Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,494 members, 7,770,224 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:45 AM

Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent (17503 Views)

2016 Budget Fails To Cover N41bn Hole In FG Retirees Pensions / Names Of Ministerial Nominees In The Second Batch / Akingbola Petitions Agf Over N41bn Fraud At Intercontinental ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Godogwu: 2:44pm On Mar 23, 2013
Nuzo':

I should have known you were a juvenile.
I mean popping champagne at the age of 18 eqautes to fulfilled life to you?

Go and get an eduction first you spoilt brat.

You dad should be arrested for feeding you and your underagedkid sister alcohol.

My sister wasn't given alcohol though, you keep coming up with so much nonsense. I was 18, let me remind you that the legal drinking age in Nigeria and most parts of the world is 18.
LOL.... You're actually trying so hard to make sense but to me..... Well, I don't know when partying with friends and popping champagne became a sign of juvenile delinquency nevertheless I'll just state it here, I am a B+ student of mechanical engineering at the Uni i go to,I'm also in my sophomore year and my current GPA is 3.63/4.

You should learn to stop generalizing though, it really makes whatever point you try to put across Null and I'm pretty sure if you had stuck to your books like I'm doing at the moment rather than generalize and form "mr know it all" you'll probably be living a better life.

Yea, there's actually more to life than alcohol and partying, its really not that serious to me... It's just one of those things me and my guys do for fun, but we still have our goals in life aii... You should understand now smiley
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nuzo1(m): 2:51pm On Mar 23, 2013
Juvenile. *shakes head*

Please, eduction first.
With that, you may understand the point I and others like Rusher and Volvo are making.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by VolvoS60(m): 3:04pm On Mar 23, 2013
rusher14:

We are aware of certain personalities on this board. regardless, we would continue to state the truth because that's the only way to fix this boat.

Happy to know there are still a few like minds.

Cheers Volvo.
^

^^^^Keep up the good work sir. What is really sad is the number of posters who support his position. The French, the Americans and the South Africans can afford to quaff large amounts of champagne. After all, they MAKE the stuff. Where do we Nigerians get off boasting about "records" such as this one? What are our value added exports that can compete with the best the world has to offer? And if we have none, what are we doing to improve?

These are the issues.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Godogwu: 3:06pm On Mar 23, 2013
Nuzo':
Juvenile. *shakes head*

Please, eduction first.
With that, you may understand the point I and others like Rusher and Volvo are making.

You might as well just have quoted me.... Or are you trying to shy away man?.... Nevertheless, i rather here something else than the utter rubbish you guys are spitting.

For most of you, Nigeria's economy never grows; even when there are facts and stats, you'll probably be like " how does this affect the common man and shi" but when its blatantly bad gist, its all so true! No?

Nahh bro, I'm done with you guys, most of you just live in your own world where you see EVERYTHING wrong with Nigeria and everyone progressing in the country as a "thieving elite"... Like!! I really don't get that till now.

Juvenile?? Dude.... You can do better aii, you'll be alright smiley
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nobody: 3:44pm On Mar 23, 2013
rusher14: On the overall, the most important part of my analysis was the one you paid no heed to: we need to be export oriented and not import.

Champagne might be good for those that enjoy it and by all means if you've worked hard you can reward yourself every now and then but we must cannot use it's consumption as a measure of a rising middle-class.

You are looking at it the wrong way my friend. The people like to consume champagne when they have more disposable income. It's greater consumption IS a sign of an expanding middle class whether or not you like it. Your idea? Drink less champagne because it is imported. Wrong idea.

The idea is that You as a budding entrepreneur should SET UP YOUR OWN local champagne production industry to cater for the DEMAND. Simple.

This was what INNOSON Motors did. They didn't say 'ban the import of vehicles'. The simply INDIGENIZED THE PRODUCTION OF VEHICLES to meet with demand. And they're making headway.

So if you know that rich Nigerians like a certain thing, don't go MOANING and COMPLAINING that they're ''addicted to imports''. PRODUCE those things here, and ensure they're QUALITY and WELL-PRICED and you'll help to end the trend of importation.

