Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,266 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:36 AM

Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him (61719 Views)

Wole Soyinka: "InterInventions", My New Book Will Draw Blood / Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Prize In 1986 (picture) / Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by lockheed55(m): 10:09pm On Mar 27, 2013
wole pls dont die on us o. we love you o
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by MajeOfficial: 10:10pm On Mar 27, 2013
you guys are using Wole Soyinka to fulfill and disgusting tribal fight and should be utterly ashamed. You have turned a medicine into a weapon because you don't have the humanity to do anything but destroy others. Chinua Achebe's death is only a problem on Nairaland, and now an honest man like Wole Soyinka is being used as a tool in your dehumanized filth. You're sick.

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 10:11pm On Mar 27, 2013
lockheed55: wole pls dont die on us o. we love you o
Did he say he is dying? Jeez! What were you thinking when you wrote that sentence?
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Arsenate(m): 10:11pm On Mar 27, 2013
I Like Wole Soyinka..

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by boldnbeautiful: 10:11pm On Mar 27, 2013
)Ahoy my Lord!
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 10:11pm On Mar 27, 2013
Did I just made a comment on first page? ****dancing****
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Trut(m): 10:12pm On Mar 27, 2013
YES, I KNOW 'WOLE SOYINKA' AS THE MAN WHO INVENT 'CULTISM' IN THE 'HIGHER INSTITUTION(S)'.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by madridsta007(m): 10:16pm On Mar 27, 2013
LOL... A post to unsuccessfully counter the worldwide acclaim that Chinua Achebe, The Father of African Literature is getting...

Funny enough the two literary giants were best of friends. They were a 'quartet' actually, Achebe, J.P Clarke, Christopher Okigbo and Soyinka.

It's a pity how the very hideously small minds of Nigerians have turned this to a tribal 'warfare', than what is is supposed to be- a celebration of lettered people with intellect and truth.

Small minds. Dark days are indeed encapsulating Nigeria...

8 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by adebiyikayode5: 10:17pm On Mar 27, 2013
nairaman66: This writer will take the place of Ruben Abati in Aso Villa, when Wole Soyinka becomes President come 2015. Don't doubt, in Nigeria everything is possible grin.
who go vote pesin wey no respect him maker
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by daylae(m): 10:18pm On Mar 27, 2013
good piece. . .Its annoying when some believe he has no children of his own.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by megachuks(m): 10:20pm On Mar 27, 2013
No comment yet
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by kpozite(m): 10:20pm On Mar 27, 2013
Nice write up OP, One day you will write about me.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Ferdinandu(m): 10:21pm On Mar 27, 2013
One Day Somebody will come here and write this Man's Eulogy while he is still Alive.Abeg make una allow this man Rest

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by tspun(m): 10:23pm On Mar 27, 2013
nice rit up.. E try but so many lies.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by alphaconde(m): 10:23pm On Mar 27, 2013
I don't think soyinka is a good family man. Beside he criticizes politicians whereas his kids are very active politicians.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by texazzpete(m): 10:26pm On Mar 27, 2013
alpha conde: I don't think soyinka is a good family man. Beside he criticizes politicians whereas his kids are very active politicians.

How is it your business, you thrice accursed m0r0n? Are his kids complaining?

H criticizes thieving politicians. Unless you have proof that his kids in Politics are crooked, STFU.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 10:26pm On Mar 27, 2013
Trut: YES, I KNOW 'WOLE SOYINKA' AS THE MAN WHO INVENT 'CULTISM' IN THE 'HIGHER INSTITUTION(S)'.

A cultist worthy of a Nobel Laureate award ! What has your father produced ?

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by chidexy(m): 10:28pm On Mar 27, 2013
How many kids does Soyinka have? I lost count with the litany of wives
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 10:29pm On Mar 27, 2013
Damn!! Dem white chics got him before naija women... grin

Gatts love English women - they gatts love for naija men...#LowestKey
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by yuzedo: 10:29pm On Mar 27, 2013
iamswizz: can you do north korea own?
Christ! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 10:32pm On Mar 27, 2013
alpha conde: I don't think soyinka is a good family man. Beside he criticizes politicians whereas his kids are very active politicians.

Keep the family and business separated - no one is perfect..

