Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,577 members, 7,801,652 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:32 PM

Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? (24565 Views)

Poll: Would You Terminate A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences?

Yes: 54% (60 votes)
No: 45% (50 votes)
This poll has ended

If You Propose And She Says 'No', Is The Relationship Over? / Relationship Over!!!!!!! / We Agreed To End A 3 Years Relationship Due To Religious Differences. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by zheroes(m): 10:52am On Mar 28, 2008
We've been dating for over a year now and everything was perfect but one: religious incompatibility. we knew this was a problem from the start but we probably thought one of us would be willing to change to the other's religion, I did the much I could, attended her church for close to a year but i wasn't comfortable because what i believe does not go with the teachings in her church. It was difficult but we had to agree to end the relationship if no one was willing to bend.

What would you have done in this situation?
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Kashif(m): 11:03am On Mar 28, 2008
zheroes:

We've been dating for over a year now and everything was perfect but one: religious incompatibility. we knew this was a problem from the start but we probably thought one of us would be willing to change to the other's religion, i did the much i could, attended her church for close to a year but i wasn't comfortable because what i believe does not go with the teachings in her church. It was difficult but we had to agree to end the relationship if no one was willing to bend.

If you are looking for a for-better-for-worse relationship then, religious/spriritual differences must must be given top consideration. If you are the spiritually minded then, you should have known that it is a major barrier and will eventually suffocate the relationship.

On the other hand, if it is just any other relationship, then there should be an understanding and tolerance knowing you both are going nowhere together.

Things like spiritual, genetical, and goals incompatibilities should not be treated with levity. Be a man and know that what cant be shouldn't be.

Cheers.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by zheroes(m): 11:16am On Mar 28, 2008
Kashif:

If you are looking for a for-better-for-worse relationship then, religious/spriritual differences must must be given top consideration. If you are the spiritually minded then, you should have known that it is a major barrier and will eventually suffocate the relationship.

On the other hand, if it is just any other relationship, then there should be an understanding and tolerance knowing you both are going nowhere together.

Things like spiritual, genetical, and goals incompatibilities should not be treated with levity. Be a man and know that what can't be shouldn't be.

Cheers.

thanks for your contribution, you are very correct but guess what? the relationship actually started as casual but at a stage we felt like it can be taken to another level because everything was just too perfect. thanks all the same.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by almondjoy(f): 11:47am On Mar 28, 2008
zheroes:

We've been dating for over a year now and everything was perfect but one: religious incompatibility. we knew this was a problem from the start but we probably thought one of us would be willing to change to the other's religion, i did the much i could, attended her church for close to a year but i wasn't comfortable because what i believe does not go with the teachings in her church. It was difficult but we had to agree to end the relationship if no one was willing to bend.

At least you guys tried.  I[b] would not even contemplate such an adventure. [/b] The good news is that life has no guarantees.  Even people with the same religion, same culture, same village, bound by common familial ties. . . still hit "Splitsville"! 

Better luck next time. kiss
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by PurestBoy(m): 12:10pm On Mar 28, 2008
I don't think I can
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by coopedro(m): 12:27pm On Mar 28, 2008
zheroes:

We've been dating for over a year now and everything was perfect but one: religious incompatibility. we knew this was a problem from the start but we probably thought one of us would be willing to change to the other's religion, I did the much I could, attended her church for close to a year but i wasn't comfortable because what i believe does not go with the teachings in her church. It was difficult but we had to agree to end the relationship if no one was willing to bend.

