Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,100 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:09 PM

40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! (15164 Views)

Ex-governor, Fashola Denies Fathering Twins With Government Worker / Troops Recover Eight More Towns In Yobe, Adamawa. Pictures. / Militants Kill Seven In Raids On Northern Towns- BBC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by youngies(m): 6:45am On Mar 27, 2013
It is 98 years ago that Mary Slessor, the Scottish missionary to Nigeria, died. She was reputed to have led crusades that stopped some societies from killing twin babies at birth. Such births were taboo and not tolerated.

While her history remains alive, as her remains were interred in Nigeria, it seems some communities in Nigeria, even today, are out to rubbish and undo what Slessor did.

It might shock you to hear that there is still a community that still sees twins or multiple birth as abomination. But it is more confounding to find that the communities are in the nation’s Federal Capital Territory (FCT). How awful that even within the world’s newest city, with all the trappings of modernity, the preponderance of religions and inclinations that abhor killing of human beings, twin kids are still sacrificed to the gods of tradition that don’t want them alive like the biblical story of the notions that passed their babies through the fire of Molech.

Imagine yourself visiting a community called Basa Komo in the FCT and all of a sudden, you come face-to-face with a crowd. You move closer and are confronted with a helpless infant, struggling to set himself loose from the grip of community leaders, who want to bury him alive.

This scenario is not from a Nollywood film or a best selling novel. It happens today in a community in the nation’s FCT. In Bassa Komo, it is abomination to be born a twin, or a mother dies within three months of a baby’s birth, or a child grows upper teeth first or is born with defect. These are all faults of the baby or babies involved.

All these, to the people of the community, are signs that such babies were fabricated in the factory of the devil and are themselves evil. Such offences by the evil baby or babies are punishable by burial alive.

Such bizarre drama was witnessed by a couple, Olusola Stevens and his wife. Stevens is the North Central Director of the Christian Missionary Foundation (CMF). He has been in missionary work for 22 years. In all his years as a missionary, nothing prepared him and his wife, Chinwe, for the trauma of hearing or witnessing the practice of killing infants or burying some alive with their dead mothers even in the domain of the FCT.

Killing twins
They are considered as strange spirits and not fit to live among men. When they are delivered, they will be poisoned (the child dies gradually) or is strangulated after being forcefully taken from the mother by masquerades that women are not allowed to see. Once they are killed, an altar will be raised on the walls of their huts to worship their spirits and make sacrifices to ward them off from returning. They believe the dead children are spirits that want to come back but they are not welcome.

Mum’s death after birth
Another outrageous practice is the killing of babies whose mothers die after their birth. If a woman delivers and dies during childbirth, the child will be tied to the body of the dead mother and buried alive with her. If the nursing mother should die of any cause without weaning the baby, the baby will be accused of having strange powers that killed the mother, the penalty for this is also death. In some villages, the children may be abandoned on the grave of the dead mother while some are left unattended to in the village, leading to starvation and eventual death.

Wrong teeth child
A child that grows upper teeth first is also bound to die. The couple discovered that babies that grow the upper teeth first are also killed because they are bad omen. This is neatly done, an outsider may never know when and how unless you understand their language and pay close attention to young babies in the area.

According to Stevens, the practice is not common among the Abuja indigenes alone, “We also learnt from some other agencies that we work closely with that twins are not allowed to live in Uturu, Abia State.”

“There is also sacrificing of young children to the fertility god during planting season to have bountiful harvest that is common amongst the Bassa. They don’t physically slaughter the baby but once they pick a baby, a child that is healthy now will mysteriously die. You will hear the child cry and complain of a minor ailment and the next minute, he or she is dead. We have two children in this category, they were brought to us by their mothers so as to save them from being sacrificed by their fathers,” the rescuer couple hinted.

If a woman delivers triplets or quadruplets, they will be thrown into the Gurara River or strangled and later buried in the bush.

The couple said they learnt that Gbagyi Yama also practise killing of twins but “we are yet to rescue any child. We were to rescue a set of twins two years ago but they did not allow us. They were taken to the ancestral home and usually the babies will not return if taken there.”

The villages in these practices today are up to 40. Some of them are in Gwagwalada Area Council, more of them in Abaji, some in Kwali and part of Kuje.

“Since I live among them, we have missionaries, working in those villages. There are even natives, who are no longer comfortable with the practice after hearing the word of God and they run to tell non-native missionaries once they are about to kill twins or any other child. We tell them if you don’t want these ‘evil’ children, give them to us; we want them.”

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/bizarre-40-fct-communities-that-kill-twins/
http://channelkoos.com/index.php/news/4241-bizarre-40-fct-towns-still-kill-twins

1 Like

Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by beylinko(m): 7:09am On Mar 27, 2013
Na wa o, at this age and time? Madam mary didnt get there. Be back 2 read the story

1 Like

Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by Nobody: 7:19am On Mar 27, 2013
There's nothing ignorance can't destroy. It is a curable disease, but not when it reaches an epidemic stage. But come off it, how remote are those areas? In this jet age, I doubt such things still exist.

2 Likes

Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by Toomaxi(m): 7:28am On Mar 27, 2013
Tufiakwa! And we claimed to hv ministry of women affairs n health, pls fg look into ds immediately or Hoko Baram wil do dt fo u

1 Like

Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by YoshiMaster: 7:37am On Mar 27, 2013
youngies:
Imagine yourself visiting a community called Basa Komo in the FCT and all of a sudden, you come face-to-face with a crowd. You move closer and are confronted with a helpless infant, struggling to set himself loose from the grip of community leaders, who want to bury him alive.

