Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:38 PM

Eating Meat On Good Friday! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Eating Meat On Good Friday! (11636 Views)

Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? / Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? / Do You Eat Meat On Good Friday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Nobody: 10:00am On Mar 28, 2013
I ain't a catholic but we all know that the catholic church is the oldest denomination among churches. As a teenager, my mom wld serve only fish with any meal on good fridays cos it is said that "eating meat, chicken, or any fleshy meat on gd friday amounts to eating the flesh of Jesus" So i wanna know if there are other ppl out there that still stick to dis dogma?

As for me, don't ask me if i will eat meat or fish tomorrow..... #dazall wink

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Nobody: 3:18pm On Mar 28, 2013
ok
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Nobody: 3:22pm On Mar 28, 2013
Use to hear it was d flesh of Jesus or sth of that sort.

I sincerely think its due to poverty/ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by spywareczar(m): 3:23pm On Mar 28, 2013
anything wey cross my path i go chop am jor grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by chelseabmw(m): 3:28pm On Mar 28, 2013
IF I SEE MEAT TOMORROW I GO FLEX AM,ABI E DEY FOR BIBLE SAY MAKE WE NOR CHOP MEAT?PLEASE LET ME KNOW OOO

4 Likes

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by vivaciousvivi(f): 3:30pm On Mar 28, 2013
When I was Catholic, I used to heed to this. It was a sacrifice and when you think of what Christ suffered on the cross for us...guess it was a small price to pay. But I have since left the Catholic church and no longer follow this tradition but I respect others who still do nonetheless.

4 Likes

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Nobody: 3:33pm On Mar 28, 2013
wise_many2k: I ain't a catholic but we all know that the catholic church is the oldest denomination among churches. As a teenager, my mom wld serve only fish with any meal on good fridays cos it is said that "eating meat, chicken, or any fleshy meat on gd friday amounts to eating the flesh of Jesus" So i wanna know if there are other ppl out there that still stick to dis dogma?

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Chokolee(m): 3:37pm On Mar 28, 2013
Whats happening here??
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by wazobiaforu(m): 3:41pm On Mar 28, 2013
Its not a sin to eat meat but come to think of it, the reason behind it is because is the day Jesus was killed and he did not wanted to die so he was sorrowful, so most people dont feel happy or rejoice because of that till sunday but why did they name it GOOD FRIDAY if what happened on that friday was bad?
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by mko2005: 3:41pm On Mar 28, 2013
ItsModella:

@Topic,
The reason is to commemorate Jesus' final and ultimate sacrifice on Calvary on the first Good Friday, by giving up some worldly pleasures on that day. Most people prefer meat, which is why it is a sacrifice. We not only abstain from flesh, we fast as well.[/color][/font]
How about if what i love or derive pleasure in is fish,can i also not eat fish,assuming am not fasting ?
God i need the fullness of the holy spirit in my life. I need the fruits of the spirit.
God help me
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Ogundale(m): 3:41pm On Mar 28, 2013
This is fallacy.

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by claremont(m): 3:48pm On Mar 28, 2013
This is a ridiculous tradition.

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by livebullet(m): 3:51pm On Mar 28, 2013
chelseabmw: IF I SEE MEAT TOMORROW I GO FLEX AM,ABI E DEY FOR BIBLE SAY MAKE WE NOR CHOP MEAT?PLEASE LET ME KNOW OOO

abeg bros i for still like make u show me where e dey for that bible say make we worship God on sunday(1st day of the wk) instead of sabbath which is saturday. I mean every thing doesnt hav to be in d bible befor the Church have the authority to institute it either as a tradition or doctrine of faith. Do you even know the church compiled the New testament? dat is to say, the church is older tha the new testament....Use ur google and browse "the council of Trent and the canonization of the scriptures".

