Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,777 members, 7,806,146 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:06 PM

Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! (27452 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes-benz Vs Bmw Vs Audi [ IMAGE ] / Benz vs BMW vs Audi: Pure German Machines! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by Nobody: 6:03pm On Mar 27, 2013
Na-Me:

If the person dey move at the speed of the bullet hit the stationary bullet, na the same result my brother.

Check the 3rd Law of Motion.

I dey tell you.
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 27, 2013
BoboYekini: I concur bros, but remember that the 'Plastic/less tensile steel material' is also for safety considerations.
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by Nobody: 6:24pm On Mar 27, 2013
freecocoa: Are people really arguing this?shocked

I guess y'all haven't seen a moving car that rammed into a stationary car with the moving one sustaining more damage.

I can't even believe the headbutt example, so y'all don't know that if you as a person run into a much stronger person with the intent to cause damage with your head, na you and your head go hear am? Make una dey dey jonse.
true. I twice rammed my car into stationary cars during my uni days and my car had the most damage.
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by Nobody: 6:26pm On Mar 27, 2013
freecocoa: Are people really arguing this?shocked

I guess y'all haven't seen a moving car that rammed into a stationary car with the moving one sustaining more damage.

I can't even believe the headbutt example, so y'all don't know that if you as a person run into a much stronger person with the intent to cause damage with your head, na you and your head go hear am? Make una dey dey jonse.
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by dannydolly: 7:02pm On Mar 27, 2013
Ahahahaha, chai, see so many efficos in the house. Impulse, motion,energy,action and reaction, somebody even mention elasticity, all na physics jor. My own be say, the moving benz owner should carry the stationary honda to the mechanic workshop and estimate the cost of damage for immediate repair. If possible they should share the cost, if not let the one at fault carry am.
Shikenah
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by causewahala: 7:40pm On Mar 27, 2013
Interesting thread with physics students flossing with their knowledge!

Momentum is the key word here. Ft=M(V2-V1). . . assuming mass is same or Ft=M2V2-M1V1.

For those going contrary to this, lets use something somewhat tinier. . . say a bullet propelled from a gun.

It has little mass but the velocity is great which makes its momentum increase. . . little wonder why it can shatter the human skull even at a distance, no?

Lord reed is prolly an accountant or a lawyer! grin grin

PS: this thing na (high school)S.S.1 physics oooh! undecided
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by seunajia: 8:02pm On Mar 27, 2013
Of course the Honda came off worse because of the strength of it's material, it's position (stationary) and lastly the difference in weight. In a decreasing order.

Best way to understand this is to theoretically replace the Honda with another Benz. i.e Mass1 = Mass2, TensileStrength1 = TensileStrength2.

A stationary object has no momentum, but still has it's Weight=Mg=Force.

A moving object has enough force to surmount it's Weight. Thus a greater force.

When the two objects collide, the stationary would lose PE because the moving object has Force=movingforce(an object moves when force applied > it's Weight=Mg=Force) greater than it's own stationary/resisting force = weight. It is this moving force that's the difference between the two object. Hence the stationary object's dent. Thus, the magnitude of dent is dependent on the magnitude of the moving force (subject to the speed of the moving car).

An equivalent Benz still suffered. Now, put back your Honda and clearly, a weaker material = greater dent.

In conclusion the Honda suffered more due to it's composing material, then partly due to it's stationary state and weight.
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by ugochukwumaduka: 8:28pm On Mar 27, 2013
seunajia:
Best way to understand this is to theoretically replace the Honda with another Benz. i.e Mass1 = Mass2, TensileStrength1 = TensileStrength2.

A stationary object has no momentum, but still has it's Weight=Mg=Force.

A moving object has enough force to surmount it's Weight. Thus a greater force.

When the two objects collide, the stationary would lose PE because the moving object has Force=movingforce(an object moves when force applied > it's Weight=Mg=Force) greater than it's own stationary/resisting force = weight. It is this moving force that's the difference between the two object. Hence the stationary object's dent. Thus, the magnitude of dent is dependent on the magnitude of the moving force (subject to the speed of the moving car).

