Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,213 members, 7,807,731 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:13 PM

Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation (16119 Views)

What Jonathan Represents To Nigerians - A Compilation Of Gej's Threads / Governor Chime - I Was Amused Reading My Obituaries / Governor Chime - I Was Amused Reading My Obituaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Akshow: 6:33pm On Mar 23, 2013
Classicalman: OK. I AGREE WITH YOU.
childish and lame. Bigots like you will even make one insult achebe's bitter, crippled, hating self. There i insult him! Kill your self or go take a dive in the lagoon. Senseless ogbuefi swine
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Mkpotu(m): 7:09pm On Mar 23, 2013
RIP a legend, an Icon, a quintessential writer, a colossus, an erudite Professor and a father & grand father.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Classicalman(m): 7:25pm On Mar 23, 2013
Akshow: childish and lame. Bigots like[b] you will even make me insult MY FATHER'S bitter, crippled, hating self[/b]. There i insult him! Kill your self or go take a dive in the lagoon. I am a senseless ogbuefi swine
OK. grin grin grin grin
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Eziachi: 8:05pm On Mar 23, 2013
erniok: After reading how the world all over eulogizes this man, I wonder why some folks here vilify him. Indeed, a prophet is never honored in his hometown
No, they are not vilifying him, they are just afraid of his shadow for telling them some home truth they prefer not to hear. As inconsequential as they are with their opinion, Achebe is an African Iroko they will ever dream of half of him being their fathers.

Quote: Things for Apart when the centre cannot hold-then mere anarchy will run upon our land- Ichie Chinualamogu Achebe (Afa Mba Ogidi)

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Eziachi: 8:10pm On Mar 23, 2013
Akshow: if my comment Pain you, go hang your balls for transformer. Mental age my behind!
So, all your life, no one had mentioned it to you that, there is a time to shut up or at least go and use the ground to shelter yourself somewhere?

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by mollie12: 8:29pm On Mar 23, 2013
Thank you OP for this effort.

The outpour of obituaries and accolades gives credence to the fact that a real great has gone. Achebe influenced so many lives than he could have ever imagined. Can I even begin to mention my experience with his writings as required readings in school - Chike and the River, Anthills of the Savannah, Things Fall Apart? His writings had the power to transport us to a space in time we'd never witnessed. Because of him, I developed a strong appreciation for the African culture, and the Igbo culture as well. The number of international media/press that carried the notice of his passing gave me real food for thought. How many of us will be able to impart such level of influence in our lifetime? How many are even planning to? Too many things to say, too many thoughts going through my head but I'll just put a full stop here.