Are u a christian also?
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by earthrealm(m): 12:36pm On Mar 28, 2008
[size=22pt]sure, i will end a relationship over religious difference[/size]
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Coldasiyce(m): 12:45pm On Mar 28, 2008
i'd end it right away cos it will only get harder for me to do it as time passes
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by folly69(m): 12:47pm On Mar 28, 2008
As for me i will not end the relationship over religiuos differences if u guys truly love each other as u say and want to move to de next level dat shuldn't b a barrier cus really u both need to understand each other and tolerate.Inrespective of whatever religion u both belong, to get along fine i feel u shuld just respect one another.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by kufreabasi(m): 1:17pm On Mar 28, 2008
The bible says 'my people perish because of lack of knowledge.no religion will take you to heaven.but a good relationship changes attitude and manner cos human being is subject to change.i cannot change my lovely r/ship because of religious differences.[i][/i]
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by folly69(m): 1:19pm On Mar 28, 2008
thumbs up for u kufre u just said my mind smiley
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by shadeko(m): 1:56pm On Mar 28, 2008
uhmm
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by blackis(m): 2:00pm On Mar 28, 2008
It feels really good to love and be loved. However, some level of maturity and balance
should go hand in hand with the love so professed. This is so because whether we like
it or not, there will come a time when "that love" will be put to a test. It could be from
parents, siblings, relations, friends, co-workers, our cultures, principles, you name it!

For Zheroes, it is religion. And going from what he's shared with us, i don't think they
handled it badly. Mutual respect is key!!
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Busta(f): 2:05pm On Mar 28, 2008
shadeko:

Yes, because the scripture wantn't unaware when it made it comprehended that we should not be of the same yoke with the ubnbeliver. No matter how beautiful the relationship is at start. See, the bible made us to understand something that " there seemth a way right unto man but the end rthereof are ways of destruction. Shin your eyes, please be wise. love you all.

To me. . . u are condemning and judging other religion . . .u enva know, what if the other partner converts cos he or she really loves u . . u've just won or saved a soul right there.

folly69:

As for me i will not end the relationship over religiuos differences if u guys truly love each other as u say and want to move to de next level that shuldn't b a barrier cus really u both need to understand each other and tolerate.Inrespective of whatever religion u both belong, to get along fine i feel u shuld just respect one another.

kufreabasi:

The bible says 'my people perish because of lack of knowledge.no religion will take you to heaven.but a good relationship changes attitude and manner because human being is subject to change.i cannot change my lovely r/ship because of religious differences.[i][/i]

both of u said it all.

wateva happens to "love conquers all"
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by otokx(m): 2:13pm On Mar 28, 2008
Its not easy but the truth is indeed bitter; in essence you took the right decision.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by funmeme(f): 2:19pm On Mar 28, 2008
y wont i end it?

infact this issue is refering to me right now cos i just ended a relationship yesterday because of religious reasons.although we love each other but i can't just imagine getting married and be asked 2 bcome a m, so! the earlier the better.

we are still suffering the pain but  its better i quit now than to endure and regret in it future.

i will never try to go into a relationship that does not carry my religion along again cos i now know the pain dat comes after it if one has to quit.

thats a lesson for us all pls lets chek it before we start it in oder not to regret it.

wish us all great thing in life.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by uchetobi(f): 2:29pm On Mar 28, 2008
I’l end it, people tend to ski over these issues, say it doesn’t matter, when they get married they find out that it does, marriage is serious business, the most trivial things matter
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by dee02(m): 2:38pm On Mar 28, 2008
What is the point of going into a relationship when you know religion differences could be a problem in the first place?!

Everyone should be entitled to their opinion on this because it is very complex especially when true love is involved,

The problems with Nigerians is just lack of tolerance, rubbish archaic beliefs, family interference and stupid sentiments!

Same religion relationship doesnt gaurantee any smooth sailing believe me ya'all,

Bottom line is, if you love someone and it is mutual, then go all d way and work it out,

has anyone ever wondered why inter-religious relationships/marriages of Nigerians living abroad work better than the one's in Nigeria? SLEEP OVA IT

I PERSONALLY WONT END A RELATIONSHIP DUE TO RELIGIOUS DIFFERENCES BECAUSE WHEN IT IS BEAUTIFUL IT MEANS WE AGREE ON ALL FRONTS!
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Busta(f): 2:52pm On Mar 28, 2008
dee02:

What is the point of going into a relationship when you know religion differences could be a problem in the first place?!