An equivalent Benz still suffered. Now, put back your Honda and clearly, a weaker material = greater dent.

In conclusion the Honda suffered more due to it's composing material, then partly due to it's stationary state and weight.

Dude u re actually on d right track.the material composition is d deciding factor here...although not tensile strength cos dt has to do with endurance n supporting a stretching load..its actually the material's impact test number dat determines it.dt determines hw much force on impact it can withstand without failing.tk snooker balls for example.dey undergo such collisions with ichoda but don't dent like cars do wen dey collide and dts due to der material makeup and shape.
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by sweetgala(m): 9:09pm On Mar 27, 2013
ziccoit: A moving object rammed into a stationary object. Which would be more damaged?science must have explained this in detail.

Not necessarily. The forces exerted are equal but opposite.
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by seunajia: 9:10pm On Mar 27, 2013
ugochukwumaduka:

Dude u re actually on d right track.the material composition is d deciding factor here...although not tensile strength cos dt has to do with endurance n supporting a stretching load..its actually the material's impact test number dat determines it.dt determines hw much force on impact it can withstand without failing.tk snooker balls for example.dey undergo such collisions with ichoda but don't dent like cars do wen dey collide and dts due to der material makeup and shape.

Yes I admit tensile strength is the wrong term to use, I used it cause of want of what term to use.

The billiard balls do not break/fracture because; 1. Enough force is not applied, 2. The stationary ball has little resistive force (almost zero friction). But they undergo stress, the molecules of both balls gain KE; just that the vibrations are not visible and not great enough to cause fracture.
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by sweetgala(m): 9:15pm On Mar 27, 2013
Both vehicles are designed to pass stringent structural and crash evaluations across multiple continents. However how they come to pass is different what matters is the cabin space and safety of passenger in the case of collision.
A lot of modern cars spearheaded by the Japanese and their plastic parts started the crumple zone system where structural failure is designed into the vehicle . Seems the Mercedes does not have this as a basis of its design.
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by miketayo(m): 9:28pm On Mar 27, 2013
coogar:

you can easily tell apart the people that skipped physics classes in high school to chase grass-cutters in the bush.

the momentum of the moving object would cause extensive damage to the stationary object. it would set it in motion and the force that sets in motion would damage the stationary object. that law applies to any collusion.

if they were of the same size d moving object ll receive more damage
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by ophilly: 9:29pm On Mar 27, 2013
plaetton: I dont know why everyone is obsessed with amount of physical damage on the Honda.
When it comes to vehicle safety, physical damage is not directly proportional to passenger injuries or fatality.

Infact, looking at the pictures, and assuming that both collided with the same momentum, the honda car, in this instance would have been safer for the driver and passengers.

How?
Physics.
Modern cars are built with numerous crumple zones in the fronts and rears. The crumple zones are designed to crumple and absorb the force of an impact, thereby dissipating and spreading the residual force throughout the vehicle chasis.
By absorbing much of the force and crumpling, the passenger is somewhat shielded from the destructive force of impact because less of the force of impact is passed through the drive and passengers.

In the case of the the mercedes Benz car, the crumple zones did not fold, so the force of impact would have had more of an effect on the passengers because the crumple zones did not absorb any of the force.

So looking at the pictures,The Honda car would have been a safer vehicle for the passengers.

Up Honda! grin
Quite enlightening, I cherish sound, informed and intellectual write-ups like this. Kudos Plaetton.
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by Nextworldnx(m): 9:32pm On Mar 27, 2013
coogar:

the damage to both cars cannot be the same - the stationary object would definitely come off worse. what are you telling me? it would absorb most of the impact while waiting like a sitting duck with the windows shattered!

how can you draw inferences from assumptions?
if the honda had rammed into the benz in a stationary position, the benz would come off worse as well.

Seriously, I just have to comment on this becos of the gross mis-information u guys are passing around. For the love of me, I just can't take it anymore.

1. Newton's First law of motion- A body continues in its State of rest or Motion till a superior force comes in contact with it,to make it move or stop.

