ready to "follow" those who themselves should have been "followers" (of the Ahlul-Bayt) instead of imposing their own will on the muslim ummah.like I said,the official version of the sunni caliphate was introduced as "islam" into Africa,without specifying it.but in the middle east where the division was,the people knew what they were and what they chose to follow.now,we are learning too our Islamic history and religion.and with the internet and events around the Islamic world (like in Iraq,Iran,Lebanon,Bahrain,Pakistan),we get to know what truly is Shia Islam.Before we used to hear the propaganda that stigmatizes the Shia and even try to take them out of the fold of Islam altogether.but now,with the internet and fast info,we know the truth,that we were deceived to be Sunnis.
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by deols(f): 7:37pm On Mar 17, 2013
MOdified
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by deols(f): 7:38pm On Mar 17, 2013
Any response that doesnt have a direct relationship with my question would be hidden in sha Allah.

@ tbaba, I genuinely seek answers. My asking or not doesnt stop these people from their arguments. But the answers they give will help me understand them the more. And I do want the understanding-like very much.
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by deols(f): 7:41pm On Mar 17, 2013
1b.

I mean the just Muslim in relation to the nomenclature.

Must I make it known that I follow this sect of Islam. Put in mind, there was nothing like sunni or shia at the time of the prophet and of the khilafatun Rashidun
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by tbaba1234: 8:16pm On Mar 17, 2013
Q1. Too late for that, The messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) said:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever among you lives after I am gone will see a great deal of dissent.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (4067); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

He also said that a group of muslims will drift away from the main body of muslims:

“Those who came before you of the people of the Book split into seventy-two sects, and this ummah will split into seventy-three: seventy-two in Hell and one in Paradise, and that is the jamaa’ah (main body of Muslims).” Narrated by Abu Dawood (4597) and others; classed as saheeh by al-Haakim (1/128)

I am sure you know who make up the main body of muslims.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also described them in the following terms: “My ummah will split into seventy-three sects, all of whom will be in Hell except one group.” They said: Who are they, O Messenger of Allaah? He said: “(Those who follow) that which I and my companions follow.” al-Tirmidhi (2641)

There is no obligation to identify yourself as sunni but in other to differentiate you from the other groups,you will still be called sunni.Keep to the main body of muslims and you are fine. Just follow the sunnah of the messenger as exemplified by his companions and you are fine.

1b. Like i said earlier, because the Ummah is divided. There is a need to differentiate them somehow hence the names. Individually, you can just label yourself muslim.
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by ShiaLagos1: 8:25pm On Mar 17, 2013
deols: Any response that doesnt have a direct relationship with my question would be hidden in sha Allah.

Madam,
my post you hid has to do with your question.there was no drift even though it was a reply to tbaba's post.if you want to hear both sides,then please unhide my post.that is a bad beginning to start the thread.i don't mind if you restrict this thread only for me and tbaba.you can hide this post,and unhide the other one.then we can continue with the thread.thanks.
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by hadbak: 12:02am On Mar 18, 2013
Yes! The holy Qur'an has clarified that except we choose not to adhere to it.
Allah says; It is He (Allah) Who has named you MUSLIMS...Q22:78. Not shi'a, sunni, salafi and their likes..
With due respect I feel sorry for those people who say there is need to differentiate their type of islam simply becus the ummah is divided..what an excuse!. Allaah! is the knower of the seen and unseen. He knows the ummah will be divided yet He never said we should differentiate our type of islam.
The thing is if you can testify, "I believe there is only one God Allah and Muhammad is His messenger and servant".. you are a Muslim(that's what I stand for). It is only when you insist on adding an adjective to describe a particular "type" of Islam that the problems begin to surface.
May Allah grant us understanding, ameen
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by tbaba1234: 12:53am On Mar 18, 2013
^You have presented a rather simplistic view which unfortunately is not realistic. There are real differences amongst muslims and it is impossible to have unity because some of these differences are quite serious and would not be solved in our life-times. Ex: people like the ahmadiyya call themselves muslims but say the messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) was not the last prophet. They have some random guy, they call a prophet. They will also testify: "I believe there is only one God Allah and Muhammad is His messenger and servant" but what they have done is kufr. How can there be unity with a group like that?

