Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,246 members, 7,807,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:21 PM

Jewels Of Africa - Literature (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Jewels Of Africa (46120 Views)

Church Of England Issues Formal Apology Over Betrayal Of Africa's First Bishop / Jewels Of Lucifer- A Play By A Nairaland Boy, Cosmos Nuel AKA Emyo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jewels Of Africa by wumiesontop: 9:10pm On Sep 04, 2013
Thank you very much

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:14pm On Sep 04, 2013
wumiesontop: Thank you very much
My pleasure dear
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Flow11(f): 11:18am On Sep 05, 2013
nyc story dear
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:59am On Sep 05, 2013
^ ^ ^ Thanks dear
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Bluediamond1(f): 1:26pm On Sep 05, 2013
Hmmmmm!tnk u
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:25pm On Sep 05, 2013
^ ^ ^

My pleasure mallam wink
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Nobody: 3:27pm On Sep 05, 2013
Wooooo!!! That description ya Maru neh kiss

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:35pm On Sep 05, 2013
ngwana.mobu:
Wooooo!!! That description ya Maru neh kiss
eish, I saw some hot guy in the taxi to town eh, I checked him out and took some notes but eh....not that I liked him tongue
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Nobody: 6:08pm On Sep 05, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: eish, I saw some hot guy in the taxi to town eh, I checked him out and took some notes but eh....not that I liked him tongue
Lol clearly I take the wrong taxis to town! Nje the image I had in my mind. Hai you're good my sister.

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 2:52am On Sep 06, 2013
ngwana.mobu:

Lol clearly I take the wrong taxis to town! Nje the image I had in my mind. Hai you're good my sister.
tongue the blessed taxis of this place....you see the likes of Maru once in a blue moon in a taxi, them brothers from here drive their own cars.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Davefirst(m): 10:18pm On Sep 09, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: tongue the blessed taxis of this place....you see the likes of Maru once in a blue moon in a taxi, them brothers from here drive their own cars.
I won't play wit u again because u didn't ask of me for a long time.. I'm still in love with ur piece and wish I could come to SA to just take u for a dinner for a work well done..

About the time and post; don't be in haste, take ur time and get the best write-up whenever you have the time.

And on the story... I can't wait to read more, more and more till I read it all and again..
Take care ma'am

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:31pm On Sep 09, 2013
Davefirst:
I won't play wit u again because u didn't ask of me for a long time.. I'm still in love with ur piece and wish I could come to SA to just take u for a dinner for a work well done..

About the time and post; don't be in haste, take ur time and get the best write-up whenever you have the time.

And on the story... I can't wait to read more, more and more till I read it all and again..
Take care ma'am
OMG....*blushing*

Ladies did you hear that wink this guy is soooooo....

Thanks dear.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Perfecter4real(m): 2:36pm On Sep 10, 2013
Whoa....nice story i must say i ran in in2 this story about a week ago but i just ignored it,one thing lead to the another and i decided to read it and belive me since i started reading this story i hardly have time to log in my facebook acct or to check my mails..just saying girl u are good this story is so entertaining and educating i love the suspense also.anxiously waiting for more update.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 7:36pm On Sep 10, 2013
Perfecter4real: Whoa....nice story i must say i ran in in2 this story about a week ago but i just ignored it,one thing lead to the another and i decided to read it and belive me since i started reading this story i hardly have time to log in my facebook acct or to check my mails..just saying girl u are good this story is so entertaining and educating i love the suspense also.anxiously waiting for more update.
Thank you so much.

Will update soon
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:45pm On Sep 26, 2013
⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵✽̤̈CHAPTER11✽̤̈·̵·̵̭̌«̶⌣

School resumed a week after Easter holidays, and Ife found herself stuck in assignments and projects. She had once again proven herself and was busy recruiting primary school leaving learners for the Jewels of Africa high school scholarships.

Maru had given up on trying to convince her to have dinner with him, after what Malaika had said, Ife had decided to close the dating door.

She had told herself over and over that she didn't really like Maru, it was just her emotions telling her she had been out of the dating scene for too long.

The afternoon lecture had just ended and she had to rush to Femi's flat to see his wife, the poor thing had to go through a miscarriage.

Most students who owned cars were in a rush like her that people kept colliding with each other trying to get to their cars, she collided into a couple that was handling with each other. They paid no attention to her as she angrily forced her way between them.

