Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,614 members, 7,770,634 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:18 PM

Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent (17507 Views)

2016 Budget Fails To Cover N41bn Hole In FG Retirees Pensions / Names Of Ministerial Nominees In The Second Batch / Akingbola Petitions Agf Over N41bn Fraud At Intercontinental ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Truckpusher(m): 8:56am On Mar 23, 2013
Abrantie: Simply because Nigerians love to show off. The average Nigerian is broke but would spend his last Naira on big suits or outfits, drinks and flex to impress.
That isn't a show-off ,i do it a lot and when someone asks me hey! but you said you are broke? i simply turn around under highness and tell them to forget abt tomorrow because i may never wake up grin grin
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Reference(m): 9:02am On Mar 23, 2013
Fifty-Fifty:
What do u xpect to happen in a country rule by an ever drunkard so-called president & his Ijaw advisers?

Broaden your thought process. Even in the deepest depths of communist Russia champagne flowed freely. Chairman Mao and the legendary Ho Chi Minh were known to indulge once a while. Whose boat are you on.
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Truckpusher(m): 9:11am On Mar 23, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Come on shut your rotten dirty mouth you nasty worthless idio.t typing gibberish.

I have LIVED and WORKED on THREE CONTINENTS for a total of 24 years, and I can SCHOOL YOU in every facet of life in the west. FACT is you simply have a slave mentality and inferiority complex otherwise there is absolutely nothing to criticise Nigerians about with regard to drinking alchohol. NOTHING. We don't drink anywhere as much as whites. Yet you insult us and praise whites.

You just think because they are Nigerians, you can insult them. That makes you a fool and a slave.

In terms of drinking, westerners are the world's most prolific consumers of champagne, wine, beer and cocktails. No rivals. The richer they are the more champagne, wine and cocktails they consume, and the more regularly too. Many do so at every meal. For a large section, heading down to the bar or pub after work is a ritual. If they were Nigerians you would jump up and attack them for being lecherous drunkards. But they are whites so it's ''oh it's their culture''. Nothing wrong there then. When a Nigerian drinks it's because he's a 'looter', or wants to do 'big boy' and 'pose'. When a white drinks, it's ok. Nothing to criticise. One rule for whites another for blacks.

Fact is you are a rotten-minded wan.ker and a self-loathing coconut (Uncle Tom) who needs to start seeing all races as EQUAL before posting any other further dumb cotton-picking slaveboy comments here. And the sooner we rid ourselves of slave mentality-ridden characters like you on this beautiful continent of ours the better for us all.

I wanted to reply the swine ,but you're just too much for the eediot to handle.....the one that surprises me most is the way they are easily mesmerized by their new found culture /country that they quickly turn around and curse and abuse their own people all to look refined and be accepted by their fellow uncle Toms and their slave masters in the west.

I don't waste my time trying to educate him and his kind ,but the ugly truth is that, you don't expect a man that is undergoing a subtle emotional torture in the hands of the whites not to be angry at himself,his people and even his culture hence they come in a Nigerian forum to rant like a rabid dog, vent their anger even when the topic in question doesn't call for that.

Finally i keep telling them to stay off from our forums we don't need them they don't need us too, let them enjoy their 4x4 cubicle they call home lemme enjoy my poverty infested country because we're still building our country and it shouldn't be long we'll get things right.....i have a name for them ,it's called FAIR WEATHER CITIZENS grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Docii001(m): 10:12am On Mar 23, 2013
cigar icon:
and you beleive that crap? oh lordamercy
i know there is poverty in Nigeria but 80%?

Why so naïve? Do you live in Nigeria at all? Do you know how many bottles a 'yahoo boy' would pop at an event? The son of a politician? The politician himself? Now what's the population of all this people? They make up only a small percentage of our total population. Ask yourself how many highbrow areas we have in lagos compared to the slums....and lagos is one of the few urban cities in Nigeria. When you start thinking of other cities in the country that can't even boast of a place like ikoyi or even magodo,then you would have a clearer picture of the 80% masses who can't afford more than 2dollars a day(the uneducated northerners,the people on minimum wage with 8 mouths to feed,the unemployed,students with poor parents,etc)
We complain about our leaders not knowing what we feel or where the shoe pinches,but here you are,completely unaware of the true state of your country#patriotism

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by RedLight1: 10:13am On Mar 23, 2013
Abrantie: Simply because Nigerians love to show off. The average Nigerian is broke but would spend his last Naira on big suits or outfits, drinks and flex to impress.
he's broke yet he has money to buy suits and drinks? Do u have brain at all?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nuzo1(m): 10:25am On Mar 23, 2013
Truckpusher: I wanted to reply the swine ,but you're just too much for the eediot to handle.....the one that surprises me most is the way they are easily mesmerized by their new found culture /country that they quickly turn around and curse and abuse their own people all to look refined and be accepted by their fellow uncle Toms and their slave masters in the west.

