Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,640 members, 7,801,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:41 AM

Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? (11194 Views)

Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) / Are You Comfortable In Your Place Of Worship?Read this photo inside / Seun We Want A Pagan Traditionalist Mod On The Religious Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by gunners160(m): 8:50pm On Mar 26, 2013
I was chattin wit a frnd 2day nd i asked her hw is she preparin 4 easter only 4 her 2 tell me dat she dnt celebrate easter i asked her y she told me dat it is a pagan way of worship nd nt biblical. pls is easter celebration nt biblical because i am confuse oooooo
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:10pm On Mar 27, 2013
gunners160: I was chattin wit a frnd 2day nd i asked her hw is she preparin 4 easter only 4 her 2 tell me dat she dnt celebrate easter i asked her y she told me dat it is a pagan way of worship nd nt biblical. pls is easter celebration nt biblical because i am confuse oooooo
the question you should have asked her is: DID JESUS THE SON OF GOD RISE FROM THE DEAD
If he did, IS IT WORTH CELEBRATING
That's all.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by rabzy: 5:34pm On Mar 27, 2013
Ubenedictus: the question you should have asked her is: DID JESUS THE SON OF GOD RISE FROM THE DEAD
If he did, IS IT WORTH CELEBRATING
That's all.

A good question for you also is, did the Christ ask you to celebrate his resurrection? why don't people stick to the scriptures and stop creating carnivals no scripture asked them to do.
why dont you do some research but you can start with this

“There is no indication of the observance of the Easter festival in the New Testament,” states The Encyclopædia Britannica. How did Easter get started? It is rooted in pagan worship. While this holiday is supposed to commemorate Jesus’ resurrection, the customs associated with the Easter season are not Christian. For instance, concerning the popular “Easter bunny,” (you can see them in most easter cards)The Catholic Encyclopedia says: “The rabbit is a pagan symbol and has always been an emblem of fertility.

2 Likes

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by rabzy: 5:45pm On Mar 27, 2013
Let me tell you a little bit more of the God of easter.

Springtime was sacred to the sex worshipers of Phoenicia. Their fertility goddess, Astarte, or Ishtar (Aphrodite to the Greeks), had as her symbols the egg and the hare. She had an insatiable thirst for blood and immoral sex. Her statues variously depicted her as having rudely exaggerated sex organs or with an egg in her hand and a rabbit at her side. Sacred prostitution was part of her cult. In Canaan, the sex goddess was styled the wife of Baal. She was honored by drunken sex orgies, the worshipers believing that their sexual intercourse helped to bring about the full awakening and mating of Baal with his wife. According to the book Recent Discoveries in Bible Lands, “in no country has so relatively great a number of figurines of the naked goddess of fertility, some distinctly obscene, been found.”

pay attention to the bolded and then go outside and get yourself an easter card and watch out for those eggs and rabbits(i mean the imported ones, not the ones done by a friend in his room). of course am sure you did not miss the similarity of ishtar and easter, then check out the rabbit and eggs then maybe we can now reason on whether it easter is pagan or christian.

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Mar 27, 2013
^^^ thank you
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Mar 27, 2013
100% Pagan

2 Likes

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by gunners160(m): 7:20am On Mar 29, 2013
rabzy:

A good question for you also is, did the Christ ask you to celebrate his resurrection? why don't people stick to the scriptures and stop creating carnivals no scripture asked them to do.

“There is no indication of the observance of the Easter festival in the New Testament,” states The Encyclopædia Britannica. How did Easter get started? It is rooted in pagan worship. While this holiday is supposed to commemorate Jesus’ resurrection, the customs associated with the Easter season are not Christian. For instance, concerning the popular “Easter bunny,” (you can see them in most easter cards)The Catholic Encyclopedia says: “The rabbit is a pagan symbol and has always been an emblem of fertility.
hmm me i did nt knw all dis while ooo i was naive nd i thought it was rite so i joined dem but my question nw is y are people still celebratin it since it is apagan way of worship
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by gunners160(m): 7:28am On Mar 29, 2013
rabzy: Let me tell you a little bit more of the God of easter.

