Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,886 members, 7,806,565 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:20 PM

J2ME App Selectively Working On Phones - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / J2ME App Selectively Working On Phones (1189 Views)

Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Removes Silent Mode On Phones: Report / Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? / A Java J2me Application Developed By A Nigerian U Need To Have(must) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

J2ME App Selectively Working On Phones by xcitedjay(m): 8:03pm On Mar 22, 2013
I'm currently working on a j2me app. The app encrypts(using DES) and sends username and password to a server which then decrypts and authenticates the supplied credentials. Tested it on a Nokia E63 and it worked well, but failed to work on some other phones that I tested it on like bold 5 and LG C199. I tried debugging and found out that the program fails at the point where it instantiates the class responsible for the encryption.

Does anyone know how I can work around this? Also is there anyway I can write a DES encryption without using the javax.crypto.Cipher class? Thanks in advance.
Re: J2ME App Selectively Working On Phones by Javanian: 9:02pm On Mar 22, 2013
xcitedjay: bold 5 and LG C199.

I never knew J2ME apps work on blackberry
Re: J2ME App Selectively Working On Phones by PrinceNN(m): 6:09am On Mar 23, 2013
D cipher class may not b present in the bb's jvm...
And Yea u can do it without the cipher class...just write the des algorithm from scratch...aint nobody got time for that...and also consider hashing approach instead
Re: J2ME App Selectively Working On Phones by Nobody: 7:02am On Mar 23, 2013
Blackberry has its own Cryptography API, am sure of that but not sure if you can mix J2ME and RIM codes together, look at the api
Re: J2ME App Selectively Working On Phones by javadoctor(m): 11:28am On Mar 23, 2013
U used a default midp profiling api which wrks fr nokia,please get the required midp api's fr ur hardware.
Re: J2ME App Selectively Working On Phones by xcitedjay(m): 4:19pm On Mar 23, 2013
I'm actually developing an app that would be compatible with a wide range of mobile phones currently in the market. It should also work on china phones too(as far as it supports java). Will develop for blackberry and android later on.

@Javanian Ofcos J2ME apps works on some blackberry devices, just that not all provide support for java

@Prince Writing from scratch is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. All the same Thanks Man!

@javadoctor I used MIDP 2.0 which is suppose to target a wide range of devices. Doing what you suggest would mean developing hardware specific apps. Not what I'm trying to achieve right now.
Re: J2ME App Selectively Working On Phones by xcitedjay(m): 11:04am On Mar 27, 2013
Well...I was able to solve my problem by replacing the standard Java Cryptography Encryption(JCE) class with bouncycastle lightweight API.

(1) (Reply)

Lets Solve Some Javascript Problems / I Need The Help Of Java Gurus In The House. Please Enter.... / Android Java Programmers, Please Help Me Look Into This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.