I don't waste my time trying to educate him and his kind ,but the ugly truth is that, you don't expect a man that is undergoing a subtle emotional torture in the hands of the whites not to be angry at himself,his people and even his culture hence they come in a Nigerian forum to rant like a rabid dog, vent their anger even when the topic in question doesn't call for that.

Finally i keep telling them to stay off from our forums we don't need them they don't need us too, let them enjoy their 4x4 cubicle they call home lemme enjoy my poverty infested country because we're still building our country and it shouldn't be long we'll get things right.....i have a name for them ,it's called FAIR WEATHER CITIZENS grin grin

This will be my first and last response to an online faceless rat like you.
Reason being that with a 3 pages essay you put up here, you could not evn use a single line to refute the claims in the report or my explanation to the report. Instead, you are here licking that dog's azzs and claiming to be king of Nigeria (albeit online).

Your master Rosiski made claim that most of us need to travel to see how westerners gulp champagne 7 days a week, and when I refuted the lies appropriately....you jumped to tell us how we've lived abroad for so long.

Its a pity that anybody who analyzes and proffer solution to the mess in the country automatically becomes unpatriotic, low IQ, diasporan and anti-Jonathan.

Before you begin to go an ego trip again, try to know where and how the debate and name calling started.

Jeez!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by RedLight1: 10:26am On Mar 23, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Come on shut your rotten dirty mouth you nasty worthless idio.t typing gibberish.

I have LIVED and WORKED on THREE CONTINENTS for a total of 24 years, and I can SCHOOL YOU in every facet of life in the west. FACT is you simply have a slave mentality and inferiority complex otherwise there is absolutely nothing to criticise Nigerians about with regard to drinking alchohol. NOTHING. We don't drink anywhere as much as whites. Yet you insult us and praise whites.

You just think because they are Nigerians, you can insult them. That makes you a fool and a slave.

In terms of drinking, westerners are the world's most prolific consumers of champagne, wine, beer and cocktails. No rivals. The richer they are the more champagne, wine and cocktails they consume, and the more regularly too. Many do so at every meal. For a large section, heading down to the bar or pub after work is a ritual. If they were Nigerians you would jump up and attack them for being lecherous drunkards. But they are whites so it's ''oh it's their culture''. Nothing wrong there then. When a Nigerian drinks it's because he's a 'looter', or wants to do 'big boy' and 'pose'. When a white drinks, it's ok. Nothing to criticise. One rule for whites another for blacks.

Fact is you are a rotten-minded wan.ker and a self-loathing coconut (Uncle Tom) who needs to start seeing all races as EQUAL before posting any other further dumb cotton-picking slaveboy comments here. And the sooner we rid ourselves of slave mentality-ridden characters like you on this beautiful continent of ours the better for us all.

5million likes
always gbadun ur posts

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by RedLight1: 10:39am On Mar 23, 2013
Nuzo':

A sad Nigerian thinking anybody who tells the truth about Nigeria is a slave like you or anti-Jonathan.

This thread is not about getting drunk, its about drinking for what purpose?

In Nigerian pubs and clubs, party goers are more concerned about being seen as big boys cos of the popping. Foolishly, all these popping and posing is for pros-tit-utes.
so nigerians that embraced alomo or cheap alcohols like shekpe are doing so to pose for prostitutes? A guy that celebrate with a bottle of hennesy and lots of beers whenever his team wins a game is doing it to showcase his talent to a prostitute? A guy that goes to bar to have one or two bottles of beer and pepper soup to calm his nerve is doing it to impress a prostitute? Anyone that drink champagne in nigeria do it to impress prostitute in ur mumu slave mind abi? U be real buzo omesuegbe... not nuzo
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by RedLight1: 10:52am On Mar 23, 2013
Nuzo':

Reason being that with a 3 pages essay you put up here, you could not evn use a single line to refute the claims in the report or my explanation to the report. Instead, you are here licking that dog's azzs and claiming to be king of Nigeria (albeit online).

Your master Rosiski made claim that most of us need to travel to see how westerners gulp champagne 7 days a week, and when I refuted the lies appropriately....you jumped to tell us how we've lived abroad for so long.

Its a pity that anybody who analyzes and proffer solution to the mess in the country automatically becomes unpatriotic, low IQ, diasporan and anti-Jonathan.