Springtime was sacred to the sex worshipers of Phoenicia. Their fertility goddess, Astarte, or Ishtar (Aphrodite to the Greeks), had as her symbols the egg and the hare. She had an insatiable thirst for blood and immoral sex. Her statues variously depicted her as having rudely exaggerated sex organs or with an egg in her hand and a rabbit at her side. Sacred prostitution was part of her cult. In Canaan, the sex goddess was styled the wife of Baal. She was honored by drunken sex orgies, the worshipers believing that their sexual intercourse helped to bring about the full awakening and mating of Baal with his wife. According to the book Recent Discoveries in Bible Lands, “in no country has so relatively great a number of figurines of the naked goddess of fertility, some distinctly obscene, been found.”

pay attention to the bolded and then go outside and get yourself an easter card and watch out for those eggs and rabbits(i mean the imported ones, not the ones done by a friend in his room). of course am sure you did not miss the similarity of ishtar and easter, then check out the rabbit and eggs then maybe we can now reason on whether it easter is pagan or christian.

me i did nt knw abt all those signs nd symbols u mentioned above but thank u i wuld try nd get 1 but y is it dat most religious teachers dnt preach against it because i culd remenber vividly durin my sunday schs we were told abt d wise men dat visited christ d importace and significsnce of easter etc but i hv neva had of anybody who preached against it.dis is even my 1st time of hearin sumthin lyke dis
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Nobody: 8:43am On Mar 29, 2013
^^^ They will never preach against it cos they are wolves in sheep's clothing masquerading themselves as men of righteousness. They represent the catholic church-THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS- that has given birth to these false churches and false doctrines.

2 Likes

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by italo: 12:40pm On Mar 29, 2013
gunners160: I was chattin wit a frnd 2day nd i asked her hw is she preparin 4 easter only 4 her 2 tell me dat she dnt celebrate easter i asked her y she told me dat it is a pagan way of worship nd nt biblical. pls is easter celebration nt biblical because i am confuse oooooo

Here are questions I would like you to ask this "FRIEND" of yours.

1. This idea that if something is not explicitly stated in the Bible, it is a sin... Is it biblical? Is there anywhere the Bible says that anything that is not in the Bible is a sin?

2. Is there anywhere that the Bible mentions "BIBLE" or advises Christians to compile anything called Bible or even read it? If there is no verse that says so, then going my her manner of reasoning, the Bible is sinful and pagan.

Tell your "FRIEND" that another "FRIEND" said you should ask her these questions.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by italo: 12:53pm On Mar 29, 2013
gunners160: hmm me i did nt knw all dis while ooo i was naive nd i thought it was rite so i joined dem but my question nw is y are people still celebratin it since it is apagan way of worship

Luke 24:41 "And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” 42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish, 43 and he took it and ate it in their presence."

John 20:20 "After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord."

That is the account of the first Easter.

What is wrong in it if we have chosen a day out of 365 to be OVERJOYED and AMAZED because we know that the Lord has risen and conquered death?

What could be the sin in that?

All these years you have been celebrating Easter, have you ever engaged in any pagan practice?

Everytime you are told about Easter, are you told about any pagan gods or you are told about The Almighty God who took human flesh in Jesus, died but rose on the third day?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Mar 29, 2013
^
*SUSPECTED PAGAN IGNORED*
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 10:52pm On Mar 29, 2013
italo:

Here are questions I would like you to ask this "FRIEND" of yours.

1. This idea that if something is not explicitly stated in the Bible, it is a sin... Is it biblical? Is there anywhere the Bible says that anything that is not in the Bible is a sin?

2. Is there anywhere that the Bible mentions "BIBLE" or advises Christians to compile anything called Bible or even read it? If there is no verse that says so, then going my her manner of reasoning, the Bible is sinful and pagan.

Tell your "FRIEND" that another "FRIEND" said you should ask her these questions.

Italo, can you recall what happened when Uzzah and his brother Ahio led the wagon carrying the ark of the covenant from their house when David wanted it brought to Jerusalem?
When the bulls pulling the wagon nearly caused an upset, Uzzah reached out and grabbed hold to steady the Ark, for which God struck him dead on the spot.
At first, King David saw nothing wrong with the use of a more advanced technique then (the Wagon) to carry the Ark, rather than using the authorized means - for Kohathite Levites to carry it with the poles on their shoulders as God had directed. God's anger would not have been incurred if he had done the right thing. - Ex 25:13, 14; Nu 7:9. Remember, the bible did not specifically say: "thou shall not use the wagon" or "Uzzah should never prevent the Ark from falling".