And before you start moaning about ''infrastructure'', ''light'', ''no light'', and other excuses, just remember that if one man (INNOSON), can establish a full fledged auto manufacturing plant in this same country with ''no infrastructure'' and ''no light'', without knowing anyone in government, and without govt assistance, SO ALSO CAN YOU start up a production business here that can compete and make money.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nobody: 3:52pm On Mar 23, 2013
Godogwu:

You might as well just have quoted me.... Or are you trying to shy away man?.... Nevertheless, i rather here something else than the utter rubbish you guys are spitting.

For most of you, Nigeria's economy never grows; even when there are facts and stats, you'll probably be like " how does this affect the common man and shi" but when its blatantly bad gist, its all so true! No?

Nahh bro, I'm done with you guys, most of you just live in your own world where you see EVERYTHING wrong with Nigeria and everyone progressing in the country as a "thieving elite"... Like!! I really don't get that till now.

Juvenile?? Dude.... You can do better aii, you'll be alright smiley
Tell dem bro, if they have problems with good news, they should grab a kitchen knife and put themselves outta their miserys angry
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by rusher14: 4:00pm On Mar 23, 2013
ROSSIKE:

You are looking at it the wrong way my friend. The people like to consume champagne when they have more disposable income. It's greater consumption IS a sign of an expanding middle class whether or not you like it. Your idea? Drink less champagne because it is imported. Wrong idea.

The idea is that You as a budding entrepreneur should SET UP YOUR OWN local champagne production industry to cater for the DEMAND. Simple.

This was what INNOSON Motors did. They didn't say 'ban the import of vehicles'. The simply INDIGENIZED THE PRODUCTION OF VEHICLES to meet with demand. And they're making headway.

So if you know that rich Nigerians like a certain thing, don't go MOANING and COMPLAINING that they're ''addicted to imports''. PRODUCE those things here, and ensure they're QUALITY and WELL-PRICED and you'll help to end the trend of importation.

At the end we both know the solution but i guess you find it hard to admit.
We can never make champagne because grapes don't grow in Nigeria but we can find an alternative (shekpe anyone?)
No one asked for a ban: don't remember anyone asking for that.
Anyway, it's pointless this argument except for banter.
You know what's right.
so keep soldiering on.
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nobody: 5:38pm On Mar 23, 2013
rusher14:
At the end we both know the solution but i guess you find it hard to admit.
We can never make champagne because grapes don't grow in Nigeria but we can find an alternative (shekpe anyone?)

Can you see what I'm saying? Instead of one of us to busy ourselves looking for a way to circumvent that hurdle, perhaps by developing a new fertilizer variant, to enable grape cultivation, you're here saying ''it cannot be done''! I bet if you research it seriously, there's a way you can grow grapes in this Nigeria! Quote me on that! Do you know they grow grapes in Tanzania, Brazil, India. Even Saudi Arabia (desert)?
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by obowunmi(m): 5:44pm On Mar 23, 2013
CFCfan:

This 25 year old girl is definitely 'hammering'! She spends $7500 just for 2 weeks of shopping; that amount is more than the monthly wages of about 95% of American residents. Overall, she spends the equivalent of $45,000 per year on shopping at high-end stores! shocked

Ashawo too na work.
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by VolvoS60(m): 5:57pm On Mar 23, 2013
ROSSIKE:

And before you start moaning about ''infrastructure'', ''light'', ''no light'', and other excuses, just remember that if one man (INNOSON), can establish a full fledged auto manufacturing plant in this same country with ''no infrastructure'' and ''no light'', without knowing anyone in government, and without govt assistance, SO ALSO CAN YOU start up a production business here that can compete and make money.

^^^^
A disingenous arguement. The most relevant indicators (in modern economies) of an expanding middle class are rising home ownership (be it through mortgages or outright purchase) and motor vehicle ownership. There isn't even full agreement on the usefulness of car ownership as an indicator of middle class expansion - it is simply ludicrous to suggest champagne consumption as a useful or relevant alternative indicator.

