Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,927 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:38 AM

6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba (28900 Views)

Abubakar Ali In Auto Accident In Kano (Photo) / Girl Killed In Aba Yesterday During The Search For IPOB Members / Femi Adesina's Sister Dies In Auto Accident (2) (3) (4)

Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by biolabee(m): 8:48am On Mar 21, 2013
chaircover:

I understand exactly what you are saying but I remain firm. If everyone cant have a seat belt on in a car that i will drive, then someone is going to have to get out of the car. I dont care who gets offended and with time people got to understand my stance.

My daughters booster seat always travels with us and as far as I know, all airlines carry booster seats for free (they dont count it as weighed luggage, same as with pushchairs) and even if you want to put it in a suitcase, they are not heavy anyway but you hardly see any parents come off flights and picking up their kids booster seats from the conveyor belt. Perfume for uncle A and Ipad for aunty B is a more important item to pack for some people than a booster seat. It seems that the Naija sun turns us all into james bond the man who never dies

. . Also its not just good enough for kids to sit in the back seat, they must be strapped up as well, because in an accident they can actually fly out of the windscreen or even kill the front seat passenger with the force that they will land on top of the front seat passenger

All said and done, this was a tragic accident & I feel for the family. It was all down to ignorance and sadly they paid a very heavy price for it. Many of the people blaming this woman have sat in cars without seatbelts or have been in cars where kids have not worn seatbelts or sat in the front. No one is perfect and Lets just pray that we do not become lessons to other people.

this is what a Booster seat looks like & argos do them starting from only £7.99 - Please lets keep our kids and loved ones safe

RIP baby
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by justmenoni: 8:56am On Mar 21, 2013
May Her gentle soul rest in perfect peace.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Nobody: 9:07am On Mar 21, 2013
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by aisog: 9:29am On Mar 21, 2013
Condolences to the family of the young child.

A note of advice to all; airbags as a safely measure can be hazardous without SEAT BELTS, as an adult if u must sit at the front pls endeavour to use your seat belts and as much as possible discourage d habit of allowing kids to sit in front seats.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Flygerian1(m): 9:35am On Mar 21, 2013
R.I.P Ada.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by chucky234(m): 9:36am On Mar 21, 2013
tonididdy: i still dont know how the airbag killed her?
Suffocation
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Funjay(m): 9:37am On Mar 21, 2013
so sad but most of us are not even mentioning our driving culture. Just because sum1 was impatient and tried to do some James Bond stuffs, a life is gone.
Even if an adult has been sitting in front, a life could still have been lost as we have seen and heard such instances before.

Bottom line, lets be cautious when we are on the road because our carelessness could cause more havocs than we can ever envisaged.

Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by ibi1: 9:38am On Mar 21, 2013
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by chucky234(m): 9:40am On Mar 21, 2013
I have driven on several occasions with my four year old daughter sitting in front seat but I always have her firmly restricted by the seatbelt.
RIP angel.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by fm7070: 9:45am On Mar 21, 2013
I think this is the reason why the Federal Road Safety Corps said we should put infant and toddlers at the back of the car.
The girl must have been sitting in front of the car and this is very dangerous.
May her gently soul rest in the bossom of the Lord
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by chucky234(m): 9:48am On Mar 21, 2013
chaircover: Please we are all learning everyday . . me included.

a couple of people have mentioned the airbag expiring . . and although we all agree that kids shouldn't be sitting in the front especially in a car that has airbags what do people mean by expiring airbags? have airbags got to be replaced/removed after a certain time?

My understanding is that when you put the key in the ignition, the car computer (sorry dont know what its called) does a lot of checks such as oil checks, air bag checks, brake checks etc. I would have expected that if the airbag was malfunctioning in some way, a warning light should have come on on the dashboard.

Maybe some car experts will come on here and explain so that this kind of thing doesnt happen again. It is well.
There is always a warning light blinking on your dashboard if there is anything wrong with your airbags,its left for you to understand what ear signal light stands for by making out time to read your car manual.
Some car models also gives you the option of switching off your airbags,I often put off my airbags especially when driving with my daughter sitting on the front seat but I make sure she is firmly restricted by the seatbelt.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by tellwisdom: 9:51am On Mar 21, 2013
Nonyeremeze: @tellwisdom d girl in is my neice n her mum is my elder sister so B4 u talk u ask questions,d were in a holdup n she was only in gear 1 according to d mechanic d airbag exploded because it has expired o dnt b fast to talk wen u were not were it happend mind u God is watching

Sorry for the lost man

What was supposed to be a happy homeward journey ended in tragedy when an impatient motorist suddenly tried to beat the vehicle in her front, a Toyota Corolla at the U-turn opposite St. Patrick’s College. In an attempt to avoid hitting the car, the driver suddenly stepped on the break pedal. A panicky Mrs. Emmanuel attempted stepping on her break pedal, too, so as not to collide with the car in her front but it was too late.

I know how you mean but it does not mean that all female drivers are rough
Do you expect me to let my wife and kids be jumping bus? pleazee
also airbag deployment does not always mean the car is on speed

Don't get me wrong-Majority of them tend to display this disgusting attitude of-"Don't cheat me" on steering, forgetting this has to do with life and death.
My sis do this too and I've seen alot of women do the same. I still don't know why driving gets over their brain cavity sad sad
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by ibi1: 9:53am On Mar 21, 2013
This is so sad, and highly unfortunate. I do this a number of times infact
am so very guilty of it. Simply because I do not want my kids crying behind distracting me I just put them beside me while I drive. Of course I know its a bad idea and unsafe, but most
times I convince myself that am gonna drive safe. Now, I just learnt its really not about your driving skills but also other road users and some unforeseen contingencies. Going forward, God helping
Me, they r going to sit behind and cry all dey can. This is a great lesson. I pray to God I do not become a lesson to others n we shall not see a repeat of this in Jesus name. RIP little angel

Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by FindOut(m): 10:13am On Mar 21, 2013
chaircover: Please we are all learning everyday . . me included.

a couple of people have mentioned the airbag expiring . . and although we all agree that kids shouldn't be sitting in the front especially in a car that has airbags what do people mean by expiring airbags? have airbags got to be replaced/removed after a certain time?

