Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,291 members, 7,807,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:32 AM

Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? - Romance (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? (24578 Views)

Poll: Would You Terminate A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences?

Yes: 54% (60 votes)
No: 45% (50 votes)
This poll has ended

If You Propose And She Says 'No', Is The Relationship Over? / Relationship Over!!!!!!! / We Agreed To End A 3 Years Relationship Due To Religious Differences. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by redsun(m): 9:46am On Mar 29, 2008
I wonder if you guys know that inflatable dolls are making good partners this days.Relationship is about understanding between two people,not between extended families or religious groups.

It could be gay relationship,it could be straight,it could be inflatable and real,the key word is understanding that leads to a stable and happy life.

Christ was killed as a result of his defiance against traditions and religious dogmas,for the maslems,because of their militant nature i am not suprise if they refuse to blend with the real world,because they are schooled to reject and oppose simplicity and individual freedom.

Use your intuitions,that makes you a human.Some people just live and die without any kind of self-freedom,it is very sad,you don't know what you are missing if you can't think for yourself,it puts you in a baby like state all your life and that is exactly what most people are in africa,from top to bottom.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by oziomatv(m): 10:20am On Mar 29, 2008
Why should we complicate issues in the name of LOVE?
    One should choose someone that shears certain things in common with him/her and believe in what he/she believes.
Personally I hate religion, so there is no need for me to get my marriage life bored with someone that keep on quoting verses from the BIBLE/KORAN. I believe in God not in religious books and it's teaching.

If your relationship/marriage does not run on the same track, you're worst than a derailed train.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by somze(f): 10:51am On Mar 29, 2008
Wait . . . is this a religious issue or a church issue?

I couldn't go through all of the thread but seems to me that they're both Christians but go to different churches.

. . . Just made it to the 3rd or is it 2nd thread and noticed aisha2 unnecessarily attack David - disappointing from her.

. . . Oh just saw another one by Busta, this David guy is really lucky. With all the criticisms he gets for this very few sect it seems he'd be prepared to run for the White House in no time grin grin

. . . Almond just joined in too, now all hell can break lose.

Ah I'm tired, will read the rest later . . . if ever.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by pahtahkee: 1:05pm On Mar 29, 2008
Give your opinion to the issue raised.

If you got none, leave out how the discussants decide to engage themselves, and move on.

Period.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by somze(f): 3:12pm On Mar 29, 2008
And the above is your opinion to the issue raised?
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Gamine(f): 3:31pm On Mar 29, 2008
Abeg sir,

It could never have been beautiful

Its either you guys Fashi God or Fashi Your relationship

Cos its either one or the other.

I have seen the trouble this things cause

and i dont wish to see it with other people

You will find someone else.
End it now!
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by CrazyMan(m): 7:33pm On Mar 29, 2008
I can't date someone whose religion isn't the same with mine because I know that it would be a mere waste ot time.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by tjtj1(m): 7:45pm On Mar 29, 2008
well crazy kid, listen to this. i fell in love wit my gf before i found out she was muslim nd am christian. well things re movin smoothly for us nd her mom is accepting it slowly. its just a mtter of time before we all marry other religions
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Imani(f): 7:56pm On Mar 29, 2008
tj_tj:

well crazy kid, listen to this. i fell in love wit my girlfriend before i found out she was a great one nd am christian. well things re movin smoothly for us nd her mom is accepting it slowly. its just a mtter of time before we all marry other religions

No one says not to marry from other religions. I will support it only if there is an understanding and both parties are matured enough to handle the pressures that come with such an arrangement. The thing is you may not mind her practising her religion as the man, the question most people tend to ask is why is this not sometimes the case when the roles are reserved, that is when the man is a great one?

Refusing to date someone merely because of religion is what i fail to understand. You may eventually change to her religion or vice versa if the need arises, is this something you can do?
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by kobe(m): 8:05pm On Mar 29, 2008
This is subjective. I agree that refusal to date someone over religious differences in this day and age seems ignorant - unless of course both parties are deeply-rooted religionists who can't conjure up the idea of being involved with someone who treads a different path.

I guess the more important question here is: how will the difference in religion affect the relationship.
If they try it out and it has a noticeable negative impact on their relationship, then it would be best to digress from contuing the relationship.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Imani(f): 8:45pm On Mar 29, 2008
kobe:

This is subjective. I agree that refusal to date someone over religious differences in this day and age seems ignorant - unless of course both parties are deeply-rooted religionists who can't conjure up the idea of being involved with someone who treads a different path.

I guess the more important question here is: how will the difference in religion affect the relationship.
If they try it out and it has a noticeable negative impact on their relationship, then it would be best to digress from contuing the relationship.