And Akshow and others causing digression, please show some courtesy and keep your idle thoughts and comments off this thread. Please this topic was opened for those that want to pay their respects and reflect on this legend that just passed. A simple google search will direct you to where you can get updates on whatever match is playing. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Akshow: 8:54pm On Mar 23, 2013
Eziachi:
So, all your life, no one had mentioned it to you that, there is a time to shut up or at least go and use the ground to shelter yourself somewhere?
man came from dust and to dust shall he return you dont need to blow kakaki over that. Well i'm not Suprised since your kinsmen end up dead in rivers. So when you are ready. Take a dive in the lagoon and kaput like your kinsmen
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Akshow: 9:00pm On Mar 23, 2013
Classicalman: OK. grin grin grin grin
HahaHaha lame. Try again. tongue
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Nobody: 9:26pm On Mar 23, 2013
I've read and enjoyed some of Achebe's works, yet I didn't know that he was such a great man. The eulogies have exposed his greatness. Pity Nigeria couldn't harness his greatness for international politics and diplomacy.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Nobody: 9:30pm On Mar 23, 2013
My tribute to the Legend Chinua Achebe
When I heard that one of the men I respect the most (Prof. Chinua Achebe) has passed on, I was not in a
hurry to comment on the matter because to give one’s parting words to a legend like Achebe one’s
words must be chosen carefully and respectfully.
I fell in love with Achebe through his works most notably “things fall apart” “no longer at ease” &
‘Anthills of the savannah’. On reading his works I knew instantly this was a genius a work and since then
i paid special attention to the legend. I have said it many times and I continue to say that I consider
Chinua Achebe the greatest writer of his time in Africa and beyond. His magnum opus “things fall apart”
remains a timeless classic till tomorrow.
I remember when I heard about his last work “There was a country” I was shocked that the legend was
still writing at such an advanced age. I could not wait to hold a copy of the book. Reading the book was
quite interesting. It is the most accurate historical record of the civil war I have come across though I
must also say that the author was highly ethnocentric. After reading the book I remember saying that it
sounded like the voice of a man trying to empty his head before passing on the great beyond. I
perceived from the book that Achebe was trying to offload emotions long locked within him least he be
guilty of taking his voice on the matter to the grave.
I remember a few of his words
1. “Things fall apart was a story yearning to be told and I was only lucky to be the one to tell the
story” - Chinua Achebe
2. “If you do not like someone’s story, write your own” - Chinua Achebe
3. “The white man is very clever. He came quietly and peaceably with his religion. We were
amused at his foolishness and allowed him to stay. Now he has won our brothers and our clan
can longer act as one. he has put a knife on the things that held us together and we have fallen
apart” - Chinua Achebe, Things fall apart
4. “Charity is the opium of the privileged” - Chinua Achebe, Anthills of the savannah
5. “Nobody can tell me who I am” - Chinua Achebe
6. “If I hold her hand she says ‘don’t touch’
If I hold her foot she says ‘don’t touch
’but when I hold her waist-beads she pretends not to know” - Chinua Achebe, things fall apart
7. “When suffering knocks at your door and you say there is no seat left for him, he tells you not to
worry he has brought his own” - Chinua Achebe
8. Writing has always been serious business for me. I felt it was a moral obligation. A major
concern of the time was the absence of an African Voice. Being part of the dialogue meant not
only sitting at the table but effectively telling the African story from an African perspective. –
Chinua Achebe, There was a country
9. “I had very little at my disposal to protest with, so the strongest statement I could make was to
turn down the honor of commander of the federal republic which I was awarded.” – Chinua
Achebe, There was a country
Quoting him will have no end because Achebe was a Man of many deep words.
I respect him because he was an excellent literary authority. He has a unique writing style and his words
leaps with authority from the pages of books into the minds of the reader. From his works I have learnt
to find my words in my own style without copying the pattern of any man. My first published work will
soon be out and Achebe remains my literary motivation.
He was a man that has received every professional accolade yet he remained humbled and he shocked a
nation when he rejected a prestigious national award because he felt he could not collect such an award
in clear conscience.
On his death, I say May the legend rest on. No one can say when Achebe will truly die because his works
will remain with us for a long time to come. I am not saddened by his death because he lived the life of
an achiever. In life I respected Chinua Achebe and in death My great respect still remains for the legend
that is CHINUA ACHEBE
- Wakbul

4 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Yujin(m): 11:54pm On Mar 23, 2013
Just have to step into the mouth of the mid-day sun and salute the great icon.
Odogwu N'edemede
Okwuru ora
The resilient crystalline salt in the belly of the ocean
The Father of Modern African Literature
A rare gem you were...
The Proud African
Your legacy 'o ji ofo na ogu ga ana' remains.
Rest in Peace Dike amama uwa dum.
Laa n'udo Sir Prof. Chinualumogu Achebe
As long as words do not cease, we shall not fail to eat them with palm oil- our palm oil.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by rhymz(m): 3:30pm On Mar 24, 2013
4chi:

...unfortunately Achebe himself did not adhere to this cardinal principle when he was running his mouth when Awo died. Hope his ibo kinsmen appreciate his passion for them and they accord him a good burial. Shame, he could have aroused so much national euphoria but for his utterly bigoted fart of a book called "there was a country".
You sound very daft and unneccessarily combative, Achebe is not one to write about an event just for the sake of stirring tribal sentiments. Like he said in an interview, if you don't like a story, write your own. If all the while, all you know about Awolowo's involvment of the war is the good side that is always highlighted by the SWestern domined press, Chinua Achebe has given you the other sides of the story that is often conveniently overlooked and downplayed by Awo's Kingsmen.
Achebe will always be great irrespective of shitty opinions from tribally jundiced Bigots such as you, better get used to it.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by tpia5: 9:52pm On Mar 24, 2013
As the world mourns Chinua Achebe, by Dele Momodu

Fellow Nigerians, let me join you and countless others across the universe in celebrating the life of one of our few global Ambassadors, Professor Albert Chinualumogu Achebe, who took a final bow two days ago as the curtain was closed on his spectacular performance on the world stage. It was a total blackout as the lights dimmed for a man who had sparkled under the klieg-lights for half a century of his 82 years on earth.