Before you begin to go an ego trip again, try to know where and how the debate and name calling started.

Jeez!
stop blabbing.. U not making any sense... Wait are u high on white shiit? Stop sniffing white shiit. undecided
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Godogwu: 10:56am On Mar 23, 2013
Nuzo':

Mumu boi, I said on the average.

Did you say your dad was popping champagaine for juveniles? First for his 10 year daughter? shocked And for you on your 18th birthday?

This is an indictment on your irresponsible dad and clear confirmation of the champagne report and my earlier submission.

And look, at 18yrs...you couldn't have partied in all those cities you mentioned except your dad is a corrupt Nigerian diplomat.

Faceless online lying swines!

Yes my Dad popped bottles of champagne at both my 18th birthday and my sister 10th birthday aswell. Now you insult my father cause he decides to drink and merry with friends, family and relations on his children's birthdays, or other celebratory events..... Smh

Nitwit!! This is why you can never have sense ... I'm not 18 at the moment, I was 18 two years ago.

I knew you were gonna say this, the whole corrupt Nigerian diplomat thingy. Well i really don't have to prove anything to you..... nahh G, you're too beneath me, and finally believe what you choose to believe, I can't really be bothered.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nobody: 10:57am On Mar 23, 2013
Godogwu:

Yes my Dad popped bottles of champagne at both my 18th birthday and my sister 10th birthday aswell. Now you insult my father cause he decides to drink and merry with friends, family and relations on his children's birthdays, or other celebratory events..... Smh

Nitwit!! This is why you can never have sense ... I'm not 18 at the moment, I was 18 two years ago.

I knew you were gonna say this, the whole corrupt Nigerian diplomat thingy. Well i really don't have to prove anything to you..... nahh G, you're too beneath me, and finally believe what you choose to believe, I can't really be bothered.
REALLY ? ANOTHER HUMAN IS BENEATH YOU ? YOU MUST BE IMMORTAL
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nobody: 10:58am On Mar 23, 2013
Nuzo':

You must be high on METH to think that I'm mad at folks like you who borrow money to pop chmpagne in pros-ti-tutes filled clubs. Its their choice and that has nothing to do with me. I was just stating the obvious according to the report.

If I have to be mad, it has to be when scumbags like you come to beg for money for fuel after blowing N500k worth of chanmpagne in a sitting on credit.
WHY YOU REALLY MAD SON ?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Godogwu: 11:00am On Mar 23, 2013
Nuzo':

Once a pig, always a PIG!

At 18 he's popping champagne worth over a $1k for a bottle in all those major cities of the world? On whose bill?
Even Paddy Adenuga didn't "achieve" such feat at 18.

So, just like you...its either his dad is one of those credit card scamming bastards or money laudering Nigerian diplomats.

Tell your corrupt folks to stop popping Rose' and crytal champagne with money meant for the up keep of our smelly and unkept embassies and consulates.

Scumbag!

I'm 20 though..... You can prolly go through my posts and find out the kinda person i am, not everyone is an unfulfilled nitwit like yourself..... Bye now
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Godogwu: 11:06am On Mar 23, 2013
Docii001:

Why so naïve? Do you live in Nigeria at all? Do you know how many bottles a 'yahoo boy' would pop at an event? The son of a politician? The politician himself? Now what's the population of all this people? They make up only a small percentage of our total population. Ask yourself how many highbrow areas we have in lagos compared to the slums....and lagos is one of the few urban cities in Nigeria. When you start thinking of other cities in the country that can't even boast of a place like ikoyi or even magodo,then you would have a clearer picture of the 80% masses who can't afford more than 2dollars a day(the uneducated northerners,the people on minimum wage with 8 mouths to feed,the unemployed,students with poor parents,etc)
We complain about our leaders not knowing what we feel or where the shoe pinches,but here you are,completely unaware of the true state of your country#patriotism

Complete and utter rubbish...... So its just politicians kids, politicians and yahoo boys who pop champagne yea?.... Like!!! Who the hell is this ignorant and illiterate human...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nuzo1(m): 11:06am On Mar 23, 2013
Red-Light:
so nigerians that embraced alomo or cheap alcohols like shekpe are doing so to pose for prostitutes? A guy that celebrate with a bottle of hennesy and lots of beers whenever his team wins a game is doing it to showcase his talent to a prostitute? A guy that goes to bar to have one or two bottles of beer and pepper soup to calm his nerve is doing it to impress a prostitute? Anyone that drink champagne in nigeria do it to impress prostitute in ur mumu slave mind abi? U be real buzo omesuegbe... not nuzo

Mugu boi!

