Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,472 members, 7,808,702 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others (72763 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Igbo Or Ibo? / I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by macof(m): 7:35pm On Aug 17, 2014
Come on Kwame, stop the unnecessary insults.

We now know Angola-Congo slaves were most and also have great influence on Blacks in the new world due to their numbers but the Yoruba that don't have your kind of numbers have a Great influence too especially due to the late arrival

Anyway I see no reason to be happy here like you are, seems you wish the slavery was still on grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by NSNA: 12:55am On Aug 27, 2014
Interesting reads
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 7:45pm On Nov 24, 2014
NSNA:
Interesting reads
I believe yoruba culture is very popular in that area.I don't know what I was doing on my phone when my Bolivia friend told me he knows Bata drum,he called it bata

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Rossikk(m): 11:53pm On Nov 24, 2014
shymexx:
^^^I don't think it has anything to do with that... The last slaves to land on the shores of USA were part of the Igbo landing in Virginia, however that never changed anything there...

I personally think it has more to do with the level of spirituality and consciousness in Yoruba culture and how rich the language... Even places like: Haiti, Jamaica etc. that had few Yoruba slaves, the few slaves still left an impact on those country... I've met Jamaicans with Yoruba first names in the UK, especially those from the New Cross area where Yoruba slaves settled..

This isn't to say that one culture is more superior to the other - Yoruba culture is just deeper in the lives of most people of Yoruba descent - it's like an in-born thing... Heck, modern day Yorubas even Yorubanised Christianity into the white garment churches which were the first African churches we had in diaspora before the pentecostal churches came in the late 90s and early 20s... Most of us were born in white garment churches out here...

Very intelligent contribution. Sometimes I wonder if you're the same guy that yarns dust on some other threads. cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by tpia5: 1:16am On Nov 25, 2014
What's intelligent about his contribution?

The last documented slave ship to reach the USA was carrying a load of slaves who had been sold from dahomey region.
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by tpia5: 1:54am On Nov 25, 2014
As per churches, the first african pentecostal church in europe was established in 1906.

http://israelolofinjana./2012/05/06/the-first-african-pentecostal-church-in-europe-1906-present/

Shymexx kindly keep your hypocritical and scamming 419 mouth out of matters that don't concern your lost soul.
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 5:06pm On Nov 25, 2014
Hmm. 1906?

This book makes reference to African churches founded as early as 1891 by CMS members who broke away from the Anglican church. I'm not sure of the ethnic background of William Cole who founded the 1891 church; but it seems he was Yoruba Saro.

And of course there's the well-known African church established by Kehinde Coker and co in 1901.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=lcnwmxR2AcAC&pg=PA62&lpg=PA62&dq=first+indigenous+african+church+jacob+kehinde+coker&source=bl&ots=pQILrIAXZO&sig=K1cc1pAeQxuOZ6Wf0AlEE1mShlY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=DKh0VJotidbtBqfOgKgE&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=first%20indigenous%20african%20church%20jacob%20kehinde%20coker&f=false

6 Likes

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by tpia5: 5:14pm On Nov 25, 2014
^ that's fine.
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 9:53am On Feb 06, 2015
kwametut:
@Handof Chukwu
Let me LECTURE U ABOUT AFRICAN HISTORY FLAT HEAD. SA UNIVERSITY AREN'T RANKED IN TOP 10 IN AFRICA FOR NOTHING. Europeans looked down on Igbo slaves especially males as they were lazy,suicidal and dumb grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Kongo Kingdom supplied the largest number of Slaves to
USA=Angola-Congo 35%-40%, West Africa 55%-60% mainly Senegambia
Cuba=40% Angola-Congo
Haiti=Angola-Congo 50%
Brazil=Angola-Congo 70%and Suriname=Angola-Congo 40%
and other small Carribean islands Bahamas,Caricao,St Kitts,St Thomas.

In these areas/countries mentioned above they imported more ANGOLA-CONGO SLAVES than any other African region.FACT.

NOTE: Europeans liked Angola-Congolese for STAMINA and hardowrk hence they were mainly used for GANG LABOUR. While for HOUSE NEGRO work Europeans liked Senegambians.

ur whole post became worthless Wen u mentioned that igbos as lazy. the word lazy is synonymous with Yoruba people

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by jingh(f): 6:32pm On Feb 09, 2015
FXKing2012:
Because Yorubas used "juju"...
you deserve serious broom beating.
hediot

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by jingh(f): 6:39pm On Feb 09, 2015
tonychristopher:
hope the other aspect of yoruba culture was retain like dirtyness,back bitting, fetishness, infedelity and cowardice.... i hope the so call accross pacific ocean retain this.DOES THIS CHANGE THE PRICE OF CRUDE OIL IN THE MARKET PLACE...B.U.LL.SH.I.T.T
you need to be chained before you run mad fully.
tibalist dog

