Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? (7655 Views)

Fraud Alert! Federal Government Academy, Suleja: Scholarship Or Burden? (PIX) / I Want To Study Medicine Abroad With A Scholarship Or Sponsorship / If You Want To Study Abroad On Scholarship Or Tuition Free, See This! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by Rare(m): 1:12pm On May 08, 2006
I'm praying so hard that fortune smiles on me with a scholarship for graduate schools overseas.
Is there anybody here who has ever won such a thing, or indeed any lottery?

I just want to know how 'real' all this is; first hand
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by Consultant(f): 1:00am On May 11, 2006
I did my MBA at Emory University, Atlanta on a full scholarship - $45,000.
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by Rare(m): 11:14am On May 12, 2006
Did you apply for it? Which scholarship foundation was that?
Were you expecting to win it?
Was the entire process transparent?
Would it have jeopardized your chances of the MBA, if you hadn't won it?

Lastly, how did you feel?

How do you feel now after the accomplishment.
Is it paying off?

Too many questions,
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by Orikinla(m): 2:48pm On May 13, 2006
I am a member of the Institute of Humane Studies (IHS) and IHS offers scholarships, grants and other opportunities.

For more details see http://conscienceofdemocracy..com
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by CoolDave(m): 3:38pm On May 13, 2006
One is out now it's called British Chevening Scholarship,takes good care of your studies and welfare,get the form at the Brtish council here in Abuja or in Lagos,don't miss it,all the best!!! kiss
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by bolex(m): 10:23pm On May 13, 2006
well, scholarships depends on eligibilty
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by Consultant(f): 12:12am On May 14, 2006
Did you apply for it? Which scholarship foundation was that?
Were you expecting to win it?
Was the entire process transparent?
Would it have jeopardized your chances of the MBA, if you hadn't won it?

Lastly, how did you feel?

How do you feel now after the accomplishment.
Is it paying off?

Too many questions,

Hmm, many questions alright but i'll try and answer them. I got the scholarship directly from the school. Emory's business school automatically considers all their applicants for scholarships based on the strength of their applications. I had a pretty strong application and a high GMAT score so yes, i was expecting to get a scholarship. The process of course, is entirely transparent. No be naija now. smiley
As for my chances without the scholarship, i say NADA coz 45,000 dollars aint a small amount of money and my father is a retired civil servant so there is no way i could have paid the fee, hence i was definitely elated to get it. The ROI is even better - i got one of the best paying jobs in my graduating class.

After my MBA, i got a $20,000 scholarship from the American Association of University Women (AAUW). It was to fund my PhD at Harvard's Graduate School of Education but i had to suspend that to focus on my family.

The bottom line is get a very good score in the GMAT or the GRE, put together a strong application and you stand a good chance of getting a scholarship - in the US anyway. The UK is not as easy coz most organizations that give scholarships to school in the UK require you to return to Naija afterwards. The Ford Foundation also gives out scholarships and you can get the application in Nigeria. Check out my website www.usastudyinfo.com. It has a lot of information that you will find useful and links to scholarship sites. All the best.
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by bolex(m): 10:23am On May 14, 2006
in UK

get the best score

You aint getting jack

If I was in USA

I would have gotten 100 scholarships with ma brains wink

I know maself

Anywayz , UK schools are runing bankrupt so they are recruiting international students so they can cover thier debts

So , forget Uk if you looking for granst or whateva

The highest scholarship I have gotten so far is £500.00 and I hope it is renewable

grin

It only paid ma bills of course ,

duh!!!!!!!!!!! cool
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by kellybaba(m): 4:36pm On May 15, 2006
please,does anyone know about the commonwealth schorlarship? when is d result of their interviews usually released and thru wch media?
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by bolex(m): 5:23pm On May 15, 2006
hey , were yu invited for an interview ?

lucky ass
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by CoolDave(m): 7:34pm On May 15, 2006
Commonwealth's result will be out in June/July  but dear brother,don't pack your eggs in one basket--I met the lady in charge of the "Education" section,she gave the same advice,so move on,get the British Chevening form at the British Council,Its hot so go grab it.
Waiting for the result too.
PTDF just axed me three weeks ago shocked,nice one,best two from non-oil-producing States,3 from oil producing, and preference for ladies.
E go beta sha grin
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by kellybaba(m): 1:42pm On May 16, 2006
hi cooldave,many thanx 4 dat very valuable information. guess i may re-try chevening though am quite sceptical cos d last tym wasnt funny.i was axed !
all da same,many tx
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by micklplus(m): 2:30pm On May 16, 2006
Scholarship and grant winners !
Yes o, we are here  cheesy
Though, mine wasnt an international scholarship . it was a church thing and i was happy when it was announced. The scholarship covered all fees when i was doing my ordinary diploma  and my Advanced Diploma ! How Lucky can one get?  cheesy
Scholarship to me, is very beautiful development as it made me to do all that i could not to disappoint the people that gave me the scholarship which actually made me to perform so well when i was on the programmes.

