Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,719 members, 7,805,960 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:11 AM

Enugu State And High Cost Of Living - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu State And High Cost Of Living (10930 Views)

Eyewitness Account Of Fulani Attack In Enugu State......(photos)...Greatiyk4u / Entitlements Of Former Heads Of State And Presidents / The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Activity77(m): 11:24pm On Mar 23, 2013
Residents of Enugu, the Coal city, have
called on the state government to wade into
arbitrary levies charged by landlords in the
capital city. Concerned residents who spoke to DailyPost
on the matter urged the Enugu House of
Assembly to make relevant laws that would
end the continuous exploitation of tenants by
landlords in the state. Mr. Clement Ogbu, who returned from the
Northern part of the country as a result of
Boko Haram insurgency lamented that
landlords and agents milk tenants dry in the
state. According to him: “I had wanted to settle
down in a 3-bedroom flat with my family
but the cost is just outrageous. “In most of the houses I checked, the least I
was asked to pay was N500,000 for two
years; in addition, I was also asked to pay
N50,000 as lawyer’s fee and N30,000 as
agent fee, making it a total of N580,000. “In fact, I even pleaded with the landlords
to allow me pay for one year, which will be
about N330,000, but none of them agreed. It
is really very bad that our people should be
exploitative. Government should do
something about this urgently”, he said. He said some indigenes of the state had
refused to leave the North because of the
situation they would face at home.
He said: “indeed most of our people in the
North are ready to come home, but they are
reluctant because of the high cost of living here”.
Another resident who spoke on the ugly
situation blamed it on greed as well as the
presence of many tertiary institutions in the
state. According to him: “I think most of our
people don’t have conscience, there is so much
craze for wealth and it is affecting every
system. I still do not understand why house
rent should be cheaper in Onitsha, Aba,
Owerre and other neighbouring cities than Enugu. “It is even more worrisome when you consider
the fact that the only industry here are
tertiary institutions. Students are not even
left out as they cough out over N100,000
for one-room apartment; it’s so bad and I
think the Enugu lawmakers should emulate their Lagos counterparts by putting an end to
this ‘madness”

2 Likes

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Arcard(m): 3:32am On Mar 24, 2013
It dpends on d area
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by obum042: 9:11am On Mar 24, 2013
Achara lay-out,uwani,amechi,gariki,camp,transekulu ,every where in enugu,the cost of living is high.how can u tell someone to pay 25k every month when their is no job,no big industry in enugu that can pay people.how do you expect those that are coming back from north to survive.the govt of enugu state should as a matter of urgency look into this.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Dejohnbull: 10:33am On Mar 24, 2013
Lie lie liars, scaring ppl away frm Enugu, shm.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by 7842I: 10:47am On Mar 24, 2013
Lazy tenants!

While you were there drinking alchohol and chasing women with your money the landlords toiled and sweated under the sun.

Those landlords bought those lands with their cash, paid "Ogbanecheagu" they built their own roads to the plots, built fence and built the house with millions of naira. They then bought electric poles, provided light for you, sank well or borehole and all these while the government did not help the landlords.

Why then do you think the government should now wake up and dictate to the landlords on how much they should collect from the tenants?

10 Likes

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by ZUBY77(m): 11:00am On Mar 24, 2013
7842I: Lazy tenants!

While you were there drinking alchohol and chasing women with your money the landlords toiled and sweated under the sun.

Those landlords bought those lands with their cash, paid "Ogbanecheagu" they built their own roads to the plots, built fence and built the house with millions of naira. They then bought electric poles, provided light for you, sank well or borehole and all these while the government did not help the landlords.

Why then do you think the government should now wake up and dictate to the landlords on how much they should collect from the tenants?

Seun, where is that 'dislike' button ?

Enugu houses are very expensive for real. The worst is that they dont have much industries in the state to pay for it. My younger sister collects over 100k every semester for a one room apartment. It is too much for a student.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by 7842I: 11:03am On Mar 24, 2013
ZUBY77:

Seun, where is that 'dislike' button ?

Enugu houses are very expensive for real. The worst is that they dont have much industries in the state to pay for it. My younger sister collects over 100k every semester for a one room apartment. It is too much for a student.