The rumour of his death had earlier crept in last week but that was soon dismissed as arrant joke. But this time around, the news came back with a renewed vigour and slammed at us like a ferocious thunderstorm.

It was impossible for an Achebe to have gone quietly. The era of social media had foreclosed that possibility. Every family now has a stake in the new media that makes everyone an automatic reporter. Those days are gone when we had to wait for media houses that had to wait for confirmation from those not ready to confirm anything. These days we capture the news as soon as the first tear drops from the eyelids of the bereaved. Such is the advancement of technology.

When I got the news of Achebe’s death yesterday, I was in the process of writing a different letter to some political office holders. I was thus faced with a dilemma of whether to postpone Achebe’s tribute to next week or do an instant justice to it. As a journalist, I understood the importance of seizing the moment, when the news is still oven-fresh and current and everyone is definitely in the mood to ask questions and get answers instantly. That helped to sway my decision to write the piece you are now reading.

As a Twitter devotee, I was able to test the waters and got the confirmation that Achebe’s news was a hot item on the front burner and I needed to serve it nicely. My timeline was on fire as soon as I fired my first shot: “An elephant has fallen. The Iroko has collapsed. The Eagle has departed. Good night, Professor Chinua Achebe.” I got countless retweets for it and it kept flowing all day.

I soon fired a second tweet that tried to capture a play on the wordings of Achebe’s popular titles: “When the arrow of God is fired, things fall apart, and a man of the people is no longer at ease.” My followers responded with incredible frenzy. That tweet was meant to bring back memories of the novels that turned boys into men.

We did not stop there. I tweeted a more serious one: “It is a sad day for the world of Literature as one of its greatest icons, Prof Albert Chinualumogu Achebe, joins his ancestors…” This reflected the sobriety that engulfed the world as the news spread across like bush fire in harmattan. I took the news nearer home when I tweeted this: “A sad day indeed for the irrepressible Ndigbo, as its iconoclastic Ambassador, Prof Albert Chinualumogu Achebe, departs this sinful world!”

The Twitter went wild with all manner of creative tweets that serenaded our minds with what the world has lost with the demise of Achebe. Most of them were positive while a few people still found the time and space to send and spread messages of hate and bitterness. Some Nigerians were still polarised along ethnic lines at a time we have the opportunity to unite and celebrate an undoubtedly great man who did us all very proud.

As for me and my house, Achebe was one of the best things that ever happened to the Black race. He was a superlative scholar of no mean achievement. He was a quintessential teacher whose simple diction was as easy as eating boiled yam with palm-oil. He was a writer who used the English language to describe a strange world the Whiteman was never familiar with.

Achebe was an exceptional Poet who composed his verses in the sonorous fashion of an African Griot. He was anuncommon politician who had the conscience to resist the allure and appurtenances of power, and knew when to throw in the towel rather than join the rat race. He was a philosopher-king who applied logic to our illogical existence. He was an iroko tree who stood solidly against injustice and refused to be blown apart by evil spirits.He was the irrepressible warrior who fired his arrows at ungodly men and made sure they were never at ease. He was the ultimate man of his people, the Ndigbo, and defended their interests to the very end.

I, like many of my contemporaries, was introduced to Achebe in our early days. It was impossible in those good old days not to have read all of Achebe’s works. Literature had always been one of my favourite subjects at St. John’s Grammar School, Oke-Atan in Ile-Ife, where a Singaporean woman, Mrs H Sutton took on us on a tour de force of the literary world. We read voraciously as if literature was going out of vogue. The beauty of Achebe was in his simplicity which was also a reflection of his personal gentle mien.

