Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:49 AM

Unjust Disparity Between Polytechnic And University Graduates In Nigeria -part 1 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unjust Disparity Between Polytechnic And University Graduates In Nigeria -part 1 (1491 Views)

Obasanjo’s Bells University Graduates 21 Students With 1st Class Degrees / Afam Nduaguba Made It At Havard University, Graduates As Stellar Student / We’re Removing Disparity Between Hnd, Varsity Degree -minister Of Education, Dr. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unjust Disparity Between Polytechnic And University Graduates In Nigeria -part 1 by Chinyxboy(m): 8:24am On Mar 23, 2013
Most secondary school leavers seeking admission into higher institutions in Nigeria would hardly choose polytechnics as their preferred institution, and it is easily understood why it is so. Why should they choose polytechnics when the university is there for them? Why go to the polytechnic to obtain Higher National Diploma that will take additional two years to go for post-graduate diploma that will make it degree equivalent? Why would you go through all these and still not be sure about gaining an employment after all the rigorous exercises?

Some of these students have vowed not to go to polytechnics for any reason. I know people who graduated from secondary school for over four years and have not got admission into the university, although they have been offered admission into polytechnics but they rejected the offer. It is very degrading that graduates from polytechnics go back to start university from first year. Why not, when polytechnic graduates are regarded as mere secondary school products? All these are because of the undue preferential treatment to university graduates in Nigeria.

Now, one may try to ask questions leading to why the polytechnic system was even created or adopted in Nigeria. An answer to this question will probably lead us to what we have to do to remedy this situation that makes mockery of our education system. Was it to train less intelligent students or just to keep people in school for five years with little or no gain or to come and face unjust disparity in the labour market, especially in big companies or banks if you are opportune to be employed?

The polytechnic system was originally adopted or rather inherited from our colonial master. However, our colonial master, the UK, where we copied the polytechnic system from, intended the system not to be more than intermediate institution to train technologists and middle-level manpower. So, the UK system of education limited the HND to be only equivalent to a bachelor’s degree without honours, that is the lowest rank in the British university system which is a ‘pass.’ This means that the HND is only equivalent to a pass in the university system, even if it is the best grade in polytechnic which is distinction.

This unjust disparity continued to create ill-will in the British educational sector until 1992 when it was abolished under the Higher Education Act, hence all the polytechnics in the UK were subsequently elevated to conventional universities. So, there are no polytechnics awarding HND in the UK now as they all award degrees or their equivalent.

It is very clear why the polytechnic system in Nigeria is the way it is and until the appropriate thing is done, this disparity will continue to widen and the value of polytechnic certificates must continue to depreciate if we do not correct it now. If the British can abolish theirs over 20 years ago, what are we waiting for?

Only very few students seeking admission into the university would want to go to the polytechnic and this is only after such students have tried unsuccessfully in gaining admission into the university or the parents are not financially stable. Almost all the students in the polytechnics are there on second choice that is after they have tried the university. Some of the students in the polytechnics choose there because of their age, so that they can obtain National Diploma, ND, within two years against university which is a minimum of four years.

The polytechnic system is really degrading and time-wasting. Every student in the polytechnic spends a minimum of five years to get his or her HND which will take another two years after the compulsory one year youth service to go for post graduate diploma which would be degree equivalent. Meanwhile, the degree holder spends only four years except for engineering courses or Medicine which could take five years and above.

While a university student spends an average of four to five years as the case may be to obtain a degree, a polytechnic student spends a minimum of eight years including one year compulsory youth service. Eight years to just obtain a degree that people spend two years to acquire in other countries. That’s really ridiculous and time wasting. This does not mean that all the polytechnic students or graduates are dummies; not at all. Polytechnics are very good and if not mistaken even far better than some universities in Nigeria.

To be continued...

Re: Unjust Disparity Between Polytechnic And University Graduates In Nigeria -part 1 by Saecula: 9:26am On Mar 23, 2013
Yes this has come to say. The dichotomy will continue to be there because there is no sign of it bottoming out.
The belief that all men are born equal is specious. At bottom, some are naturally more intelligent than others. Nature made it so. University admission is very competitive hence anybody that desires same should exert themselves and embrace the industry it requires.
Moreover. Everyone musn't attend a varsity or go for a competitive course.