We are discussing a report about high consumption of Champagne in Nigeria and why. It doesn't have anything to do with your Alomo, wisky or Shekpe.

And because you are so disconnected with the issues on ground, you will be ignored henceforth.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Godogwu: 11:10am On Mar 23, 2013
obadiah777: REALLY ? ANOTHER HUMAN IS BENEATH YOU ? YOU MUST BE IMMORTAL

Yea?
Chill... Do you expect me to batter words with such an individual? I really can't be bothered.

Finally I'm a human like yourself, just of a greater mindset than the unfortunate dude.
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Truckpusher(m): 11:15am On Mar 23, 2013
Nuzo':

Jeez!
I don't trade words with insignificant self hating Negros that lives on credit like you while wallowing in absolute poverty but continuously having this delusion of grandeur.. . .....i know how much damage that subtle emotional blackmail has done to ya all especially when reality knocks on your 4x4 cubicle you call home that's if you're not a jailbird wherever you're writing from.

Finally bro,sorry i wasn't responsible for your chaos go get a life and stop the hating,we all know we got some issues right here that needs to be addressed and in every little way we can? we make changes though somehow insignificant it would yield results in the future but for ya'll that keep cursing and try to put Nigeria down all the time all i can say is FUCCK YOU AND YA'LL MANBI.TCHES OUT THERE.....enjoy counting the skyscrapers and the good enabling environment your father couldn't build for you and the legacy you can hand down is to run away only to hurl stones and curses.......REMEMBER,THAT COUNTRY YA'LL CALL HOME WAS BUILT BY A PEOPLE,A GENERATION THAT PROBABLY NEVER ENJOYED THE FRUIT OF THEIR LABOR.THEY STAYED AND BUILT THEIR OWN COUNTRY THEY NEVER RAN AWAY LIKE YOU LOTS OUT THERE MAKING EMPTY NOISES grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nuzo1(m): 11:18am On Mar 23, 2013
Godogwu:

I'm 20 though..... You can prolly go through my posts and find out the kinda person i am, not everyone is an unfulfilled nitwit like yourself..... Bye now

I should have known you were a juvenile.
I mean popping champagne at the age of 18 eqautes to fulfilled life to you?

Go and get an eduction first you spoilt brat.

You dad should be arrested for feeding you and your underagedkid sister alcohol.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nobody: 11:38am On Mar 23, 2013
disboy:

Common sense will tell you that the remaining 20% are d ones spending such money on champagne.There is wealth in naija just that it is in d hands of few, i.e the pple we elect them,instead of them 2 use money on development, they lavish it on luxury.Nothing is wrong with d world bank statistics

Sure. 20% of Nigerians drink so much champagne that they've set a world record? That makes ZERO sense. First because you cannot assume that the '20%' ALL drink champagne regularly or that even most of them do. The number would be closer to 5% of that '20%'. Which means 1% of the country. And there is no way 1% of the country (1.6 million people) can set such global records. Therefore, it should be OBVIOUS that a much WIDER range of the population is able and willing to spend on luxury consumables than your phantom World Bank figures can account for.

This topic reminds me of Shoprite, when they were considering entering the Nigerian market a few years ago. They conducted research, surveys, and sent out questionnaires to Nigerians over the viability of establishing high end retail shops and malls in the country.

Most of the responses they received from Nigerians advised AGAINST the establishment of such facilities, on the basis that ''only the top few rich'' could afford to patronize them, hence they were unviable in Nigeria, where ''majority live on less than a dollar a day'' etc etc.

Shoprite IGNORED those comments and decided to forge ahead with establishing a presence in Nigeria. They set up two outlets.

The result? A resounding success to the point that they've now established about 10 outlets and have mapped out plans to establish 90 more retail outlets between now and 2020.

Truth was, far from it being something merely for the ''top 1% of looters'', it was found that MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS of ordinary Nigerians could afford to shop there, with many states now actively clamoring for Shoprite to establish in their respective states.

This is why I say we should IGNORE Nigerian opinions when about to start any business in this country. They will kill your idea before it's born with their cursed pessimism. Yet when you set it up they'll be the first to rush in there to buy. Just ask Shoprite.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by RedLight1: 11:54am On Mar 23, 2013
Nuzo':

Mugu boi!

We are discussing a report about high consumption of Champagne in Nigeria and why. It doesn't have anything to do with your Alomo, wisky or Shekpe.