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Mhizkel(f): 6:40pm On Feb 09, 2015
Itx simply because we are unique! #ProudlyYoruba
smiley

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by adedayourt(m): 6:40pm On Feb 09, 2015
Because yourbas are too educated and organised to be swayed by a no mans culture.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by adedayourt(m): 6:42pm On Feb 09, 2015
Mhizkel:
smiley

Pwetty yoruba kiss kiss
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by jingh(f): 6:44pm On Feb 09, 2015
4chi:

See where envy and petty jealousy has driven you. You are no different from a rabid infested dog. Was it the fault of the yorubas that your fathers were primitive,naked wild living mongrels? Food gatherers and cave men? You wish you were Yoruba but since your chi has decided otherwise, learn to live with it.

Forget all the crap being spewed above,the Yoruba culture survived in the diaspora because IT IS THE MOST RESILIENT CULTURE FROM AFRICA AND IT'S SPIRITUALITY IS WORLD ACCLAIMED UP TILL TODAY. Yorubas don't owe anybody any apology for that after all, aji se bi oyo la nri, oyo o se bi baba enikankan .

Ask yourself which other African group has anything as deep as the ifa corpus coupled with impressive pantheon of gods which aremore than that of the Greek mythology. Yorubas have always been the initiator and not the immitators in matters of culture or why do you think the rest of Nigeria now tie gele, wear aso ebi and aso oke, adire, etc, etc other cultures will continue to imitate but you will never see a Yoruba man tie wrapper. Eewo Orishas!!

gurly pls can I be your friend in sickness and in health till death do us part
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Odunharry(m): 6:45pm On Feb 09, 2015
learning alot
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by OneDemola: 6:47pm On Feb 09, 2015
Abagworo:

Igbo, Yoruba and other recently formed identities are very much alive in South America. Maybe the thread was started by someone who is not aware that the Calabari/Carabali is very much active in South America even more than other groups. Calabari comprises mostly of Igbo, Efik/Ibibio and Ijaw who were known as one ethnic group then with the subgroups used as a suffix to explain the specific origin. K

A great diversity of peoples brought to the Americas from the Niger Delta and Cross River Basin were labeled by merchants as Carabalí, as Cuban historian Des- champs discovered: “The carabalí. The tribes brought to Cuba under this denomi- nation are innumerable . . . part of those [“carabalí’] who founded cabildos respond- ed to the following denominations: Abalo, Acocuá, Agro, Apapá, Bibí, Bogre, Bogre Isuama, Abate Singlava, Brícamo, Ecunaso, Ibo Induri, Isicuato, Isiegue, Isuama, Isuama Aballa Ocuite, Isuama Ibi, Isuama Isiegue, Isueche, Oquella, Ososo, OsosoEche, Ososo Omuma, Oxó, Ugri, Unigini, Aballa Otopa, Isuama Umofina, Isuama Osulerisna, Orú, Elugo, Orate, Bané, Yudusi.”13 Of this partial list of thirty-three ethnic denominations, only five survived into the twentieth century as components of the Abakuá society (Efí, Efó, Orú, Bibí, Suáma); today there are two main ethnic lineages: Efí and Efó, with Orú as an important third lineage.

Very interesting, please do you have more information.?
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by yemicoal(m): 6:47pm On Feb 09, 2015
Mhizkel:
smiley
wow, tot you were IBO all this while, your face n monicker all igboish. angry
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by spanzed(m): 6:51pm On Feb 09, 2015
During the Atlantic slave trade majority of people taken into slavery was the yorubas''and they were so ready to flow with the whites even after slave trade when the nationalist returned home to deliver us from the colonist majority of people who stayed back were the yorubas hence they tend to infuse their culture in the lifes of their slave masters...#proudly omo oduduwa....
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by DaBullIT(m): 6:52pm On Feb 09, 2015
Abagworo:

Igbo, Yoruba and other recently formed identities are very much alive in South America. Maybe the thread was started by someone who is not aware that the Calabari/Carabali is very much active in South America even more than other groups. Calabari comprises mostly of Igbo, Efik/Ibibio and Ijaw who were known as one ethnic group then with the subgroups used as a suffix to explain the specific origin.