We all seek perfection everyday and it's unfair to critique other people's private lives...
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 10:32pm On Mar 27, 2013
All because Achebe just passed away. shocked shocked shocked shocked

We get the message, the hidden ones.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by yuzedo: 10:34pm On Mar 27, 2013
texazzpete:

How is it your business, you thrice accursed m0r0n? Are his kids complaining?

H criticizes thieving politicians. Unless you have proof that his kids in Politics are crooked, STFU.
"Thrice accursed m0r0n??!?"Fûck my life! grin grin grin
Texazz, you are the same person that called someone on twitter an "accursed imbecîle" last year, I had to favorite that shît! Lord!*tears* grin grin grin
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by platinum131(m): 10:37pm On Mar 27, 2013
Wole soyinka is good no doubt.

@op
I usually look forward to your writeups

But on this one how childish can you get?

Why now?.

How pathetic.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by babymama3: 10:49pm On Mar 27, 2013
So he is a womanizer ?
Oma se o
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by babymama3: 10:50pm On Mar 27, 2013
Ravenwolf: All because Achebe just passed away. shocked shocked shocked shocked

[size=18pt]Nnaa na wa o

Please you folks should stop all this front page Soyinka news
Na so una carry people put for front page,a few months later,obituary
Make unu no kill am for me o[/size]
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Vansnickers: 10:51pm On Mar 27, 2013
iamswizz: hmmmmm.

Too long to read..

Most popular Nigerian? He wasnt even half as popular as Achebe.

Why must you Tribalize everything. If I call you an Animal now; you will say I'm wicked.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Ishilove: 10:54pm On Mar 27, 2013
yuzedo:
"Thrice accursed m0r0n??!?"Fûck my life! grin grin grin
Texazz, you are the same person that called someone on twitter an "accursed imbecîle" last year, I had to favorite that shît! Lord!*tears* grin grin grin
Dicck A, have you forgotten what we discussed about your language...? Apalling!! angry

That aside, Tex is hilarious. I used to follow him on NL, but I had to unfollow his black asss because the guy seems to be permanently stationed in the phone and technology section...boring!!! cheesy

However, posts like the one you quoted reminds me of why I once followed him cheesy grin
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 11:02pm On Mar 27, 2013
Ìyániwúrà123: -INTRODUCTION:

Many of us know him as the first African and only Nigerian ever to win the most prestigious prize for Literature. Yes, he is Africa’s most successful playwright and dramatist (and perhaps, the world’s most famous Nigerian). But is that all to him? Iyaniwura examines Professor Oluwole Babatunde ‘Wole’ Akinwande Soyinka in the most exciting ways, and brings it directly to your doorstep or maybe to your iPad…lol! All for your reading pleasure. Wanna know more than just his Nobel Prize? Why he was locked up for armed robbery? His very rare pictures? His days as a bricklayer, nightclub bouncer and bartender? Why he told Fela, his cousin, to shut up? His hatred for Nollywood? Why he cannot be the President of Nigeria? Why he was divorced when he received the Nobel? His religion? His three wives? What is his link with Iya Awero, the popular Yoruba actress? Why he refused to prostrate before his father’s friends? And lots more! Sit back, relax and enjoy! #winks!

-EARLY DAYS:

-Okay, before any thing, let us dissect his names: SOYINKA. In full, it is actually OSO-YI-N-KA, or OSO-YI-MI-KA, or OSHO-YI-N-KA, or OSHO-YI-MI-KA. It all depends on your dialect. It ordinarily means ‘I am surrounded by wizards (or sorcerers).’ A deeper and more precise meaning will be ‘I am protected by a circle or group of powerful wizards or shamans.’ OLUWOLE means ‘God has come home while AKINWANDE (AKIN-WA-MI-DELE) means ‘Bravery/courage/valour has trailed me home.’ BABATUNDE is for children who bear a semblance to their ancestors, usually the grandparents, it loosely means ‘Father has returned again.’