And because you are so disconnected with the issues on ground, you will be ignored henceforth.
nope i only showed u how stupidd and ignorant u are. av already attended to the topic in my previous posts.... (Next time dnt sniff monkey butt b4 coming to nairaland, it's bad 4 ur half tiny mosquito brain)... This forum is for intellects and retarded nitwits with strong inferiority complex should stay away from polluting it with ur high level of stupidity ok?
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by butpro(m): 12:28pm On Mar 23, 2013
Well, the Europeans must sadtake back from the yahoo money and the loot of our politicians. SMH for my lifeless country.........
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by rusher14: 12:32pm On Mar 23, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Sure. 20% of Nigerians drink so much champagne that they've set a world record? That makes ZERO sense. First because you cannot assume that the '20%' ALL drink champagne regularly or that even most of them do. The number would be closer to 5% of that '20%'. Which means 1% of the country. And there is no way 1% of the country (1.6 million people) can set such global records. Therefore, it should be OBVIOUS that a much WIDER range of the population is able and willing to spend on luxury consumables than your phantom World Bank figures can account for.

This topic reminds me of Shoprite, when they were considering entering the Nigerian market a few years ago. They conducted research, surveys, and sent out questionnaires to Nigerians over the viability of establishing high end retail shops and malls in the country.

Most of the responses they received from Nigerians advised AGAINST the establishment of such facilities, on the basis that ''only the top few rich'' could afford to patronize them, hence they were unviable in Nigeria, where ''majority live on less than a dollar a day'' etc etc.

Shoprite IGNORED those comments and decided to forge ahead with establishing a presence in Nigeria. They set up two outlets.

The result? A resounding success to the point that they've now established about 10 outlets and have mapped out plans to establish 90 more retail outlets between now and 2020.

Truth was, far from it being something merely for the ''top 1% of looters'', it was found that MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS of ordinary Nigerians could afford to shop there, with many states now actively clamoring for Shoprite to establish in their respective states.

This is why I say we should IGNORE Nigerian opinions when about to start any business in this country. They will kill your idea before it's born with their cursed pessimism. Yet when you set it up they'll be the first to rush in there to buy. Just ask Shoprite.

So a company prior to investing carry out a survey and then go ahead and disregard it? (I guess that's why it called taking a punt).

Granted, Nigerians have acquired the taste of the bubbly i would only say that this is for a select few.

Believe me, poverty abounds in this country, marry that with few people that wouldn't even touch alcohol (for religious and personal reasons), and you find that the number of people drinking champagne are most likely repeat customers.

Air travel in Nigeria for 2010 published in 2012: a little above 1.5 million (domestic & international).

Source: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/air-transport-passengers-carried-wb-data.html

2007 figures for number of cars per capita places Nigeria as the 141st with 31 cars for every thousand people

source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_vehicles_per_capita

These figures can be adjusted upwards if one desires but it would be unfair to double them.

I know someone says our GDP is 400 billion Dollars but everywhere i check i see it in the region of 250 billion Dollars. yet, even if we do say it is 400 billion dollars that translates to 2484 dollars for the entire year per capita.

Everyone knows that wealth is not evenly distributed which makes the figure even more pathetic if you were at the bottom of that scale.

This all means that this drinking is done by just a few who one might say do it regularly.

If we truly want to be great we should be an export nation not an import dependent one.

We can go ahead and say it is a sign of wealth to indulge in high-end, luxury products but the irony is not lost on the masses.
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by djon78(m): 12:42pm On Mar 23, 2013
Ahhh black man, you get high statistics only on the wrong things, spending that much only on champagne is a big indictment on a country were majority are below the poverty line. The same way the other day there was news that after US and China, Nigeria is the third highest demand for private jet. When we hear all this news we deceive ourselves thinking all is well but all is not well, what is fueling Ngerias income is oil and nothing else,it has not bothered Nigeria's thieving elites to diversify rather they are spending our resources buying private jets, champagne, shoping spree in london, new york etc. Soon the bubble will burst.

All other countries that sell oil like us are busy developing their countries with latest state of the art infrastructure while we lack even basic ones, countries like Saudi, UAE, Qatar that sell oil like us have over 1 trillion dollars sovering wealth fund stashed away, while Nigera cannot maintain ordinary foreign reserve. No wahala, they should continue excessive wastage but. I know that he who has failed to plan has planned to fail.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nobody: 12:58pm On Mar 23, 2013
rusher14:

So a company prior to investing carry out a survey and then go ahead and disregard it? (I guess that's why it called taking a punt).

They were right to disregard it, as later developments showed. They were right in concluding that Nigerians do not know their country nearly as much as they think they do.

Granted, Nigerians have acquired the taste of the bubbly i would only say that this is for a select few.