3 Likes

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Nobody: 3:53pm On Mar 28, 2013
Pomo nko? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by livebullet(m): 3:55pm On Mar 28, 2013
fellis:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

and mr OP its not a Dogma...its a tradition....Before u utter words please learn their meaning. Thank you
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by alphaconde(m): 3:57pm On Mar 28, 2013
Its just a form of Abstinence ie keeping the death of jesus in mind do not enjoy meat. How can some pple come and claim here that people abstain cus of poverty. For heaven sake stay away from meat just one day outta a whole year as a mark of respect nothing more. Some poor people will spend more money buying meat tomoro same reason why they can only afford meat once a year which is every good friday just to prove disobedience.

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Tonero2162: 4:02pm On Mar 28, 2013
livebullet:

and mr OP its not a Dogma...its a tradition....Before u utter words please learn their meaning. Thank you
Boooo
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by GalaxyNoteII: 4:03pm On Mar 28, 2013
[size=18pt]Every Friday is good Friday to me. . . in fact na great Friday.

Na meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. [/size]

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Tonero2162: 4:04pm On Mar 28, 2013
alpha conde: Its just a form of Abstinence ie keeping the death of jesus in mind do not enjoy meat. How can some pple come and claim here that people abstain cus of poverty. For heaven sake stay away from meat just one day outta a whole year as a mark of respect nothing more. Some poor people will spend more money buying meat tomoro same reason why they can only afford meat once a year which is every good friday just to prove disobedience.
O boi shut up!! It doesn't make sense. I go chop meat wella 2moro. Make wetin go happen happen.
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Nobody: 4:04pm On Mar 28, 2013
livebullet:

Why are you quoting me now? Did I say it is dogma abi did I say it is not tradition?
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by livebullet(m): 4:05pm On Mar 28, 2013
wise_many2k: I ain't a catholic but we all know that the catholic church is the oldest denomination among churches. As a teenager, my mom wld serve only fish with any meal on good fridays cos it is said that "eating meat, chicken, or any fleshy meat on gd friday amounts to eating the flesh of Jesus" So i wanna know if there are other ppl out there that still stick to dis dogma?

1st i'll like to say the Catholic(from the word Katolik...meaning universal) is not a christain denomination. The cathplic church is "The Church"....other dissidents(breakaways) are the denominations.

FAST AND ABSTINENCE.

It is a traditional doctrine of Christian spirituality that a constituent part of repentance, of turning away from sin and back to God, includes some form of penance, without which the Christian is unlikely to remain on the narrow path and be saved (Jer. 18:11, 25:5; Ez. 18:30, 33:11-15; Joel 2:12; Mt. 3:2; Mt. 4:17; Acts 2:38). Christ Himself said that His disciples would fast once He had departed (Lk. 5:35). The general law of penance, therefore, is part of the law of God for man.

The Church has specified certain forms of penance, both to ensure that the Catholic will do something, as required by divine law, while making it easy for Catholics to fulfill the obligation. Thus, the 1983 Code of Canon Law specifies the obligations of Latin Rite Catholics [Eastern Rite Catholics have their own penitential practices as specified by the Code of Canons for the Eastern Churches].

Canon 1250 All Fridays through the year and the time of Lent are penitential days and times throughout the entire Church.

Canon 1251 Abstinence from eating meat or another food according to the prescriptions of the conference of bishops is to be observed on Fridays throughout the year unless they are solemnities; abstinence and fast are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and on the Friday of the Passion and Death of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Canon 1252 All persons who have completed their fourteenth year are bound by the law of abstinence; all adults are bound by the law of fast up to the beginning of their sixtieth year. Nevertheless, pastors and parents are to see to it that minors who are not bound by the law of fast and abstinence are educated in an authentic sense of penance.

Can. 1253 It is for the conference of bishops to determine more precisely the observance of fast and abstinence and to substitute in whole or in part for fast and abstinence other forms of penance, especially works of charity and exercises of piety.

