Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,596 members, 7,801,721 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

Camphor In The Tank - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Camphor In The Tank (8755 Views)

Which Tool Can Activate The VW GOLF MK7 Lift Fuel Pump In The Tank? / Fuel Consumption Reduction Using Camphor / I Was Asked To Put Camphor Into My Tank. Pls Help Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Camphor In The Tank by solex75(m): 6:00pm On Mar 17, 2013
As I was travelling from Lagos to B/Kebbi last year, after the bus I boarded filled the tank, he poured some pieces of camphor into the tank. I was shocked, I asked why ? I was told it will improve fuel efficiency and clean the nozzles. Experts in the house please throw more light.
Re: Camphor In The Tank by sultaan(m): 2:32am On Mar 18, 2013
Some believe it works, but I don't know
Re: Camphor In The Tank by Nobody: 7:53am On Mar 21, 2013
grin It will briefly increase the octane rating of the gasoline however a large chunk of the Camphor(mothball) will remain in the fuel tank till the tank/car life span ends, whichever comes first undecided. Also camphor (mothball) contains acetone which has the effect of melting/eating up rubber and plastic components in the fuel system. Lastly if camphor/mothballs are meant to be put in fuel tanks then you have found them on shelves neatly boxed!

3 Likes

Re: Camphor In The Tank by Trac: 11:59pm On Mar 26, 2013
I'm not a chemist and I don't understand the chemistry of camphor. Nevertheless, I can still apply logic. Extensive research has been put into mechanic-in-a-bottle as fuel and carbon treatment. This is my first time hearing camphor in a car. I thought camphor was to absorb moisture (maybe I'm thinking of the wrong substance). If the goal is to absorb moisture, all that should be done is nothing. The gasoline in its adulterated state will do that just fine. The fuel isn't being enriched and camphor doesn't burn to produce enough energy to heat one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit; so it isn't adding thermal energy to the fuel.

Many don't believe in the fuel treatment mechanic-in-a-bottle. Siena is one of them. There is every reason to after the fact. However, newer research has faintly proven otherwise with tests to control deposits and they got approved for deposit control. Of all the products in stores, only two (or a handful) companies have shown/proven their test; one approved by German manufacturers. Maybe a compromise was made because adulterated fuel is what is currently sold in the market plus to curb warranty labour or it really does work. I can't say but it had always worked for me.

If camphor was the deal, it would have been slightly modified, polished in name and patented. Chevron would not have spent years and millions of dollars coming up with their formulation.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Members Car Day / How Many Of These Car Emblems Do You Know / Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.