Believe me, poverty abounds in this country, marry that with few people that wouldn't even touch alcohol (for religious and personal reasons), and you find that the number of people drinking champagne are most likely repeat customers.

Air travel in Nigeria for 2010 published in 2012: a little above 1.5 million (domestic & international).

Source: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/air-transport-passengers-carried-wb-data.html

What does air travel have to do with anything? Millions of Nigerians can afford air travel but simply choose to go by road. You think all those traders criss crossing the country daily cannot afford a flight ticket?

2007 figures for number of cars per capita places Nigeria as the 141st with 31 cars for every thousand people

source:

Those are 6 year old figures. Inapplicable. And India's figure is 18 per 1000. But I'm sure you won't come here making out that all Indians are starving.

I know someone says our GDP is 400 billion Dollars but everywhere i check i see it in the region of 250 billion Dollars. yet, even if we do say it is 400 billion dollars that translates to 2484 dollars for the entire year per capita.

When rebasing is done this year, GDP will be at its REAL level approaching $400 billion.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/04/25/uk-nigeria-gdp-reaction-idUKBRE83O0UY20120425

Everyone knows that wealth is not evenly distributed which makes the figure even more pathetic if you were at the bottom of that scale.

It is a LOT more widely distributed than you give the nation credit for. Ask Shoprite.

This all means that this drinking is done by just a few who one might say do it regularly.

Garbage. Very few Nigerians drink champagne ''regularly''. Certainly not enough to make the country set new records. If champagne drinking is on the increase it is because the size of the middle class is RISING. More Nigerians are entering the middle class. This was noted by Actis International, a UK based equity firm which noted that 10 million Nigerians had moved up to middle class status in the last 5 years. It is the rapidly growing number of Nigerians with disposable income that accounts for the rise in champagne consumption.
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nobody: 1:05pm On Mar 23, 2013
djon78: Ahhh black man, you get high statistics only on the wrong things, spending that much only on champagne is a big indictment on a country were majority are below the poverty line. The same way the other day there was news that after US and China, Nigeria is the third highest demand for private jet. When we hear all this news we deceive ourselves thinking all is well but all is not well, what is fueling Nigeria's income is oil and nothing else

You are WRONG. And you need to go and READ and LEARN before typing blatant inaccuracies. The growth in GDP is largely accounted for by the growth in the NON OIL SECTOR - Telecoms, banking, retail, construction, agriculture, and services to mention a few.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/non-oil-sector-drives-nigerias-gdp-growth-in-q4-cbn/

it has not bothered Nigeria's thieving elites

Please spare us your ''thieving elites'' GARBAGE. You need to get off your LAZY ASSS and join in the transformation of the country like your peers, instead of attributing all privately acquired wealth to ''thieving elites''. That is an ignorant and intellectually LAZY approach to the nation's development. Nigerians are setting up factories and businesses across the country that are making them rich through their own labour. Get with the program and stop being ignorant.

to diversify rather they are spending our resources buying private jets, champagne, shoping spree in london, new york etc. Soon the bubble will burst.

Those Nigerians shopping in London and New York are mostly ORDINARY PEOPLE LIKE YOU who have made it in their various fields of endeavour. You obviously have NOT made it so you cannot see how they succeeded without ''oil''. Go get some advice in business development, entrepreneurship, or perhaps get a masters degree and specialize in something, and maybe you can get to be like them. They are not spending 'YOUR' resources, but THEIRS which they worked and hustled for.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by djon78(m): 1:15pm On Mar 23, 2013
rusher14:

source:

These figures can be adjusted upwards if one desires but it would be unfair to double them.

If we truly want to be great we should be an export nation not an import dependent one.

We can go ahead and say it is a sign of wealth to indulge in high-end, luxury products but the irony is not lost on the masses.

Don't mind them, how can you a $250 billion economy compare yourself with US a $15 trillion economy or China a $3 trillion economy on purchase of private jet or compare yourself with European countres who are trillion dollar economies in purchase of champagnes and other luxury goods, it is madness or stupidity. We focus on the wrong things comparing ourselves with countries that are miles ahead of us, while we don't even have the basic things. They even laugh at our stupidty, they know our theving elites are stupid and fools because they will take the money which should be used for our development to foreign banks, buy expensive properties and other luxurious stuffs

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nobody: 1:18pm On Mar 23, 2013
djon78:
Don't mind them, how can you a $250 billion economy compare yourself with US a $15 trillion economy or China a $3 trillion economy on purchase of private jet or compare yourself with European countres who are trillion dollar economies in purchase of champagnes and other luxury goods, it is madness or stupidity. We focus on the wrong things comparing ourselves with countries that are miles ahead of us, while we don't even have the basic things. They even laugh at our stupidty, they know our theving elites are stupid and fools because they will take the money which should be used for our development to foreign banks, buy expensive properties and other luxurious stuffs

