Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,901 members, 7,806,632 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:26 PM

Are We Nigerians Religious Or Godly?-our Lifestyle Contradicts What We Preach! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are We Nigerians Religious Or Godly?-our Lifestyle Contradicts What We Preach! (999 Views)

Every Woman Should Read These Rules For Godly Woman.. / Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage / Why Is It That We Nigerians Like To Show Off ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are We Nigerians Religious Or Godly?-our Lifestyle Contradicts What We Preach! by Woged2005(f): 6:18pm On Mar 27, 2013
A young Nigerian lady was bribing a college officer at Enugu to buy college admission for her illegally. She was confronted by her colleague and she said “I’ve prayed about this. This is my year of breakthrough. Nothing is greater than the God I serve, He will surely see me through.”. LoL!...

The FB wall of Nigerians is awash with bible quotes, sermons, etc. Everyone is a FB pastor (Even people I know whome they slept with last night)...LoL. If the number of sermons and Bible phrases fellow Nigerians post on FB are translated into actions, Nigeria will be one of the greatest countries in the world inhabited by 60% saints, 20% Angels. Yet who are these millions of Nigerians difficult to trust or work with?..LoL!

Less empty phrases, more character building, my people. Words only don't do a thing! Faith without action is dead!

Are we Nigerians just religious or godly?
Re: Are We Nigerians Religious Or Godly?-our Lifestyle Contradicts What We Preach! by Nobody: 6:32pm On Mar 27, 2013
100% religious!

2 Likes

Re: Are We Nigerians Religious Or Godly?-our Lifestyle Contradicts What We Preach! by Nobody: 6:48pm On Mar 27, 2013
I will quote governour fashola of lagos state.he said 'nigerians are very religious people but we lack the fear of God.please who are the governours that loot 45o million naira,please who are the people that rape minors,please who are the people that traffick kids abroad for prostitution,please who are the people that mistreat their house helps,is it not a nigerian like you and i.the funny thing is that they will be the one shouting the most haleluyah in church with high gele but what they do when no one is watching is mind boggling

3 Likes

Re: Are We Nigerians Religious Or Godly?-our Lifestyle Contradicts What We Preach! by Nobody: 7:05pm On Mar 27, 2013
Extremely Religious, Totally Judgemental yet lack the basic tenents of faith: Love, empathy and care as described by Jesus through the story of the Good samritan and Mattew 25 31-46.
We love the noise, dance and how off, we love to stand on a pedastal quote scriptures and judge others, like Jesus said to the pharasis, they love to show off, stand proudly and take the highest seats but ignore the important things, love for the weak.
Scandalous how there is so much waste in the midst of so much lack.
We have the most private jets and flashiest cars in the same society where people daily go to bed hungry.
So many churches every corner not a single soup kitchen, something aethiest proudly do.
Our own religion Is to manipulate figures buy jeep and claim "gods blessing" while we turn our noises at the poor among us.
We accuse the poor of all sorts just so we can justify not lending a helping hand "they are witches if you give them arms your money will disappear"
If not for Bill Gates an Aethiest, half of our population would have been wiped away by malaria and AIDS,
If we love God so much where is the fruit of the spirit we are supposed to shine to the world?
What a shame. Our leaders all get front row seats in cchurches and mosques so who are those who have made hospital dead beds?
Who are those who make sure when we fall ill, we have to deplete our savings to get treatment abroad.
I leave tonight in tears, what a shame. Godless nation

3 Likes

Re: Are We Nigerians Religious Or Godly?-our Lifestyle Contradicts What We Preach! by biolabee(m): 7:43pm On Mar 27, 2013
A nation where millions are spent on state banquets/wedding gifts while the old die waiting in line for pensions
A nation where elderly demand respect while using age to sinje (cheat the juniors)
A nation where someone collects bribe from you and gives tithe/zakat the next day
A nation where the rulers use our taxes to drive sirens that hit and imjure innocent people
A nation that our leaders fly out to receive health care while the people queue up to die in clinics
A nation where a r.apist and child abuser in name of ordained marriage is made a senator
A mation where a common thief is jailed for life while a pen thief gets 2 years

We are a nation of hypocrites cry cry cry cry

4 Likes

Re: Are We Nigerians Religious Or Godly?-our Lifestyle Contradicts What We Preach! by greatgod2012(f): 7:58pm On Mar 27, 2013
@op, this question is not brain-tasking at all, because we all know the answer to the question, no need to think or guess, the pure truth is that WE NIGERIANS ARE PURELY AND FULLY RELIGIOUS AND NOT GOD FEARING.............but the question is so important because it calls for self-reflection.
Let us all reflect within ourselves the ways in which we have been just religious and not godly and make attempt to turn it around.
May God help us all.

