Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,578 members, 7,801,659 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:40 PM

Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe (41590 Views)

Profile Of Prof. Danbatta - New NCC Chairman / Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! / HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by hardbody: 7:09pm On Mar 22, 2013
king cobra: AN ODE TO MY LITERARY HERO...... PROF. CHINUA ACHEBE. All copyright reserved.

THERE WAS A COUNTRY and in that country, there was A MAN OF THE PEOPLE. In the early hours of the 22nd of March, 2013, THE ARROW OF GOD pointed at him. If I had the least premonition that this would happen, I would have cried out to God, DON'T LET HIM DIE! Alas, THINGS FALL APART and the center cannot hold. We are NO LONGER AT EASE. Imagine that the great Achebe who has planned his CHRISTMAS IN BIAFRA this year is gone, just like that. THE TROUBLE WITH NIGERIA has gone viral. We only celebrate our heroes when they have gone. This is affecting both those at HOME AND EXILE. Even GIRLS ARE AT WAR too.
Even as we mourn this dead Lion, BEWARE SOUL BROTHER before the VULTURES come for you too. THE ANTHILLS OF THE SAVANNAH await the remains of one of the greatest legend of my days for man is but sand and must return to the ground.

Great write up, kudos. you captured all his write - ups, i guess. i have seen and read nearly all. Again, weldone

Bring the FLUTE, bring the DRUM! IT'S MORNING YET ON CREATION DAY. Let's announce the departure of this great man as he treads the DEAD MEN PATH. A legend is gone and so have all his HOPES AND IMPEDIMENTS. As we mourn, let there be CIVIL PEACE.

RIP, PROF..... God willing
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Realitynaira: 7:18pm On Mar 22, 2013
Where the Sun begins to shine on a man. That is his morning.
It is yet morning on creation day.
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by JoeMosco(m): 7:42pm On Mar 22, 2013
julioralph: "my son even if you want to fall, at least fall where your bones can be gathered" Ezeulu to his stubborn son Obika in 'Arrow of God' the best of his novels by my reckoning.
Because Oyinbo people like 'things fall apart' does not necessarily make it the best!
Things fall apart glorifies the White man's conquest of Africa... A pity that Nigerians never learnt the lessons but still enslave themselves but exporting stolen funds...... This time the Igbos will not fail to learn the lesson from his last book, "There was once a country"
we must stand up against the Violence of the North and the deception of the west
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Zonacom(m): 8:56pm On Mar 22, 2013
His novels, things fall apart especially, are packed with sweet proverbs and comic relief at intervals, and still historical and educative at thesame time. We are going to miss you papa. Just RIP
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by festusfeezy(m): 9:42pm On Mar 22, 2013
"writers do not give prescriptions but they give headaches" get me pondering wat it implies.
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Balkan(m): 10:24pm On Mar 22, 2013
China Achebe wrote things fall apart when he was 28yrs. Old. Is it possible for a 28yr old man to articulate and write such book in the present Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Kckelly: 11:41pm On Mar 22, 2013
Pa chinua achebe, a great man, a man with great wisdom, a geniues in the world of literature, a steadfast man who rejected corrupt award from the corrupt hands. You will be greatly missed by this generation and generation unborne. Sleep well papa
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by tomakint: 12:29am On Mar 23, 2013
Achebe has left behind a footprint that will stand the test of time cool

1 Like

Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by AndreUweh(m): 12:39am On Mar 23, 2013
tomakint: Achebe has left behind a footprint that will stand the test of time cool
Its true.
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Jaybloke: 1:41am On Mar 23, 2013
hurricaneChris: A man who rejected $1.5million dollars from Jackson Curtis aka "50Cent" when 50cent wanted to produce a film with the title...things fall apart.
This is what he replied 50cent's attorneys

" This book has been existing even before he (50Cent) was born"

50cent had to change d title of that film
Guy you too lie ....it was $1.5million....lie lie
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:54am On Mar 23, 2013
'When mother-cow is chewing grass its young ones watch its mouth'.

'A child's fingers are not scalded by a piece of hot yam which it's mother puts into its palm'.

'Living fire begets cold, impotent ash'.

When all the egwugwu had sat down and the sound of the many tiny bells and rattles on their bodies had subsided, Evil Forest addressed the two groups of people facing them.
"Uzowulu's body, I salute you," he said. Spirits always addressed humans as "bodies." Uzowulu bent down and touched the earth with his right hand as a sign of submission.
"Our father, my hand has touched the ground," he said.
"Uzowulu's body, do you know me?" asked the spirit.
"How can I know you, father? You are beyond our knowledge."
"..I am Evil Forest. I kill a man on the day his life is sweetest to him."

- Things Fall Apart

1 Like

Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by doingreat(m): 2:36am On Mar 23, 2013
i will not miss him. He'll always be with us, in pr[color=#006600][/color]int
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:10am On Mar 23, 2013
hurricaneChris:

“The impatient idealist says: 'Give me a place to stand and I shall move the earth.' But such a place does not exist. We all have to stand on the earth itself and go with her at her pace.”
― Chinua Achebe, No Longer at Ease

^^^correct word.

RIP Prof! U are were a rare gem!
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by klokwerx: 9:49am On Mar 23, 2013
agog: May God grant this icon an eternal repose. I love his "Things Fall Apart - the centre cannot hold and the falcon cannot hear the falconer" quotation so much.
We shouldn't turn his death into an ethnic frenzy as observed in the initial trend, but let us all as One Nigeria reflect on what has befallen us as a nation. This is a time of solemn reflection for us all.
May Almighty God make Nigeria great and may He touch the hearts of our leaders to live exemplary life of service to mankind like the late professor.

This is a William Butler Yeats quote from "The Second Coming"...

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Orikinla(m): 10:44am On Mar 23, 2013
[size=28pt]“If you don't like someone's story, write your own.”
― Chinua Achebe.

BEST ADVICE FOR MOST PEOPLE ON NAIRALAND. THEY CANNOT WRITE A SINGLE ORIGINAL POST, BUT THEY CAN DERAIL TOPICS WITH THEIR RE-TARDED COMMENTS. grin[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Papido(m): 3:52pm On Mar 23, 2013
''If the peni.s does not die young, it will eat bearded meat'' - Chinua Achebe

1 Like

Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by tpiadotcom: 5:18am On Apr 21, 2015
“If I hold her hand she says, ‘Don’t touch!’
If I hold her foot she says ‘Don’t touch!’
But when I hold her waist-beads she pretends not to know.”
― Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart

this saying has always puzzled me.

It feels like it has a different meaning besides what it looks like.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Militants Attack Lagos And Ogun Communities. Kill Eight Persons / "Happy Hour" Starts In Akwa Ibom State (Video) / Western Nigeria Development And News Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.