Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,330 members, 7,808,105 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:18 AM

Jewels Of Africa - Literature (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Jewels Of Africa (46123 Views)

Church Of England Issues Formal Apology Over Betrayal Of Africa's First Bishop / Jewels Of Lucifer- A Play By A Nairaland Boy, Cosmos Nuel AKA Emyo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:11pm On Oct 06, 2013

Ife tossed and turned on her bed, she couldn't sleep nomatter what she tried. She went to bed early, skipping dinner but sleep would not come.

She had felt uneasy since morning, couldn't get Maru out of her head. She had tried calling him but would put the phone away before she pressed the green call button. Why was she feeling that way? After seeing her half sister locking lips with him she still wanted to talk to him? She had tried for so many days to erase the his touch away from her, his soft lips the sensation she had felt when their lips met. Malaika's noisy sleepers were disturbing. The girl had been pacing the room for like ever.

“Malaika!?” Her friend didn't answer her but kept pacing up and down. “Malaika please, I am trying to get some sleep here.”

Malaika paused and looked at her, eyes filled to the brim with tears. Ife got confused, did Mike break-up with her best friend? Did someone die from home? She got off her bed and pulled Malaika next to her on Malaika's bed.

“Girl, talk now, what's wrong? Is it Mike?” Malaika shook her head, tears falling down her dark chocolate flawless skin, Ife wiped the tears off with the palm of her hand. “Something happened back home? Take head, it is well.”

“Everything is fine, on my side that is.” Malaika, held Ife's both hands and squeezed them gently. “Barbie killed herself.” She said quickly. Ife just starred at her, what kind of a joke was this? The girl she saw just two days ago?

“Malaika, I beg you in the name of God, please do not ever joke like that.”

Malaika handed her phone to Ife, who read few lines of the conversation on bbm between Malaika and Mike. It was written in black and white, her sister was indeed gone. The phone fell from her hand in a free fall, it hit the floor with a thud and nobody bothered to pick it up. Questions she couldn't answer started flooding her head, was it because of her Barbie killed herself? Did she leave a suicide note? Where was Nneka? The girls?

“Please, how is her mother?” Ife turned to her friend again, swallowing a lump down her throat. She was trying so hard not to cry.

“She has lost it, she keeps asking after you and Kehinde, then Barbie, after some time pass out. Nia's mom told Mike when he was there after he heard the news.”

“But nobody knows anything about us.” Ife felt a deep sense of loss, it was too heavy of a cross to carry. She had never felt that way, even when he father died. Was it guilt?

“Can you call Femi for me please?” Ife asked, her friend. Malaika frowned at her.

“What? Femi? Me? Why?” She asked disgusted. Ife had forgotten just how much the two hated each other. But she had to get a message across to Kehinde, morning was too far, something would happen to her sister.

“Look, you know I can do stuff for you but calling Femi is something I cannot do. I promised Mike I will stay away from him.” Malaika trudged to the window and looked at the clear blue sky, Ife followed her.

“Can you please drive me to his flat then?” She said placing her hand on Malaika's shoulder. Malaika shrugged her off.

“Ask Botshelo or T'soarelo please.”

“But I cannot go with them to Femi's, I am not ready to tell them about my private life please.”

“God knows my heart, fine. Dress up I will go and start the car.”

Ife changed into her jeans and sweater, slipped into her pumps and followed Malaika. “Botshelo, T'soarelo, we have to go somewhere quickly, will be back.” She called out her room mates who were watching television as she locked the door.

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:13pm On Oct 06, 2013

The drive to Femi's flat was short, Malaika parked her car outside the residential garage and locked it. They mounted the steps to catch some fresh air. Ife rang the bell and Femi came to answer the door.

The two had never set eyes on each other, Ife had heard a lot about Femi she knew it was him before he could say hi.

He was tall, lean and athletic, he stood tall with certitude at the door, owning up too much for her liking, Ife understood why Kenny and Malaika feared the guy.

He took her silence for shyness, addressing her an expansive tenderness.