P.S.....im not in the mood to write epistles, if not so, i would have written a book on this thread.

3 Likes

Re: Are We Nigerians Religious Or Godly?-our Lifestyle Contradicts What We Preach! by Woged2005(f): 9:19pm On Mar 27, 2013
greatgod2012: but the question is so important because it calls for self-reflection.
Let us all reflect within ourselves the ways in which we have been just religious and not godly and make attempt to turn it around.
May God help us all.

You are very right. Honestly, sometime I find myself in a crossword. If I don't act religious I won't fit in with our Nigerian community. Yet if I am not a bit worldly, you know better I will be very depressed & frustrated here in USA (in terms of dressing, hanging out with friends, having a boyfriend, even lying a little to avoid being fired at work, if I came late or called off). Being a Catholic with very strict doctrines don't help matters. It simply means that I have to choose which way to follow or continue to pretend like most people...
Re: Are We Nigerians Religious Or Godly?-our Lifestyle Contradicts What We Preach! by biolabee(m): 9:43pm On Mar 27, 2013
Dear Op. be yourself and appreciate yourself for who you are

The most important thing is that you touch lives of people arround you positively

Do unto others as you want others to do unto you
If you are not good to men you see; how you can claim to worship person wey you never see

1 Like

Re: Are We Nigerians Religious Or Godly?-our Lifestyle Contradicts What We Preach! by Nobody: 9:53pm On Mar 27, 2013
OP I'm kinda confused with your thread

Are you bashing our country as a whole or should I ask what context is your question addressed ?

All our people do is Rant rant rant rant rant rant rant!!!!!!!
( bunch of hypocrites)
And they themselves are not any better! Charity begins at home they say, instead of bashing the leaders and whatnot, let every individual do right by themselves and their neighbours and then observe if there'd be a change or not.

BUT

Would they? Mtcheww !!!!

I have a lot to express too but it's just another Rant with no result! I do what I can and leave the rest with peace of mind.
Re: Are We Nigerians Religious Or Godly?-our Lifestyle Contradicts What We Preach! by Woged2005(f): 10:42pm On Mar 27, 2013
jidegirl12: OP I'm kinda confused with your thread

Are you bashing our country as a whole or should I ask what context is your question addressed ?

Not at all. I am not criticising. Who am I to criticize? I am nobody. my criticisms wont even get beyound my door. I wrote that thread because each time I open FB, everybody's wall is full of bible quotes, sermons, and moral instructions, etc and these are mostly by Nigerian friends. Friends from other countries don't post a lot of religious stuff...and I know these friends well, how they live their lives... I don't want to say anything on Nairaland sha..u get the point.
Re: Are We Nigerians Religious Or Godly?-our Lifestyle Contradicts What We Preach! by safeLove(f): 12:19pm On Mar 29, 2013
Woged2005:

Not at all. I am not criticising. Who am I to criticize? I am nobody. my criticisms wont even get beyound my door. I wrote that thread because each time I open FB, everybody's wall is full of bible quotes, sermons, and moral instructions, etc and these are mostly by Nigerian friends. Friends from other countries don't post a lot of religious stuff...and I know these friends well, how they live their lives... I don't want to say anything on Nairaland sha..u get the point.

Exactly. Those same people on facebook will come under aliases on nairaland and pour out their fraustration,telling us how miserable they are.
Re: Are We Nigerians Religious Or Godly?-our Lifestyle Contradicts What We Preach! by Nobody: 12:44pm On Mar 29, 2013
Even the devil can quote the Bible for his own purpose. undecided
Re: Are We Nigerians Religious Or Godly?-our Lifestyle Contradicts What We Preach! by Nobody: 1:15am On Mar 30, 2013
Woged2005:

Oh okay... You don't criticize you said, it sounds like it to me undecided

Well I don't perceive those scriptures that way at all, I see it as a way of life.

I read many Arabic words on my Moslem friends walls ( fb) too and I know they're no saint compared to what their fb wall preach.

And it's not only Nigerians by the way:

same way you see most Mid westerner covers her head and pray 5 times a day 24/7 BUT don't fulfil what the Holy Quran preach.They are the most rebellious peeps I've ever met.

Same way a caucasian preacher/ pastor engage in premarital sex but she's known to be the best youth councillor in church. hun? what do you call that? I'm sure if its Nigeria , dem for don ALUU the pastor tete.