2. Newton's Third law of motion- For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

A lot of u quoted these laws but erred greatly in application. Let me explain in simple terms what happened to both cars.

From those laws up there, my physics text-book told me that at a point of impact of any two or more bodies, the force at contact of all bodies involved is thesame(regardless of one body being larger than the other, either d surface area of one body is larger or smaller than the other, or the material of one body is stronger than the other). So long as two bodies makes contact, whether one in motion and the other stationary, it is "thesame" force that is transmitted at "impact" to both bodies.

2. The level of damage(deformation) done to either or both bodies is as a result of the level of resistance the bodies possess to withstand such an impact.
It doesn't matter who is in motion as both bodies in contact experiences equal amount of force at impact, d ability to withstand the impact now determines who gets damaged(deformed) more.

PRACTICAL EXAMPLE:
1. Guy A punches Guy B on the forehead. The full fist misses the head except the last finger. The forehead is stronger than the little last finger. Result: Last finger become swollen.

Verdict: Force at point of contact was thesame on both the Moving benz and stationed Honda. The level deformation on both vehicles is as a result of the different material composition.

And pls, whoever is that guy giving example of a guy standing and another running into him. Gush! WTH is wrong with some of u.

Okay let's analyze two bodies of equal mass, and materials:
Between a moving body and a stationary body, who has more momentum?
Moving body, right?
So definatly, d moving body will unbalance(not deform! O) d stationary one.

Now imagine both bodies in motion and they collide, will d damage(whether light or great) done not be dsame on both bodies?
Is it not dsame scenario between two guys of equal body mass, speed and make-up?

I take God beg Una, some of us are Engineers here, make una no use lie,lie scatter our head.

Peace.
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by samkoro: 9:57pm On Mar 27, 2013
ziccoit: A moving object rammed into a stationary object. Which would be more damaged?science must have explained this in detail.

Both cars share the speed and impact equaly.Although the honda was stationary,it was technicaly/scientificaly in motion realative to the Benz.
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by samkoro: 10:02pm On Mar 27, 2013
Nextworldnx:

Seriously, I just have to comment on this becos of the gross mis-information u guys are passing around. For the love of me, I just can't take it anymore.

1. Newton's First law of motion- A body continues in its State of rest or Motion till a superior force comes in contact with it,to make it move or stop.

2. Newton's Third law of motion- For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

A lot of u quoted these laws but erred greatly in application. Let me explain in simple terms what happened to both cars.

From those laws up there, my physics text-book told me that at a point of impact of any two or more bodies, the force at contact of all bodies involved is thesame(regardless of one body being larger than the other, either d surface area of one body is larger or smaller than the other, or the material of one body is stronger than the other). So long as two bodies makes contact, whether one in motion and the other stationary, it is "thesame" force that is transmitted at "impact" to both bodies.

2. The level of damage(deformation) done to either or both bodies is as a result of the level of resistance the bodies possess to withstand such an impact.
It doesn't matter who is in motion as both bodies in contact experiences equal amount of force at impact, d ability to withstand the impact now determines who gets damaged(deformed) more.

PRACTICAL EXAMPLE:
1. Guy A punches Guy B on the forehead. The full fist misses the head except the last finger. The forehead is stronger than the little last finger. Result: Last finger become swollen.

Verdict: Force at point of contact was thesame on both the Moving benz and stationed Honda. The level deformation on both vehicles is as a result of the different material composition.

And pls, whoever is that guy giving example of a guy standing and another running into him. Gush! WTH is wrong with some of u.

Moving body, right?

Now imagine both bodies in motion and they collide, will d damage(whether light or great) done not be dsame on both bodies?
Is it not dsame scenario between two guys of equal body mass, speed and make-up?

I take God beg Una, some of us are Engineers here, make una no use lie,lie scatter our head.

Peace.

Absolutel correct
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by samkoro: 10:08pm On Mar 27, 2013
Lagusta: Abeg make we bone physics joor, this is practical.... The materials used to make a german machine are more durable, stronger and even more appealing to the eyes than those japanese toys

are u now trying to tell me that if it rammed into a trailer, na the trailer go first spoil baa?