-A precocious genius, ‘intellectually omnivorous and hyperenergetic child’, and a voracious reader, Wole Soyinka started reading when he was barely three. One fateful day, he took some of the books in his father’s collections, followed his older sister’s path to the school, sat by her side on the bench and declared to the teacher he wanted to learn how to read the books he brought. The bemused teacher who remains a mentor put down his name in the class register and that was it. A legend was born. In his autobiographical memoir, Ake: The Years of Childhood , he narrated his growing up. In 1982, the book was selected as one of the 12 best books by the New York Times Book Review. He explained thus in an interview:

”I had a sister who was only a year and two months — a year and three months older than I was. And when she began school she made my life miserable, because she put on her school uniform and sort of looked at me with a kind of condescension, saying, “I’m going to school. You have to stay behind.” It was infuriating! And so one day — and then of course we lived in the parsonage, which meant that there were some schools, missionary schools, sort of, whose playgrounds abutted the lawn in front of our house. So I would watch these school kids also coming out during their break to play, and then I could see also through the school room windows, not far from us, these pupils bent over their books and their papers. I mean, it was like a conspiracy. So one day I’d had enough and I followed my sister to school. I picked up books from my father’s desk. For me it was the most natural thing. If you were going to school you had to have books. So I picked up my father’s books, which I couldn’t read, and the next thing my sister knew was that I was behind her going to school. And even she was still too young to go to school by herself, so one of the older child relations used to take her to school. And when they turned around, they saw me and she screamed at me, “What are you doing here? What do you want? Go back!” “No! Today school day.” A school teacher I remember, Mr.Olagbaju[/size][size=8pt], came out to see what the fracas was about. And he looked at me and he said, “But, Wole, you’re not yet old enough to come to school.” And I said, “Well, I’m ready.” And just decided to indulge me, felt I would get fed up with it after the first day. But no. So I actually began school at two-and-a-half years of age.”

-Extremely inquisitive, rascally and witty as a child, he will be 80 next year. Adults warned themselves: ‘He will kill you with his questions.’ Born into an Ijebu-Remo family on a Friday, the 13th of July, 1934 (you know what some people say about Friday the 13th?) in a village along the rocky banks of the Ogun River in Isara-Remo, he was the second child of Samuel Ayodele Soyinka (a teacher, headmaster and supervisor whom he calls S.A or Essay, at an Anglican school was from Ijebu-Isara) and Grace Eniola Soyinka from Abeokuta, an activist and stern shopkeeper who spared no debtor.

-Papa was from the Ijebu side of Ogun State while Mama was from the Egba section. That explains why Soyinka calls himself an ‘Ìjègbá man’. His mother and Olufunmilayo Ransome-Kuti (Wole Soyinka and Fela are cousins) organized the Egba Women’s Union and led a protest against the Alake of Egbaland calling for the abolition of taxes extorted from the tradeswomen by the Native Police Administration (akoda). By the time the dust settled, the Alake of Egbaland, Oba Ademola II, had to leave the throne. Activism runs in Soyinka’s family. While Fela’s mother was the President of the Abeokuta Ladies Club (ALC), his mother was a committed member.

-Soyinka’s rebelliousness and non-conformist attitude have always manifested right from when he was very young. In Ake, a non-fictional account of his childhood, he talks of a most amazing event. It was at the Palace of the Odemo of Isara, and a very tiny Soyinka was in the company of his fathers friends, some of the most influential people in the community. One of the titled elders bellowed at the little Soyinka to prostrate before them as culture demanded. The next thing that came out of the little boy’s mouth was a thunderbolt: ‘If I don’t prostrate myself to God, why should I prostrate to you?’. He also hated the communal sleeping mat he shared with his siblings and cousins as a youngster: ”I hated’ it (communal mat) with a vehemence that went beyond the fact that some of the others, much older than I, still continued to wet the mat. I simply preferred to be on my own.’ The troublesome dude later got his own mat, enjoying it in his father’s room, to the chagrin of his mother, whom he referred to as the ‘Wild Christian’ and ‘Terror’, who would later spoil his mat luck…lol!

LOVE, MARRIAGE & CHILDREN

Soyinka has been married thrice, and divorced twice. His first marriage, a short one, was to Barbara Skeath. (a writer of English courses, Institute of Adult Studies, University College, Nairobi, Kenya, now late, died 2000s), an English lady who gave birth to his son OLAOKUN, his first child and son (now a medical doctor), in November 1957. Barbara and Soyinka met while he was at Leeds, where he also later did his postgraduate studies and they had both finished with a Second Class Upper Division.

-DR. NEIL OLAOKUN OLUWOLE IMODOYE SOYINKA is the Honourable Commissioner of Health, Ogun State and was a Health Promotion Officer with WHO (2008-2011). A cardiologist, he was sworn in in July 2011 by Governor Ibikunle ‘Filagogoro’ Amosun…lol! Dr. Olaokun, also an activist and NADECO member, is a split image of his dad, just that he’s a lot fairer (he also took his voice 99.9%).

