Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,431 members, 7,808,543 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:15 PM

A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe (11089 Views)

Jonathan And Patience On The Page Of A Kenyan Newspaper / Tribute To Officers And Soldiers That Fought Against Bokoharam But Died In The P / Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:02am On Mar 25, 2013
[size=15pt]No longer at ease, things fall apart for a man of the People[/size]

Tribute to Chinua Achebe

Updated Saturday, March 23 2013 at 11:40 GMT+3

By Peter Nguli

If a child washed his hands he could eat with kings. But Eneke the bird says that since men have learnt to shoot without missing, he has learnt to fly without perching. Those are the words of Chinua Achebe.

The death of Chinua Achebe is a great loss for the African continent. Achebe was famous as much for what he represented as for what he had written – an emblem of a continent finding its voice. Every child in Africa grew up with Achebe.

It's only fair to pay tributes in a novel compilation for Achebe and other great African writers. When you are no longer at ease, things fall apart for a man of the people along the anthills of the savanna.

The leopard got his claws because Chike and the river ran across the bridge in the river between and shouted, 'Weep not child', because you brought betrayal in the city but don't despair because the beautiful ones are not yet born. Chinua Achebe, you shaped my literature and command of the English language. I offer you a grain of wheat.

I remember the proverbs that you taught us because as you said, among the Igbo the art of conversation is regarded very highly, and proverbs are the palm-oil with which words are eaten.

I say this because whenever you see a toad running in broad daylight, you know that something is after its life. And when a mad man walks around nake.d, it is his kinsmen who feel shame, not himself.

You were brave and it is praiseworthy to be brave and fearless, but sometimes it is better to be a coward. Because we often stand in the compound of a coward to point at the ruins of where a brave man used to live.

For when a handshake goes beyond the elbow, you know that it has turned into something else. Those whose palm kernels were cracked for them by a benevolent spirit should not forget to be humble. You were humble enough professor Achebe. As I stare at your death coffin, the eye is not harmed by sleep. You said that he who has people is richer than he who has money.

So if you want to eat a toad you look for a fat and juicy one. You said that an old woman is always uneasy when dry bones are mentioned in a proverb. So be at ease because you said that if you don't like someone's story, write your own.

To me, being an intellectual doesn't mean knowing about intellectual issues; it means taking pleasure in them. For when the moon is shining the cripple becomes hungry for a walk. There is no story that is not true. Perhaps down in his heart, Okonkwo was not a cruel man. But his whole life was dominated by fear, the fear of failure and of weakness.

Chinua Achebe, you are still alive and I wish you long life. You will never die because we and our future generations will read your works forever.

Do not despair. I know you will not despair. You have a manly and a proud heart. A proud heart can survive a general failure because such a failure does not prick its pride. It is more difficult and more bitter when a man fails alone.

Otherwise, the lizard that jumped from the high Iroko tree said he would praise himself if no one else did. When suffering knocks at your door and you say there is no seat for him, he tells you not to worry because he has brought his own stool. Rest in peace Chinua Achebe.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000079965&story_title=Kenya-No-longer-at-ease,-things-fall-apart-for-a-man-of-the-People

77 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by saintneo(m): 4:41am On Mar 25, 2013
Nice work from the Kenyan.....finally FTC
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by duke4ever: 4:42pm On Mar 25, 2013
Wonderful one from a Kenyan.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:05pm On Mar 25, 2013

1 Like

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by tellwsdom: 5:19pm On Mar 25, 2013
So this man is so respected than Obama??..WOW..Lovely
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by worldman(m): 5:22pm On Mar 25, 2013
Second
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 25, 2013
the torrent of tributes from all over the world show that prof. chinua achebe was a great man. may his soul rest in peace.

6 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by PHIPEX(m): 5:27pm On Mar 25, 2013
Great prophets always find great honours in foreign countries. When the noise of betrayal by some nairalanders and fellow countrymen dies down and are eternally forgotten, generations yet unborn shall rise and call you Blessed...Rest in peace Achebe

34 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by ejikemedevinci: 5:29pm On Mar 25, 2013
That's an awesome effort.

1 Like

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by simongonner: 5:29pm On Mar 25, 2013
died a great man..rip man
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Dede1(m): 5:31pm On Mar 25, 2013
I say shame on the so-called Nigerians who had the effrontery to doubt Achebe’s contribution to African continent.

13 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by aiyeboy(m): 5:31pm On Mar 25, 2013
Ok now i hear,can i now gulp ma cup of garri?
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by IleIfe2(m): 5:32pm On Mar 25, 2013
Nice, very nice....Achebe was a wonderful story teller.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by fuckluv(f): 5:33pm On Mar 25, 2013
Now i understand the proverbial saying ''a good name is better than riches''. RIP Achebe

1 Like

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:35pm On Mar 25, 2013
Channel 4 News UK Tribute

http://bcove.me/0xzdb8kz
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by IleIfe2(m): 5:36pm On Mar 25, 2013
tellwsdom: So this man is so respected than Obama??..WOW..Lovely

Puma
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by OO7: 5:37pm On Mar 25, 2013
wow
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:38pm On Mar 25, 2013
Nice writting style..... Each paragraph talks about Achebe's quality garnished by thoughtful proverbs he used in his works.

Good one Kenyan.

6 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by daylae(m): 5:40pm On Mar 25, 2013
worldman: Second
waste of space!