“Can I help you?” He asked politely, switching on the outside lamp which revealed Malaika from the shadows. Ife looked from Malaika to Femi as they stared at each other. She felt like running before the two started a fight, stupidity was an understatement to how she felt for asking Malaika to drive her there.

Her plans to run were interrupted by an irritating taping on the door frame by Femi. His facial expression had changed; his thick shaped charcoal eyebrows had formed a v-shape. She counted the lines his forehead had formed as he turned his nose up at them.

Ife winced shuddering, she felt like peeing in her pants. What if he grabbed them both and throw them six floors down? and face expression had changed completely, he

“Well?” He asked still frowning.

Ife looked at Malaika to bail her out, she was tongue tied. Atleast Malaika knew the guy. Malaika stepped forward, she stopped an inch away from Femi looking him straight in the eye.

“Could we please talk to Kenny?” She asked.

“She is taking her bath and I doubt you would want to wait for her.” He said dismissively.

“We will wait, its rather important.” With that Malaika passed Femi at the door and made her way inside, Ife hobbling after her like a sick puppy.

“What is your problem? They have taken away your tongue?” Malaika hissed at Ife after they were settled in the living room. Femi had vanished into thin air.

“I didn't know what to say, you saw what happened when he saw you.” Ife said honestly, she couldn't talk when the Femi aka Boko Haram guy was around.

“Something is bothering him, he is usually grumpy like this when he is worried or stressed.” Malaika said, and added after a moment. “ And I thought you were not intimidated by those kind of looks? Unless its more than that?”

Ife couldn't look Malaika in the eye which sold her out. Malaika knew her like she knew Kenny, there was nothing she could hide from them.

“You can't, he is married, besides he is your brother.” Malaika reasoned.

“Whoa, I didn't say I like him joor.” She looked away avoiding Malaika's hard stare. She decided to take a look at their surroundings; it had four suede leather black sofas, small pillows decorated them nicely and matching dark purple curtains, with a sheep skin rug on the floor. The flat screen television was still on, a movie was playing on M-net action.

“Nice choice of color neh?”

“Yeah.”

“Where do you think the madam is?”

“Sleeping maybe?”

Femi came around then. “Kenny will be with you ladies soon, would you like something to drink?” He was stealing glances at Malaika, he would look at her when she wasn't looking. The girls shook their heads. “Please pardon my manners, I am Femi.” He extended his hand towards Ife and sat besides her.

Ife blushed, “Ife-Oluwa, I have heard a lot about you.” They shook hands.

“Same here, from yours truly Malaika right?” He asked, flashing his best smile. Ife saw Malaika roll her eyes and fiddled with her phone, then got up and straightened her jacket.

“Ife, I have to go, I have to finish a project I am working on, its due tomorrow.”

Ife knew Malaika wasn't comfortable around Femi, she would have to let her go, after all she did all Ife asked. It was only fair she let her go.

“Ok, thanks for this hey, let me walk you out, I think I will find my way back from the gate.” Ife got up, so did Femi.

“Can I please walk you out Malaika? If that's ok with you that is?”

Both girls looked at each other, Ife remembered what Malaika had told her a while ago about Femi but the guy didn't look capable of killing a fly.

“Fine.” Malaika said to Ife's suprise.

After the two had left Kenny walked out of the bathroom clad in a pink towel. Her face lit up when she saw her twin and they ran to each other like they hadn't seen each other since the Israelis left Egypt.

“I never thought you would step your foot into this house, what brings you here?” Kenny asked sitting besides Ife on the couch.

“Do I have to have an excuse to come and see my one and only sister?” She teased.

“But we both know you can't stand B.K, biko, its even late why are you here this late?” Kenny asked.

“Ok, its not good news, not good at all.”

“Oya talk to me now.”

“Barbie killed herself this morning o.”

“You lie! Chai, that girl is not that type. I refuse to believe.” Kenny got up, eyeballs ready pop out of their sockets.

“Something might have happened, I even wonder if it wasn't me.” Ife added thoughtfully.

“You, how?”

“We exchanged words and I kinda said nasty things.” She said regreting her actions. Only if she had left, maybe her sister wouldn't have killed herself. The word sister sounded foreign to her.