Everyone should be entitled to their opinion on this because it is very complex especially when true love is involved,

The problems with Nigerians is just lack of tolerance, rubbish archaic beliefs, family interference and stupid sentiments!

Same religion relationship doesnt gaurantee any smooth sailing believe me ya'all,

Bottom line is, if you love someone and it is mutual, then go all d way and work it out,

has anyone ever wondered why inter-religious relationships/marriages of Nigerians living abroad work better than the one's in Nigeria? SLEEP OVA IT

I PERSONALLY WONT END A RELATIONSHIP DUE TO RELIGIOUS DIFFERENCES BECAUSE WHEN IT IS BEAUTIFUL IT MEANS WE AGREE ON ALL FRONTS!

Very well said!

Tolerance and Ignorance!!
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by oluwdashmi(f): 2:59pm On Mar 28, 2008
I won't even go into any relationship that does not conform with my belief. That should be one of your priorities.

I can't even fall in love if his religion is different from mine, LOVE is CONDITIONAL you know. I won't sell my eternity.

Before going into any relationship, there should be some qualities or other things including religion that should be considered in order for the relationship to yield the fruit you foresee.

There must be conformity between you two, expecially in DOCTRINES and BELIEFS. It is only behaviour that should be given a trial.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by spicy007(f): 3:03pm On Mar 28, 2008
whether we like it or not, religion is a major issue. it is the most sensitive issue, followed closely by race and then gender.

as for me, i wont even go into a r/ship like that in the first place, some religions just dont click, even though we all profess to worshipping the same God.

imagine if i, a christian, were to marry a buddhist or hari krishna, and i love the guy but dont want to join his religion, much as i hate to admit it, i wouldnt like it if my kids were to prefer their dad's religion or worse, incline towards atheism, lailai, i no go gree ooo.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by nightnurse(f): 3:27pm On Mar 28, 2008
its all a personal thing, if you know you are ok with your partner's religious belief no problem but if otherwise, better discontinue the relationship since u know u can't handle it.

Personally, i won't be confortable with it so I'll terminate the r/ship unless he agrees to go with me lipsrsealed
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by dee02(m): 3:36pm On Mar 28, 2008
common sense should prevail
why are some adults foolish?!
why go into a relationship without thinking of the differences in the first place and then only to start causing heartbreaks by ending it,
fu*king hell i have had enough of this shit, DONT GO INTO A RELATIONSHIP IF YOU CANT TOLERATE THE DIFFERENCES, even if it means waiting till thy kingdom come to find a RELATIONSHIP WITH A RELIGIOUS INDIFFERENCE!

I hate threads like this, we stick our hands in fire when we know it may hurt!! smiley
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Mar 28, 2008
I left a very good man, one of the best men to ever walk this earth because of religious differences. My dear, if you ask for my oppinoin now, i will say religion is all politics. I have now refused to believe any person or instruction that says i have to hate someone else because he does not have the same believe as i.
Religion instead of being an instrument of love and peace has turned to be a grooming institution for hate, segregation, and oppression. I want to believe we are all created in Gods image and he loves us all, I will not beleive any religion that makes me think contrary
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by gilgee(m): 3:54pm On Mar 28, 2008
Hello no!
Stick to your religion and I'll stick to mine if we can't comprise giving up either of ours.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Busta(f): 3:57pm On Mar 28, 2008
aisha2:

I left a very good man, one of the best men to ever walk this earth because of religious differences. My dear, if you ask for my oppinoin now, i will say religion is all politics. I have now refused to believe any person or instruction that says i have to hate someone else because he does not have the same believe as i. Religion instead of being an instrument of love and peace has turned to be a grooming institution for hate, segregation, and oppression. I want to believe we are all created in Gods image and he loves us all, I will not beleive any religion that makes me think contrary

Hi Aisha,
ma sentiments exactly.