Notwithstanding Uzzah's presumably good intentions to prevent the Ark from falling, he was judged as acting in "error." (2Sa 6:7) This was because deliberate disobedience was involved. God had instructed that under no circumstances was the Ark to be touched by unauthorized persons. (Nu 4:15, 19, 20)

What God wanted his worshipers to do concerning the death of his son was stated explicitly in the Bible. Jesus had even demonstrated this with his disciples a night before his death, and commanded as follows: "... this do in remembrance of me" - Luke 22:19.
When a clear-cut instruction is deliberately overstepped, it is a sin. When proper things that needs to be done are deliberately ignored, it is a sin. "So whoever knows what is good to do and does not do it is guilty of sin. - James 4:17 NET.

5 Likes

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 11:21pm On Mar 29, 2013
italo:

Luke 24:41 "And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” 42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish, 43 and he took it and ate it in their presence."

John 20:20 "After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord."

That is the account of the first Easter.

What is wrong in it if we have chosen a day out of 365 to be OVERJOYED and AMAZED because we know that the Lord has risen and conquered death?

What could be the sin in that?

All these years you have been celebrating Easter, have you ever engaged in any pagan practice?

Everytime you are told about Easter, are you told about any pagan gods or you are told about The Almighty God who took human flesh in Jesus, died but rose on the third day?

Read 1cor. 11:23-26 and see how Paul and other first century christians celebrated Christ's death. Judge for yourself if they diluted what they received from their master.
There is no gain in trying to squeeze the scriptures (Luke 24:41-43 & John 20:20) to fit into paganic mould. The bible says the two have nothing in common. rabzy is quite right about Easter, it's of pagans.

What Christ commanded us to do in remembrance of him is simple and explicit. The early Christians followed his example. Are you saying Christ and his early disciples were ignorant of how best his death could have been celebrated?

2 Likes

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by italo: 5:29am On Mar 30, 2013
Freksy:
Italo, can you recall what happened when Uzzah and his brother Ahio led the wagon carrying the ark of the covenant from their house when David wanted it brought to Jerusalem?
When the bulls pulling the wagon nearly caused an upset, Uzzah reached out and grabbed hold to steady the Ark, for which God struck him dead on the spot.
At first, King David saw nothing wrong with the use of a more advanced technique then (the Wagon) to carry the Ark, rather than using the authorized means - for Kohathite Levites to carry it with the poles on their shoulders as God had directed. God's anger would not have been incurred if he had done the right thing. - Ex 25:13, 14; Nu 7:9. Remember, the bible did not specifically say: "thou shall not use the wagon" or "Uzzah should never prevent the Ark from falling".

Notwithstanding Uzzah's presumably good intentions to prevent the Ark from falling, he was judged as acting in "error." (2Sa 6:7) This was because deliberate disobedience was involved. God had instructed that under no circumstances was the Ark to be touched by unauthorized persons. (Nu 4:15, 19, 20)

What God wanted his worshipers to do concerning the death of his son was stated explicitly in the Bible. Jesus had even demonstrated this with his disciples a night before his death, and commanded as follows: "... this do in remembrance of me" - Luke 22:19.
When a clear-cut instruction is deliberately overstepped, it is a sin. When proper things that needs to be done are deliberately ignored, it is a sin. "So whoever knows what is good to do and does not do it is guilty of sin. - James 4:17 NET.

It must have been a sin to compile the Bible and even to read it, then. Jesus never commanded that. He never even mentioned the word "Bible."

Your reasoning is very poor, sorry to say.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by italo: 5:32am On Mar 30, 2013
Freksy:

Read 1cor. 11:23-26 and see how Paul and other first century christians celebrated Christ's death. Judge for yourself if they diluted what they received from their master.
There is no gain in trying to squeeze the scriptures (Luke 24:41-43 & John 20:20) to fit into paganic mould. The bible says the two have nothing in common. rabzy is quite right about Easter, it's of pagans.