The Church, therefore, has two forms of official penitential practices - three if the Eucharistic fast before Communion is included.

Abstinence The law of abstinence requires a Catholic 14 years of age until death to abstain from eating meat on Fridays in honor of the Passion of Jesus on Good Friday. Meat is considered to be the flesh and organs of mammals and fowl. Moral theologians have traditionally considered this also to forbid soups or gravies made from them. Salt and freshwater species of fish, amphibians, reptiles and shellfish are permitted, as are animal-derived products such as gelatin, butter, cheese and eggs, which do not have any meat taste.

On the Fridays outside of Lent the U.S. bishops conference obtained the permission of the Holy See for Catholics in the US to substitute a penitential, or even a charitable, practice of their own choosing. Since this was not stated as binding under pain of sin, not to do so on a single occasion would not in itself be sinful. However, since penance is a divine command, the general refusal to do penance is certainly gravely sinful. For most people the easiest way to consistently fulfill this command is the traditional one, to abstain from meat on all Fridays of the year which are not liturgical solemnities. When solemnities, such as the Annunciation, Assumption, All Saints etc. fall on a Friday, we

7 Likes

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by GalaxyNoteII: 4:07pm On Mar 28, 2013
^^^who da heck do you think is going read all that g_ _ _ _ _e?
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by livebullet(m): 4:11pm On Mar 28, 2013
fellis:

Why are you quoting me now? Did I say it is dogma abi did I say it is not tradition?

Within few minutes ur already lossing track with memory?....na wa o... please read the last part of ur post. u said " ....i want o knw if other people still stick to this dogma"

now pay me for functioning as ur memory machine(brain)....ahahahaha...lol
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Koolking(m): 4:11pm On Mar 28, 2013

The bold statement is warp logic. I have never heard of that

Meat was literary used to refer to those things you derive pleasure in doing. Some alcohol, some sex, to some excessive spending on clothes and jewelries, clubbing, adornment, anything you enjoy doing. Deny yourself, give yourself a break on those things, giving up an unhealthy or unnecessary habit and focus on self-examination.

Meat was specifically mentioned in the Catholic doctrine, as history reports: In ancient Europe, meat was a necessity during meals in wealthy homes. Slaves could be killed for serving his wealthy masters with food without meat. Imagine asking such people to abstain from meat. It's a near impossible command, but worth the sacrifice. Almsgiving is part of the sacrifice (meat). Almsgiving goes beyond dishing out your widows mite or millions of dollars to the less privileged on the street or orphanages. How about your neighbour who needs words of encouragement. A neighbour who needs comfort, a neighbour who needs house rents, school fees and you are capable of helping out. A neighbour who needs your prayers, who needs jobs. Almsgiving encompasses all good deeds toward one another.

"Abstinence from meat is more than just “going without” during Lent or just a reminder that Christ offered His flesh for us on the cross. Abstinence is a form of prayer, a discipline. When we abstain from meat, we focus on Christ and on our souls, rather than on self and on our bodies. It is faith in action, placing our attention on Jesus and offering Him “our flesh” as a sacrifice (Romans 12:1-2), a vessel through which He can and does work.

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. I guess you could say that abstinence makes the body (and soul) grow holier…if we embrace it and allow it.

2 Likes

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Nobody: 4:13pm On Mar 28, 2013
vivacious vivi: When I was Catholic, I used to heed to this. It was a sacrifice and when you think of what Christ suffered on the cross for us...guess it was a small price to pay. But I have since left the Catholic church and no longer follow this tradition but I respect others who still do nonetheless.
heb 6
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by livebullet(m): 4:15pm On Mar 28, 2013
Galaxy.Note.II:
^^^who da heck do you think is going read all that g_ _ _ _ _e?

u dont read dats y u dont knw

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Mountain Of Fire And Miracles (mfm) Out To Destroy Families? / Christians And Politics / Holy Spirit Asked Me To Kill My Niece –suspect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.