In yet another display of demagoguery you have tried to frame the arguement as one of indolent internet commentators versus hardworking, real world industrialists. This is falsehood sir. The Innoson story is celebrated, and rightly so. What sensible Nigerians will not and should not celebrate is some dubious record of distinction in luxury goods consumption. There is a world of difference between motor vehicles (which could be grouped as capital goods or consumer goods) and luxury consumables.

We are not children sir.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nobody: 6:09pm On Mar 23, 2013
VolvoS60:

^^^^
A disingenous arguement. The most relevant indicators (in modern economies) of an expanding middle class are rising homewonership (be it through mortgages or outright purchase) and motor vehicle ownership. There isn't even full agreement on the usefulness of car ownership as an indicator of middle class expansion - to put forward champagne consumption as an useful or relevant indicator is ludicrous.

In yet another display of demagoguery you have tried to frame the arguement as one of indolent internet commentators versus hardworking, real world industrialists. This is falsehood sir. The Innoson story is celebrated, and rightly so. What sensible Nigerians will not celebrate is some dubious record of distinction in luxury goods consumption. There is a world of difference between motor vehicles (which could be grouped as capital goods or consumer goods) and luxury consumables.

We are not children.

You do nothing here but display your abhorrence for expensive alchohol. You're displaying your economic illiteracy by equating such distaste with reasoned contribution.

FACT is economic booms and an expanding middle class occur simultaneously with increased expenditure on luxury items. That's a fact of economics as old as the hills and easily researchable in these days of Google. Champagne, like perfume, trips to KFC, Mr Biggs, London, and 4x4s are all experiencing a RISE in demand and patronage. This is why you see fast food shops and shopping malls springing up all over the place. Sales of electronics and other home appliances are booming, as any trader will tell you. Why? The number of people with disposable income has increased by millions. THAT is what accounts for the rise in champagne consumption and NOT because the ''tiny one percent'' of ''thieves'' has suddenly began drinking more champagne (beer parlour analysis).

Oh, and car ownership is seeing an astonishing rise year on year too - another sign of an expanding middle class.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nigeria-s-vehicle-importation-increases-by-45-/105163/

https://www.prbuzz.com/business-entrepreneur/96593-new-market-research-report-nigeria-autos-report-q1-2013.html
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by merengue: 6:35pm On Mar 23, 2013
Godogwu:

Well true.... I absolutely agree with you but I'd like to add that a majority of the "well employed" youths (i.e engineers, accountants, IT technicians etc) whose thoughts are like "I have a good job, live in a nice apt, drive a nice sedan, have no kids/ responsibility so I'll spoil my self a whole"... These people can actually afford most if not all of these drinks. Like! It's youth, its fun, I'm not disregarding the fact that some people's yearly income can't get them 2 bottles of crystal or Ace, but hey that's life..... Everyone can't really enjoy thesame thing and yes I always try to put across my points in a mild and mature manner, if you take it offensive, I'm sorry.... But I can't really be bothered.

Calm down son, take a deep breath and read through your posts before typing, I did not take offense, was just pleasantly surprised.

Back to topic; ROSSIKE is actually quite right, the majority of people drinking champagne are actually the middle class; case in point the mid level civil servant who throws a birthday party for his/her kid and pops some bottles.. Nigeria is in a bad state, no doubt but some sectors are experiencing growth e.g entertainment (not Nollywood), telecoms and so on so its not too far fetched to think that people in such sectors can afford to buy champagne. One thing you guys should understand is that champagne represents a certain lifestyle that everyone aspires to & purchase of these wines gives the buyer a sense of pride that he/she has arrived in that class (no matter how fleeting the feeling may be).
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nobody: 6:47pm On Mar 23, 2013
obowunmi:

Ashawo too na work.

Wrong. The article says she owns her own shop.
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by VolvoS60(m): 8:10pm On Mar 23, 2013
ROSSIKE:

You do nothing here but display your abhorrence for expensive alchohol. You're displaying your economic illiteracy by equating such distaste with reasoned contribution.