Then again, Naija Mentalilty
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by bluehorizo(m): 4:10pm On Mar 28, 2008
Religion is politcs, hyprocricy and fanaticism. Some claims they are christians. Some claims they are moslems and some claims they are rastafarians. All of us are one. We are all one people. Why should a moslem man be fighting a christian man? Why should Yoruba be fighting Hausa? Why should the Ijaw man fighting the Itshekiri? Why should the Irish man fighting the English man? Why should Palestine man should be fighting an Israeli? This is all common sense and i don't blame us because we have been brain washed and blind folded from generation to generation.

SAY NO TO RACISM AND LET'S UNITE AND BUILD THE WORLD!!!
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by frankiriri(m): 4:24pm On Mar 28, 2008
I think that even within the same religions people with different doctrines should not get married if it is going to be a deal breaker. Imagine a lady whose 'life is so deep ' marrying a brother whose house is on the rock. The lady would be seriously praying against the guy's curls. grin grin
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by uspry1(f): 4:33pm On Mar 28, 2008
For strong relationship between two people connect that is based on:

[list]
[li]Trust[/li]
[li]Spirituality[/li]
[li]4 Characters[/li]
[list]
[li]Humility[/li]
[li]Kindness[/li]
[li]Responsibility[/li]
[li]Happiness[/li]
[/list]

[li]Personal Hygiene[/li]
[li]Communication Skill[/li]
[li]Personal Habits[/li]
[li]Strong Connections[/li]
[list]
[li]Good Chemistry and Compatibility[/li]
[li]Shared Common Interest[/li]
[li]Shared Common Life Goal[/li]
[li]Deeper Emotional[/li]
[li]Sexual Compatibility[/li] (refer the knowledge of sexuality)
[li]Agreed Financial Obligations/Compromise Equally[/li]
[/list]
[/list]
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by bodsibobo(m): 4:34pm On Mar 28, 2008
@ zheroes

What's your religeous inclination?
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Sisikill: 4:34pm On Mar 28, 2008
No! No! and a Resounding NO!

I am a product of mixed religion

Mother - Christian
Father - M u s l i m

And it worked perfectly. . .both learnt to make accommodations for the other's religious beliefs. Not once. . .at least not that I've ever heard, did one tried to convert the other.

Sallah comes, All the children with mom and Dad are there to celebrate.
Easter Comes, All the children with mom and dad are there to celebrate.
Ramadan, my mother wakes up with my dad and whichever of us wants to fast to help prepare food.
Our naming ceremony was done in both Christian and M u s l i m rites. All of us have M u s l i m and Christian names.
A couple of my siblings go by their M u s l i m names and the rest go by their Christian names.
My father has entered into a church and thunder did not strike him down,
My mother has entered a mosque and the floor did not open up and swallow her.
Never once did they make us kids choose a side but as we grew older. . .we all sort of gravitated to which religion suited us.
Despite  the religious differences (and if you really look at it, aren't that different) they both believe in the fundamental beliefs of raising children who

A) Believe in God
B) Study & Obey His words
C) Treat others with kindness
D) Live a life acceptable in the eyes of God
E) Obey their parents
F) Don't murder
G) Commit Adultery
F) Don't Lie and Cheat
G) Are Tolerant of others

What more can you ask for? I can't imagine what life would be like if one of them had decided to give up because of religious differences. If two people from opposite religions can make it work. . .I fail to see the problem here.

1 Like

Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Sisikill: 4:39pm On Mar 28, 2008
kufreabasi:

No religion will take you to heaven.

God and A l l ah Bless you my brother.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Married Woman Dies During Intimacy With Married Lover / Rep Your State.. Which State Are You From? / Any Man That Collects Back His Gift From A Lady Is A Weak Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.