You need to rid yourself of the stupidity that says anyone living well in Nigeria is a thief or ''thieving elite''. That means any poor man on the street can equally look at you and call you a thief. Afterall you have the ability to type on the internet while he's still looking for his next meal. So that makes you a THIEF and a FOOL and a thoughtless spender on luxuries since you can use the money used to browse to feed some hungry people in your village. Abi na only you get mouth to insult people?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by rusher14: 2:07pm On Mar 23, 2013
ROSSIKE:

They were right to disregard it, as later developments showed. They were right in concluding that Nigerians do not know their country nearly as much as they think they do.

What does air travel have to do with anything? Millions of Nigerians can afford air travel but simply choose to go by road. You think all those traders criss crossing the country daily cannot afford a flight ticket?

Those are 6 year old figures. Inapplicable. And India's figure is 18 per 1000. But I'm sure you won't come here making out that all Indians are starving.

When rebasing is done this year, GDP will be at its REAL level approaching $400 billion.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/04/25/uk-nigeria-gdp-reaction-idUKBRE83O0UY20120425

It is a LOT more widely distributed than you give the nation credit for. Ask Shoprite.

Garbage. Very few Nigerians drink champagne ''regularly''. Certainly not enough to make the country set new records. If champagne drinking is on the increase it is because the size of the middle class is RISING. More Nigerians are entering the middle class. This was noted by Actis International, a UK based equity firm which noted that 10 million Nigerians had moved up to middle class status in the last 5 years. It is the rapidly growing number of Nigerians with disposable income that accounts for the rise in champagne consumption.

You are very correct.
Nigeria is a very wealthy country. In fact, we all can afford Rolls Royce cars but you know we are quite conservative so we choose not to.
Now back to the issue.
All my deductions were scientific so I would repeat even if we go by the 400 billion dollar estimate at a population of 161 million with at least a quarter of the population caught up in the maelstrom of Boko Haram, that amounts to 2484 dollars annually.

No matter how balanced the wealth may be distributed it means quite a few would be much below the figure.
I quote your source:
"This will probably mark a symbolic turnaround on the regional geo-political scene, but may not change much in terms of actual leadership in sub-Sahara Africa. South Africa will certainly remain the dominant entity in the Southern African region and, to a lesser extent, in parts of the COMESA zone."

"Nigeria is and will be the most influential member - but not undisputed leader - of ECOWAS."

"Yet Nigeria remains significantly underdeveloped in terms of basic infrastructure (electricity, roads, etc) and faces very high income inequality. Output per capita in Nigeria will continue to trail that of South Africa over the next decades."

Note the high income inequality.

Nigeria's population is 3 times that of S.A so that tells a different story in itself.

Concerning travel, we have fewer cars and fewer air travelers: you can make your deductions from that (note i am open to a marking up the statistics but doubling it would fool-hardy)

On the overall, the most important part of my analysis was the one you paid no heed to: we need to be export oriented and not import.

Champagne might be good for those that enjoy it and by all means if you've worked hard you can reward yourself every now and then but we must cannot use it's consumption as a measure of a rising middle-class.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by djon78(m): 2:14pm On Mar 23, 2013
ROSSIKE:

You are WRONG. And you need to go and READ and LEARN before typing blatant inaccuracies. The growth in GDP is largely accounted for by the growth in the NON OIL SECTOR - Telecoms, banking, retail, construction, agriculture, and services to mention a few.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/non-oil-sector-drives-nigerias-gdp-growth-in-q4-cbn/

Please spare us your ''thieving elites'' GARBAGE. You need to get off your LAZY ASSS and join in the transformation of the country like your peers, instead of attributing all privately acquired wealth to ''thieving elites''. That is an ignorant and intellectually LAZY approach to the nation's development. Nigerians are setting up factories and businesses across the country that are making them rich through their own labour. Get with the program and stop being ignorant.

Those Nigerians shopping in London and New York are mostly ORDINARY PEOPLE LIKE YOU who have made it in their various fields of endeavour. You obviously have NOT made it so you cannot see how they succeeded without ''oil''. Go get some advice in business development, entrepreneurship, or perhaps get a masters degree and specialize in something, and maybe you can get to be like them. They are not spending 'YOUR' resources, but THEIRS which they worked and hustled for.