I am not sure some nairalanders will understand all you have just said. lipsrsealed
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by TheSly: 10:17pm On Mar 29, 2008
Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences?
It depends on her parent!!
But for me. . . .anything that i have stamped has been automatically endorsed by God!! cool
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Mar 29, 2008
Hmmmh *rolls eyes* Now you remember God.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Ndipe(m): 10:30pm On Mar 29, 2008
Absolutely!. Unless she is willing to convert to Christianity.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by bawomolo(m): 11:48pm On Mar 29, 2008
Absolutely!. Unless she is willing to convert to Christianity.

this is usually what happens, one person has to conform to the other.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Nwaka77: 1:15am On Mar 30, 2008
I will not even start the relationship to begin with. Religious beliefs is no joke when it comes to marraige!
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by pahtahkee: 5:11pm On Mar 30, 2008
kobe:

My question is based on the highlighted portion of your posts.

So would you still call that being [i]ignorant[/i]as deduced from the 1st paragraph of your statement above?
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by zheroes(m): 5:12pm On Mar 30, 2008
kobe:

This is subjective. I agree that refusal to date someone over religious differences in this day and age seems ignorant.
its not ignorance but a wise course to take
kobe:

If they try it out and [b]it has a noticeable negative impact on their relationship
, then it would be best to digress from contuing the relationship.[/b]
i want to believe this sums it all. if you must give it a try which is not advisable, will there be any noticeable negative impact?
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by damola1: 5:57pm On Mar 30, 2008
Brings it back to Rule #3 which simply is:

3. If you like the person enough, date him/her, and see how it goes, during courtship, IF religion will be an issue, it'll come out.

so: will there be a will there any noticeable negative impact?

Is now dependent on the parties involved, how they are able to cope with the situation and manage it, let the courtship speak whether or not the relationship will go to the next level, but most importantly:

i. Do not intentionally make religion an issue, unless during courtship it becomes aparent it's an issue.

ii. Do not allow other people, which might include everyone + dad + mama + brothers and friends make decisions simply based on what they think.

At the back of your mind, the key to the success of the relationship will eventually be on how open you are to new ways, new ideas of doing things, which is goes back to the simple way of life, the same way you did business 10 years ago is not the same way you did business today and it won't be the same way you will do business in another 10 years, even though your basic principles over the years remain the same.

Overall, this topic simply boils down to a single point, how do you manage your relationship with people you have never been used to. Your success as a person in a relationship with people from other background, race, religion, language will eventually tell on how fast you step up in life.

How have you mixed with hausas, yorubas, fulanis, warris, how have you mixed with chinese , americans, how have you been able to analyse their ways of lives and adapt to changing times. Have you been open enough to accept them to become a part of your intimate life.

To me, this is where it all boils down to. CHANGE! ( with uncompromising basic principles )
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by SweetT1: 6:01pm On Mar 30, 2008
@Damola

You and this your religion issues sef. Why don't you tell us exactly what's going on. If your man is pressurizing you to be a Christian, why don't you give it a try. It might just be what the Imam ordered. Good luck.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by damola1: 6:06pm On Mar 30, 2008
Guy, first of , I am a man!

secondly, simply because I chose to defend another religion does not mean I am not a xtian.

You see, we miss great opportunities in life because of such silly issues like religion, age, race etc,  And thats why I have freely expressed what I know and think about this topic.

How ready are you to become a moslem if you get to have a moslem girl? ,  and must you change for the relationship to work, 

Must micheal jackson become white to be accepted by the white community, even though he did thriller ( all time best seller ) while he was black?

Think, and think about the big picture.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Mar 30, 2008
@ damola
Anyway religion might pose as one of those silly issues to you but I do not consider my faith as silly. Don't know if you are familiar with Joshua but he says as for me and my house we will serve the lord. Those words are of tantamount importance and I do not treat it as a trivial issue. You might have a different understanding of what the christian faith is all about but as for me I do not find myself losing out, all because I broke a relationship based on differences in what I believe in. I would like to train my children without confusion and thinking that all religions pray to one God, which I undeniably know is a very big lie. smiley
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by SweetT1: 6:36pm On Mar 30, 2008
@stillwater