“Yikes, you two should get a room!” She hissed getting into her car.

“And you should watch where your going!”

Ife turned to look at the speaker, her heart skipped a bit when she saw who it was. Was this some kind of a joke? The speaker was with Maru! Did he forget about her so fast?

“So you got nothing to say after all?” A group of first year girls stood just a step away from her car. Maru had disappeared into thin air. The girls surely knew nothing about her, no girl crossed her path and walks away unmarked.

Pressing the lock button on her key, she leaned against the door and folded her arms. “Whatever you want to say, make it quick, I have to be somewhere o.”

“Come on girls, she is nothing but an empty can of ish.” The girl who was kissing Maru few minutes ago spat infront of Ife, signaling others to follow her.

“Kids!”

“Excuse me, did you just call us kids?” Maru's girlfriend stepped forward, the other girls backing her up.

“Your excused, and yeah, your just kids trying to fit in an adult world. Hurry up now, I am sure your parents are about to lock the gates.”

“What would you know about parents? You were raised by demons anyway.” The girl poked Ife's forehead, they were the same height, she flinched and shot back.

“And you were raised by a slut, that's why you are running around campus kissing seniour boys, incopetent brat!”

“Your an old bitter hag, nobody will ever love you!” The words pierced Ife's heart, she send a slap across the girl's face.

“You must never, ever cross my path!”

With that Ife got into her car, the girl backed away screaming.

“Where are you running off to? Still searching for your mother? If I were you I would stop searching, she does not want you or that your twin sister.”

Ife started her car tears clouding her vision, did she just exchange insults with Barbie and even slapped her? Why did Barbie hate her so much? Was it envy maybe? All those questions had no answers, she had to go home, she needed answers and that being the envelope she had hidden between the mattress of her bed, today she would know everything.

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:51pm On Sep 26, 2013

“I cannot believe this.” Kenny said shaking her head, Mike's daughter Nia's DNA matched hers and Ife's, and hers and Ife's DNA matched. Theirs was no news, the one that hocked them was Nia's because Nneka's denail seemed so real, and her sympathy, why did she lie to them?

“What are you going to do?” Malaika asked, they were enjoying the late April sun, which was already setting, it was starting to get cold, an indication that winter was on its way.

Ife sniffed, what was she going to do? Knock at Nneka's door and play happy family? “I don't know.” She shrugged. “I walked into Barbie and Maru kissing today at the parking lot at school.”

“What?” Kenny shrieked, Malaika too was shocked.

“Your not serious!” Ife nodded. “Maru aka Peejay? Why would he go for a 15year old?”

Malaika frowned, Ife had sworn that she was done with Maru, that he wasn't worth it.

“I thought you were over the guy Ife, why the long face?”

She had to roll her eyes, ofcourse she was over Maru. “You should have seen Barbie! The girl don fall my hand bigtime. I pray she mantain her position sha, or else they would drop her.”

“Why do you care? Isn't that like mother like daughter?” Kenny eyed her sister questionely.

The tears had stopped falling, her face was a mess, makeup at its best, she didn't care, the other girls have smudged their makeup more than once through tears and she had been the one comforting her.

“What do you mean?”

“How did Nneka have us? She is too young jare, I am sure she hasn't clocked forty.”

“Hmmm, I doubt, maybe he raped her.” Malaika added thoughtfully.

“No, Daddy wouldn't, I know my father.” She jumped off the bed, how could they say that about her father?

“Then why does she hate us?” Kenny queried like she was expecting some sort of an answer from Ife.

“You can ask her you know?”

“Who? Me? Ohhh shame, never. I have my parents, second mother would spoil things, abeg.” Kenny got up, the two twins were a funny pair. Had no resemblance physically, and nobody could tell they were twins unless they spend time with them.

It was getting really cold, they had to leave Bots and T'soarelo's room to go back to their own, Malaika had left before them and when they arrived she had already turned on the heater. As soon as they were settled Malaika gave them some privacy with an excuse that she had an assignment to finish.

“I hope madam will forgive me for cancelling on her like that shey?” Ife said sympathetically.

“She has already, she knows you and Oga do not see eye to eye. I left when Oga came home from work. This is ruining their marriage I tell you.”