Personally, i do not like the tags but you can not run away from them. You can not be idealistic in a real world. Even the messenger told us that we will be divided into sects and only one group is saved. Do you want the other groups muddled with this one group? I give you a simple illustration, if you have balls of different colours, how do you differentiate them? by their colours... That is why there are names... All the balls are not the same.

The problems were always going to happen and it will be even more muddled when you can not say who is who. In fact, that leaves room for a lot of corruption of the original beliefs. What has happened is in the Qadr of Allah, we can't change it. Different understandings are fine and are even encouraged but some of the differences are very very problematic. Certainly, i feel some of the name calling have to stop, particularly within the main body of muslims with little theological differences but it is very difficult.

If i meet a person that gives me salams, i assume he is a True believer regardless of his beliefs. I understand your sentiments but it only works in an ideal world. The most important thing for every muslim is to follow Allah's book and the authentic sunnah of the messenger (peace and blessings be upon him), focus on the bigger picture instead of things we cannot change and be good to people.

1 Like

Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by maclatunji: 8:55am On Mar 18, 2013
^That group are not recognised as Muslims even if they call themselves that. http://alhafeez.org/rashid/overview.htm
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by koreye: 10:04am On Mar 18, 2013
May Allah guide us Amin
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by deols(f): 10:16am On Mar 18, 2013
Pls I am trying to not offend anyone and be balanced. You can use d report button for your complaints.
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by deols(f): 10:25am On Mar 18, 2013
Ok. I can see some people agree to d need to differentiate while someone doesn't.lemme present an example to express how I feel.

While growing up, I knew myself as a Muslim and nothing more. I understood Islam simply as submission to the will of God.

Then one day, my dad came and said we should stop reciting solatul fatih..I later understood why. Then I would go for a camping and come back to find myself changed. Like, d alfas we had used to pray by the name of the prophet and then I stopped.they would celebrate maulud and I just wouldnt anymore.

But despite all of these differences, we were all just Muslims. In fact, I didnt start to know of the names of d different sects until after my secondary schl education.

Now if I find myself among people of my extended family, it doesnt really matter. My grandma is always praying. And when she asks us to recite solatul fatih, which btw is her favorite, my cousins would look at me smiling, saying u are not reciting abi? and I wld smile back.same happens with the other things that we can not agree on.

Now imagine that I just shout them down saying, I am totally against you and will not recite with you and your recitation is a sin..bla bla...I doubt that we wont already be having problems in d family.

I dont mean that we would totally close eyes while others do wrong. But we can at least correct them, having it in mind that we are a brethren and stop all the name calling, etc. Some even kill each other over these arguments..
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by deols(f): 10:33am On Mar 18, 2013
2. I used to know of the name ahli sunnah wal jama'a but these days, I see many people calling themselves salafis.

Did the need to further differentiate the sunnis just arise or my nija peeps are just getting into salafism? I used to think d definition of ahlisunnah included following d footsteps of d salafs
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by pmc01(m): 3:38pm On Mar 18, 2013
deols: 2. I used to know of the name ahli sunnah wal jama'a but these days, I see many people calling themselves salafis.

Did the need to further differentiate the sunnis just arise or my nija peeps are just getting into salafism? I used to think d definition of ahlisunnah included following d footsteps of d salafs
Yes, you are right. Those who stay rightfully on the path that the Prophet (PBUH) and his worthy companions pioneered are refered to as Ahlu-s-Sunnah wal Jamaah. This is because in that popular hadith about the Muslims dividing into 73 sects, the Prophet (PBUH) mentioned that the saved sect are the Jamaa'. When probed further by his companions (May Allah be pleased with them all), he explained the Jamaa' to be those who held steadfastly unto his Sunnah. Hence, that name, Ahlu-s-Sunnah wal Jamaa' (those who are adherents of the Sunnah).
However, the correct creed is that it is totally disliked and discouraged that some people now come together in a group and start refering to themselves as that. That is Riyah (show off). Just hold on to the sunnah specifically for Allah's sake, without any publicity stunt. I ask Allah for pardon wherever I might have erred in my submission... Allahu a'alam.

