Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,922 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? (3555 Views)

Putting A Stop To The "Yoruba-igbo" Ethnic Rivalry. / Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? / Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by DukeNija(m): 9:13pm On Mar 24, 2013
Why Why Why??

Why do some Igbo's have to be so low as to think that everything or everyone is against them? Making everything tribal? Crazy!!!

Why are some Yoruba's so silly to generalize that all Igbo's on Nairaland have the same opinions and are all one minded?

So many great threads have been turned into ethnic dung, because of the ignorance of both tribes!

As an Igbo man, I do not and will never share opinions with a deranged igbo individual, who thinks that he's the next Ojukwu.

We fight here, but go outside this country and see us scrambling for one another just to have a Nigerian buddie.
Even Achebe and Soyinka were great friends and allies till the Very end! And Soyinka is still mourning his late Friend!

Spewing hatred on Nairaland doesn't make you strong. Go out and fight!
This is 2013 and if we with all our information, technology and rational minds can still act worse than our less educated and privileged Parents, then we indeed are Hopeless and lost!

To the Igbo dude who started the war on the Soyinka and daughter thread, you are a disgrace to all the Ndigbo's the world over, and beyond. Including Achebe!

9 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Mar 24, 2013
Well spoken. We should all stop this nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by DukeNija(m): 9:22pm On Mar 24, 2013
bayooooooo: Well spoken. We should all stop this nonsense.

Its sickning!
I was born and bred in Lagos.
Served in Ekiti state, same with my Mom!
My mom schooled in the University of Ibadan, same with my elder brother.
I can never hate Yoruba's because I understand them.
They have a different culture just as the Igbo's.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Genius100: 9:23pm On Mar 24, 2013
There is a lot of ethnic rivalry on Nairaland because the Admin (Seun) and the moderators are incompetent. The solution to the issue is very very simple. You make a law banning ethnic baiting, create a thread for people to report ethnic baiting, and ban the offenders for life. This is the simple formula that has worked on all Nigerian online forum with little to no ethnic war..

4 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Mar 24, 2013
@ OP,

Nairaland is a microcosm of Nigeria. Whatever ethnic rivalries you see here are reflective of the state of affairs in the larger country.

Nigeria is a country full of faultlines. Ethnic nationalities who have been apart for thousands of years (and are as different as night and day) have been merged together for the past 99 years.

99 years is a short time, historically speaking.

It will take several more decades to deal with our ethnic and foundational differences and learn to live together as one nation. Until that happens, don't expect Yorubas, Hausas and Igbos to get all cuddly beccause they have been lumped together in a British experiment.

That's the unfortunate truth.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Mudley313: 9:34pm On Mar 24, 2013
Genius100: There is a lot of ethnic rivalry on Nairaland because the Admin (Seun) and the moderators are incompetent. The solution to the issue is very very simple. You make a law banning ethnic baiting, create a thread for people to report ethnic baiting, and ban the offenders for life. This is the simple formula that has worked on all Nigerian online forum with little to no ethnic war..

I think the mods encourage it for whatever reason...dats how people like eko-ile got e-famous off his/her tribalistic online pseudonym...if you notice sometimes threads with tribalism bait titles are posted on the front page...i dunno why, probably traffic, but if outright bans are handed to these tribal trolls they're sure gon atleast subside drastically

1 Like

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Mar 24, 2013
Is this JAMB, MEND, WAEC, OPC, NECO or BOKOHARAM question?

1 Like

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Genius100: 9:46pm On Mar 24, 2013
Mudley313:

I think the mods encourage it for whatever reason...dats how people like eko-ile got e-famous off his/her tribalistic online pseudonym...if you notice sometimes threads with tribalism bait titles are posted on the front page...i dunno why, probably traffic, but if outright bans are handed to these tribal trolls they're sure gon atleast subside drastically

That is not the kind of traffic a competent admin/moderator should want. It's amazing to me how Seun can't see how his brand is being damaged. He's happy with the money he's making off Nairaland not knowing he's mortgaging the future potential of the website..
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Genius100: 9:48pm On Mar 24, 2013
HNosegbe: @ OP,

Nairaland is a microcosm of Nigeria. Whatever ethnic rivalries you see here are reflective of the state of affairs in the larger country.

Nigeria is a country full of faultlines. Ethnic nationalities who have been apart for thousands of years (and are as different as night and day) have been merged together for the past 99 years.

It will take several more decades to deal with our ethnic and foundational differences and learn to live together as one nation. Until that happens, don't expect Yorubas, Hausas and Igbos to get all cuddly beccause they have been lumped together in a British experiment.