And so many similar instances like those 2 ^^

I'd say the problem lies with judgemental oversabi Nigerians like you , they know what Jesus said when and how things should be done....,who cares? Heck I can quote John 3:16 all I want... As long as nobody's against the law undecided

why can't everybody mind their own business and do right by themselves and thy neighbours ? just like the western world does and obviously it works for them. Abi na lie ?

Who are we to judge?
Re: Are We Nigerians Religious Or Godly?-our Lifestyle Contradicts What We Preach! by Nobody: 12:40pm On Mar 30, 2013
jidegirl12:

Well I don't perceive those scriptures that way at all, I see it as a way of life.

I read many Arabic words on my Moslem friends walls ( fb) too and I know they're no saint compared to what their fb wall preach.

same way you see most Mid westerner covers her head and pray 5 times a day 24/7 BUT don't fulfil what the Holy Quran preach.They are the most rebellious peeps I've ever met.

Same way a caucasian preacher/ pastor engage in premarital sex but she's known to be the best youth councillor in church. hun? what do you call that? I'm sure if its Nigeria , dem for don ALUU the pastor tete.

I'd say the problem lies with judgemental oversabi Nigerians like you , they know what Jesus said when and how things should be done....,who cares? Heck I can quote John 3:16 all I want... As long as nobody's against the law undecided

why can't everybody mind their own business and do right by themselves and thy neighbours ? just like the western world does and obviously it works for them. Abi na lie ?

Who are we to judge?

so are you now a fan of hypocrisy.yorubas say whatever is bad is bad,it has no other name.dont sugar coat it joor.hypocrisy is too much in this part of the world.i remember when i was a student in the university,there is this guy i know,he was my roomates friend.very terrible cassanova.there is no day that a girl will not warm his bed.he is so indisciplined with girls of easy virtue.he doesn't even go to church.infact i used to be scared for him so he wont get infected with stds or even hiv to my amazement when i was browsing on facebook,i came across him and decided to check his wall,i saw moral sermons and bible verses,the one that schoked me most was 'youths flee immorality for whatever a man does to his body bla bla bla,i was like wtf,see pharisee o. shocked
Re: Are We Nigerians Religious Or Godly?-our Lifestyle Contradicts What We Preach! by Nobody: 12:41pm On Mar 30, 2013
jidegirl12:

Who are we to judge?

so are you now a fan of hypocrisy.yorubas say whatever is bad is bad,it has no other name.dont sugar coat it joor.hypocrisy is too much in this part of the world.i remember when i was a student in the university,there is this guy i know,he was my roomates friend.very terrible cassanova.there is no day that a girl will not warm his bed.he is so indisciplined with girls of easy virtue.he doesn't even go to church.infact i used to be scared for him so he wont get infected with stds or even hiv to my amazement when i was browsing on facebook,i came across him and decided to check his wall,i saw moral sermons and bible verses,the one that schoked me most was 'youths flee immorality for whatever a man does to his body bla bla bla,i was like wtf,see pharisee o. shocked
Re: Are We Nigerians Religious Or Godly?-our Lifestyle Contradicts What We Preach! by Nobody: 1:40pm On Mar 30, 2013
Hypocrisy can be found all over the world, it's not a Nigerian feature alone.

However, I recall reading many threads on this forum, where foreigners were shocked about Nigerians going to church and praying a lot but then doing monkey business, fraud, cheating and so on and so forth. It were most times women who met a Nigerian man in their country and started a relationship with them and even married them. They were first impressed how religious their partner was and that he would go to church and pray on the regular basis, which is seldom the case with the younger generations in some European countries. Seeing their partner being so religious made them believe that he is trustworthy because he must fear God. Only with time they painfully discovered that there are people we call decorated Christians. It goes without saying that it came as some sort of a shock seeing the man praising God and citing the Bible one moment but being criminal and / or promiscuous the other. I don't think it's only hypocrisy that makes us appear like that in the eyes of people from other countries but there is indeed a big discrepancy between what we preach and eventually do. There is a bunch of reasons why many Nigerians act that way.

I also remember one incident during my stay in London. A few girls and I went clubbing. There was this Spanish girl who came with us to a club where most people were Nigerians. This girls begged us to change the location after just an hour because she felt so uncomfortable with Nigerian men being very pushy. She said she had never ever before experienced so many men pulling women by their arms without even having talked to them before. As shy as she was, she didn't know how to help herself and make these men stop. Some of these men would go to church the next day and act like I am so holy.

Hypocrisy doesn't only exist in Nigeria but Nigerians are perceived more hypocritical than other nations, both by others and by themselves.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Comment Pls, If You Agree. / I Am Searching For My Father / 6 Of The Craziest People Who Grace Typical Abuja Weddings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.