Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday (6392 Views)

People Of Bariga Celebrating Good Friday In Style / Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? / Good Friday Crucifixion Of Jesus In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by Havilah93(m): 8:45am On Mar 28, 2013
Why Good Friday is observed.

Good Friday is observed during the Holy Week on the Friday preceding the Easter Sunday. For Christians, unlike Christmas, Good Friday is a day of mourning.
According to the Canonical gospel, Jesus Christ was crucified on this Friday after much torment and sufferings which eventually lead to his death. So, they lament on the crucifixion and death of Jesus Christ which they believe is of great essence as it brought salvation to the
human race.
This year, Good Friday 2013 will be observed on Friday, March 29.
People will gather at the
churches and attend mass, sing Good Friday songs, read passages from the holy Bible to
mark the significance of Good Friday. Every year on this day, devotees in black clothes assemble at the church and take out processions of Jesus’ idol. A ritual burial is also carried out.
Statues and pictures of Jesus at churches are covered in black clothes to mourn the day. At the mass prayers, priest read
Good Friday sermons from the Bible and remember Jesus. Many
people at the end of the day or procession spend sometime to meditate and chant prayers silently. Moreover, many devotional followers of Christ abstain from having meat or wine, and if possible keep a fast.
Churches also encourage people to become actively involved in philanthropic activities for the well being of the society.
Celebration of Good Friday is observed across the world including India where a majority of Christian population resides.

8 Likes

Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by Nobody: 9:15am On Mar 28, 2013
Ok seconded!!!
Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by jmoore(m): 9:52am On Mar 28, 2013
It is about the sacrifice. Jesus sacrificed himself for the sins of the whole world. He was the perfect sacrifice.
Jesus is God who came down in human form to lay down his life for the redemption of mankind. May all glory and honour be unto him, Amen.

4 Likes

Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by milky3(f): 9:56am On Mar 28, 2013
Every friday is agood friday to me d@'s y i always TGIF

3 Likes

Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by femi4: 10:04am On Mar 28, 2013
milky@:
Every friday is agood friday to me d@'s y i always TGIF
that's Good friday's definition from our everyday dictionary
Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by Mintayo(m): 10:16am On Mar 28, 2013
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son,that whosoever believe in Him should not perish but have everlasting life (John 3:16)

4 Likes

Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by Nobody: 10:16am On Mar 28, 2013
AND THE POWER OF HIS RESSURRECTION
Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by SurvBamz(f): 10:17am On Mar 28, 2013
I love passion play too. It gives one a sober reflection & remind us about christ's suffering.

2 Likes

Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by AkinDavid2: 10:18am On Mar 28, 2013
Christ died to set me free from the Law.But should i still not eat meat tomorrow as i am made to believe that if you eat meat you are not observing the Good Friday?
Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by PastorOluT(m): 10:23am On Mar 28, 2013
Jesus is risen n no more dead, we dont mourn any more!

Though we remember His death, we also have 2 celebrate His ressurection as well, so dis a day rejoicing n not mourning.
Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by Mamabugi(f): 10:30am On Mar 28, 2013
Havilah93: Why Good Friday is observed.

Good Friday is observed during the Holy Week on the Friday preceding the Easter Sunday. For Christians, unlike Christmas, Good Friday is a day of mourning.
According to the Canonical gospel, Jesus Christ was crucified on this Friday after much torment and sufferings which eventually lead to his death. So, they lament on the crucifixion and death of Jesus Christ which they believe is of great essence as it brought salvation to the
human race.
This year, Good Friday 2013 will be observed on Friday, March 29.
People will gather at the
churches and attend mass, sing Good Friday songs, read passages from the holy Bible to
mark the significance of Good Friday. Every year on this day, devotees in black clothes assemble at the church and take out processions of Jesus’ idol. A ritual burial is also carried out.
Statues and pictures of Jesus at churches are covered in black clothes to mourn the day. At the mass prayers, priest read
Good Friday sermons from the Bible and remember Jesus. Many
people at the end of the day or procession spend sometime to meditate and chant prayers silently. Moreover, many devotional followers of Christ abstain from having meat or wine, and if possible keep a fast.
Churches also encourage people to become actively involved in philanthropic activities for the well being of the society.
Celebration of Good Friday is observed across the world including India where a majority of Christian population resides.
plz dia is no mass on dis day. dat 4s d only day in d chc dat mass is nt heared bt passion of our lord.tnx

3 Likes

Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by Chimerase(m): 10:30am On Mar 28, 2013
He will be killed and buried tomorrow dn on sunday he will rise..halleluya
Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by Agimor(m): 10:38am On Mar 28, 2013
Op.not forgetting the stations of the cross,the pains he past through on the way to his shameful death on the cross.

