Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:32 AM

Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness (2863 Views)

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / I Renounce Atheism And Agnosticism!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 18, 2013
First, I'm not suicidal. So no one should start worrying smiley
and.. this isn't a personal story.. (Section has become a tad boring anyways)

So, we'll have a random character/username, someone who has recently broken out from the 'captivity' of religion. For NL purposes, we'll call him Pyguru (till someone comes up with a better name).

As is expected, Pyguru has been religious all his life. He's now finding it difficult to live a life without his 'former God and his absolute morality', and is finding it hard to adjust to a meaningless, random world. He has a lot of questions he would like to ask 'seasoned' atheists in the house..

Pyguru:
Hi, I'm Pyguru. I recently became an atheist. Muskeeto has already introduced me and spoken about my situation, so there's no need to bore y'all with any other details.

First off, what are your views on suicide? With God, my life had meaning, I don't care if it was an illusion, at least I was comfortable. It reminds me of that Eskimo that asked the evangelist 'if you hadn't told me about hell, I would have a better shot at making heaven, so why tell me'.. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss and bliss is all that matters. So why didn't y'all just leave me in my 'caged' state, thanks guys, thanks a lot...

Anyways, better put your 'rational' brain to good use and give me one reason I should not end this life...
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by wiegraf: 6:44pm On Mar 18, 2013
When bored one should troll. I'll respond to this later...
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by Nobody: 6:49pm On Mar 18, 2013
wiegraf: When bored one should troll. I'll respond to this later...
Lol, I didn't make this thread for you tongue...

Done trolling on frontpage... And I've got the week off.. sad
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by wiegraf: 6:57pm On Mar 18, 2013
musKeeto:
Lol, I didn't make this thread for you tongue...

Done trolling on frontpage... And I've got the week off.. sad

So, you're trolling for fresh blood? lipsrsealed
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by Nobody: 7:02pm On Mar 18, 2013
wiegraf:

So, you're trolling for fresh blood? lipsrsealed
Chai [s]no blow my cover, thread never even start[/s]

Where's ooman when you need him? tongue
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by wiegraf: 7:04pm On Mar 18, 2013
musKeeto:

Him nearly jam BUZUGEE yesterday, it could have been interesting...
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by mazaje(m): 7:14pm On Mar 18, 2013
What makes our lives meaningful is that we find the activities we engage in to be worthwhile. Atheims is all about the here and now. We have one life to leave and as such we should make the best use of it. . .I know that religion bribes people with the myth of the after life, but the here and now is actually the most important to us all. Even the theist that keep talking about the after life all cry and wail when they come face to face with death. . .Our determination to carry out projects we have created for ourselves gives our lives meaning. The things that make us happy and give our lives meaning like family, friends, good food, sex, educationalaccomplishments, music, sports and other forms of entertainment are not eternal but they all give our lives meaning. We feel that life is meaningless when most of our desires which we regard as important are frustrated. Whether we regard life as meaningful or meaningless depends on the degree to which our important desires are frustrated. The judgments that we make about our lives on these points are the same regardless of whether one's life is eternal or not or whether it is part of a greater purpose or not. Perhaps the secret to a meaningful life is to focus on those desires which we can fulfill and diminish those which we cannot provided that we know the difference between the two.

Life is very meaningful own its own. . .It doesn't require any divine intention to make it meaningful. . .We chose to give our lives meaning by engaging in activities that make us live happy lives which translates to meaning. . . .From the fact that death is inevitable it does not follow that nothing we do matters now. On the contrary, our lives matter a great deal to us. If they did not, we would not find the idea of our own death so distressing it wouldn't matter that our lives will come to an end. The here and now matters because what we do in the here and now is what makes our life meaningful. Meaning all depends on an individual. . .
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by MacDaddy01: 7:38pm On Mar 18, 2013
wiegraf:

Him nearly jam BUZUGEE yesterday, it could have been interesting...

LWKMD!!!! grin grin grin grin

Atheist avenger (Ooman aka Homosapien) Vs Madman Christian (Buzugee aka Obadiah777)

lololol
================================================================

Sorry muskeeto,

F4ck your thread smiley
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by ooman(m): 10:35pm On Mar 18, 2013
MusKeeto, why do you share name with a blood sucker?

anyway, the only reason why you should not commit suicide is because your body is a system of conserved energy, ensuring balance according to the second law of thermodynamics. If you commit suicide, you will release your conserved energy and you will add to the pace of the already increasing entropy (disorder) of the universe, this will lead to a quick extinction of the cosmos. Scientists are hoping this will not happen until some 10 billions years to come, but if all conserved systems are releasing their energy by committing suicide, then the end is imminent.

So for the sake of the cosmos, for the sake of everything that exists, for the sake of materialism and existentialism, DO NOT KILL YOURSELF, DO NOT RELEASE YOUR ENERGY AT AN UNRIPE TIME.