What Christ commanded us to do in remembrance of him is simple and explicit. The early Christians followed his example. Are you saying Christ and his early disciples were ignorant of how best his death could have been celebrated?

You are so eager to condemn that you do not even know that we are celebration RESURRECTION, not DEATH.

Anyway, the Bible would be pagan too, since non of the apostles carried it around and it only came into existence hundreds of years after Jesus and the apostles had died.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:00am On Mar 30, 2013
Freksy:

that means using a microphone in the church is sinful too! According to your logic.
And take note uzzah died not for "overstepping" as you claim but by "disobeying". The law say don't touch, he touched. On the otherhand the bible says " where the is no law, there is no sin". You can't accuse someone of sin becos he is celebrating the ressurection of Christ unless you can show the law or principle and expressly say or imply "don't celebrate the ressurection of christ".

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 9:03am On Mar 30, 2013
Ubenedictus: that means using a microphone in the church is sinful too! According to your logic.
And take note uzzah died not for "overstepping" as you claim but by "disobeying". The law say don't touch, he touched. On the otherhand the bible says " where the is no law, there is no sin". You can't accuse someone of sin becos he is celebrating the ressurection of Christ unless you can show the law or principle and expressly say or imply "don't celebrate the ressurection of christ".

You guys are nt celebrating the ressurection christ...you are swimming in the pagan celebration of easter which Jesus himself never instituted.....don't u get it??......

Must you guys always tie Jesus to paganism......can't you leave Jesus alone??........leave him alone and hug paganism.....choose one and leave the other.....angry........

What is Jesus' business with easter??.....angry

3 Likes

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Anyigala(m): 10:03am On Mar 30, 2013
You see my friend, you can never forget the cross, and in Holy week leading to Easter Sunday, we remeber the agony Christ went through for our salvation and on Easter Sunday , we celebrate His resurection which is the only reason we are Christians today. If Christ did not rise on the 3rd day, their will be NO hope of salvation for mankind. Are you saying that this is not worth celebrating?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Anyigala(m): 10:26am On Mar 30, 2013
Did Christ ask anyone to write a bible?

Christ read the old testament and didn't remotely instruct or ask anyone to write another bible for that matter. 300 yrs after His acension, their was no book called new testament and yet there were millions of Christians then.

rabzy:

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 10:28am On Mar 30, 2013
Anyigala: You see my friend, you can never forget the cross, and in Holy week leading to Easter Sunday, we remeber the agony Christ went through for our salvation and on Easter Sunday , we celebrate His resurection which is the only reason we are Christians today. If Christ did not rise on the 3rd day, their will be NO hope of salvation for mankind. Are you saying that this is not worth celebrating?

Did Christ ask u to??.....so you now know the importance of Christ ressurection more than the Christ that died....abi??...besides easter is pagan...........its the name of a goddess.....

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:35am On Mar 30, 2013
ijawkid:

You guys are nt celebrating the ressurection christ...you are swimming in the pagan celebration of easter which Jesus himself never instituted.....don't u get it??......

Must you guys always tie Jesus to paganism......can't you leave Jesus alone??........leave him alone and hug paganism.....choose one and leave the other.....angry........

now my dear tell me the name of the christian community close to you that preach any thing apart from jesus arose on easter? You can't go about making such claims unless u can prove that a particular christian community preach about a pagan god during easter.
Jesus business with easter is that jesus rose again from d dead.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by gunners160(m): 10:56am On Mar 30, 2013
I hv learnt alot 4rm all d post but 2 b sincere i nid more clarification because i am still confuse o
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 11:18am On Mar 30, 2013
Ubenedictus: now my dear tell me the name of the christian community close to you that preach any thing apart from jesus arose on easter? You can't go about making such claims unless u can prove that a particular christian community preach about a pagan god during easter.
Jesus business with easter is that jesus rose again from d dead.

Was Jesus raised on easter day??..........what is easter??.......do you need me to define it for u??.............what has EAOSTRE got to do with the holy one of God??......smh....!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 2:50pm On Mar 30, 2013
^^^
My bros how far? It's pretty long.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 2:58pm On Mar 30, 2013
Freksy: ^^^
My bros how far? It's pretty long.