“It wasn't you jare, it was that good for nothing Portugese guy. I thought I heard Malaika's voice?” Kenny assured her changing the subject, she seemed not interested in the news Ife brought.

“She had to go, Femi walked her out. That reminds me, where is madam?”

“Which madam?”

“Femi's wife na, who else?”

“She left him. Those two had problems way back and we only saw them after they got married.

They both blamed each other for the miscarriages, they fought everyday and she served him with divorce papers Friday night.

Seems like she had already made up her mind, she left that same night o.” Kenny had turned up her nose when telling Ife about her brother's misfortunes, Ife smiled at how Kenny and Femi turned up their noses when annoyed, whoever they took the habit from should have been a pro at it.

“Wow, I feel sorry for them sha. Their marriage had only four months?”

“Yes o, but if you ask me, its good riddance.”

“Why do you talk like that?”

“That girl was too spoiled for my brother, you see Femi needs a strong woman who will stand up to his nonsense, not someone who always ran to her parents house whenever they had a misunderstanding. And since she left, my brother even visits me in my room, offers to help me with cooking, he did the laundry on Saturday and cooked today's lunch.”

“Sister in-laws, I pray to marry an only child o, you are full of it. Wetin did that poor girl do to you na?”

“My dear, just because I didn't talk doesn't mean I was happy o! The girl had been pain since the day she visited Nigeria. She is used to maids you see? So I had to literaly cook for her!”

“Why did Femi marry her?”

“Marriage is different from girl/boyfriend relationship, apparently my brother thought once they were husband and wife she would take the wife role. For where?”

When Ife thought the news were reaching a climax, Femi entered the house.

“Let me go and change, don't run away from B.K he doesn't bite.” Kenny winked and left, Femi joined Ife in the living room, rubbing his arms with hands, he had only a short sleeved sport shirt and jeans. He sure was freezing.

“Sorry I had to fix somethings with Malaika.” Femi said apologetically.

“Its fine, the message I brought here has been delivered.”

“Do you mind if I turn on the heater? Its damn cold out there. ” He asked getting up and coming back with a heater. “I hope its not bad news.” He added after cuddling on a one sitter couch.

“Well kinda, that's why I rushed here immediately I heard.”

“Oh? I hope I am not prying hey?”

“No silly.” They laughed, Ife felt relieved from the burdens she had been carrying since her father's sickness reached its final stage. She felt at ease with Femi despite what Kenny and Malaika had told her. He was really handsome in person than he was in pictures.

Ife had a thing for cute guys, if she thought the portugese guy was handsome then Femi was hot.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:17pm On Oct 06, 2013

SHe studied his square face with a chin that could chisel a granite, it had trimmed beard that had spread around the mouth and connected with trimmed maustache, their blackness suited his dark flawless chocolate skin.

He kept his hair short like most Nigerian men. His slightly open lips would form a smile now and then back to their posture.

Ife smiled as she stole a glance at his up-turned nose which looked cute and playful like a child’s but had veered into a snobbish territory the first time he saw her at the door.

“You suddenly went quite, why?” He asked looking at her.

“Oh sorry, just that I have a lot in my mind hey?”

“Its good to share you know?”

“Hmmm.” Ife sighed, why was he so good to her? Or was it just to buy her face?

Kenny came back in her pyjamas and sta next to Ife. “I wonder how Nneka is doing.” She said to herself.

“Your mother you mean?” Ife screamed frustrated, when would they let by gones be by gones and let go of the past? She was tired of pulling in different directions, she wanted to tell her mother that she hold nothing against her and be there for her in this trying time but Kenny was making it difficult.

“I am I missing something here?” Femi asked sitting up straight like a parent in a principal's office being called to answer for his child's ill manners, Kenny pouted and looked away, Ife decided to tell him.

“Kenny is my twin, I am Taiwo but my parents never used it. As you already know, our mother, Nneka lives Soshanguve, her daughter killed herself this morning and Kenny doesn't seem to care.”

“Kenny why didn't you tell me all this? Eversince I accidentally told you that you are adopted you decided to keep secrets from me?” He asked pained and troubled.