1 Like

Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by pmc01(m): 4:02pm On Mar 18, 2013
However, whoever is an unrepentant patron of Bid'ah (innovations) is clearly of the Ahlul Bid'ah wal jamaa' (adherents of the Bid'ah). No matter what name such people ascribe to themselves (even if they call themselves Sunni), they are definitely among the 72 lost sects. Note that those 72 strayed sects will be determined by their aqeedah (ideology), and not by their names.
However, these people mentioned above will mainly be people who innovate things that invalidate one's tawheed [full acceptance of the oneness of Allah in all ramifications and the Messengership of Muhammad (PBUH)] and who deliberately refuse to repent till their demise. What this means is that those that make minor mistakes that fall under innovations might be forgiven by Allah, if He wills. But, it is totally discouraged to innovate even the most minor thing in the deen. This is because the implication of any innovation in the deen is that the Prophet (PBUH) didn't complete his mission before leaving the world, Na'audhubillah. This is absolutely wrong cos Allah told us in Surah Al-Maidah, 5:3 that '...He (Allah) has perfected the Religion of Islam...'. The question then is, 'Is there anything beyond perfect?' Of course, not.
The Prophet (PBUH) also mentioned in an authentic Hadith that: 'Every innovation is Misguidance, and every misguidance leads to the Hellfire'.
Therefore, we should keep away from any innovation in the deen of Islam and also discourage it as much as we can, rather than concentrating all our focus on promoting names... May Allah forgive me wherever I have erred. Allahu a'alam.

2 Likes

Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by deols(f): 4:03pm On Mar 18, 2013
Thank you for the answer @pmc01.

Are you saying the need to be called salafi rather than ahlisunnah is so as not to appear as doing riyah??
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by pmc01(m): 4:14pm On Mar 18, 2013
The Salafs simply refer to our righteous predecessors. The current trend of calling someone Salafi is most likely intended to mean someone who emulates the Salaf. And Sunni probably is intended to mean an adherent of the Sunnah.
But as earlier stated, what is more important is the sunnatic deeds you do, and your sincerity in doing them. Bearing such names is still advised to be done away with, as much as one can, so as not to lead to unworthy show-off or even bid'ah, in the extreme case. The companions were not known with such attributes... May Allah forgive me wherever I have erred. And I stand to be put aright wherever I might have strayed. Allahu a'alam.
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by shialagos2: 4:49pm On Mar 18, 2013
tbaba1234: Q1. Too late for that, The messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) said:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever among you lives after I am gone will see a great deal of dissent.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (4067); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

He also said that a group of muslims will drift away from the main body of muslims:

“Those who came before you of the people of the Book split into seventy-two sects, and this ummah will split into seventy-three: seventy-two in Hell and one in Paradise, and that is the jamaa’ah (main body of Muslims).” Narrated by Abu Dawood (4597) and others; classed as saheeh by al-Haakim (1/128)

I am sure you know who make up the main body of muslims.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also described them in the following terms: “My ummah will split into seventy-three sects, all of whom will be in Hell except one group.” They said: Who are they, O Messenger of Allaah? He said: “(Those who follow) that which I and my companions follow.” al-Tirmidhi (2641)

Salam,its "LagosShia".spam-bot banned my main username.

I am only making this post to clarify on the two hadiths you posted.the hadith is accepted by the Shia,but the parts which specify the "saved/guided sect" (as the Sunni sect), are evident forgeries/tampering or interpolations in both abu-dawud and tirmidhi.i will later expand on the clarification,and contribute on the question of the salafi phenomenon (which is distinct and separate from the mainstream Sunni body,by the salafi standards and claims), pending "deols" reaction.

Insha'Allah if "deols" agrees to my suggestions,then I will participate in this thread further.but until then,SALAM!
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by pmc01(m): 4:54pm On Mar 18, 2013
Some people do mock the adherents of the Sunnah by calling them Salafis, Wahabbis, e.t.c. This could be borne out of ignorance or pure resentment. It all doesn't make sense... Allahu Musta'an.
NB: Imam Muhammad AbdWahab is a past scholar whose extensive works on Tawheed has continued to be relevant over time in the field of Tawheed, especially to the adherents of the Sunnah. Hence, the name, Wahabbis.