Ife nodded, she knew the feeling very well. The woman who raised her had to go through the same curse. “I can relate hey.”

“Yea hey,” Kenny thought for sometime and added. “It wasn't the first time, its like for the fifth time now.”

“Huh?! Fifth? What did the doctors say?”

“My dear there is nothing wrong with her medically sha. My mom reckons its spiritual jare.”

“Hian!? Don't talk like that biko!” Ife clapped her hands stretching her left earlobe with her fingers, lowering her voice; “Do they all know about Malaika? I mean the abortion and all?”

Kenny shook her head, upto this point her brother had made her swore that she would never breath the abortion issue to a soul.

“Chai!”

“And your not to tell anybody about it o, or else Boko Harram will kill me.” Kenny warned with a faint whisper.

Ife knew that whenever Kenny called her brother Boko Harram she feared for her life. She pursed her lips and swore not to tell, after all sisters have each other's backs all the time, nomatter the situation.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:01pm On Sep 26, 2013

The morning dew was just clearing, the birds singing their wakeup songs cheerfully, an alarm clock work up Nneka Montsho with a start. It was Sunday morning, she had waited patiently for the day to come, had her clothes ironed, shoes polished and ready for the day. A smile lightened her face when she reached on the bedside for her bible, the verse she had marked with a pencil was still vivid in her mind.

She held her bible next to her chest and murmured “Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”

The verse brought a new found fulfilment, something she had never felt in her entire life. Yes her father loved her, her husband too but their love never had the impact that the verse had on her.

Waking up had always been a chore to her but that Sunday she was enjoying it. Her daughters needed to be up and ready for church too, she walked to their room cheerfully. The room was getting too small for them, she would have to extend the house with the education trust fund for Barbie since she was out of the way.

She tiptoed to the first bed where Barbie shared with Anele, to her shock Barbie was busy with her phone. How many times had she told this girl to switch that her phone when she goes to bed?

“What are you doing on the phone this time Sebabatso?”

“Chatting duh!?”

“This early? I hope you were not on it all night.” Silence.

“Amara, was she on the phone all night?”

Amara pretended not to have heard her mother, Nneka yanked off the blankets. Amara nodded avoiding her older sister's evil stare.

“Girl start praying o...” Nneka pulled Barbie by her leg to her bedroom, she wouldn't live with a sixteen year old sleeping around. Barbie's screaming broke her heart, but she had to do what she had to do.

“So who is he?” Nneka queried after locking her bedroom door. Barbie had developed a habit of talking to her as she pleased, her little girl was gone.

“Who is who Ma? Your embarrassing me infront of my kid sisters.” Barbie retorted.

“Oh, I am embrrassing you? Letha la.” Nneka was busy searching for her belt, the Lord would have to forgive her if it was a sin beating her own child. Barbie made for the door but her mother was right behind her.

“Your phone Sebabatso!” She hissed. Barbie held back, Nneka slashed her with the belt. The girl covered her face pleading with her mother, guilt written all over her face.

“But ma..., please now...” When she realised that her mother meant business she gave her the phone. Satisfied Nneka went through the BBM messages and frowned when she saw a message from an older boy, very dark in complexion but very good-looking.

The messages were sickening, her daughter was sleeping with him, it was obvious. With a heavy heart she sat down on the bed, patted the empty space for Barbie to sit.

“What happened to my daughter?”

She asked nobody in particular, Sebabatso was indeed walking on her mother's footsteps.

“I thought I could trust you but this is the second time your letting me down nana, where did I go wrong?”

“I am sorry Ma.”

“My child, sorry does will not bring your virginity back will it? Sorry will not make me trust you again will it? You have to earn my trust again and by that you will have to let go of somethings ok?” She knelt down infront of her daughter. “When last did you see your period?”

Barbie looked down, Nneka's hands began to sweat, she prayed silently, “God, please not with this one, please Lord.” Her daughter said nothing. They stood there in silent, Nneka felt weak, her daughter had everything going for her, why run around with big boys?

The knock on her door brought them back to their senses. She rose to her feet to get the door, it was Anele dressed up for church. “Ma, we are going to be late.”