Your sister is chopping your money o! There is nowhere they charge N100k for a semester, its for a year for a self contained room.

You cannot say something is expensive till you factor in the cost of production, can you?

4 Likes

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by ZUBY77(m): 11:22am On Mar 24, 2013
7842I:

Your sister is chopping your money o! There is nowhere they charge N100k for a semester, its for a year for a self contained room.

You cannot say something is expensive till you factor in the cost of production, can you?

You are right about the semester thing, it is for one year. But since when did the cost of production in Enugu become higher than other SE states?

Isn't cement, rods, water, sand etc almost all the same all over the east?
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by 7842I: 11:40am On Mar 24, 2013
ZUBY77:

You are right about the semester thing, it is for one year. But since when did the cost of production in Enugu become higher than other SE states?

Isn't cement, rods, water, sand etc almost all the same all over the east?

It is a demand fuelled inflation on the houses, there is no vacancy so every new one is hotly contested, and the landlords are not building many more houses. This may continue for a very long time.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by ZUBY77(m): 11:54am On Mar 24, 2013
7842I:

It is a demand fuelled inflation on the houses, there is no vacancy so every new one is hotly contested, and the landlords are not building many more houses. This may continue for a very long time.

that sounds like a huge opportunity for estate investors
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by 7842I: 12:05pm On Mar 24, 2013
ZUBY77:

that sounds like a huge opportunity for estate investors

Yes, but instead of some tenants to mass together and find ways to exploit the situation, they will be crying for the government to intervene. If the government intervenes things will get worse, and 800 thousand cannot rent you a flat anymore.

1 Like

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by ikeyman00(m): 12:10pm On Mar 24, 2013
^^^this smell fishy

u sound like a landlord on rampage to exploit the masses shocked

if u keep misbehaving then there is need for the state government to step in
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by 7842I: 12:16pm On Mar 24, 2013
ikeyman00: ^^^this smell fishy

u sound like a landlord on rampage to exploit the masses shocked

if u keep misbehaving then there is need for the state government to step in

I am not a landlord but a realist. If the government steps in, the landlords will stop building more houses if they think there is no more profit to be made. Then the vacant houses will become non existent. You amy be begging with one million naira and no flats will be available for rent
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Afam4eva(m): 12:34pm On Mar 24, 2013
It depends on the part of Enugu that you want a house. Cut your coat according to your size.

why is it that some people result to cheap blackmail in situations like this. So, landlords should decrease house rent because some people want to relocate from the north to Enugu? These same people are the ones that will build mansions in other parts of the country and when they're asked to pay a measly amount for house rent in their own home town, they result to blackmail. Why not go back to the north and live with bokoharam. Nonsense.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by 7842I: 12:39pm On Mar 24, 2013
Afam4eva: It depends on the part of Enugu that you want a house. Cut your coat according to your size.

why is it that some people result to cheap blackmail in situations like this. So, landlords should decrease house rent because some people want to relocate from the north to Enugu? These same people are the ones that will built mansions in other parts of the country and when they're asked to pay a measly amount for house rent in their own home town, they result to blackmail. Why not go back to the north and live with bokoharam. Nonsense.

I wonder o, must everybody live in New Haven and Trans Ekulu, what happened to Udi and Obollo Afor or Awgu? Is rent 5oo thausand there as well?

1 Like

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Activity77(m): 1:01pm On Mar 24, 2013
Afam4eva: It depends on the part of Enugu that you want a house. Cut your coat according to your size.

why is it that some people result to cheap blackmail in situations like this. So, landlords should decrease house rent because some people want to relocate from the north to Enugu? These same people are the ones that will build mansions in other parts of the country and when they're asked to pay a measly amount for house rent in their own home town, they result to blackmail. Why not go back to the north and live with bokoharam. Nonsense.