I am still eyeing some other international scholarships when i am finally ready to go for my Masters. Or is anyone saying i shouldnt ?  cheesy

Thanks cooldave for the vital information provided. U are the man ! cheesy
Cheers
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by Rare(m): 5:02pm On May 18, 2006
It's really nice to hear everything I hear on this topic . Thanks all of you!!!!

With regards to the Chevening scholarship at British Council, it seems Work Experience is a major factor. Am I right??
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by bolex(m): 10:23pm On May 18, 2006
yes

it gets you on a favourable part
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by CoolDave(m): 7:58am On May 19, 2006
Hey guys---no qualms at all,Chevening form's been postponed to the first week in June, Let's grab the Spirit,never let go ,one will click someday and BANG! we are there!!! all da best guys. cheesy
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by Idekeson(m): 3:52pm On May 20, 2006
@Rare
There are many scholarships and grants in the US but like Consultant advised it all comes down to the strenght of your application. No mago-mago. If you excel in your field you shall surely get one.
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by bolex(m): 4:04am On May 21, 2006
@ Idkelson

To your prayer

AMEN
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by pfowighz(m): 4:47pm On May 30, 2006
Hey guys, cud u please elab on what u mean by "good application", in terms of
1. Academic Qualification (1st class, 2-2,e tc)
2. Standardized Test Scores.
3. Essay(s)
4. E.t.c.

Thanks!!! smiley
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by Consultant(f): 8:23pm On May 30, 2006
Hey guys, cud u please elab on what u mean by "good application", in terms of
1. Academic Qualification (1st class, 2-2,e tc)
2. Standardized Test Scores.
3. Essay(s)
4. E.t.c.

Thanks!!! 

Academic qualification: A GPA of 2.8 on a scale of 4. You may get it without that but the rest of your application has to be stellar.

Standardized test scores: In the GMAT, at least a 600/800 for less competitive schools and 660/800 for good schools. On the GRE, i would say at least 1300/1600 but some less competitive schools could give you a scholarship with a lower score than that. SAT, definitely at least 1300/1600 because scholarships are rarer for undergrads.

Essays: Interesting very well written essays. Check out http://www.usastudyinfo.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=2.

Others: Great recommendations. That is very important. A lot of people want their MD at work or the VC of their school to write their recommendations. The problem is that usually those people don't know you very well so they write you a template recommendation. In actual fact it doesn't really matter if the recommendation is written by your peer at work or a junior lecturer, the most important thing is that the person knows you personally and can say very nice things about you.
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by CoolDave(m): 7:20pm On Jun 02, 2006
Female consultant,
You seem to know some few things about this,may I know what body you work for?or are you on your own?
You might have yourself a client.
But you have to be real good to win me though.
Bye
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by Rare(m): 8:08pm On Jun 03, 2006
Female Consultant!!!; she's been so helpful to me. Sha has many clients. I love her.
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by Rare(m): 8:08pm On Jun 03, 2006
Female Consultant!!!; she's been so helpful to me. She has many clients. I love her.
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by Consultant(f): 1:54am On Jun 04, 2006
Female Consultant!!!; she's been so helpful to me. Sha has many clients. I love her.

Thank you Rare. I'm glad to have been of help.

Female consultant,
You seem to know some few things about this,may I know what body you work for?or are you on your own?

Actually, i don't work anywhere within the American education system. It's just something i'm passionate about. I'm a management consultant. I work for a firm called Deloitte Consulting in the US.