Nonsense. People talk a lot of trash on the internet because they are anonymous. Until you ascribe a huge punitive measure to ethnic baiting, it will continue because people can hide under the cloak of anonymity
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Seun(m): 9:57pm On Mar 24, 2013
Genius100: This is the simple formula that has worked on all Nigerian online forum with little to no ethnic war traffic..
ftfy
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Mar 24, 2013
Seun: ftfy
is that all you gat so say? o ma se o!
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by DukeNija(m): 10:11pm On Mar 24, 2013

Boss thank God you saw this!
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by DukeNija(m): 10:15pm On Mar 24, 2013
Genius100:

Nonsense. People talk a lot of trash on the internet because they are anonymous. Until you ascribe a huge punitive measure to ethnic baiting, it will continue because people can hide under the cloak of anonymity

Exactly!
+1000
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by amtalkin(f): 10:22pm On Mar 24, 2013
With all this.... One need to ask
can Nigeria ever be 1?
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Seun(m): 10:22pm On Mar 24, 2013
wtf is ethnic baiting anyway? We do not support ethnic or racial intolerance, but ethnic baiting is not recognised as a form of intolerance.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by EkoAtlantic: 10:49pm On Mar 24, 2013

Nigeria is a country full of faultlines.
Ethnic nationalities who have been apart for thousands of years (and are as different as night and day) have been merged together for the past 99 years.

I disagree at the bolded part. The mind set of a common Nigerian(don't know about the Northerners) is far from that.
Ethnic rivalry on forums are scripts being acted/played for a purpose. Shouldn't be taken serious

1 Like

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Genius100: 11:00pm On Mar 24, 2013
Seun: wtf is ethnic baiting anyway? We do not support ethnic or racial intolerance, but ethnic baiting is not recognised as a form of intolerance.

It is not about supporting. No reasonable person will accuse you of supporting ethnic or racial intolerance but you definitely tolerate it and that is a huge disservice to your person as the administrator. Ethnic baiting is when you incite ethnic battles. Ethnic baiting is engaging in conduct that is insulting to another ethnic group.

I'm quite surprised at your mentality. It's almost like you think you are generating a lot of traffic because of the ethnic wars on this site. Do you think people come to Nairaland because they like ethnic wars? There is something called "User Experience". You ought to look up the definition and understand it's relationship with profitability.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Genius100: 11:05pm On Mar 24, 2013

You think the secret to the traffic on Nairaland is your loose moderating? If Nairaland was well moderated, you will be making a lot more money than you are now, because you will attract a more profitable demographic.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by ayox2003: 11:05pm On Mar 24, 2013

No. The ethnic rivalries are not really reflective of what goes down in Nigeria. Yes some Igbos/Yorubas on the street act quite silly once in a while but not as frequent as those folks who trade words on here.

Igbos and Yorubas live peacefully, do business and are involved in inter-tribal marriages almost every weekend. The few folks that attack themselves on here are probably 'catching trips' or frustrated mouks that are embittered by stories of the civil war or for reasons known to them. undecided

If Nairaland were a reflection of Nigeria, Aleshinloye in Ibadan or Ladipo in Lagos would have ceased to exist by now. Yet those markets are booming by the minute because of the strong cooperation of Igbos and Yorubas.

Like a view at the Religion section would make you think Nigeria has a good number of Atheist. Iro nla (big lie). Before you'd meet an Atheist in the real sense of it, even in a populated city like Lagos, you'd spend days.

I'm not at all moved by those tribal 'warriors', most of them are nigerians in diaspora anyway.

Frawzey

4 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Mar 24, 2013
Duke_Nija: Why Why Why??

Why do some Igbo's have to be so low as to think that everything or everyone is against them? Making everything tribal? Crazy!!!

Why are some Yoruba's so silly to generalize that all Igbo's on Nairaland have the same opinions and are all one minded?

So many great threads have been turned into ethnic dung, because of the ignorance of both tribes!

As an Igbo man, I do not and will never share opinions with a deranged igbo individual, who thinks that he's the next Ojukwu.

We fight here, but go outside this country and see us scrambling for one another just to have a Nigerian buddie.
Even Achebe and Soyinka were great friends and allies till the Very end! And Soyinka is still mourning his late Friend!

Spewing hatred on Nairaland doesn't make you strong. Go out and fight!
This is 2013 and if we with all our information, technology and rational minds can still act worse than our less educated and privileged Parents, then we indeed are Hopeless and lost!

To the Igbo dude who started the war on the Soyinka and daughter thread, you are a disgrace to all the Ndigbo's the world over, and beyond. Including Achebe!

I agree with this post. However -

See this thread for the inspiration for the "war" in the Soyinka thread

https://www.nairaland.com/1234467/did-chinua-achebe-actually-anything

Care to share your opinions on that?

I agree with some comments here though - it's despicable what threads are promoted to generate traffic and how they cause friction in the site.