Abeg make una no vex me for here ooo

You may not have a science backgound but u are inteligent. Thanks
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by elviszzz: 10:19pm On Mar 27, 2013
Lagusta: Abeg make we bone physics joor, this is practical.... The materials used to make a german machine are more durable, stronger and even more appealing to the eyes than those japanese toys

are u now trying to tell me that if it rammed into a trailer, na the trailer go first spoil baa?

Abeg make una no vex me for here ooo

Well said bro,dnt mind those cheap japanese freaks always talking trash here on nairaland. D Germans r at least 9yrs ahead of d japanese in every u want in a car.
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by seunajia: 10:22pm On Mar 27, 2013
Nextworldnx:

PRACTICAL EXAMPLE:

Moving body, right?

Peace.

No one is disputing Newton's 3rdlaw.

BTW, Newton's 3rd law applies only after Collision. The bodies, in this case, don't obviously have the same forces before collision.

Now, what this implies is that when Objects A and B collide, depending on which body has more force before collision, the net force difference causes, as applicable: 1. Motion (acceleration/retardation) 2. Dent 3. Others (heat loss to environ, etc)

2. above, easily calls to question the strength of the Honda's material.
Since A has more force, the objects would normally move in the direction of A after collision.

1 Like

Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by louken(m): 10:33pm On Mar 27, 2013
Action and reaction are equal and opposite. Dat's Newton's 3rd law of motion. Two bodies involved in a head-on collision would receive d same impact regardless of which of them is stationary or moving. What matters is d relative velocity.
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by ugochukwumaduka: 11:09pm On Mar 27, 2013
Enof with the physics...I think most pple who can remember der high school and 1st year physics already understand what occured with the cars...its time we look @ it from d engineering design and manufacturing point of view. That's the only way to a conclusive end.
Let's talk about the design philosopy of both manufacturers, der choice of materials and body shape, safety features and other manufacturing indices peculiar to each manufacturer. All the physics laws and equations quoted are theories which have been duly understood,no need over emphasising it. Dnt like d feeling of being in secondary school again listening to my ghanian physics teacher drumming Newton's laws into my head with his mean looking cane in his left hand(I hear am for dt man hand,he probably took out his vengance of the ghana-must go saga on us his students and we always sang sweet canary melodies evrytime dt cane changed hands).

2 Likes

Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by Nobody: 11:14pm On Mar 27, 2013
seunajia:

No one is disputing Newton's 3rdlaw.

BTW, Newton's 3rd law applies only after Collision. The bodies, in this case, don't obviously have the same forces before collision.

Now, what this implies is that when Objects A and B collide, depending on which body has more force before collision, the net force difference causes, as applicable: 1. Motion (acceleration/retardation) 2. Dent 3. Others (heat loss to environ, etc)

2. above, easily calls to question the strength of the Honda's material.
Since A has more force, the objects would normally move in the direction of A after collision.

Come, na night school you go

1 Like

Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by obi2012: 4:53am On Mar 28, 2013
Hmmm.. Na wa o.. See all the physics professors wey full here..

Lagusta and Sauer are right..

Coogar, you are ignoring the materials of the car in question...

When two objects collide, the resulting energy generated from the collision has to be transformed from one form to another..

So in this case m1v1 being the mass and velocity of mercedes benz generates a force f1..

For every action, there has to be an equal and opposite reaction..

So the honda will generate its own force m2v2, v2 will be the velocity that the honda will travel by being hit by the mercedes benz.. v2 cant be 0 unless there is some sort of force that keeps the honda from moving at all which is not possible so obviously, the honda will generate a reaction which is what will be visible on the body of the mercedes based on what materials are used in the body of the mercedes.

So its a lot more to it than just calculating F=M1V1

In the end, the equation has to be balanced, energy is never lost, just transformed from one form to another..

Lets call the other forms of energy that are generated during the accident X; F2 will always be negative of F1 because it is an opposite force.

F1 + (-F2) = X;

F1- F2 - X = 0;

m1v1 - m2v2 - X = 0;

X could be sound (which you would hear as a loud bang when the accident occurs) or some other form of energy like heat.