Afam do u stay in enugu,wen was d last tym u enterd enugu.i grew up in enugu so i no wats hapunin dia.like wer am living,achara layout 2 b precise.d least price u can get is 15000 on an old building.hw do u justify dat.even my landlord is telling me dat he wil stil increase d rent by nxtyr..am not blackmailing anybody so am speaking from a tenant point of view.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Afam4eva(m): 1:04pm On Mar 24, 2013
Activity77:

Afam do u stay in enugu,wen was d last tym u enterd enugu.i grew up in enugu so i no wats hapunin dia.like wer am living,achara layout 2 b precise.d least price u can get is 15000 on an old building.hw do u justify dat.even my landlord is telling me dat he wil stil increase d rent by nxtyr..am not blackmailing anybody so am speaking from a tenant point of view.
Isn't Achara layout also a high brow area? Btw, i'm not supporting the unnecessary hike in house rent, my anger is that these people are trying to blackmail landlords to give them special treatment because they relocated from the north. If they cannot afford the highbrow areas, there are other low cost places that they could go to.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Activity77(m): 1:07pm On Mar 24, 2013
Dejohnbull: Lie lie liars, scaring ppl away frm Enugu, shm.

Am not scaring people away from enugu,hw can i do dat wen i wnt our people to cum back nd doz already in enugu to have minimal house rent
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by 7842I: 1:13pm On Mar 24, 2013
Activity77:

Am not scaring people away from enugu,hw can i do dat wen i wnt our people to cum back nd doz already in enugu to have minimal house rent

The only way to have minimal house rent is to get the spending of the landlords to be minimal, thats all. If they cannot see their profits they will stop building (abi na by force to build) that time people go dey sleep outside or under the mango trees grin
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by obum042: 1:18pm On Mar 24, 2013

Its not everybody that live in the north built a house. Ua now insinuating that we should welcome only the rich ones that come back from the north,no. I guess u don't live in enugu. The main problem now in enugu is house rent,most people now have good road,cheap transportation within and out the town,water is becoming a thing of the past,security is now better...if the prices are not controlled,it might escalate and many people will be sent parking..
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Activity77(m): 1:20pm On Mar 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
Isn't Achara layout also a high brow area? Btw, i'm not supporting the unnecessary hike in house rent, my anger is that these people are trying to blackmail landlords to give them special treatment because they relocated from the north. If they cannot afford the highbrow areas, there are other low cost places that they could go to.

there is nutin like special treatment cos all of us are one(igbos).most of them coming down here are nt financially buoyant...
Can u help push it to front page so we can have more views concerning this pls.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by HAH: 1:27pm On Mar 24, 2013
The land mass of Igbo land is too small to contain the igbos, I wonder how they will live when their biafra dream actualizes.

That is how one igbo welder ran away from maiduguri cos of BH only for him to return back maiduguri after a month and confessed that he rather dies in maiduguri than the treatment he received back home, he said he almost died of hunger and homelessness.

Biko Ndigbo be your brothers keeper and quit worshiping money.

1 Like

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Nobody: 1:31pm On Mar 24, 2013
I know every nook and cranny of enugu. Anyone who is saying there's high cost of living in enugu is either lying,has not travelled out of enugu or has never visited enugu.

Enugu is one of the few places in the south and some part of north where you can get classic service at low cost.

Am not against curtailing rise in cost of living but don't generalise just because of an incident. I know some landlords,just like every other place in nigeria, do extort from tenants but don't make it look like enugu is such a horrible place to rent a comfortable apartment.

Tho one would also have to consider the quality of apartment we're talking about here. You can't shoot for zoo housing estate or coal city gardens and expect to pay 50k
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by 7842I: 1:32pm On Mar 24, 2013
quote author=HAH]The land mass of Igbo land is too small to contain the igbos, I wonder how they will live when their biafra dream actualizes.

That is how one igbo welder ran away from maiduguri cos of BH only for him to return back maiduguri after a month and confessed that he rather dies in maiduguri than the treatment he received back home, he said he almost died of hunger and homelessness.

Afam, can you get this to the front page, only that it will turn into another tribal war.