“I am sorry baby, just a few minutes.” She closed the door behind her before Anele could respond, she got ready for church, no word to Barbie, she managed to say; “We will finish this when I come back.” Before she left.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:05pm On Sep 26, 2013
Church sermon was very uplifting, for the good three hours Nneka had forgotten about her problems. Who would have thought she would go to church? The woman who had always blamed God for her misfortunes. Indeed prayer did change her, and if it changed her, then there was still hope for her daughter Barbie. She hurried home to share the good news with Sebabatso, maybe she might join them the following Sunday.

Nneka smiled when the thought of her daughter sitting next to her at church crossed her mind, that would be a blessing indeed.

She knocked at the door, there was no music like other Sundays. Barbie liked playing gospel music on Sundays and Nneka knew the songs by heart already but the silence made her uneasy. Where could her daughter go? She didn't remember her asking for money to go somewhere. The door was not locked, that was unlike Barbie, she wouldn't go somewhere without locking the door. She wasn't so fond of sleeping either, where could she be?

“Sebabatso?”

Silence.

Her phone was on the table, would she sleep without her phone next to her?

“Barbie, we are back, what have you been doing all this time? You didn't even cook?” Nneka checked pots, and then the fridge. The mixed veggies they peeled yesternight were still there.

She checked the girls room, the door couldn't move and she had to use all her might to get in. What greeted her left her frozen and numb, her lips dropped wide open. Barbie's body lay facedown, the butcher knife she had always used to cut meat had its blade peeping from Barbie's left rib, and the black handle stuck on her left bre.ast. The blood looked dry. Nneka's eyes moved with painful effort around the room, for something that would tell her Barbie did not kill herself, but everything was in order, just as she had left them in the morning.

Every nerve of her body helped her to stare at her dead daughter's body without seeing it. A pain came to the front of her head, right above the eyes. As the slow minutes dragged, her body was drenched in cold sweat. Her blood throbbed into her ears, her lips perched and dry; she wanted to wet them with her tongue, but could not. The tense effort to keep out of her consciousness the terrible sight of Barbie and the drone of her other children voices would not allow her to move a muscle.

Their giggles, then them calling their sister still giggling. What was she going to tell them? That their sister was a coward who killed herself? Would they forgive their mother for dragging their sister out of their room that morning?

She had to protect them, they wouldn't live with that horrific image. She would tell them the truth one day, but not now.

“Amara, take your sisters and go to aunt Selina, tell her I need to see her urgently.” She ordered with a trembling voice.

“But Ma, we are hungry. Aowa!” Amara groaned as the other joined her.

“Take R20 in my purse on the couch and buy something to eat.” There was movement in the house. “And Amara?”

“Ma?”

“Do not come back with Selina, I will send someone to fetch you girls, ra utlwana ankere?”

“Ma, are those people coming again?” Anele queried. Leaning on their bedroom door, with her sisters, ears pressed on the door.

“Amara!” Nneka hissed and the girls ran out of the house shutting the kitchen door behind them.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:09pm On Sep 26, 2013
I am so sorry guys, please bear with me.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Diamondwriter(m): 11:12pm On Sep 26, 2013
HBG!
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:14pm On Sep 26, 2013
Diamondwriter: HBG!
Oga Diamond
Re: Jewels Of Africa by callola: 11:40pm On Sep 26, 2013
HBG, u r forgiven. Thanks for the updates but pls we need more
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:47pm On Sep 26, 2013
callola: HBG, u r forgiven. Thanks for the updates but pls we need more
Thanks

I will try wink
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 27, 2013
I didn't expect this. Why Sebabatso a dira so mara? cry
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 2:14pm On Sep 27, 2013
ngwana.mobu:
I didn't expect this. Why Sebabatso a dira so mara? cry
Ge nka o botsa o kase ntshepe, ge nka o botsisa, o ka se nkarabe.

Thanks for the support my one

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by Davefirst(m): 8:16pm On Sep 27, 2013
Apology Accepted.. Just take your time. We miss your absence

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by pricelesslove(f): 9:21pm On Sep 27, 2013
no problem
Re: Jewels Of Africa by BukkyDan(f): 5:07pm On Oct 01, 2013
Wow...

Barbie?

Anyways welcme back Big sis...missed ya
Re: Jewels Of Africa by callola: 9:08pm On Oct 01, 2013
Was Barbie pregnant? Was Barbie pregnant?
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Bluediamond1(f): 9:29am On Oct 02, 2013
BukkyDan: Wow...