A great diversity of peoples brought to the Americas from the Niger Delta and Cross River Basin were labeled by merchants as Carabalí, as Cuban historian Des- champs discovered: “The carabalí. The tribes brought to Cuba under this denomi- nation are innumerable . . . part of those [“carabalí’] who founded cabildos respond- ed to the following denominations: Abalo, Acocuá, Agro, Apapá, Bibí, Bogre, Bogre Isuama, Abate Singlava, Brícamo, Ecunaso, Ibo Induri, Isicuato, Isiegue, Isuama, Isuama Aballa Ocuite, Isuama Ibi, Isuama Isiegue, Isueche, Oquella, Ososo, OsosoEche, Ososo Omuma, Oxó, Ugri, Unigini, Aballa Otopa, Isuama Umofina, Isuama Osulerisna, Orú, Elugo, Orate, Bané, Yudusi.”13 Of this partial list of thirty-three ethnic denominations, only five survived into the twentieth century as components of the Abakuá society (Efí, Efó, Orú, Bibí, Suáma); today there are two main ethnic lineages: Efí and Efó, with Orú as an important third lineage.

Yoruba culture survived because its the most adorable , most ancient and widely acceptable concept , moreso , not everybody made it to Africa during the long migration and settlement, Bottom Line , Yoruba is the tribe to be , smart, cautious and dubious in a good way

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by swezenberg(m): 6:55pm On Feb 09, 2015
tonychristopher:
hope the other aspect of yoruba culture was retain like dirtyness,back bitting, fetishness, infedelity and cowardice.... i hope the so call accross pacific ocean retain this.DOES THIS CHANGE THE PRICE OF CRUDE OIL IN THE MARKET PLACE...B.U.LL.SH.I.T.T

You just mentioned what you are familiar with in your tribe. If you don't see those things around you in your village you won't come and vomit rubbish here.

8 Likes

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by musicwriter(m): 6:57pm On Feb 09, 2015
The Yorubas have a strong sense of community and Yorubaness, that's one. Second is most of the slave trade happened near coastal regions and many Yorubas were victim of slave trade more than any other west African tribe. Remember Ajai Crowder?. They didn't forget their culture even as they arrived the new world as slaves.

NB: Note that Oyo kingdom used to be very big land mass, one of the biggest ancient African kingdom. It stretched all the way from Eastern Ghana to Togo republic and Benin republic to parts of Benin (Nigeria). Yorubas were very big population even then.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by amanikondo: 6:58pm On Feb 09, 2015
tonychristopher:

Your comment will be deleted soon. Oloshi.
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 6:58pm On Feb 09, 2015
Double post.
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 7:01pm On Feb 09, 2015
We are a dynamic ethnic group and that's why our survival in any part of the world has being attributed to our dynamism. We are not afraid to exploit other places that our fellow Africans Won't dare to exploit. Right from time, the sons and daughters of oduduwa have being facing immense challenges to survive even here in Nigeria. We have fought countless battles with many conquerors who tried to conquer our lands and enslave our women and children. The history of yoruba survival didn't start a century ago, but rather our survival started million of years ago.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Adiwana: 7:01pm On Feb 09, 2015
This is an Educative post&helps to relief tension of the political kasala in Nigeria but some fools here will fill it with Ethnic Biogtry
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by amanikondo: 7:02pm On Feb 09, 2015
4chi:

See where envy and petty jealousy has driven you. You are no different from a rabid infested dog. Was it the fault of the yorubas that your fathers were primitive,naked wild living mongrels? Food gatherers and cave men? You wish you were Yoruba but since your chi has decided otherwise, learn to live with it.

Forget all the crap being spewed above,the Yoruba culture survived in the diaspora because IT IS THE MOST RESILIENT CULTURE FROM AFRICA AND IT'S SPIRITUALITY IS WORLD ACCLAIMED UP TILL TODAY. Yorubas don't owe anybody any apology for that after all, aji se bi oyo la nri, oyo o se bi baba enikankan .

Ask yourself which other African group has anything as deep as the ifa corpus coupled with impressive pantheon of gods which aremore than that of the Greek mythology. Yorubas have always been the initiator and not the immitators in matters of culture or why do you think the rest of Nigeria now tie gele, wear aso ebi and aso oke, adire, etc, etc other cultures will continue to imitate but you will never see a Yoruba man tie wrapper. Eewo Orishas!!

Preach it. May God and Obatala bless you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Nobody: 7:06pm On Feb 09, 2015
ifyalways:
It could be because a vast majority of the Igbo salves settled at places like Georgia,Maryland,Virginia and embraced the white man's religion fully undecided
You are good. Infact, these particular group of settlers EVEN had whites as slaves......
To Be Continued.
Re: Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others by Funjosh(m): 7:08pm On Feb 09, 2015
Observing seriously.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigeria's National Anthem In Yoruba Language / Some Funky Igbo Names And Their Meaning / Pictures Of Ethiopian Women Who Beg To Be Whipped

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.