FACT is economic booms and an expanding middle class occur simultaneously with increased expenditure on luxury items. That's a fact of economics as old as the hills and easily researchable in these days of Google. Champagne, like perfume, trips to KFC, Mr Biggs, London, and 4x4s are all experiencing a RISE in demand and patronage. This is why you see fast food shops and shopping malls springing up all over the place. Sales of electronics and other home appliances are booming, as any trader will tell you. Why? The number of people with disposable income has increased by millions. THAT is what accounts for the rise in champagne consumption and NOT because the ''tiny one percent'' of ''thieves'' has suddenly began drinking more champagne (beer parlour analysis).

Oh, and car ownership is seeing an astonishing rise year on year too - another sign of an expanding middle class.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nigeria-s-vehicle-importation-increases-by-45-/105163/

^^^^^
Well run economies impose the highest taxes on luxury consumables. There are very good reasons for doing so.

With that key point in mind, it is sheer insanity for a 3rd world economy to spend heavily not just on luxury goods, but IMPORTED luxury goods. How on earth can this be explained or defended?

Your point about rising demand for luxury goods (Champagne, perfume, 4x4s etc) as some inevitable stage of the growth process is a fallacy. Sensible economic managers recognise that a consumer boom based on imported luxury consumables IS NO BOOM AT ALL. How can we even be arguing about this?

You constantly cite the boom in shopping malls, electronics goods sales and quick service restaurants as evidence of growth in the middle class. I ask you again - a growth boom fuelled by imported consumables??

You will have to make up your mind rossikke. In one breath you rail against the hegemony of western industrial economies and the devious activites of multilaterals in retarding the growth of 3rd world countries. In another breath you use their (sometimes) deeply flawed indices of economic progress to support your falsehood that Nigeria's economy is developing properly. You constantly deride those who cite poverty levels in terms of "less than a dollar a day" statistics. And yet you cite visits to KFC as an index of middle class growth. How different are you then from the economists who use Big Mac consumption as an index of development?

You can't have it both ways sir.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by rusher14: 9:04pm On Mar 23, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Can you see what I'm saying? Instead of one of us to busy ourselves looking for a way to circumvent that hurdle, perhaps by developing a new fertilizer variant, to enable grape cultivation, you're here saying ''it cannot be done''! I bet if you research it seriously, there's a way you can grow grapes in this Nigeria! Quote me on that! Do you know they grow grapes in Tanzania, Brazil, India. Even Saudi Arabia (desert)?

I guess this might be too much for you to understand but you need a combination of climate conditions and soil physicochemical properties as found only in mediterranean-like climes.
We haven't even exploited the obvious opportunities that abound you ask me to grow grapes.
How many petrochemical companies exist in Nigeria and what do they produce?
You talk about spending time doing research into fertilizers that would allow for the growing of grapes because of the new fad that would die away in a few years.
Please speak with some restraint sometimes.
For what i do, i already bring in my own share of foreign exchange to this nation.
If you can, please research into fertilizers for grapes production if you are so optimistic about it's outcome.
come back to the forum when you get you Eureka moment.
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Eziachi: 10:13pm On Mar 23, 2013
sheyie2007: Good news for South african wine dealers
Champagne come only from one source ie Champagne region of France. Not every white wine bottle in shape of champagne bottle is a champagne, even if they come from other regions of France.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by rusher14: 10:22pm On Mar 23, 2013
Eziachi:
Champagne come only from one source ie Champagne region of France. Not every white wine bottle in shape of champagne bottle is a champagne, even if they come from other regions of France.

Thanks for that.

I even would like to extend the privilege to wines of all hues and flavors so long as they are made from grapes.

But trust how that would even be construed on NL.
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by emiye(m): 11:35pm On Mar 24, 2013
For those who claim that the middle class is growing, i agree with you, but the bottom of the pyramid class is growing faster than the middle class. Please do not let this concept eludes you.
If it continues that way, poverty rate grows higher annually. Poverty rate in Naija is over 70% , i am so sure of this, you can not be in your urban area and stay in your little haven, and truly understand Poverty and livelihood in nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Senators Level 14 Impeachable Offences Allegations Against Jonathan / Magnus Abe's Senatorial Liason-Office Burnt Down By Thugs (PICS) / Power Tussle Delays Budget Passage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.