I understand that everyone will at last die but then, time would have allowed us to reproduce more conserved systems.
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by ooman(m): 10:38pm On Mar 18, 2013
musKeeto:

refer to my thread above
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by Nobody: 5:16am On Mar 19, 2013
ooman: MusKeeto, why do you share name with a blood sucker?

anyway, the only reason why you should not commit suicide is because your body is a system of conserved energy, ensuring balance according to the second law of thermodynamics. If you commit suicide, you will release your conserved energy and you will add to the pace of the already increasing entropy (disorder) of the universe, this will lead to a quick extinction of the cosmos. Scientists are hoping this will not happen until some 10 billions years to come, but if all conserved systems are releasing their energy by committing suicide, then the end is imminent.

So for the sake of the cosmos, for the sake of everything that exists, for the sake of materialism and existentialism, DO NOT KILL YOURSELF, DO NOT RELEASE YOUR ENERGY AT AN UNRIPE TIME.

I understand that everyone will at last die but then, time would have allowed us to reproduce more conserved systems.

Pyguru:
What d 4k did I just read?

Lmao. Oga Ooman, take am easy. If death of any human would increase the pace of entropy of the universe, what about the various religious wars and epidemics that have claimed billions of lives throughout history? Let's not factor in the billions of humans that may have died due to natural causes.

Sorry, your theory sounds a bit delusional and 'spiritual' for an atheist... R u billyonaire in disguise? smiley
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by Nobody: 7:15am On Mar 19, 2013
ooman: MusKeeto, why do you share name with a blood sucker?

Which form of energy are we talking about here?
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by MacDaddy01: 7:20am On Mar 19, 2013
Reyginus: Which form of energy are we talking about here?

Shut up....why not focus on Majaze's comment rather than Ooman's pseudoscience?
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by ooman(m): 7:27am On Mar 19, 2013
musKeeto:

Lmao. Oga Ooman, take am easy. If death of any human would increase the pace of entropy of the universe, what about the various religious wars and epidemics that have claimed billions of lives throughout history? Let's not factor in the billions of humans that may have died due to natural causes.

Sorry, your theory sounds a bit delusional and 'spiritual' for an atheist... R u billyonaire in disguise? smiley

Death of any and all living systems means - metabolic equilibrium with the environment. Since the environment is always at higher entropy than conserved system, death will therefore add to the chaos of the environment. This can be understood fully with proper understanding of second law of thermodynamics.

Wars achieve a purpose so are expedient. Epidemics do not just kill conserved systems, millions of other conserved systems are also reproduced so there is a balance. Eg the black death that killed millions of europeans in medieval period also led to multiplication of the organism causing the disease. As hiv kills humans, the virus is increasing so there is a balance in nature.
But if everyone start committing suicide because life is hard, what will ensure balance?
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by mkmyers45(m): 7:35am On Mar 19, 2013
ooman:

Death of any and all living systems means - metabolic equilibrium with the environment. Since the environment is always at higher entropy than conserved system, death will therefore add to the chaos of the environment. This can be understood fully with proper understanding of second law of thermodynamics.

Wars achieve a purpose so are expedient. Epidemics do not just kill conserved systems, millions of other conserved systems are also reproduced so there is a balance. Eg the black death that killed millions of europeans in medieval period also led to multiplication of the organism causing the disease. As hiv kills humans, the virus is increasing so there is a balance in nature.
But if everyone start committing suicide because life is hard, what will ensure balance?
Anyone who sees this as Pseudoscience is on a long thing..These are part of the basic idealogies of Scientific Pantheism..its just Energy vs Cause/Effect
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by Nobody: 7:41am On Mar 19, 2013
MacDaddy01:

Shut up....why not focus on Majaze's comment rather than Ooman's pseudoscience?
Lol. Because mazaje emphasized on what sane minds understand. As usual, you did'nt offer any answer.
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by Nobody: 7:45am On Mar 19, 2013
ooman:

Death of any and all living systems means - metabolic equilibrium with the environment. Since the environment is always at higher entropy than conserved system, death will therefore add to the chaos of the environment.
Your first sentence contradicts your second.
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by ooman(m): 7:47am On Mar 19, 2013
Reyginus: Your first sentence contradicts your second.

A little college level biology will do you and logicboy a great good. Go back to school both of you.
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by bolaino(m): 8:12am On Mar 19, 2013
Let's focus on the issue at hand tweeps, leave ooman to his "scifi ideas" @pyguru, muskeeto said it all, no need thinking of committing suicide, and one thing u should know is that, for every action there's a reaction, so don't think that since u no longer believe in a higher power u should go about anything u feel like doing, there's all always an end result to everything we do, be it good or evil, for example if u decide to start having indiscriminate sex cos u think it's not a sin cos u're an atheist, when u contract STIs don't go blaming anybody, everything u do has to be in moderation, if u are looking for something worthwhile to do, take up a cause, it could be about saving the world, saving kids, saving whales, anything u think would give u satisfaction,
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by Nobody: 8:14am On Mar 19, 2013
ooman: Death of any and all living systems means -
metabolic equilibrium with the
environment. Since the environment is
always at higher entropy than conserved
system, death will therefore add to the
chaos of the environment.
ooman:

A little college level biology will do you and logicboy a great good. Go back to school both of you.
My people, please between I and ooman who needs to go back to biology, and a bit of chemistry?
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by MacDaddy01: 8:36am On Mar 19, 2013
Reyginus: Lol. Because mazaje emphasized on what sane minds understand. As usual, you did'nt offer any answer.