But even Seun has agreed here that this is a certified Nairaland niche/traffic generator. Why not milk it for what it's worth, I guess?
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by MrGlobe(m): 11:17pm On Mar 24, 2013
Duke_Nija:

Its sickning!
I was born and bred in Lagos.
Served in Ekiti state, same with my Mom!
My mom schooled in the University of Ibadan, same with my elder brother.
I can never hate Yoruba's because I understand them.
They have a different culture just as the Igbo's.
so how did you then conclude you are igbo going by the above?
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by otokx(m): 11:18pm On Mar 24, 2013
Truth is nairaland is the real picture of the hidden fears of Nigeria. The faultlines are real and the sooner we address it peacefully the better for us all. We have to be tactful.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by kramer: 11:30pm On Mar 24, 2013

Not so... i lived in Nigeria for years and had friends from different tribes and backgrounds yet i never experienced any of the hatred that is being spewed by tribalists on Nairaland. Sometimes they get so bad that you begin to wonder if we are all actually negroes or maybe there exist special negroes that we werent told about in biology class.

At the end of the day we are all the Humans, and as black africans we have more in common with our brothers and sisters than we do with white people and that should make us even more inclined to tolerate one another.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by PointB: 12:11am On Mar 25, 2013
You guys should lay off Seun. If you think a comment is too offensive or breaks the rule, there is the complaint sections or 'report to the moderator' link - please use them.

Opening threads every now and then to complain about 'tribalism' is getting boring. There are by the way other sections/topics in Nairaland devoid of so called tribalism.

This is Cyber!
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by dayokanu(m): 12:42am On Mar 25, 2013
Is this not the same OP who posted the below

Duke_Nija:

Achebe is the Father of African Literature!
Africans worship him already!
Including Mandela!
Soyinka is a local champion(no offence)

Let Soyinka sell over 10 million copies in 50 languages, and I'll reconsider!

5 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by kramer: 12:55am On Mar 25, 2013
dayokanu: Is this not the same OP who posted the below

Funny enough there is nothing wrong with that post
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by dayokanu(m): 12:56am On Mar 25, 2013
kramer:

You mean there is nothing wrong with calling a Nobel laureate a Local Champion?

5 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 12:56am On Mar 25, 2013
dayokanu: Is this not the same OP who posted the below

Don't mind the bunch of hypocrites. They called deceiving and lying igbo sense.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:00am On Mar 25, 2013
kramer:

That goat was blinded by hate and sheer bitterness to call Soyinka a local champion. A man with more than 50 international awards and well respected throughout the world.

You see nothing wrong with that bigoted post? By the way, are you igbo?
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:20am On Mar 25, 2013

Legacy and honours

1973: Honorary PhD, University of Leeds
1973–74: Overseas Fellow, Churchill College, Cambridge
1983: Elected an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Society of
Literature[15]
1983: Anisfield-Wolf Book Award , United States.
1986: Nobel Prize for Literature
1986 Agip Prize for Literature
1986 Commander of the Federal Republic, CFR.
1990: Benson Medal from Royal Society of Literature
1993: Honorary doctorate, Harvard University
2005: Honorary doctorate degree, Princeton University. [16]
2005: Conferred with the chieftaincy title of Akinlatun of
Egbaland by the Alake , Oba of his Egba clan of Yorubaland. He was
made a tribal aristocrat with the right to use the Yoruba title Oloye .
[17]
2009: Academy of Achievement Golden Plate Award
↑Jump back a section

Just a pin drop of achievements of Prof. Wole Soyinka, the man the bigoted OP referred to as local champion. That's igbo man for you, arrogance and chest beating. Simply because Soyinka is a Yoruba man, then the igbo must be best. Fools.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Ivynwa(f): 1:22am On Mar 25, 2013
The ethnic hatings/rivalry are getting worse and more sickening.
One may need a break of a week or two from all the rancour and hatred. It's suffocating, time to search for inspiring sites to hang out online and read home news.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Afam4eva(m): 1:35am On Mar 25, 2013
dayokanu:

You mean there is nothing wrong with calling a Nobel laureate a Local Champion?
The problem with tribalism is that you feel whatever any one from another ethnic groups says is laced with tribalism. Saying that Soyinka is a local champion is not tribalistic. Will it also be tribalistic if you heard it from a Yoruba person? An insult of an individual is not the same as the insult on his tribe. That's what you guyz have failed to understand. Though i disagree with soyinka been a local champion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rivers PDP Rally: Patience Jonathan Spoke Flawless, Flowing English. / LIVE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION RESULTS-Ratio Analysis Show Potentially Rigged States / Breaking News!!! Gunmen Directing Election In Akuku Toru LGA Of Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.