Biko Ndigbo be your brothers keeper and quit worshiping money.[/quote]

Hunger and homelessness inside his village? Abi the guy no get village? This is why we advice them to have one eye at home even as they enjoy cheap meat and low cost beans in the north.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by ChimaAdeoye: 1:37pm On Mar 24, 2013
Afam4eva:

We often ask, why can't Igbo in the north come home? This answers part of the question.The cost of living is higher in the SE than north.
The government must re-double its effort at Mass housing and provide more low cost estates without necessarily nurturing ghettos. Enugu must have new low cost housing layouts established around its satellite towns as Emene,9th Mile and towards Ituku.Land in these areas is still relatively cheap and the cost for construction of a one or two bedroom bungalow should not be much higher than the national average. Somehow,more decent houses must be provided for these returning Igbos and indeed other Nigerians leaving the north, especially from the middle belt tribes such as Igala,Idoma,Tiv etc who wish to live a decent life in the east.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by 7842I: 1:39pm On Mar 24, 2013
Activity77:

there is nutin like special treatment cos all of us are one(igbos).most of them coming down here are nt financially buoyant...
Can u help push it to front page so we can have more views concerning this pls.

And those Igbo people that are born in enugu should pay more? Are they richer than you guys abi na them chase you to Maiduguri
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by 7842I: 1:43pm On Mar 24, 2013
Chima_Adeoye:

We often ask, why can't Igbo in the north come home? This answers part of the question.The cost of living is higher in the SE than north.
The government must re-double its effort at Mass housing and provide more low cost estates without necessarily nurturing ghettos. Enugu must have new low cost housing layouts established around its satellite towns as Emene,9th Mile and towards Ituku.Land in these areas is still relatively cheap and the cost for construction of a one or two bedroom bungalow should not be much higher than the national average. Somehow,more decent houses must be provided for these returning Igbos and indeed other Nigerians leaving the north, especially from the middle belt tribes such as Igala,Idoma,Tiv etc who wish to live a decent life in the east.

Can you imagine this one? Provide cheap houses for returnees? What of those suffering in Igboland since. They can still get lands in Akpakume Nze for 60k and live in the rural area than try to force landlords in Independent layout to rent to them on lands that cost 40 million naira to buy!

1 Like

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Afam4eva(m): 1:44pm On Mar 24, 2013
Chima_Adeoye:

I agree with you. There are low cost housing in Enugu though not sufficient for the implosion that's been experienced at the moment. So, new low cost housing estates should be developed in the outskirts of Enugu.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by 7842I: 1:45pm On Mar 24, 2013
HAH: The land mass of Igbo land is too small to contain the igbos, I wonder how they will live when their biafra dream actualizes.

Biko Ndigbo be your brothers keeper and quit worshiping money.

Its not the landmass, its the injustice of a census policy that counts the Igbo to be few.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Afam4eva(m): 1:46pm On Mar 24, 2013
7842I:

Can you imagine this one? Provide cheap houses for returnees? What of those suffering in Igboland since. They can still get lands in Akpakume Nze for 60k and live in the rural area than try to force landlords in Independent layout to rent to them on lands that cost 40 million naira to buy!
The low cost housing will be for everyone...The point i was trying to make is that Igbos who ran away should not be made more special than those who had kept fate with Igboland. If anything, those that have remained in Igboland despite the odds, should be more appreciated.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by mekaboy(m): 1:46pm On Mar 24, 2013
Activity77:

Bro u can move from acharalayout to emene or udi or nsuka, house is cheaper there. Do u know how much a plot of land cost in achara layout?

The man talking of trans ekulu new haven, blame the land owners first before landlords. The list u get a plot of land in trans is 5m and that's out sketch. New have and independence. A plot is from 10m up if u see to buy. After the land and building u want landlord to reduce rent because u came from north. U don't know the landlord that if that landlord too his money and went to invest in the north u won't even see house talkless of price.

All of u that choose to go and invest in the north we r waiting for u here. Come back and tell us how much to rent house.

1 Like

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by 7842I: 1:47pm On Mar 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
I agree with you. There are low cost housing in Enugu though not sufficient for the implosion that's been experienced at the moment. So, new low cost housing estates should be developed in the outskirts of Enugu.

Developed by whom? Dont tell me the government should do everything in this nation. Whaere is the private sector if there is profit to be made from it?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

World's Poorest President's Pictures And His Beautiful Car / Truck Owners, Freight Forwarders Protest Over Poor State Of Apapa Roads / Maina: Buhari's Culture Of Corruption Finally Unfolds By Erasmus Ikhide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.