Re: Unjust Disparity Between Polytechnic And University Graduates In Nigeria -part 1 by Chinyxboy(m): 4:22pm On Mar 23, 2013
Saecula: Yes this has come to say. The dichotomy will continue to be there because there is no sign of it bottoming out.
The belief that all men are born equal is specious. At bottom, some are naturally more intelligent than others. Nature made it so. University admission is very competitive hence anybody that desires same should exert themselves and embrace the industry it requires.
Moreover. Everyone musn't attend a varsity or go for a competitive course.
I totally agree with you...
Re: Unjust Disparity Between Polytechnic And University Graduates In Nigeria -part 1 by Belloladan(m): 4:12pm On Mar 24, 2013
Well said' but, is nigeria education minister's aware of this complained? this similer problems had been spoken for over decayed but still nothing has been done yet! since then why? what would be the panacea?
Re: Unjust Disparity Between Polytechnic And University Graduates In Nigeria -part 1 by Wittywizard(m): 4:27pm On Mar 24, 2013
I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH YOU... I WENT 4AN INTERVIEW IN ONE OF D GENERATION BANK.. AM A B.sc HOLDER, WENT WIT SOME N.D HOLDER... TO MY SUPRISE, I WAS TOLD THAT I WOULD'T BE EMPLOYED DAT THEY DON'T HAVE MY KIND OF MONEY... THEY CONFESSED THAT THEM MONEY THEY WILL PAY ME AS MY SALARY WILL BE ABLE TO PAY THREE(3) N.D holder... So u see
Re: Unjust Disparity Between Polytechnic And University Graduates In Nigeria -part 1 by ruffneck(m): 1:39pm On Mar 26, 2013
Wittywizard: I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH YOU... I WENT 4AN INTERVIEW IN ONE OF D GENERATION BANK.. AM A B.sc HOLDER, WENT WIT SOME N.D HOLDER... TO MY SUPRISE, I WAS TOLD THAT I WOULD'T BE EMPLOYED DAT THEY DON'T HAVE MY KIND OF MONEY... THEY CONFESSED THAT THEM MONEY THEY WILL PAY ME AS MY SALARY WILL BE ABLE TO PAY THREE(3) N.D holder... So u see
So u see what?@op is talkin abt HND and degrees u ar talking abt OND...what is ur point?
Re: Unjust Disparity Between Polytechnic And University Graduates In Nigeria -part 1 by ishmael(m): 7:33pm On Mar 26, 2013
Our education ministers are busy giving attention to nomadic and almajiri education. They care less about polytechnics and technical education.

1 Like

Re: Unjust Disparity Between Polytechnic And University Graduates In Nigeria -part 1 by ishmael(m): 6:48pm On Apr 09, 2013
In some countries, some professional qualifications and HND are considered to be equivalent to a uni degree. What qualification is the equivalent of a degree in nigeria?
Re: Unjust Disparity Between Polytechnic And University Graduates In Nigeria -part 1 by tosomaju(m): 7:31am On Apr 10, 2013
I happen to be one of the victims caught in the unfortunate web of HND. I started from pre-ND (double slap, u may call it), I climbed the ladder of all the classes in the polytechnic system within a space of 6years. I graduated with a whooping distinction, went for NYSC. And later went to the uni to begin from 300L. 10years in all.
Pls avoid the polytechnic if you could, it's the definition of waste of time, effort and money. Unless u want to live a discriminated life all through ur life. Remember, its one life! Get the best.
Re: Unjust Disparity Between Polytechnic And University Graduates In Nigeria -part 1 by ishmael(m): 10:01am On Apr 10, 2013
tosomaju: I happen to be one of the victims caught in the unfortunate web of HND. I started from pre-ND (double slap, u may call it), I climbed the ladder of all the classes in the polytechnic system within a space of 6years. I graduated with a whooping distinction, went for NYSC. And letter went to the uni to begin from 300L. 10years in all.
Pls avoid the polytechnic if you could, it's the definition of waste of time, effort and money. Unless u want to leave a discriminated life all through ur life. Remember, its one life! Get the best.
True talk.

(1) (Reply)

The Petroleum Training Institution (PTI) Entrance Exam Result Are Out / When are ASUU Union Members Meeting? / FUTA 2014/2015 Pre Degree Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.