Barbie?

Anyways welcme back Big sis...missed ya
yea!its a big welcome back indeed.
HBG,i see you sis...
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:03pm On Oct 06, 2013
Blue diamond:
yea!its a big welcome back indeed.
HBG,i see you sis...
Thanks guys grin now please manage this short update eh?

God bless your week ahead for me. kiss
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:09pm On Oct 06, 2013

“Makhi! Ko ko, Nne, are you in here?”

“Come in, I am in the girls bedroom.” Nneka's faint voice called in her friend Selina. The woman had been an older sister she had never had, she took her in when she first arrived at Soshanguve with her girls, gave her food and helped her get the RDP house she lived in.

“The girls said you called for me?”

“Yes, come on in.” Nneka called her in, what would her friend think of her? She was not crying for her own daughter.

Was it betrayal she was feeling? Was God trying to punish her for turning her back on Taiwo and Kenny? Where were they? How were they faring? What kind of a mother throws away the second chance of happiness out of the window?

Maybe her daughter had felt ashamed of calling her a mother, as Nneka went through events in her head, she came to a conclusion that Sebabatso had been a coward.

She had not been brave enough to face life like her, but what would she tell people? When her daughter did not leave a note? Sebabatso had drawn her line in the sand but the blame was going to fall on her.

She felt her friend pushed the door, that's when she tried to get up, but collapsed on the floor near Barbie's lifeless body. She couldn't hold the feelings inside anymore, Selina would understand.

“Nne, what happened?” Selina asked wiping Nneka's tears with the back of her hand, it was no use, she ended up letting them fall freely down her cheeks. Her friend wailed, her wailing tore deep down her heart. Barbie had been a smart child. Since they arrived few years ago she had only made her mother proud, what could have gone wrong?

“I woke-up early this morning, and decided to wake the girls up for church.” Nneka said blowing her nose. “She was on her phone, we quarrelled a bit, I dragged her to my room. She was having sex Selly! My sixteen year old daughter was already having sex!”

The words almost choked, but she forced herself to finish the story. “I found her here after church like this, I couldn't let the girls see this. Its too horrifying for them.”

“We should call the police, and your sister. She stayed with her on weekdays, she should be here.” Selina said concerned.

Nneka wringed her hands nervously, pacing up and down while Selina made the calls. She sat down at one moment, bitting her finger nails, she would get up touch the back of her neck then sit down again. The routine went on until some elderly women came around, whom she didn't know where they came from. One of them was Zulu and was all about tradition. Nneka's bed was put aside to create space in her room, in a flash she found herself on a mattress in her bedroom surounded by women in blankets and head wraps. Sebabatso was nowhere to be seen.

The police came, asked questions and took the body to the mutuary but Nneka had no idea what was happening around her. Everything was a blur. The women next to her would try to make conversation with her but to no avail. Her sister came but she didn't know she was there.

“Nne, are you awake?” Selina woke her up gently. “Come, drink some water, we cannot have you leave the girls now, not when they need you most.”

“But I am not thirsty.” Nneka tried to protest, her throat was sore, her head too heavy for her body. It felt like Zuma rock ontop of her.

“I know you are not but you need to drink ok?” Selina didn't wait for an answer but forced the glass between her friend's lips, who had clenched teeth. “Come on, just a sip ok?”

Nneka's red swollen eyes questioned her friend. “What are this women doing here? Is Barbie gone already? I didn't hear Keddy's car leave. My God! Where is my watch?” The room was dimly lit, two candles were burning dimly on the dressing table. “Load shedding again?” She asked bewildered.

Kedibone came in then, her eyes red and swollen too. Nneka's mind sensed then that something was wrong.

“Where are my six daughters?” She asked the sad mourning faces, but they all looked away. “Kedibone where are my six daughters?” She croaked. Kedibone shrugged and burst into tears.

“Ok, make I call them for here jare. Ife, Kenny, Barbie? Barbie are you on that your phone again? If I come in there you will not like it o!” She was ready to get up when Kedibone croaked.

“Barbie is dead!”

Her Barbie? Dead? God forbit! The women around her seemed to have had enough, they forced her down as everything went blank again.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Letter To My Friend Overseas / Chimamanda Adichie At Geneva Resort, Awka (Pictures) / Read A Book Today!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.