@topic: Its been wonderful to know how the whole world is mourning this legend. We even have more people now seeking to lay hands on some of his books which am one of those. No doubt he was a great man,and am proud he was nigerian and not kenyan. . lol

1 Like

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Efikman(m): 5:40pm On Mar 25, 2013
Dede1: I say shame on the so-called Nigerians who had the effrontery to doubt Achebe’s contribution to African continent.
Inotherwords, shame on the jealous Yorubas.

20 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by nacotic(m): 5:45pm On Mar 25, 2013
aiyeboy: Ok now i hear,can i now gulp ma cup of garri?
its dumb illiterates lyk u dat spoil nairaland's credibility, is it by force 2 comment? Dumb attention seeker

2 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by vanstanzy(m): 5:45pm On Mar 25, 2013
How nice!
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by mosquitoNet(m): 5:53pm On Mar 25, 2013
ROSSIKE: [size=15pt]No longer at ease, things fall apart for a man of the People[/size]

Tribute to Chinua Achebe

Updated Saturday, March 23 2013 at 11:40 GMT+3

By Peter Nguli

If a child washed his hands he could eat with kings. But Eneke the bird says that since men have learnt to shoot without missing, he has learnt to fly without perching. Those are the words of Chinua Achebe.

The death of Chinua Achebe is a great loss for the African continent. Achebe was famous as much for what he represented as for what he had written – an emblem of a continent finding its voice. Every child in Africa grew up with Achebe.

It's only fair to pay tributes in a novel compilation for Achebe and other great African writers. When you are no longer at ease, things fall apart for a man of the people along the anthills of the savanna.

The leopard got his claws because Chike and the river ran across the bridge in the river between and shouted, 'Weep not child', because you brought betrayal in the city but don't despair because the beautiful ones are not yet born. Chinua Achebe, you shaped my literature and command of the English language. I offer you a grain of wheat.

I remember the proverbs that you taught us because as you said, among the Igbo the art of conversation is regarded very highly, and proverbs are the palm-oil with which words are eaten.

I say this because whenever you see a toad jumping in broad daylight, then know that something is after its life. And when a mad man walks naked, it is his kinsmen who feel shame, not himself.

You were brave and it is praiseworthy to be brave and fearless, but sometimes it is better to be a coward. Because we often stand in the compound of a coward to point at the ruins where a brave man used to live.

For when a handshake goes below the elbow, then know that it has turned into something else. Those whose palm kernels were cracked for them by a benevolent spirit should not forget to be humble. You were humble enough professor Achebe. As I stare at your death coffin, the eye is not harmed by sleep. You said that he who has people is richer than he who has money.

So if you want to eat a toad you look for a fat and juicy one. You said that an old woman is always uneasy when dry bones are mentioned in a proverb. So be at ease because you said that if you don't like someone's story, write your own.

To me, being an intellectual doesn't mean knowing about intellectual issues; it means taking pleasure in them. For when the moon is shining the cripple becomes hungry for a walk. There is no story that is not true. Perhaps down in his heart, Okonkwo was not a cruel man. But his whole life was dominated by fear, the fear of failure and of weakness.

Chinua Achebe, you are still alive and I wish you long life. You will never die because we and our future generations will read your works for ever.

Do not despair. I know you will not despair. You have a manly and a proud heart. A proud heart can survive a general failure because such a failure does not prick its pride. It is more difficult and more bitter when a man fails alone.

Otherwise, the lizard that jumped from the high Iroko tree said he would praise himself if no one else did. When suffering knocks at your door and you say there is no seat for him, he tells you not to worry because he has brought his own stool. Rest in peace Chinua Achebe.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000079965&story_title=Kenya-No-longer-at-ease,-things-fall-apart-for-a-man-of-the-People

....../--)
...../..../
..../ ....(_____ _
[L]........((_|___))
[I].........((_ |____))
[K]........((_| ___))
[E]--....((_|__ ))

11 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:54pm On Mar 25, 2013
Another brilliant laureate in the making. smiley
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:54pm On Mar 25, 2013
Efikman: Inotherwords, shame on the jealous Yorubas.

1 Like

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by vanstanzy(m): 5:56pm On Mar 25, 2013
Dede1: I say shame on the so-called Nigerians who had the effrontery to doubt Achebe’s contribution to African continent.
Yeah, shame to ... U know who?*Grinning!*
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:05pm On Mar 25, 2013
[size=18pt]Chinua Achebe was simply Africa answer to William Shakespear.

His originality in literature was unparalleled on the continent and a masterpiece to the World.[/size]

17 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by ifedun2: 6:06pm On Mar 25, 2013
Beautiful piece,Rossike.R.I.P Prof.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by searchcorp(m): 6:08pm On Mar 25, 2013
Our children will read blogs.....

I just pray to God that the bloggers of our generation will even if in the slightest way be as articulate as Chinua Achebe was and forever will be.

2 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by ProfessorPeter(m): 6:10pm On Mar 25, 2013
I wished there was a country, Biafra or Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Zonacom(m): 6:16pm On Mar 25, 2013
Achebe wrote his memoir of the civil war. In his words, i say to you haters: 'If you dont like achebe's memoir, write yours'. Cant you guys just see that your envious criticisms cant remove anything from achebe's achievement? You ask what his contributions were to nigeria, was he the governor of your state or the president of your country? As a writer, he brought out not just nigeria but the whole africa the way it is to the world and you guys sit before your monitor and type rubish. HATING IS A DISEASE. PLS STOP HATING

24 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

President Buhari Departs Abuja For Maiduguri, To Attend APC Presidential Rally / Arewa Boys: Why People Should Stop Posting Those Pictures / Osun APC Primaries: Stop Oyetola’s Impunity - Aggrieved Aspirants Tell Adamu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.