So sad, but I just sat in my chair and wondered what I would really do if I saw something like that happening in front of me. I wonder if I would be brave enough to be the lone voice of reason in the face of so many unreasonable barbarians, or if I would fear for my life.

This needs to stop.

I pray every sane Nigerian that witnesses such episodes as these, ALUU beating e.t.c would have the courage to stand up to such people and end it, or at least be quick to call the police to disperse the barbarians with their big guns.

The souls of the victims are surely in Gods hands.

1 Like

Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by youngies(m): 9:07am On Mar 27, 2013
Mods, this campaign should be on the front page

1 Like

Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by bunchyproject(m): 9:24am On Mar 27, 2013
God forbid
Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by momodub: 9:38am On Mar 27, 2013
wtf
Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by Rooneyboy(m): 9:38am On Mar 27, 2013
Blood of Jesus !

Me Keh , considered as a strange spirit,
Which kind thing be this one

Thank God for my life ooo .

1 Like

Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by strangest(m): 9:39am On Mar 27, 2013
Ewwwww... God I pray for your mercies for these town..
Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by dondada1(m): 9:45am On Mar 27, 2013
::No child deserves to be killed; village or no village WTF!!!
Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by RichDad1(m): 9:48am On Mar 27, 2013
This is Barbaric. Are this people Hausas or which ethnicity or tribe?
Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by rubylee(f): 9:48am On Mar 27, 2013
may God have mercy, so this kind of things still erxist
Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by princenat(m): 9:55am On Mar 27, 2013
OMG! I only read the first instance and how Mary Slessor stopped killing of twins (I didn't witness it). This underscores the effects of ignorance in a modern age. But wait, some towns in Abuja? May God Almighty see us through.
Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by vykte(m): 9:55am On Mar 27, 2013
I BLAME GEJ
Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by akatonero(m): 9:57am On Mar 27, 2013
Really?that's too bad of them
Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by alphaconde(m): 10:00am On Mar 27, 2013
I don't know what to say that haven't been said
Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by teejayreal(m): 10:03am On Mar 27, 2013
So this old tradition stil dey sha, may God save us all. Check ma signature to receive the dstv software.
Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by theripper2: 10:04am On Mar 27, 2013
Sometin dey happen for dis obodo Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by AGgal(f): 10:06am On Mar 27, 2013
Na wa o! Twins dat i'm praying 4

4 Likes

Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by Nobody: 10:08am On Mar 27, 2013
Weird Tradition
Tufiakwa!
Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by sylve11: 10:10am On Mar 27, 2013
Terrible! their gods must be crazy! cool

1 Like

Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by baynix(m): 10:15am On Mar 27, 2013
Hadiza Is From Abuja.. She Promised To Born Twins For Me!! sad

Ministry Of Women Affairs, Pls Do Something Fast B4 I Marry Hadiza!
Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by Alfamann: 10:17am On Mar 27, 2013
Christians with their fairy tales again. Condeming our people without proof in order to impose their foreign gods on us.

Na lie. We black people have never killed and sacrificed our babies. Infact it was the jewish god that practiced child torture and sacrifice. Not us.

People, please stop believing these baseless propaganda against Africans.
Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by Eneze1(f): 10:20am On Mar 27, 2013
Oh God, some people still practice this barbaric act, may God help us
Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by Eneze1(f): 10:24am On Mar 27, 2013
Alfamann: Christians with their fairy tales again. Condeming our people without proof in order to impose their foreign gods on us.

Na lie. We black people have never killed and sacrificed our babies. Infact it was the jewish god that practiced child torture and sacrifice. Not us.

People, please stop believing these baseless propaganda against Africans.

Are you sure you took the right medicine this morning, Africans don't kill their children yet Mary Slessor stop the killing of twins in some part of Nigeria, Is Nigeria not part of Africa, u really need to start reading books and be informed.

5 Likes

Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by Alfamann: 10:31am On Mar 27, 2013
Eneze1:

Are you sure you took the right medicine this morning, Africans don't kill their children yet Mary Slessor stop the killing of twins in some part of Nigeria, Is Nigeria not part of Africa, u really need to start reading books and be informed.

Mary Slessor stopped killing of twins and Mungo Park discovered River Niger. Yes, we've all heard it all before. You really to heed Fela's advice and stop following oyibo book and use your own sense.

White people came to Africa with lies. Destroyed what we had, condemned our way of life. Told numerous lies about us. Sold us as animals. Turned us against each other.

What proof do you have that what you heard about Miss Slessor was true?

2 Likes

Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by Nobody: 10:32am On Mar 27, 2013
In this 21st century, people still behave like uncivilized animals? chukwu ekwe kwala ihe ojo! ARUUUU! "Spits "

1 Like

Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by Alfamann: 10:33am On Mar 27, 2013
LADY OF RAGE: In this 21st century, people still behave like uncivilized animals? chukwu ekwe kwala ihe ojo! ARUUUU! "Spits "

In this 21st century, people still believe tales by the moonlight.
Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by Nobody: 10:35am On Mar 27, 2013
THEY PROBABLY NEVER HEARD OF P-SQUARE

2 Likes

Re: 40 Abuja Towns Kill Twins! by Akshow: 10:36am On Mar 27, 2013
beylinko: Na wa o, at this age and time? Madam mary didnt get there. Be back 2 read the story
in this age and generation you mean. Why wont you even miss yarn when you dint bother to read the post before you commented all in the name of first to comment

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC NEC: Soldiers, Policemen, Take Over Party Secretariat / Oil Price: Nigeria And The New Reality By Oke Umurhohwo / Illegal Recruitment: Buhari Vows Sanctions, ICPC Indicts Ngige Ministry, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.