1 Like

Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by pmc01(m): 5:11pm On Mar 18, 2013
What I meant by 'minor mistakes that fall under bid'ah' in my second comment are those who unintentionally recite things that are bid'ah when they clearly intended to do an acceptable act of worship. E.g. Reciting Solatul Fatih in the place of Solatul Ibrahimiyyah (which is the one recommended in the Sunnah).
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by deols(f): 5:30pm On Mar 18, 2013
pmc01: The Salafs simply refer to our righteous predecessors. The current trend of calling someone Salafi is most likely intended to mean someone who emulates the Salaf. And Sunni probably is intended to mean an adherent of the Sunnah.
But as earlier stated, what is more important is the sunnatic deeds you do, and your sincerity in doing them. Bearing such names is still advised to be done away with, as much as one can, so as not to lead to unworthy show-off or even bid'ah, in the extreme case. The companions were not known with such attributes... May Allah forgive me wherever I have erred. And I stand to be put aright wherever I might have strayed. Allahu a'alam.

I understand you perfectly. I have also always had a problem with the name but I remember one of the teachers I have had saying, being on the fence is another 'sect' on its own, making it seem like I wasnt in d perfect group.
The statement never changed my stance though.
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by deols(f): 5:34pm On Mar 18, 2013
shialagos2:

Salam,its "LagosShia".spam-bot banned my main username.

I am only making this post to clarify on the two hadiths you posted.the hadith is accepted by the Shia,but the parts which specify the "saved/guided sect" (as the Sunni sect), are evident forgeries/tampering or interpolations in both abu-dawud and tirmidhi.i will later expand on the clarification,and contribute on the question of the salafi phenomenon (which is distinct and separate from the mainstream Sunni body,by the salafi standards and claims), pending "deols" reaction.

Insha'Allah if "deols" agrees to my suggestions,then I will participate in this thread further.but until then,SALAM!

You mean the suggestion asking me to show the hidden post?

I have checked the post again and it doesnt relate with my question. To satisfy you, I hid tbaba's cos I realised you were trying to answer him and his response wasnt directly related to d question either.

You should see this avenue as a way to clear my doubts and should give your responses pls.
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by shialagos2: 5:53pm On Mar 18, 2013
deols:

You mean the suggestion asking me to show the hidden post?

I have checked the post again and it doesnt relate with my question. To satisfy you, I hid tbaba's cos I realised you were trying to answer him and his response wasnt directly related to d question either.

You should see this avenue as a way to clear my doubts and should give your responses pls.

ok,thanks for the fairness.insha'Allah,i will soon give my responses.

what of the suggestion that you limit this thread to me and tbaba.we both can answer your questions and also respond to each other.in that way,the thread would be more constructive and free from quarrels and unnecessary exchanges.if it fine with you and tbaba,it is fine with me.
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by deols(f): 8:38pm On Mar 18, 2013
I dont think it should be limited. More people can come on board to give responses
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by LagosShia: 10:59pm On Mar 18, 2013
The Qurestion of the Division Within the Ummah and the 72 or 73 Sects that Will Emerge,and Which the "Saved/Guided" One Would Be By: LagosShia

as i earlier stated,the hadith from the Prophet (sa) that the ummah will divided into 72 or 73 sects and only one of these is the "saved/guided" sect,is accepted by both the Shia and Sunnis.

in addition to the prophecy,in a later development, the Wahhabis have dishonestly inserted two clauses into the hadiths in the books of abu-dawud and al-tirmidhi.let us examine the two hadiths,and the clauses inserted or interpolated ,and make an analysis.

the first hadith:
“Those who came before you of the people of the Book split into seventy-two sects, and this ummah will split into seventy-three: seventy-two in Hell and one in Paradise, and that is the jamaa’ah (main body of Muslims).” -Narrated by Abu Dawood

the second hadith
“My ummah will split into seventy-three sects, all of whom will be in Hell except one group.” They said: Who are they, O Messenger of Allaah? He said: “(Those who follow) that which I and my companions follow.” -al-Tirmidhi

the interpolations or forgeries (i.e. the two clauses inserted) are the highlighted part within the hadiths above,inserted on the basis of sectarian bias.how did we know?

Analysis of the first hadith:
the expression, ”Ahl as-Sunnah wa'l-Jama'ah” has been inserted in order for them (Sunnis) to claim that the Holy Prophet (s) has approved of the Ahl as-Sunnah from the very beginning.