I must have read his classic, Things Fall Apart, half a dozen times. I was permanently fascinated by the manner he depicted the ancient tales of his people like the master story-teller that he was. This novel remains, probably, the most translated English novel of all times. I was shocked yesterday when my 15-year old son, who was brought back from England to school in Nigeria, rated Things Fall Apart as his most exciting literary work ever, followed by Wole Soyinka’s The Trials of Brother Jero. Such was the impact of Achebe’s writing prowess on even the ajebota (butter-eating) generation.

Achebe’s characters remain so vivid in real life, the most famous being Okonkwo, who was embroiled in the battle between tradition and the new civilisation that threatened how people used to live their lives. Obi, the grandson of Okonkwo, is the tragic hero in No Longer at Ease, written in 1960, about the time bribery and corruption sneaked into Nigeria and has remained with us ever since.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/03/as-the-world-mourns-chinua-achebe-by-dele-momodu/
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by mjkievo2(m): 5:31pm On Mar 29, 2013
Barr. Okahia Nnaemeka Mfr
6 hours ago
Dear Prof.,

Quitting the stage at the peak of ovations...is an attribute of great performers
Arrays and gallows of graveyard orations outpouring all over
Calculus of post-humous affections...,
... Plain truths and unintended truths obscured in hypocrisy
From a man, you became a movement
From an intellectual, you became an intelligentsia
From a thinker to a school of thought
Part of the rituals of our existence as mortals is to die
You just performed the ritual, but you’ve already written your name into immortality

There was a country and there was a Man!
Chronicles of your memoirs, mementos and frustration
Apocalypses of what “we could have been and what we have become”
..but You meant "there was a country at independence" - not even Biafra!
yet that country consistently finds itself in the hands of charlatans - "Ndi Efulefu"
Objective critics lamented that you ought not to open an old wound
Subjective critics wailed that you were abusing a thin god

When shall the best driver quit the passenger’s seat and drive?
What does "excellent horsemanship" do to a man without a Horse?
A sordid and abrupt invasion of incompetency and complacency
Celebration and adoration of high-class Mediocrity
Manipulation of our humble ethnic and religious differences by the political elite
But at the fullness of time, the "haves" and "have-nots" shall bear you witness
All men of letter shall extol your virtues
In eternal cognizance shall you remain
Pius Okigbo, Chris Okigbo, Eni Njoku, Kenneth Dike, Nebo- Graham Douglas …
…all shall welcome a brother home
Six feet deep shall you be lowered, but your name shall soar miles above sea level
May God rest your Soul - as the white man taught us to say
Is their God not different from the gods of your fathers?
Nay!..we all refer to the same Chukwu Abiama - the all sovereign God

..but shall you choose a recourse to the gods of your fathers, you are still home and dry!
"the Iroko has fallen, ...no man ever owns an Iroko, ..
Let the and elders of Ogidi summon in white robes
with clumsy beads, the maidens shall dance at the village square
The High Priest with a white a fowl, tusks of wine, four-pice kolanuts, alligator pepper
deeply spirited libations, enchantments and appeasements...shall commence your sojourn
“We reckon and beckon on our fathers..Let our father reckon and beckon on the ancestors
Ama m Nna m …..Nna m ma Ndi Ichie!
AMADIOHA shall roar his road like a lion and cheer you through with claps of thunder!
ISI OGWUGWU and his descendant’s shall herald your transition,
IBINI UKPABI will testify you were extraordinaire
KAMALU AROCHUKWU shall affirm you were a giant
AGWU NSI, ANA-EKWULU and ULAASI shall acclaim you a son of the soil
..the mother goddesses will take a turn...
NWAOCHA ORAUKWU shall pamper you through your sojourn
NWAORIE OWERRI shall put succor like the calmness of her river
Through whatever medium, your soul find solace
Rest in Peace a…A great Nigeria, a quintessential Pan-African!

Adieu !.. Ogazi na Ogidi
Adieu !!.. Nwadiana na Awka
Adieu !!!.. Otigburuagu na Nri Ukwu
Adieu !!!. Odenigbo Ndigbo.

Goodnight, Collosus

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Golden Chioma, Chairman Of Abe's Faction Of Rivers APC Dumps Party / Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death / Peter Obi Celebrates Prof. Wole Soyinka On His 89th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.