You might have yourself a client.
But you have to be real good to win me though.
Bye

Hmm. Are you sure you can afford me? cheesy
Seriously though, most of the information you need i already provide for free on my website, but i'm always willing to answer questions.
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by victorjude: 11:36am On Jun 19, 2006
hello guys, there is a new scholarship in town. i think certain politicians are using it as a political strategy for the upcoming election. anyway what concern me is my own share of national cake. try this schcolarship programme (www.thomsoncrowther.bravehost.com).
long live nairaland
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by Consultant(f): 2:12pm On Jun 19, 2006
Thomson Crowther is a non political, non ethnical and non governmental organization sponsored by eminent Nigerians, aiming to promote the educational career of Nigerians in both undergraduate and postgraduate levels by giving scholarships to students. At present, Universities where we extend our scholarships to are Harvard University, Stanford University, University of Calgary and Oxford University

The sole aim of this great foundation is rendering the foreign GRE (Graduate Record Exams), TOEFL (Test of English language as a Foreign Language) and the SAT exams insignificant as possible, but encouraging Nigerians to appreciate their country by giving them essay topic on current happenings on Nigerian society to write upon and in return giving scholarships to worthy Nigerians that have excelled in this essay write up, thus, our scholarship is strictly merit oriented.

This is an opportunity for Nigerians to express themselves on issues concerning our beloved country and see whether Nigeria society is worth studying, as you never can tell if you will be among this year Thomson Crowther scholarship train to Harvard University, Stanford University, Oxford University and University of Calgary.

This is a quote from the site. I am somewhat skeptical of an organization that awards scholarships to Harvard, Stanford and Oxford Universities and yet cannot employ someone who can express themselves properly in the English Language to update their website. Besides anytime someone wants you to pay money to get money i would say BEWARE!!!
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by dafman(m): 3:03pm On Jun 19, 2006
You're right consultant, this is clearly fraud. Look at the procedure from the site for participating in the scholarship programme, it is ridiculous, the website is even more ridiculous. Some Nigerians are something else, trying to take advantage of their fellow brothers and sisters

How to apply for the January 2007 postgraduate Thomson Crowther scholarship

1.    pay Registration fee of two thousand, five hundred naira(=N=2,500) in any branch of First Bank into the account number 111451163901.

2.    write an article (1500 - 2500 words) on Zoning of Nigerian Presidency (criticize or support this statement). (Note, PDF or Microsoft word only should be used to write your essay)

3.    submit or send the following as an attachment to thomsoncrowther@usa.net

scanned First Bank teller showing your name as name of depositor

applicants essay write up

applicant's undergraduate's certificate or statement of result

recent photograph (colour)

The subject for your mail should be postgraduate Thomson Crowther scholarship

APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER 4:00 PM (NIGERIAN TIMING) ON NOVEMBER 30TH, 2006 WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED

winners will be announced and published on December 31st 2006
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by victorjude: 11:20am On Jun 20, 2006
are u guys saying thomsoncrowther scholarship is a fraud, well i ve been to their lagos office for confirmation and i think its for real cos their mansion is a paradise. though consultant, i thot it was fake iniitially, but i realised its real, wot i dont know is whether their method of selection will be transparent.
guys update me with any scholarship programme, i need it.
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by Consultant(f): 8:27pm On Jun 20, 2006
I still say be careful. They are very vague about the entire procedure. Will they help you gain admission to Harvard, Oxford or Stanford or is the scholarhsip contingent upon you getting the admission by yourself - which i might add is no small feat? What does it cover and is it for a single year or the duration of your education? Even if they are sincere, i don't think they know what they're doing.
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by dollypee1(f): 10:18pm On Jul 20, 2006
i got a scolarship 4rm rotary club in ibadan,came at d wrong but i got d check anyway,another 4rm bode foam scholarship eduacatn board in ibadan.
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by Rare(m): 6:26pm On Jul 22, 2006
Dolly-Pee
Are these scholarships of yours for postgraduate studies? Are they for academic purpose within or outside Nigeria
Re: Any Scholarship Or Grant Winners Here? by dollypee1(f): 9:46pm On Jul 22, 2006
NO ,THEY ARE 4 UNDERGRADUATES,IN AS MUCH AS U UR SCHOOL IS IN D WESTERN PART OF NIGERIA AND U ARE 4RM IBADAN U ARE ENTITLED FOR A SCHOLARSHIP. THESE SCHOLARSHIPS ARE 4 STUDENTS IN PART I,2 AND 3AND D CHECK COVERS UR TUITION,ACCOMODATN,SCHL FEES ND OTHER MISCELLEONOUS STUFFS.DONT NO BOUT POST GRADUATE STUDIES BUT D SCHLSPS ARE WITHIN NIGERIA.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2014/2015 ATBU Admission Thread(the Great Balewite Lets Meet Here) / OAU Admission Cut Off Mark For 2014/2015 Is Out (departmental) / NIJ Appoints Kalesanwo First Female Registrar (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.