It must be said that the phrase, ”Ahl as-Sunnah wa'l-Jama'ah,” is not extant in any of the primary and authoritative references of the Ahl as-Sunnah. Since the Wahhabis could not add the name of their sect in the hadith as Wahhabism/Salafism is a nascent group, and on the other hand, since they associated themselves with the Ahl as-Sunnah (i.e. Sunnis generally) and their mission is to magnify the Sunni-Shi`ah dichotomy, they have inserted the phrase, ”Ahl as-Sunnah wa'l-Jama'ah” in the hadith so as to fortify the notion that the Prophet (s) had approved of the Ahl as-Sunnah from the very beginning, and none other than them have been formally recognized.
Therefore, once the expression, ”Ahl as-Sunnah wa'l-Jama'ah,” is added, this question springs to the mind:

Which group refers to the saved sect? Undoubtedly, the group, which is closer to the Book of Allah, the Sunnah of the Prophet (s), and the Ahl al-Bayt ('a) and takes more recourse to them, is the saved group. It is because in the traditions narrated in the Sunni references it is emphasized that only the group which holds fast to the Book of Allah and the Ahl al-Bayt ('a) will not go astray (the hadith is called "Hadith of the Two Weighty Things" ).

Analysis of the second hadith
There is no doubt that the Shi’a are the sole Sect that have in light of established facts been highly critical of some of the Sahaba, that includes Abu Bakr, Umar and Uthman. If we are to accept the argument advanced by these fatwas that the Shi’a are kaffir or misguided on account of their views of the Sahaba then it makes logical sense that the Shi’a will enter the Fire on the Day of Judgement for holding such a belief.

the Prophet (sa) has said that his Ummah would become divided in to 73 Sects, only one would enter paradise all the others would go into the Fire. On the basis of the clause that the "saved/guided" sect is the one which follows the "companions", let us for arguments sake conclude that the Shi’a due to their condemnation of a number of Sahaba are one of the 72 Sects that shall enter the Fire. That leaves us with a further 71 Sects that shall also join the Shi’a in Hell. The difficulty for the Sunnisis the fact that of the remaining 71 Sects all revere the Sahaba, and are not critical of any one of them. Despite the fact that they respect all the Sahaba they shall still enter the Fire on the Day of Judgement!

This proves that respecting or "disrespecting" the Sahaba is NOT that factor that shall determine whether the adherents of a Sect shall enter Hell on the Day of Judgement! This is clear and logical. I would invite those with open minds to ponder this point carefully and to think twice before being taken in by these forgeries.

the second point on the forgery in the second hadith,is who are the "companions"? the companions were in the thousands.and even among those regarded by Sunnis as within the inner circle of those closest to the Prophet (sa),they disagreed even among themselves and fought.for instance,am i to follow Usthman or Abu Dhar al-Ghifari (ra),whom the former tortured and banished? am i to follow Ammar Ibn Yasser (ra) who stood by Imam Ali (as),or am i to follow Muawiya? Ammar Ibn Yasser (ra) was killed by Muawiya's forces in the Battle of Siffeen,which was fought between Imam Ali (as) and Muawiya.ofcourse,our Sunni brothers would tell us we should not occupy ourselves with what happened in the past between the companions.but if so,then how do you know which companion or group of companions to follow? if you do not know those you look up to,then how can you be sure you're following the right people? Sunnis criticize the Shia for scrutinizing the history of the companions and being critical of a number of them,particularly those highly repected by Sunnis like Abu Bakr,Umar,Usthman,Muawiya,Aisha,Hafsa and some others. the "companions" were not a uniformed body,who agreed with one another and had no disagreement and followed the same line of thinking.among the companions you also have someone like Rubay'at ibn Umayah,who converted to Christianity.are we to follow his footsteps and convert too to christianity,because Rubay'at was a companion?

Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani reported:
"He accepted Islam on the day of the conquest of Makkah and witnessed the Farewell Hajj.Although there is no doubting that he was a Sahabi, it is also reported that he apostatized during the reign of Umar.Rubay'at drank alcohol during the reign of Umar and escaped to Syria and from there to Caesar (i.e. Rome), he became a Christian and died there".
Source: Al-Isabah. Vol 3, Pg. 584 - 586, Person # 2765.
Fatah Al-Bari. Vol 7, Pg. # 314.

and ofcourse you have the "Twelve Hypocrites" among the companions:
Muslim narrated from Qotada from Abi Nazra from Qais ibn Ebad from Ammar ibn Yasir from Hudhaifah who said: The messenger of Allah (saw) said:

"AMONG MY COMPANIONS ARE TWELVE HYPOCRITES (Munafiqeen) WHO WILL NEVER ENTER PARADISE or find its scent, until the camel enters the thread of the needle. Eight of them will be struck by the Dubaylah, which is a missile made of fire that appears between their shoulders and pierces their chests."
these twelve men among the companions had attempted to assasinate the Prophet (sa) in Uqaba,while returning from the expedition of Tabuk.

here is a narration of the event in Sahih Muslim:
Narrated Zuhair ibn Harb narrated Aboo Ahmad al-Kufi narrated Al-Walid ibn Jumai from Aboo Tufail (r.a) reported that there was a dispute between Hudhaifah and one from the people of Uqaba as it happens amongst people. He said: I adjure you by Allah (swt) to tell me as to how many people from Uqaba there were. The people said to him (Hudhaifah) to inform him as he had asked. We have been informed that there were fourteen and If you are to be counted amongst them, then there would be fifteen and I state by Allah (swt), that twelve among them were the enemies of Allah (swt) and of His Messenger (saw) in this world and on the day in which witnesses are called out. The rest of the three put forward this excuse: 'We did not hear the announcement of Allah's Messenger (saw) and we were not aware of the intention of the people as he (the Holy Prophet) had been in the hot atmosphere. He (the Holy Prophet) then said: The water is small in quantity (at the next station). So nobody should go ahead of me, but he found people who had gone ahead of him and he cursed them on that day.
Source: Sahih Muslim. Pg. 1282, H # 2879

"Because of this, Hudhaifah was called the owner of the secret, which nobody knows because he could specify a group of Munafiqeen and they were those people about whom the the messenger of Allah (صلی الله و علیه و آله وسلم) informed him, Allah (swt) knows best".
Source: Tafsir ibn Kathir. Vol 4, Pg. # 181 - 182.

Who Were the 12 Hypocrites That Tried to Assasinate the Prophet (sa) and the Prophet (sa) Informed Hudhaifa of Their Names?
i will not comment or point finger and accuse any companion of being among the hypocrites,or one of the 12.i will not do so because that is not the point i am trying to make,and because i dont want anyone to feel offended.the point i am trying to make is that the companions were diverse,and differed among themselves in many respect,and some were cursed even by the Prophet (sa) himself.as for the identity of the 12 hypocrites,i will simply present narrations from reliable Sunni sources of respected Sunni scholars (some of which the Salafists view as their predecessors) so everyone see what is written there.

1.) Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani:
Hudhaifah is one of the 14 noble companions of the Messenger of Allah (صلی الله و علیه و آله وسلم). The Messenger of Allah (صلی الله و علیه و آله وسلم) revealed to him the names of Munafiqeen, [/u]and protected him from the difficulties of the Hour, [u]and Umar was swearing him by Allah: "Am I among these Munafiqeen?" in which he Hudhaifah replied, "By Allah (swt), no! I will never tell anyone after you."
Musaddad said: Narrated Yahya from Al-A’mash from Zaid ibn Wahab who said: I heard Hudhaifah (may Allah be pleased with him), saying: "Another man of Munafiqeen died, and I will not pray on his funeral,Umar then said: what prevents you to pray on him? I said: Because he was one of them, (Umar) said: By Allah am I also one of them?! I said: 'No.' Then Umar cried. The chain of this hadeeth is Saheeh, and (the other narration via) Ya’qoob ibn Sulaiman from the narration of Zaid ibn Wahab is denounced.
Sources: Matalib Al-A'lia. Vol. 14, Pg # 702.
Tarikh Al-Islam of Al-Dhahabi. Vol. 3, Pg # 494

2.) Ibn Abi Shaybah:
Narrated Abdullah ibn Nomair from Al-A’mash from Abdulmalik ibn Maysara from Al-Nazzal Ibn Sabra who said: Ibn Masoud and Hudhaifa entered upon Uthman, Uthman said to Hudhayfah I have been informed that you have said such and such? Hudhayfah said: ‘No, by Allah (swt) I haven’t said that’, when they went out ibn Masoud he said to Hudhaifa: 'What is wrong with you?! Why did you deny what I heard you say (about Uthman) before?' He said: 'I spare parts of my religion with other parts of it, because of the fear to loose it completely'.
Source: Al-Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah. Vol. 11, Pg. # 359 - 360.