A stationary object isn't always the bearer of the damage, when you take a hammer to a wall, the wall breaks and the wall is stationary. Why doesn't the hammer break?

It all boils down to the ability of the materials in contact to handle the force thrown at it, the object that is hit always creates a resultant force minus whatever force is dissipated through other forms so movement or no movement, it shouldn't make a difference.

The reason the honda suffered that kind of damage compared to the mercedes was because the materials that were used in the mercedes are a lot more resistant to force than the materials used in the honda. The mercedes is a metal bumper and the honda is a fiber glass bumper. The mercedes bumper is also has a lot more density

1 Like

Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by Karonn(f): 6:42am On Mar 28, 2013
U cnt compare both cars na.last month an Honda rammed into my Benz in a bend,I didn't bother coming out of my car because I saw d shape his car was.cause he was d one at fault driving &brushing his teeth.he came down begged me ,I was jst looking at him oo.jeje I carried my German machine comot
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by LordReed(m): 7:51am On Mar 28, 2013
causewahala: Interesting thread with physics students flossing with their knowledge!

Momentum is the key word here. Ft=M(V2-V1). . . assuming mass is same or Ft=M2V2-M1V1.

For those going contrary to this, lets use something somewhat tinier. . . say a bullet propelled from a gun.

It has little mass but the velocity is great which makes its momentum increase. . . little wonder why it can shatter the human skull even at a distance, no?

So explain why some materials are considered bulletproof.
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by seunajia: 8:04am On Mar 28, 2013
Richfella:

Come, na night school you go

Your point is?
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by LordReed(m): 8:22am On Mar 28, 2013
Novice1: The repair cost of the Benz is still gonna be higher than that of the Honda

Are you joking? Did you see the pictures of both cars?
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by causewahala: 8:49am On Mar 28, 2013
Lord_Reed:

So explain why some materials are considered bulletproof.

I expected some smart alec to come up with that!

Anyways, the bullet proof, most common being the kevlar fibre is made up of advanced woven fibers that absorbs the impact and disperse the energy of the bullet reducing its speed until it stops(we've trashed action and reaction enough on this thread, u should have a hang of that by now).

The essence of the bullet proof is to protect the wearer. The bullet proof itself is indented but owing to the material with which it was made, the dent is not that pronounced, however the wearer feels a bit of trauma!
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by BashToks: 9:18am On Mar 28, 2013
apocalypse:

Which do you think will get damaged the more ?

To those saying the Honda was stationary , your explanations are whack. A couple of years ago an Hyundai Accent rammed into my fathers Volvo 940 and the Accent was a total write off , mind you the stationary Volvo wasn't even damaged

Volvo?? U bring volvo into the argument?
Even the name volvo shid gov you a hint of what the car should look like structurally. Correct me if I'm wrong but volvos are nicknamed Boxes.
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by Pukkah: 9:24am On Mar 28, 2013
The crumple zone was designed for today's cars to prevent the shock (or the bulk of it) from collissions from getting to the passengers.

Though the Honda may have been crumpled but most of the shock didn't get to the passenger. The reasoning is that it's better for the vehicle to receive the shock than the human beings in it. But some people may ignorantly see the Honda car as less preferable to the 'German machine' which will transfer the shock to the occupants.
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by BashToks: 9:24am On Mar 28, 2013
Richfella:

I dey tell you.

Bullets are aerodynamically designed such that the end up penetrating flat surfaces.. so either way your brain tissues ends up gettin splattered allova the nairaland page.
Try running into a stationary knife and see whether the knife bends.
Re: Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! by BashToks: 9:27am On Mar 28, 2013
causewahala: Interesting thread with physics students flossing with their knowledge!

The bullet analogy is so on point!!! GBAMEST to you!!
To me there's not much need for physics here sef.. Logic is enough.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Motorists Stop To Allow Cattle In Abuja Cross A Major Road / New Range Rover Evoque Wins Best SUV/Crossover Car Of The Year Award / Woman Survives Her Car Being Crushed By A Container

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.