He also attended GCI and is married to Titilola Atinuke Alexandrah Shoneyin (Lola Shoneyin, a great writer and poet) with four kids (sorry ladies…lol). He used to enjoy chess with his son until he locked up the chess board in 1971 for some ‘complicated reasons.’ He taught his son how to play chess. Speaking on the HIV/AIDS epidemic, Dr. Olaokun said: “My message to those people living with the epidemic is that I come from a background where I have worked in this area, I have been involved in the national response in Melbourne and I have also worked in Abuja; therefore, they can be rest assured that not only do I understand the issue, I am not going to ignore them.

-A lover of books, his second wife was a librarian (worked at UI and Olabisi Onabanjo University until her retirement after 36 years service) and they met at UI where she was admitted to read Arts. In 1963, he married former Miss Laide Idowu from Ijebu-Omu (where she was made the Iyalode). Their wedding was well-attended and guests included the late Bola Ige and wife, Atinuke Ige, Muyiwa and Bolanle Awe and Peggy Harper. They would later divorce in 1985. However, their court wedding after Moremi’s birth had just two witnesses: Fehintola Sonuga being one of them and Dapo Adelugba was the other. When Soyinka left for OAU to work, he left Laide with the kids back in Ibadan. She stated that the late Chinua Achebe also met his sweetheart, Christiana (her colleague) in UI, just about the time Soyinka was ‘toasting’ her (Laide). His imprisonment during the war had its toll on their union as it fell on her alone to take care of the whole house. According to Professor Olumide Awe, a friend and fellow Pyrate, the credit for his meteoric rise in the literary world should go to Laide, the ‘unsung heroine’.

Soyinka later dedicated his book, The Man Died to her, with the words: ‘To ‘Laide who rejected compromise and demanded justice.’

They had four children, three females and one male: -MOREMI: Born February 1963, their first daughter (later Mrs. Moremi Soyinka-Onijala) attended Obafemi Awolowo University. She would later become Senior Special Assistant to President Olusegun Obasanjo on Migration and Humanitarian Affairs and Senior Special Adviser on Youth Migration to President Goodluck Jonathan when he was Vice President.

IYETADE (later Mrs. Iyetade Apampa) who attended UI.

-PEYIBOMI (now Professor Peyibomi ‘Peyi’ Soyinka-Airewele )(highly intelligent, reportedly made a First Class in International Relations at OAU and also writes like her dad. Happily married with kids, she reportedly bagged her PhD at 23 and was writing her own plays in Primary Four. She was an Associate Professor of International/African Politics, Ithaca College, New York. Watch out for another Nigerian Nobel Laureate!)

-ILEMAKIN (‘MAKIN): Born 1971. Also a graduate of the OAU too. A very good pal of Femi Kuti, he wrote for journals across the world.

-His third and present wife (see pictures) is Mrs. Adefolake Soyinka (nee Doherty), his former student at OAU who teases him as a ‘visiting husband’ and he describes himself as an ‘absentee father.’ They married in 1989 and have three children. He dedicated his memoir, You Must Set Forth At Dawn to her.

Wole Soyinka with his daughter, Moremi in 1963 and with the same beautiful woman in the 2000s. #OmoOkinPeDagbaO,KOlohunMaPomoFolomo.

Wole Soyinka’s first son and child, Dr. Neil Olaokun Oluwole Imodoye Soyinka. Can you spot any resemblance?

Lola Shoneyin with Wole Soyinka’s grandchildren in Abuja, Nigeria.

Read More http://iyaniwura.com/things-you-never-knew-about-wole-soyinka-africas-first-nobel-laureate-in-literature/

That is family right there grin grin grin grin
Ahoy to your bones CB.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by babymama3: 11:05pm On Mar 27, 2013
Why is the son looking so angry?
lord have mercy
See how all these people will be shouting Africa Africa wearing danshiki and shouting black power but they will be marrying and incubating white women under the sheets.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 11:08pm On Mar 27, 2013

So the world should stand still because Ashebe died ? What kind of mo'r'on are you ?

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Iyaniwura123: 11:08pm On Mar 27, 2013
It is really funny when some people think this was rushed up and posted in a few hours because of Achebe's demise. Very funny, that's how I can describe your comment.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Baba Olowo d Long Prick (a comedy Story For All My Niggars) / Rhoda / African Nerd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.