3.) Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya:
Narrated Abdullah Abdulmalik ibn Maysara from Al-Nazzal ibn Sabra who said: 'Hudhaifa swore by Allah (swt) to Uthman that he hasn’t said things that we heard him say. So we said to him: O Aba Abdullah, We heard you swearing by Allah (swt) to Uthman that you haven’t said some things even though we heard you saying those things?!' Whereupon he replied: 'I spare parts of my religion with other parts of it, because of the fear to loose it completely'.Source: A’laam Al-Mo’waqihin. Vol. 5, Pg. # 119.

4.) Al-Dhahabi:
Narrated Al-A’mash from Shaqiq who said: We were sitting beside Hudhayfah and Abdullah (ibn Mas'ud) and Aboo Moosa (Al-Ash’ari) entered the mosque, Hudhaifa said: 'One of these two is a Munafiq', then he continue to say: 'The most similar people to the Prophet (saw) in his character, his actions and manner is Abdullah. (i.e. Aboo Musa is the Munafiq).
Source: Siyar Ahlam Al-Nobala.Vol. 2, Pg. # 393 - 394.

Ibn Hazim summarized in the best manner to give us an insight on whose name Hudhaifa had said or hinted to have been among the 12 hypocrites,while Ibn Hazim puts up a defense for the accused:

Ibn Hazim:
"Hudhaifah's hadeeth is false, because it is narrated through Walid ibn Jumai – he is unreliable – it seems he does not know who fabricated the hadeeth, because he narrated many reports in which it is stated that Aboo Bakr, Umar, Uthmaan, Talha and Sa’d ibn Abi Waqas, attempted to murder the Holy Prophet (saw) by pushing him over from Al-Uqbah during Tabuk. This is a fabricated lie!"
Source: Al-Muhalla. Vol. 11, Pg. # 224.

Ibn Hazim explicitly reveals they are numerous reports through Walid ibn Jumai in which the identities of Munafiqeen were revealed. The names of those who attempted to kill the Prophet (saw) were Aboo Bakr, Umar, Uthmaan, Talha and Sa'ad ibn Abi Waqas. But these narrations are no where to be found in any of the book of the so called 'Ahl Sunnah' today. Where have these narrations gone? Is there a attempt to cover this plot? i have also above presented 4 other narrations that deal individually or singly with the "suspects",even though the "many reports" that Ibn Hazim mentions where 5 highly regarded companions to the Sunnis are mentioned together,we do not have them presently to examine them,and weigh Ibn Hazim's opinion on the matter of those reports which we do not presently have.

the question of who the 12 hypocrites among the companions were,and who were cursed by the Prophet (sa) and promised hell fire,is not my concern.i have simply demonstrated the following:

1.) there were hypocrites among the close companions destined for hell fire and cursed by the Prophet (sa) himself.
2.) Hudhaifa,who was also a companion,was giving hints against other companions held in high regards by Sunnis,of being among the 12.it is either Hudhaifa (a companion) was the liar,or those highly held companions by Sunnis were truly among the 12 hypocrites.

with these two points, and my earlier explanation on Abu Dharr (as) and Usthman,and Ammar Ibn Yasser (ra) who was killed by Muawiya's party (referred to by the Prophet as the "misguided party" ),i have buried the notion that we should "follow the companions",because the "companions" were not a unified body,nor were they all the perfect examples we can look up to.i have made my point without bringing in the usual Shia arguments and evidence against the likes of Abu Bakr and Umar.usually on the companions,the Shia raise the issue of the usurpation of the caliphate,the siezure of the land of fadak,the attack by Umar on the house of Sayyida Fatima (as),the tragedy of Karbala,among others,most of which took place after the death of the Prophet (sa).but here i have resorted to none of the instances the Shia traditionally point to when talking about the bad/misguided/unexpected/disliked side of some of the companions.the Shia mostly point to instances that have to do with the oppression of the Ahlul-Bayt (as) by some companions (respected by the Sunnis) after the Prophet's (sa) death,and a few instances during the Prophet's (sa) lifetime that the companions disobeyed the Prophet (sa),e.g. the Event of Pen and Paper.but here i have made my point that with or without the sahaba (respect or disrespect),there are sects that respect(ed) the sahaba that will be among the 71 doomed sects.and also,i have pointed to the relations between the companions themselves and even during the life of the Prophet (sa),to show they were not a uniform body,and were so diverse,contradictory and some not guided (in particular the one who apostasize and converted to Christianity),that no one can claim the companions as a whole body to be one and all of them guided that we can look up to collectively.that notion is false,and evidently wrong.