My understanding is that when you put the key in the ignition, the car computer (sorry dont know what its called) does a lot of checks such as oil checks, air bag checks, brake checks etc. I would have expected that if the airbag was malfunctioning in some way, a warning light should have come on on the dashboard.

Maybe some car experts will come on here and explain so that this kind of thing doesnt happen again. It is well.

Airbags are supposed to be serviced (checked for defects & possibly replaced) after 10 yrs or so from the date d car was manufactured. In many cars older than 10 years, *including the one i drive often currently*, the airbag light is usually on but we ignore it.

Now, ideally, it shouldn't be ignored, but i''m yet to see a car service centre here in Nigeria that checks/services airbags! The airbag light on means that your airbags need checking meaning that they may / may not be defective. That said, i doubt if an expired airbag will even deploy at all, as an expired airbag implies (i think) that among other things, the sensors that are supposed to trigger the airbag deployment are likely dead. Also note that while some 15 year old cars may have defective/expired airbags which may manifest when an accident occurs, some 20 year old cars have their airbags still in good condition, even tho the airbag light may / may not be on. Its better to be safe than sorry sha.

People should always try to read their car manuals (at least most/all of what is wriiten in the general maintenance section) not wait until a fault develops before doing so.

If anyone has successfully had his airbag & sensors checked for faults & fixed/ repaired here in naija, please let us know where.

The service airbag light should however not be confused with the light that comes on/off/blinks when the passenger airbag is turned off/on. That's different.

Consult your car manuals & google for further info on the state of the airbags in your car.

I stand corrected.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Okijajuju1(m): 10:33am On Mar 21, 2013
The Parents are responsible for putting their child in Danger...

All childrens car seats come with this very popular warning;

And if you drive a car that is equppied with air bags, you will also find a warning sign like this somewhere around the front passenger seat area;

And again its not news that children under a certain age are not supposed to ride in the front seat of a car and all persons in a car both adult and children should wear a seatbelt wether seated in front or behind..

I PUT THE BLAME SQUARELY ON THE PARENTS.. angry

[img]http://3.bp..com/-T_eTcx0zYXQ/ToBg1YSvnrI/AAAAAAAAB9Q/kszwh_JHrJs/s1600/Baby-Car-Seat-Carrier-Safety-Belt_8.jpg[/img]
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by lozanni(m): 11:06am On Mar 21, 2013
It's a pity the little Angel passed on just like that cry

Parents should not allow little children to sit in front of vehicles; the FRSC warned me severely about this on a certain occasion.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Costa2000(m): 11:16am On Mar 21, 2013
RIP Little Chizulum.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by agohavivi(f): 11:51am On Mar 21, 2013
Air bags can injure a full grown adult talkless of a child. It so unfortunate considering the fact that I'm guilty of it.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by aisog: 12:28pm On Mar 21, 2013
chucky234: Suffocation
The pressure with which airbags deploy is such that it can injure even a fully matured adult talk less of a child.if d seat belt is in place, it holds d passenger firmly to d sit hence minimising impact with airbag at the same time cushioning the passenger from other forces which can possibly cause injury during collision bt if there is no sit belt, the force of collision pushes passenger forward and passenger collides with the airbag causing serious injury.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by sayso: 4:34pm On Mar 21, 2013
Please people this is a very great loss to the family,no need to criticize the woman or people that keep their kids in front. Remember this was an accident and could happen even if the kids were seated at the back.RIP little angel, may the good Lord comfort the family.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by delishpot: 6:07pm On Sep 10, 2013
Watch the seat belt too. It cuts deep into the neck if it is not set well. It can even behead one in a hard accident. Little children sitting in front with the seatbelt passing their necks can easily die from injuries to their necks even adults who dont adjust their seatbelts and have it instead of passing the shoulder and chest first touch the neck can be hurt if the car has an accident. I suspect the seatbelt in this case cos of the cut in the child's neck.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by deeptesting(m): 6:24pm On Sep 10, 2013
It truly hurts me to hear or experience the death of young ones, it is a shame on death to exercise his powers on innocent young ones like our dear sister,daughter,friend and niece but I am always consoled by their smiles and innocence even in death.....RIP my little friend though we have never met..... You can never be too careful in life, you were just at the right place at the wrong time...Sleep on! Sleep on!!
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Horus(m): 6:59pm On Sep 10, 2013
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by keyremotes(m): 8:50pm On Sep 10, 2013
As painful as this is, I totally blame the parents for this death.
Most Nigerians do not regard safety instructions.
It clearly states on the stickers on the visors in from of every modern car that "the back sit is the safest place for children under 12 years of age".
These days you see women carrying rheir young ones on their laps sitting witheir husbands in fron of their car without being aware of the grave danger they are exposing their kids to.
As for me, there is a standing a d u written rule in my home that no child skt in front of any car we own.
My 7 year old daughter will tell you her daddy says so. She will even point the sticker to you.
WE SHOULD ALL BE MORE CONSCIOUS OF SAFETY IN VEHICLES.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by niggadee(m): 9:01pm On Sep 10, 2013
sad news

Dr.reuben Abati Moves To Oxford's SAID Business School (photos) / Senator Aisha Binani Describes Bayelsa As A Small State, Seriake Dickson Reacts / IBB Calls For Jihad Against Boko Haram - Bbc Hausa