So you even confess that Majaze answer makes sense but you went for the easy target called Ooman.

You are truly useless.

By the way, I have had two threads dealing with this issue of atheism and suicide before. I couldnt be bothered with repeating old points again.

You on the other hand are an empty barrel.

@ Ooman- shut up.
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by ooman(m): 8:39am On Mar 19, 2013
MacDaddy01:

So you even confess that Majaze answer makes sense but you went for the easy target called Ooman.

You are truly useless.

By the way, I have had two threads dealing with this issue of atheism and suicide before. I couldnt be bothered with repeating old points again.

@ Ooman- shut up.

it is said that most atheists lack scientific knowledge - this is what i see you display

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by Nobody: 8:45am On Mar 19, 2013
ooman:

it is said that most atheists lack scientific knowledge - this is what i see you display
Someone's missing davidylan. Not all atheists are scientists, Ooman. Or is that a prerequisite to becoming an atheist?

Just lay out your points plainly to avoid any confusions, @rey has already pointed out the error in your previous posts...
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by Nobody: 8:47am On Mar 19, 2013
MacDaddy01:

You are truly useless.

@ Ooman- shut up.
Lol. Is their anything wrong in quoting your previous post?
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by MacDaddy01: 8:49am On Mar 19, 2013
Reyginus: Lol. Is their anything wrong in quoting your previous post?

What do you mean?
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by ooman(m): 8:53am On Mar 19, 2013
musKeeto:
Someone's missing davidylan. Not all atheists are scientists, Ooman. Or is that a prerequisite to becoming an atheist?

Just lay out your points plainly to avoid any confusions, @rey has already pointed out the error in your previous posts...

there was NOTHING contradictory about that. If you think there is, pls point out plainly.

Death of any and all living systems means -metabolic equilibrium with the environment. Since the environment is always at higher entropy than conserved system (life forms), death will therefore add to the chaos of the environment. Meaning, death will lead to release of energy, increase in energy is increase in entropy of the environment.

So once again, where is the contradiction?
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by Nobody: 8:58am On Mar 19, 2013
ooman:

Okay, Mr scientist. Let's focus on the thread. Though not an atheist, let's delve in a bit .
To start with, to be sure you are holding unto something, can we explain suicide scientifically?
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by MacDaddy01: 9:02am On Mar 19, 2013
ooman:

there was NOTHING contradictory about that. If you think there is, pls point out plainly.

Death of any and all living systems means -metabolic equilibrium with the environment. Since the environment is always at higher entropy than conserved system (life forms), death will therefore add to the chaos of the environment. Meaning, death will lead to release of energy, increase in energy is increase in entropy of the environment.

So wait, what does it then matter if people commit suicide? What matters is the death not the mode of death in this case. Since death is inevitable, you complaint about suicide fails.
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by ooman(m): 9:05am On Mar 19, 2013
MacDaddy01:

So wait, what does it then matter if people commit suicide? What matters is the death not the mode of death in this case. Since death is inevitable, you complaint about suicide fails.

death is inevitable, but suicide could mean death before reproduction, this is the only difference. Besides, if people live longer, they would conserve their energy longer, this gives the cosmos more time to stay in balance. This is what second law of thermodynamics is all about.

I dont care about his feelings, as Dawkins said" The universe owe no one a sense of hope or comfort". I only care about living systems fulfilling the purpose of their evolution.

This is why life evolved in the first place, to conserve energy, which is what we do best when we stay alive!
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by Nobody: 9:05am On Mar 19, 2013
MacDaddy01:

bro, if the argument is made any simpler, it would be an insult to retards..

Ooman dey fall hand..
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by ooman(m): 9:07am On Mar 19, 2013
musKeeto:
bro, if the argument is made any simpler, it would be an insult to retards..

Ooman dey fall hand..

your lack of knowledge of your environment is alarming!
Re: Atheism And Suicide... And Other Randomness by Nobody: 9:13am On Mar 19, 2013
ooman:

Let me help you, Mr scientist. On a brief note, equillibrium tends to define a state of a system where their is no change in the properties, with respect to time.
ooman, the period anything goes into equillibrium with some other thing, it presumes what it is going into is at zero value. The same applies here. What I think should be the right word here is 'state'.
Otherwise, entropy and equillibrium are not the same thing. Deal with this, how can anything exhibit entropy at equillibrium, when entropy is zero at equillibrium?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Atheism Is Growing In Nigeria With Proof / What Is The Bible Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues? {glossolalia Or Xenoglossy} / Pagan Mary Queen of Heaven Worship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.