“Your wife told me to keep my stuff to myself.” Kenny retorted.

“But Kenny I am your brother....”

“So now I am your sister? After ruining my life? Making me seek for the woman who gave me away?”

“Kenny, calm down please.” Ife begged.

“Calm down for where? the truth hurts right? Sometimes I wish I boarded that plane, and died with Pearl instead of being left with a wicked soul like Femi, who sold me over that winch! God punished you for ruining my life!”

Kenny ran for her life after telling her mind. Ife knew it wouldn't have ended well but what about her? Her heart ached, her head felt heavy. She wished she hadn't come, Kenny was acting childish.

“I deserve whatever that will come my way Ife, I am sorry you had to see that.” He said.

Ife didn't say anything, she didn't want to talk to anyone, let alone Femi.

“You hate me too right?” Ife wished he would stop talking and go to his room, she would stay on the couch because she knew Kenny wouldn't open up, not in her state. Femi needed to shift, or else she wouldn't be able to answer to questions that might come the following day.

“Ife, please.” He moved next to her and held her, she didn't protest, just kept sighing after a while Ife decided to ask;

“Why did you treat Angie the way you did?”

“I was looking for an escape from reality, wanted someone with no strings attached. But things turned out bad and I had to end it with her, she is persistent and wouldn't have left if I didn't do the things I did.”

“And why go to her flat after? The threats?”

“I wanted to talk to her but she became too hostile, then Mike came. I knew I didn't stand a chance anymore, just couldn't leave without a fight.”

“And your fiance?”

“It wasn't working out. She was not inlove with me nomore.”

“Why marry her?”

“My dad said it was a right thing to do, I had to give us another chance but hey, I guess it wasn't meant to be.”

Sleep came when she least expect it and as they say it sure is an enemy.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by callola: 9:29am On Oct 07, 2013
Wow a nyc storyline but pls HBG, you loose much fans if u dnt update regularly. Thumps up

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 2:40pm On Oct 07, 2013
callola: Wow a nyc storyline but pls HBG, you loose much fans if u dnt update regularly. Thumps up
Thanks dear, I will try hey
Re: Jewels Of Africa by BukkyDan(f): 7:34am On Oct 08, 2013
Gr8 and luvly piece...Big sis.

Femi? Wow #I just dey observe#
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Bluediamond1(f): 1:07pm On Oct 08, 2013
Way to go.u kip kiping it real.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:12am On Oct 09, 2013
^ ^ ^

Thank you ladies
Re: Jewels Of Africa by SugaryBelle(f): 7:54am On Oct 19, 2013
HumbledbYGrace HumbledbYGrace HumbledbYGrace HumbledbYGrace HumbledbYGrace HumbledbYGrace HumbledbYGrace HumbledbYGrace HumbledbYGrace HumbledbYGrace HumbledbYGrace humbledbYGrace HumbledbYGraceHumbledbYGraceHumbledbYGraceHumbledbYGrace
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:49pm On Oct 20, 2013
⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵̭̌✽̤̥̈̊☀̤̈̇CHAPTER12☀̤̈̇✽̤̥̈̊·̵̭̌·̵̭̌«̶⌣

“How long will you be staying there? I am going to miss you.” Malaika sighed heavily as she helped Ife to pack her stuff.

“I am not moving out, stop making a fuss over it and help me.” She ordered. What would her life been like without Malaika? None of her friends would ever be like Angie, not in a million years.

She adjusted her pillows and placed her old teddy Alfalfie betweem them. Alfalfie was an old present her father had bought her back in SS1, it was ragged beyond repair as it had been stitched almost everywhere. It would be the first time she goes somewhere for a week without Alfalfie as he had been replaced by a new dark blood rose cuddling bear.

“Don't tell me your carrying that thing with you.” Malaika pointed at the bear.

Ife frowned, what was wrong with her bear? “Madam, I will take my bear with me anywhere I want.”

“Ok,” Malaika shook her head. “what's the name by the way?”

“Angie.” Ife replied keeping a serious face.

“Wow, nice name.”

“Mmm, please help me put those shoes in that bag? I want to call my mom.”

