Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,249 members, 7,807,840 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:31 PM

Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? (12629 Views)

Which Music Genre Is The Best? / Which Music Artist Inspires You Most? / Nigeria Music Video Award (nmva) 2010: Which Music Video Rocked Last Year? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by fELiscatus: 7:45pm On Mar 17, 2013
The sound of familiar music can be a trigger for flashbacks of events that happened in the past or for bringing up the memory of someone you know/knew. It calls back memories of a particular person or place, and you might all of a sudden see that person’s face or the scene of a flashback in your mind’s eye.

Which music bring up such memories and what memories do they bring up?

For me there are a number of them.
Praiz's song-'rich and famous' reminds me of my present best friend, most of Yvonne Chaka Chaka's songs remind me of the children I grew up with, tuface's 'e be like say' reminds me of the very first Nigerian elections I took interest in and actively followed to the end.
And so on and so forth.

You can share yours or you can ignore this thread and move on.
The choice is yours smiley.

[size=3pt]But a reply would be highly appreciated, thanks.[/size]
Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by Nickydrake(m): 8:38pm On Mar 17, 2013
One of my earliest and most cherished musical memories is the song What is a Youth by Nino Rota, from Franco Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet (1968).

I'd get back from school each afternoon, slot the cassette in the VCR and move it to the part where the song is sung. In the evenings too, when the parents were out, i'd do the same thing.

I was in primary school at the time. Shakespeare didn't mean a thing to me - indeed i had only a loose idea of the movie's plot - but I was always drawn to that part where the folks in Capulet's ball would gather around the troubador and he'd sing that heart-rending song in what was to me the most melodious voice in the world.

Now that I think of it, it's quite strange. I'd listen intently each time, never mind that I couldn't grasp a word of the lyrics. That didn't deter me at all though, I sang the song in fluent gibberish.

All this was many years ago.

Two years ago I was surfing the net when the tune popped in my head and i was seized by a haunting bout of nostalgia. I ran a quick google search and - believe it or not - it led me to a Wikipedia article on the song. It even had the song itself in mp3! I grabbed the song off Wikipedia for starters.

Now that i'd discovered the song title and lyrics the next step was pretty easy; I got the Capulet's ball scene from Youtube. Now I listen to it one time each weekday, except on public holidays when i listen to it twice. Ha ha

Quite a lengthy narrative, but you asked for it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by fELiscatus: 8:48pm On Mar 17, 2013
Nickydrake:

I was in primary school at the time. Shakespeare didn't mean a thing to me - indeed i had only a loose idea of the movie's plot - but I was always drawn to that part where the folks in Capulet's ball would gather around the troubador and he'd sing that heart-rending song in what was to me the most melodious voice in the world.

That reminds me. Soundtracks from movies also bring back memories.
There is this song from one of Stanley Kubrick's movies 'T'aint what you do', it is a very old song and it was sung by Ella Fitzgerald. That one brings memories of my earlier years in the University smiley

Nickydrake: Now that i'd discovered the song title and lyrics the next step was pretty easy; I got the Capulet's ball scene from Youtube. Now I listen to it one time each weekday and twice on public holidays. Ha ha
lol, why do you select special times to listen to the song? You can listen to it anytime you want can't you?
Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Mar 17, 2013
*smiling* celine dion's 'tell him' reminds me of wen i was crushing on one yeye boi.. grin used to wish i could act out the lyrics (in the end i didnt have to)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by tunapawizzy: 12:24am On Mar 18, 2013
Br3nd4: *smiling* celine dion's 'tell him' reminds me of wen i was crushing on one yeye boi.. grin used to wish i could act out the lyrics (in the end i didnt have to)
smh

1 Like

Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Mar 18, 2013
tunapawizzy:
smh
for Mstcheeeewww

1 Like

Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by Shadydamsel(f): 11:39am On Mar 19, 2013
you are the love of my life

1 Like

Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by wealthlift(m): 11:42am On Mar 19, 2013
Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by GraceBestowed(f): 11:42am On Mar 19, 2013
This song for me is a mash up of 'Here's My Worship' and 'Better Is One Day' ~ this is a song that has brought tears to my eyes numerous times.

It's a worship song (as you may have imagined), and ALWAYS brings down the presence of God!

If you can, listen to it! Amazing stuff!

2 Likes

Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by Bryancrox(m): 11:44am On Mar 19, 2013
Any love sonq reminds me of my pass and new love,any party jam reminds me of d next upcominq party,any Gospel jam reminds me of my christian life.

