Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,047 members, 7,799,551 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

5 Words That Make You Sound Stupid - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Words That Make You Sound Stupid (630 Views)

10 Misused English Words That Make Smart People Look Silly / A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly / Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Words That Make You Sound Stupid by dlox147(m): 6:32am On Mar 23, 2013
Actually – The literal meaning of this word signifies that something is present or exists in reality, but it is often used incorrectly to add an extra punch to the sentence.

Basically – This word should be used to signify a simple or fundamental point, instead people often use it incorrectly in a statement to add weight and instill a sense of finality.

Honestly – Often times people use this word to add either authority or amazement to their statements. Its correct usage adds meaningful honesty to what the speaker is saying.

Like – Okay, we’re admittedly guilty of this one. We just can’t seem to shake this filler word, which was adapted into our vernacular after movies and shows like Valley Girl and Clueless introduced us to the so-called ‘Val Speak.’ Just like “um,” we involuntarily slip the word into our conversations, but it should be used when describing something that has the same form or character as something else.

Literally – This often used crutch word can irritate scrupulous listeners, as the incorrect usage of the adverb can render a statement senseless. The word is supposed to describe something in a strict manner without exaggeration, instead speakers often use it in figurative or hyperbolic sentences.

http://firsttoknow.com/5-words-that-make-you-sound-stupid
Re: 5 Words That Make You Sound Stupid by kenny1795(m): 6:48am On Mar 23, 2013
An example wuld "basically" help drive home ur ur point "literary"
Re: 5 Words That Make You Sound Stupid by ITbomb(m): 7:29am On Mar 23, 2013
Actually , I literally like to use some of these words to basically stress my points.
Re: 5 Words That Make You Sound Stupid by dlox147(m): 8:35am On Mar 23, 2013
ITbomb: Actually , I literally like to use some of these words to basically stress my points.
grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

A Thread For Jambites Having Bio-metric Verification Issues. / Just Can Not Believe This / Students In Kano Protest Mass UTME Failure!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.