amen to that. You can say that again. " as for me and my house we will always serve the good Lord". !
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by desodgi(m): 6:56pm On Mar 30, 2008
wouldnt start one, not to talk of ending wan. . . cheesy
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by rhamz: 7:51pm On Mar 30, 2008
I ave lost relationships dat i wld ave loved 2 ave becos of religion. i was 2old dat there is a bible verse dat exhorts christians not 2b even yoked with non christians.My Quran also advises me 2 connect wit a partner dat we are on d same spiritual level.Both relations advises dat one shd date one who u believe in a same God ,pray and worship d same way, read and ave same books sacred, ave d same holidays, same spiritual belief system.lookin at wars fought all over d world i see dat most of them are over religious issues and i wldnt want 2 experience a mini one in my house.As a muslim i can date or marry a non muslim but she must change.Most times dis change is unchangable and dis might drive someone crazy and someone might xperience pain, frustration and confusion.As a yoruba person my parent's extended family includes both muslims and christians and we all ave been living 2gether in peace and harmony because we knw d boundries, d best best is same religion relationship as it forms part of d equal compatibility
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by 4Him(m): 9:08pm On Mar 30, 2008
stillwater:

@ damola
Anyway religion might pose as one of those silly issues to you but I do not consider my faith as silly. Don't know if you are familiar with Joshua but he says as for me and my house we will serve the lord. Those words are of tantamount importance and I do not treat it as a trivial issue. You might have a different understanding of what the christian faith is all about but as for me I do not find myself losing out, all because I broke a relationship based on differences in what I believe in. I would like to train my children without confusion and thinking that all religions pray to one God, which I undeniably know is a very big lie. smiley

May God bless you.
I insist we think alike wink
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by damola1: 9:41pm On Mar 30, 2008
Listen, we are not all the same. In fact, there can never be another me, just like there can never be another you.

If my father (moslem) never agreed to get down with my mother(xtian) for the past 25yrs, there would't have been me.

2. The home is neither divided, in fact, it's based on the understanding of both religion that have made me who I am today.

The recent comments have only confirmed that a good number of people do not feel comfortable with the idea, and thats OK, very OK, but usually, most young guys and girls are casual when it comes to spirituality, therefore, I will advise these people who do not have a strong standing regarding the perspective of religion to simply allow their one on one relationship with people speak for them rather than allow religion.

Meanwhile, even those who have made a strong committment to their religious views need to look deeper, the deeper you look, the more you see that most of your religious views are based on politics created to enhance division. Look keenly, you will see that, God is love, and God is one. And God created each and every single living thing. It's all about perception. Once you see this, you will see it more in that girl or guy you so much care for.

I for one, having been brought up by an moslem with a sound foundation, learning the quoran and hadith and observing solat regularly, THEN a few years down the line became a xtian, followed christ, believed in the teachings, have come to conclude that no one is a master on religious matters, I hear what all them pastors say, however, as I am different from all, I make it function in my system the best way I see it deem fit.

Remember, 6 of the commandments of God has to do with your neighbor, and do not forget, do not get yourself into wahala just because you ASSUME someone is a good xtian or moslem sister.

Most people don't even follow the teachings of this religion anyway, they only try, and thats why 90%+ of boys and girls are no longer virgins before they get married, Or is it a lie?

Therefore, even when you say you wish to stick with people simply because of what their religion, do not forget it does not stop there, we are made of a lot of compositions, so many.

I hope someone will make defined decisions not only because of religion, but because of love, this word love has been so used recently that its value has depreciated in some quarters, when I say love, I mean genuine, true love, one to crosses the 7 seas and oceans.

Please do not toss away that lady or young man that you care for, because he might just be perfect for you, ( just like in the case of my parents)
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by babe1(f): 6:54am On Mar 31, 2008
I am catholic married to a muslim and we love each other to death. We have been married going on five years and i wouldn't do it any differently. Life is too short as long as you both believe in God, why mess it up. Leave it all to him.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by babe1(f): 6:58am On Mar 31, 2008
Oh one more thing, when you find the ONE, I mean when love hits you hard in the head and all over your body, you will not be told what to do. You will just know it. Some people do things out of pride and what friends and family will do or say but do it for you. Love conquers it all and God will guide you in the right path, He will never gibe you a cross too heavy for you to carry. Amen!
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Nobody: 8:58am On Mar 31, 2008
Somze, Abeg, oh, i No attack Anydoby oh, I no get power, just made my point and ran away for my sanity sake. I tire for all the religious talk without action.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Reverend(m): 9:07am On Mar 31, 2008
If you do, that would make you the worlds biggest fool undecided
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by zheroes(m): 9:15am On Mar 31, 2008
Reverend:

If you do, that would make you the worlds biggest fool undecided

do what Mr. reverend? terminate or carry on?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Before Getting Into A Serious Relationship: Questions To Ask Yourself / . / Liberian Asks For Prayers For Her Cousin Because She's About To Marry A Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.