1 Like

Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by crackhaus: 10:42am On Mar 28, 2013
Its a day of jubiliation(in fact the whole of easter is), its not a time of mourning...get it right

1 Like

Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by Activcupid: 10:46am On Mar 28, 2013
May God's name be praised. Father do not forsake ur people... Deliver us from d hands of evil men especially Boko Haram, let them fall in dat pit dat they re digging for us
Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by polipompom: 10:52am On Mar 28, 2013
Mamabugi: plz dia is no mass on dis day. dat 4s d only day in d chc dat mass is nt heared bt passion of our lord.tnx
@ mamabugi, tnx 4 d@ correction. I gues d OP 4got dere's no Mass on Good Friday. Happy Easter frnds!

1 Like

Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by Sugarbear007(m): 10:52am On Mar 28, 2013
So w@s all dis fuss abt nt eatin meat Cus me i go shou beta suya d@ evenin o cus na ma suya nyt.....
Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by harlos: 10:56am On Mar 28, 2013
I av a natural love for Fridays, that' why every Friday is Good for me.

Btw should i jst say happy good friday in advance
Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by Lordleno(m): 10:59am On Mar 28, 2013
cryMany of us didn't know b4 now...tnks for the lecture
Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by Jbaby2(f): 11:02am On Mar 28, 2013
From d earth 2 d cross my debt he paid from d cross 2 d grave frm d grave 2 d sky lord I lift YOUR NAME ON HIGH.
Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by Jbaby2(f): 11:04am On Mar 28, 2013
He's going 2 be killd 2mao 4 my sake.

From d earth 2 d cross my debt he paid from d cross 2 d grave frm d grave 2 d sky lord I lift YOUR NAME ON HIGH.
Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by Nobody: 11:19am On Mar 28, 2013
I remember when I was a kid, Mumsy use to scare us with the whole don't eat meat fingy...

Now dat am grown, I start my Easter Sunday Celebration from Friday, eating all sorts of Chicken n Beef!!!
Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by Jbaby2(f): 11:20am On Mar 28, 2013
He's going 2 be nailed 2mao 4 my sake.

Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by nmagirl(f): 11:34am On Mar 28, 2013
Pastor Olu T: Jesus is risen n no more dead, we dont mourn any more!

Though we remember His death, we also have 2 celebrate His ressurection as well, so dis a day rejoicing n not mourning.

Exactly!
we also celebrate the blood that was shed for the remission of our sins,redemption,restoration,reconciling us with God, making us co-heirs with him(Christ) and making us partakers of the kingdom. halleluya
Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by kamelonaire(m): 11:40am On Mar 28, 2013
If no be God where her my going to be today, das y I LIFT YOUR NAME ON HIGH
Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by kenbee(f): 11:47am On Mar 28, 2013
Great lecture!
Correction: statues and images in the church are covered with 'purple' cloth.
HIS DEATH GAVE US SALVATION.

1 Like

Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by ifyfaith: 11:50am On Mar 28, 2013
GOOD FRIDAYS IS A REMEMBRANCE FOR CHRIST CRUCIFIXION. WE AS CHRISTIANS SHOULD JUST BECAUSE OF HIS DEATH ON THE CROSS FOR US TO ACCEPT HIM AS OUR LORD AND PERSONAL SAVIOUR AND ALSO BELIEVE THAT THROUGH HIM, WE ARE VICTORIOUS BECAUSE HE ROSE AGAIN ON THE THIRD DAY. HALLELUJAH.
Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by doctorbabs(m): 12:00pm On Mar 28, 2013
why calling it Good friday, it suppose to be Black Friday since it was the day someone lay down his life for u.

Stop deceiving urself, jesus is not God and can neva share d same attributes with his creator. in the book of mathew jeaus said by my power there is nothing i can do except d one that sent and also said no one is good except the one that sent me

regarding the laws, mtt 5 v17 do not think i have xome to abolished the law but to fulfilled it.
Re: The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday by skidos4u(m): 12:01pm On Mar 28, 2013
Akin-David:
Christ died to set me free from the Law.But should i still not eat meat tomorrow as i am made to believe that if you eat meat you are not observing the Good Friday?
my dear u ask a gud question. many ppl feel dat its not biblical 2 absent 4rm meat on dis gud friday, but it is. read Romans chpter 14: 5-7. its not compulsary 4 evry christain dou, but its an obligation 4 all catholics all over d world 2 absent 4rm fresh meat on gud friday being d sacrificial day whn d real blood dat save us all was shed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

But Why Did Jesus Had To Die For Us...god Could Have Just Forgiven Us / If I Will Live Forever Either In Hell Or Heaven, Where Am I Before I Was Born / Practical Ways To Draw Near To God Through Faith.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.