however,there are many among the companions who abide by the Quran and the Ahlul-Bayt (as) as per the will of the Prophet (sa) in Hadith al-Thaqalain,and are therefore loved and respected by the Shia.they are the likes of Bilal,Salman,Abu Dharr,Miqdad,Muhammad Ibn Abu Bakr,Malik Ibn al-Ashtar,Ammar Ibn Yasser (may Allah be pleased with them and have mercy on their souls),etc

another point we must consider is,are those among the Sunnis who adhere to the Salafist ideology the only "saved/guided" sect,while other Sunnis (who also follow the companions) who do not associate with salafism,will also perish like the Shia (as per their claim) in spite of the fact that all Sunnis look up to the companions and do not differeniate among them as the Shia do? insha'Allah in my two subsequent posts,i will insha'Allah deal with the topic on Salafism/Wahhabism as a distinct emerging movement within the "Ahlus-Sunnah Wal Jam'ah" (sunnis),and then deal with why i believe the Shia is the "saved/guided" sect and thereby prove that we were ordered by the Prophet (sa) to follow the Quran and the Ahlul-Bayt (as) as per Hadith al-Thaqalain.

to conclude,the hadiths in in abu-dawud and al-tirmidhi already cited and analyzed,are not the only instances of Sunni (or to be precise Wahhabi/Salafist) tampering with the hadith literature to ward off the Shia claims which are grounded in the Sunni hadith literature.In the books and writings of the Wahhabis, there are many instances where the Prophetic traditions are mutilated and subjected to tahrif (distortion), they are incompletely quoted and their primary sources are not usually presented. Most cases of distortion {tahrif}, alteration {tabdil}, and deletion {isqat} in hadiths pertain to the Ahl al-Bayt ('a), descriptions of Imam 'Ali ('a) and conformity of some verses of the Qur'an with the Imam ('a), or affirmation of the Shi`ah creed.One of the hadiths being manipulated by this group is the hadith known as thaqalayn {two weighty things} when the Prophet (s) said:

"Verily, I am leaving among you two precious things: the Book of Allah and my progeny, the members of my Household."

in spite of the fact that this hadith is mutawatir (successively reported by so many companions in Sunni books),they have replaced the "my Ahlul-Bayt" with "my sunnah",which is done in a very ridiculous manner.another instance is the hadith of the Prophet (sa) in al-tirmidhi ,where the Prophet (sa) declared:

"I am the city of knowledge and Ali is its gate".

that hadith mysteriously disappeared from newer versions printed of Sahih al-Tirmidhi.so indeed,with patience and time to examine the evidence and facts available within our reach,we will reach the conclusion that being a follower of the Ahlul-Bayt (as) and a Shia of Imam Ali (as),is the only path if we follow it that can guaranty salvation and true Islamic guidance as per the teachings of the holy Quran and the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (sa).it is definitely not an easy task,and that is why i am ever grateful to Almighty Allah for making it easy for me to be among the Shia of the Ahlul-Bayt (as) of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (sa).

ALHAMDULILLAH!
LagosShia.
Re: Questions For The Sunni/salafi And Shia by LagosShia: 11:33pm On Mar 18, 2013
@deols

please after reading my above,please spare from your time and watch the lecture in the below thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/1229429/shia-reply-christian-slander-sunni

you will be touched even by reading the subtitles if you do not understand Arabic.

(1) (2) (3) (4)

The Patience Of Ummu Sulaym (rodiyallaahu Anhaa) / Praying Before The Time Of Prayer / Can We Recant A Vow Or Oath?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.