Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,482 members, 7,808,753 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:25 PM

All Nl Authors Pls Drop A Word Of Advice/ A Little Extra - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / All Nl Authors Pls Drop A Word Of Advice/ A Little Extra (823 Views)

Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab / Young Authors of Nigeria (YAN) -Join Now! / Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

All Nl Authors Pls Drop A Word Of Advice/ A Little Extra by bvc(m): 10:38pm On Mar 22, 2013
I've been in nl for years now, but not the writing section. I can spend hours in the business section, that's where my passion lies.

Now I think I have something to share, something that will serve a purpose in the business community. I need to write a book. I need all the help I can get to write that book.

I fear that what I'll write will be just a few pages, but I want something between 200 and 300 pages. Something moderate. Something that will pass as a motivational book.

For a new comer like me, I humbly asK for guidance from all the fantastic authors here. I read some of your blurbs and I shiver in fear.
-i need to know how to buttress a point
-i need to know how 2 generate more content under specific topics
-i need to learn how 2 organize my materials
-i need to learn how to present and deliver materials

Pls help me 1, help me all.
Thanks in anticipation
Re: All Nl Authors Pls Drop A Word Of Advice/ A Little Extra by repogirl(f): 3:29am On Mar 23, 2013
Well, I'm not a pro writer but somethings help me.
I do lots of research online when writing. Even for the most stupid things. When you do research, it helps you understand stuff better, even some thing you thought you knew well.
Also, when you write, the first person it should appeal to is you. If you are writing something in which you're cringing while reading it, anyone else reading it will do same.
Best to write what you know and u're comfortable with or you may get overwhelmed. Put in lots of real life experiences of your own or that you know of, keeps things interesting.
Also always get a second opinion, someone to read and critic your work.
That's what works for me. The first step is to have the pressing desire to write, which you have already, so just write.

My 2 cents.

2 Likes

Re: All Nl Authors Pls Drop A Word Of Advice/ A Little Extra by LarrySun(m): 10:07am On Mar 24, 2013
Firstly, write out your first draft, even if it's less than twenty pages. But the second draft will multiply. Trust me. And make extensive research. My first book,The Brand Of Cain, was just about twenty thousand words when I finished the first draft. The second draft jumped up to fifty-five and I was very glad. But the third and last draft gave me over a hundred thousand words. I know that may be less than three hundred pages, but it still counts for something.

However, the most important is not how much pages you've written but how much you've been convincing. Not how far, but how well.

Bless you.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

On A Journey To Europe. / What Is That One Word In The Dictionary You Hate So Badly. / The Calabar Fiasco

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.