Dude you must be buffon to think everybody is poor like you, go get a life cos I am not poor and not from a poor background, try and read my past post before to know me more. I have been priviledged in life, did my uni education abroad, infact there were 3 Ngerian govs kids where in the same school with me, even a close relation of the present vice president shared school apartment with me b4 everybody moved on, socialised with mimister and Abuja based kids in the course of my studies, now back in Nigeria running bussiness with high annual turn over, so dude am priviledged. But the truth be told we are focusing on the wrong things in naija, so much fake niggz abound here lving fake life.
And mind u was a bussiness major in college knows more about bussiness, entreprenurship than u and am not kidding, you are talking about the real economy but the source of majority income that this country is run is oil, why is the budget always done pegging it based on price of barrel of oil, foregn currency that cbn sells every week majority comes from oil majors operating in the country. What the federal and state government use to run is simply oil money shared by the FG, the banks you are talkng about during the soludo years when the oil price was high there was a boom in Nigerian banks but after the 2008 global financial oil fell and sanusi came how has Nigerian banks been doing, there have been mass retrenchment, and all this was because of oil. The truth is Nigeras economy is sustained smply by oil nothing more and unless we diversfy, we will have ourselves to blame.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by djon78(m): 2:14pm On Mar 23, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Dude you must be buffon to think everybody is poor like you, go get a life cos I am not poor and not from a poor background, try and read my past post before to know me more. I have been priviledged in life, did my uni education abroad, infact there were 3 Ngerian govs kids where in the same school with me, even a close relation of the present vice president shared school apartment with me b4 everybody moved on, socialised with mimister and Abuja based kids in the course of my studies, now back in Nigeria running bussiness with high annual turn over, so dude am priviledged. But the truth be told we are focusing on the wrong things in naija, so much fake niggz abound here lving fake life.
And mind u was a bussiness major in college knows more about bussiness, entreprenurship than u and am not kidding, you are talking about the real economy but the source of majority income that this country is run is oil, why is the budget always done pegging it based on price of barrel of oil, foregn currency that cbn sells every week majority comes from oil majors operating in the country. What the federal and state government use to run is simply oil money shared by the FG, the banks you are talkng about during the soludo years when the oil price was high there was a boom in Nigerian banks but after the 2008 global financial oil fell and sanusi came how has Nigerian banks been doing, there have been mass retrenchment, and all this was because of oil. The truth is Nigeras economy is sustained smply by oil nothing more and unless we diversfy, we will have ourselves to blame.
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by VolvoS60(m): 2:36pm On Mar 23, 2013
Rossikke,

You will get your just reward in due course.

You habitually curse out more evolved people than yourself on these boards simply because they have refused to sell their souls to whatever it is you sold yours to. Who do you think you are anyway?

You constantly put forward false statistics to justify your fraudulent and deceitful position on far too many issues concerning this country. I am still waiting for your rebuttal to my points on the last thread we met. Remember?

What are you defending here sir? High level consumption of imported luxury goods? undecided In your fevered mind this is an indicator of middle class growth that is worth highlighting? You really think you are doing yourself and your countrymen a favour? undecided

You habitually make some empty noise about transformation and wealth creation. Yet on this same NL, there have been several complaints about the ineptitude of the Corporate Affairs Commission and the many ways in which such MDAs stifle wealth creation by ordinary Nigerians. How come you never show up on such threads?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by rusher14: 2:41pm On Mar 23, 2013
VolvoS60:

Rossikke,

You will get your just reward in due course.

You habitually curse out more evolved people than yourself on these boards simply because they have refused to sell their souls to whatever it is you sold yours to. Who do you think you are anyway?

You constantly put forward false statistics to justify your fraudulent and deceitful position on far too many issues concerning this country. I am still waiting for your rebuttal to my points on the last thread we met. Remember?

What are you defending here sir? High level Consumption of imported luxury goods? In your fevered mind this is an indicator of middle class growth that is worth highlighting? You really think you are doing yourself and your countrymen a favour?

You habitually make some empty noise about transformation and wealth creation. Yet on this same NL, there have been several complaints about the ineptitude of the Corporate Affairs Commission and the many ways in which Nigerian MDAs stifle wealth creation by ordinary Nigerians. How come you never show up on such threads?

We are aware of certain personalities on this board. regardless, we would continue to state the truth because that's the only way to fix this boat.

Happy to know there are still a few like minds.

Cheers Volvo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Contestant For Ooni Stool In Alleged N400m Fraud, Forgery - Punch. / Nnamani Restates Support For Tinubu, Hosts Campaign Council Members / Leave Buhari Alone - Coalition Of Civil Society Groups Stage Protest In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.