“Ok, its getting late too, I hate it when you drive at night.”

Ife smiled and searched for her phone in her pockets, after locating it she called her mother.

“Hello Ma, how are you?”

“Hello sweety, I am fine, how are you?”

“I am fine, Ma I need to tell you something.”

“We thank God, so what's wrong? You don't sound alright.”

“Nneka is my biological mother, my friend helped me do a DNA test. The other thing, her daughter died yesterday. I don't have all the details though.”

“I didn't want to push it but I knew it was her, even your aunt recognised her. We just didn't want to cause trouble. I hope you didn't go to her place?”

“No, I am going to stay with Kenny at her flat for now. She needs me, is it okay?”

“Ok but please stay out of trouble.”

“Ah, Ma, you know me now.”

“Ok dear, Mummy loves you.”

“And Ife-Oluwa loves you more, good night ma'am.”

“Night honey.”

After dropping the call, Malaika was done with packing, she took her teddy and her shoe bag while Malaika helped her with the other bag.

“Ladies, I will see you at school, and I will miss your cooking T'soarelo.” Ife gave each of her room mates a warm embrace, the girls had been like her family and leaving them for a week or two felt like a year already.

“I will miss your Saturdays spring cleanings, nobody does cleaning like you do.” T'soarelo joked as she squeezed her.

“And I am going to miss her everything.” Botshelo pouted pulling away from Ife's embrace.

“Come on now, will be back before you know it, bye.”

“Bye Ife.” The girls chorused closing the door behind them. Malaika was waiting for her at the car.

“You take care of yourself hey?” The two girls embraced each other, both crying silently like they were seeing each other for the last time.

“I am only a call away if you ever need to talk ok?”

“Yea, bye Mama Angie.” They roared in laughter, Malaika mounted the stairs and Ife drove away. She was scared of what she was getting herself into, Kenny's mood swings were a serious turn-off. She had texted her asking her to stay with them for some time as things were rocky between her and Femi, and Ife being herself, always pitting other people's feelings before hers had agreed to help them but how much was she going to take?

And how does she justify sleeping in Femi's arms lastnight? The guy was nothing both Malaika and Kenny had painted him in her mind but what did she know? She had known him for five minutes while Kenny had known him all her life. And all that Malaika had said Kenny had sealed it and put a stamp on it, all that was left was for her to buy it or reject it.

The evening breeze welcomed her as she stepped out of her car at the parking lot near Femi's car. The night was cool and the sky clear blue, stars dotted here and there, shining bright like small diamonds.

“Sesi, etla ke go thuse.” Ife whirled back to face the gateman, who had his hands stretched out. Ife didn't understand what he said but could see what he meant.

“Urm, thank you, I will manage.” She returned a polite smile. He grinned showing his gapped teeth at the front.

“Ok, I brought you this to sign too.” He produced a book and gave it to her. She wrote down her name, her passport number and the person she was visiting with the duration of the visit.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:58pm On Oct 20, 2013

She sat lost in thoughts at thw balcony, the first few days had been difficult, Kenny would yab at her brother, lock herself in her room and later apologise. Ife was about to give up on Friday after staying with them for almost a week.

Femi wasn't helping matters too, he came from work too tired if he didn't shout at them for not doing something wrong he would lock himself in his room and shout the house down talking to his soon to be ex-wife on the phone.

Why Kenny and Femi were so much alike buffled Ife, how come two people, who were not blood relatives and had a gap of nine years between them acted almost like siamese twins was a puzzle she couldn't solve.

Ife sat there motionless admiring the beautiful gardens of different colorful flowers and green lawns of Union buildings, the afternoon was hot compared to the previous days and she was enjoying the cool breeze. Her things were already packed, waiting for Kenny or Femi to arrive so she could announce her departure. There was nothing left for her there. Kenny had shown her that she was crowding her space and Femi acted like she wasn't even around.

The front door opened and she rushed inside the living room relieved, atleast she would leave on time.

“Finally, you guys should sort your troubles out. I ca....” She stopped at the middle of the room shocked at the person who looked shocked to see her too. “I am sorry, I thought you were Kenny or Femi.” She said retracing her steps. The lady's hand was turning into a fist, eyes full of hatred.