I'm fine bro......its been really long....we never see your brake lights for a while.....hw u dey??
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Mar 30, 2013
na jehovah's withnesses una dey argue with? Hmmmmm una get time ooooo.

These people just want to take over this world. But unfortunately for them, not so many people go with their teaching. And till this world will end, they will never be the dominant force they want to be. It is so fortunate for the world that it is this way.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by gunners160(m): 3:05pm On Mar 30, 2013
souldust: na jehovah's withnesses una dey argue with? Hmmmmm una get time ooooo
nt only jehovah witness o dat dnt velief in easter celebration sum oda churches are also against it such as d apostolic church etc
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Mar 30, 2013
gunners160: nt only jehovah witness o dat dnt velief in easter celebration sum oda churches are also against it such as d apostolic church etc
if other churches are not celebrating it, then it is becos it is their choice and they just do not see it as really important to celebrate it and not the pegan card the pesky withnesses are playing.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 3:27pm On Mar 30, 2013
Ubenedictus: that means using a microphone in the church is sinful too! According to your logic.

I mentioned two people - David and Uzzah. David overstepped the bound set for him regarding method of ark transport. Uzzah acted in "error", see 2sa. 6:7 - KJV. They both disobeyed, irrespective of the word we use. Disobedience is encompassing, i.e, is an all-embressing word. One can disobey by overstepping - by going beyond what is allowed.

Majorly, we learn through object lessons from bible stories, expressly stated laws and By bible principles. We can sin either by disobeying the laws or violating bible principles.
Using the microphone in worship is not a sin, but if a bible principle is violated regarding its use, it can be sinful.

See the following and tell if they are laws, if they are not, should we discard the message therein?
"But in vain they do worship me , teaching for doctrines the commandments of men" Matt. 15:9

"As I urged you when I was leaving for Macedonia, stay on in Ephesus to instruct certain people not to spread false teachings," 1Tim.1:3 NET

"If someone spreads false teachings and does not agree with sound words (that is, those of our Lord Jesus Christ)...he is conceited and understands nothing, but has an unhealthy interest in controversies and verbal disputes. 1Tim. 6:3 NET

"Prove all things ; hold fast that which is good" 1Thess. 5:21 - KJV. "But examine all things; hold fast to what is good". - NET.

"Now these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of the mind, examining the Scriptures daily, whether these things were so". Acts 17:11 WEB

Sincerely examine Easter, with its associated rites as 1Thess 5:21 & Acts 17:11 encourage us to, and see if it would have Christ's and Paul's approval if presented to them. Recall that they both said when they are off the earthly scene, there will be infiltration of filth into the clear teachings of Christ. It matters to God greatly what we teach, believe and do. Why did Jesus never command his disciples to celebrate his resurrection but death? Could it be he forgot it. Ok, since he forgot, why did his early disciples not remember it each time they commemorated his death? could it be they too forgot it. Oh I see, our generation of worshipers are wiser and more spirit-directed...lol.

Ubenedictus and italo, have you for once examined Easter celebration to ascertain its root? If you have done so and your findings prove Easter celebration is not pagan-related, but God-commanded, hold fast to it with undisturbed conscience. - 1Thess 5:21 & Acts 17:11

3 Likes

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Mar 30, 2013
@fresky when christians go to church on easter, they go to hear the word of God which is most time centered on the message of th resurection. In the end, they get a deeper understanding of the mystery of the resurection and their faith is lifted from glory to glory.

They also praise God for the making it possible that christ resurected, a resurection that guarantees that all those who sleep in christ will not die but live.

Tell me whats wrong with the above. Why dont you look critically and tell me with all honesty if there is any pegan thing practiced in the above that i have explained. HONESTY ISNT GOING TO KILL. That you are honest in this case doest mean you have broken your allegiance to the watch tower society and so i dont think your society should disfellowship you if thats what you are afraid of.

2 Likes

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 4:41pm On Mar 30, 2013
ijawkid:

You don start again angry why force someone to worship other gods? If the man says he is celebrating Christ resurrection, why accuse him of worshiping something else. Abi you saw the man in sango worshipping attire sacrificing a goat to sango?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Origin Of Human Races? / The Benefits Of Praising The Lord / Will World Be A Better Place Without Jehovah Witnesses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.