1 Like

Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by Tjohn1(m): 11:47am On Mar 19, 2013
'SACRIFICE' BY ELTON JOHN

4 Likes

Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by mrdrizzy(m): 11:48am On Mar 19, 2013
Soundtrack form series and mvies remind me of thing..like ross copperman's letting go,of vampire diaries s3 reminds me of d days i left high sch! And missed high sch..though d song wasnt there when i left high sch,bt i jst get nostalgic,also this old kirl fraklinsong..way back in 2005 it makes me feel too moody dnt knw wht,den chris daughtery coming home..reminds me of what i miss at home with my family(mom,dad,sis)..dey are many sha!

1 Like

Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by yuzedo: 11:50am On Mar 19, 2013
Move B..itch, Gerrouda Way - Sellin Dion angry angry angry
Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by alaoeri: 11:52am On Mar 19, 2013
'He lives in me' anytime i listen to that song i feel like the world is going to an end.
Hardcore rap songs make me high like someone intoxicated.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by Culbobby(m): 11:53am On Mar 19, 2013
Any song from enya

3 Likes

Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by pastie(m): 11:54am On Mar 19, 2013
Am patiently waiting for someone to mention
Tonto Dicke. Hi an its ova
Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by Nobody: 11:54am On Mar 19, 2013
ABBA's "Knowing me Knowing You" reminds me so much of my Late Dad, our good moments together and his Fatherly Love and Care...Same with Bob Marley's "Redemption song" that used to be his favourite. May his gentle soul Rest in Peace.

3 Likes

Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by adexsimply(m): 11:55am On Mar 19, 2013
VANESSA CARLTON's "thousand miles" just cant explain wat comes over me anytime i start listening to that song..i always end up repeating the song throughout the day
Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by Nobody: 11:55am On Mar 19, 2013
For me it's ocean drive,and high by lighthouse family.Also,everyday people by arrested development and lots more.
Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by Artistree: 11:56am On Mar 19, 2013
ALL Eric Donaldson's tracks are a delight, anytime, anyday...They remind me of my pry school days, life was pure fun then.

2 Likes

Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by greaterlove(m): 12:01pm On Mar 19, 2013
mine is Bob Marley's Forever loving Jah, that song takes me back to the times i shared with my dad in the 80's in lagos, he loves bob marley and he made me love marley too.
Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by chelseabmw(m): 12:02pm On Mar 19, 2013
Ginger Ginger by Terry G grin

2 Likes

Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by viciati(m): 12:03pm On Mar 19, 2013
'SACRIFICE' by Elton John.remains ma best song ever.
Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by yuzedo: 12:06pm On Mar 19, 2013
1. Nigerian national anthem whenever Super Eagles is playing an international match..... undecided
2. New Masquerade soundtrack
3. Old NTA 2 theme song(s)
[s]4. The music they play in 80's po'rn during action[/s]
5. Toto Dike music (because i always smile my serial-killer smile while i'm fantasizing, imagining and visualizing strangling her by her brezz) angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by GraceBestowed(f): 12:08pm On Mar 19, 2013
^^ I vividly remember the old NTA theme songs ^^
Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by Afam4eva(m): 12:08pm On Mar 19, 2013
[size=14pt]Nobody asks for your best song ever. The question is "Which Music Evokes Fond Memories in You" even if the song is your worst ever.

Personally, there's no one music that does that. Any song that was released at a particular time like the 90s for example will mosdef evoke fond memories that happened at that time.[/size]
Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by daylae(m): 12:13pm On Mar 19, 2013
Ginger williams' "strange world" brings back many memories from the 90's. Stumbled on it then when browsing my dad's old-schools records store,and i couldn't hate it even though its from the oldies then.
Downloaded the song lately and cant stop reminiscing and creating a vivid picture of how fun things were then as a kid when listening to it now.
Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by oucharman(m): 12:15pm On Mar 19, 2013
Toni Braxton-Spanish Guitar and Seal-A kiss from the rose.. help me to come over issue at nite whenever me and my first love have problem.. if i can dance with my father again and Jim Reeves 12days of Christmas reminds me of my late Dad.. Sweet mother helps me love my mom more and more.. why Fela and Tupac gat me high on my supply ever friday
Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by esn1(f): 12:15pm On Mar 19, 2013
Celine Dion songs.
Re: Which Music Evokes Fond Memories In You? by andresia(m): 12:16pm On Mar 19, 2013
HIGHLIFE by Wale Badarou

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian National Anthem - "Hausa Version" Mp3 (+ Lyrics) / Kizz Daniel - 'Jaho' (Video) / When Last Did You Listen To Radio.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.