“So your the floozie Femi is running after?” The lady barked at Ife. She was a beauty, light skinned round face with dimples. Ife almost laughed when she remembered a joke T'soarelo had told them about dimples, but held it in check when she remembered where she was. The lady's cheeks had turned red, all because of Ife.

“I don't know what your talking about Miss.” Ife replied reclaiming her confidence back, the girl looked a little bigger than her but if it came to fighting her, God help her because she would beat a girl into a pulp. She wasn't a Yoruba by mistake.

“You heard me, your the slut Femi is sleeping with!”

“You didn't say that!”

“Mxm, move I got things to do.” As she said that, she pushed Ife over and made to pass, Ife grabbed her by her hair making her to stop. “Let go of my hair ghetto winch!” The girl ordered with a trembling voice.

Ife let go of the hair and send a thunderous slap on the girl's cheek with the back of her hand.

“So you can just talk abi? You can't fight? Madam which school did you go to? Your Mama's house?” Ife fired taking her earings off, they were too expensive to be lost in a fight like that.

“I am going to report you to the police for assault, you don't know me!” The girl threatened rubbing her blood stained cheek.

“Yea, I don't know you but it would be so nice sleeping in a police holding cell for assaulting you.” With that she send her second slap, “this is for Malaika, all the abuse she endured because of your stinking fat behind.” The girl didn't take the slap well, she faught back and they rolled on the floor hauling insults at each other. The girl got tired and Ife sat on her stamach, fighting to free her hands, as the girl was holding hes arms clawing into her chest.

In the mist of their fight Femi entered whistling. Ife noticed him and stood up from the girl.

“Ntando what the hell is going on?” Femi's voice boomed like an explosion. His facial expression changed instantly.

“I though...”

“Shut up!” He hissed pointing a shaking finger at Ife. “Go to your room, I will deal with you later.” Ife glared at him, he wasn't serious, not at all, who was he to order her around? “Now!” He roared and Ife jumped terrified and scrammed to Kenny's bedroom.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Talk2david1(m): 11:03pm On Oct 20, 2013
Nice but sadly too short. In Oliver Twist's voice,more please.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Nobody: 11:04pm On Oct 20, 2013
This is great stuff, keep going. I read the first two chapters so far and I'm hooked. smiley
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:08pm On Oct 20, 2013

Nneka gathered her three girls into an embrace as they stepped out of the hearse, they had just returned from the graveyard in block Y. Where she had gotten the strength to pass through the past five days was something she couldn't comprehend, it was some sort of a higher power and her daughters had been a pillar of strength. Even her youngest daughter understood what was going on, she had been always by her side.

She had given away Barbie's belongings to the church, not leaving any of her thinga in the house. The child had put her through enough and all she wanted was to move on. She knew it was still early days to move on but she had to be strong for those she was left with.

Mass of people milled from more than twenty cars that were parked at the space the municipality had cleared and borrowed her to use for the funeral services. God was indeed faithful, she didn't pay a cent throughout the whole process, Barbie's school teacher's hailed from her primary to secondary school, the friends she had made all the years since they arrived in Soshanguve came to pay their last respects and had raised funds for her funeral.

She was awed at how her daughter had touched so many lives when her friends were given time to speak. Some had written letters, poems, while others had composed songs. It was like a farewell of someone who had made a difference in the society, on how her daughter got it wrong she didn't know.

Among the faces that came to pass their condolences personally to her after eating was the face of a young man whom she couldn't forget. She had gone through the rest of the conversation that had fuelled her argument with Barbie on BBM. Only if her daughter had explained to her then that the conversation wasn't about physical intimacy, she wouldn't have said what she said to her. The conversation had ended with the guy telling Barbie she was too young for her, she should stop chasing after him their kiss meant nothing.

“I was heartbroken by this sad news, she had such a jolly personality. Never a dull moment with her, she will be greatly missed.” The young man said sadly and walked away. What was she to say to him? She managed a weak smile and murmured a polite thank you.

“When your feeling like it, let's have coffee together.” A voice said behind her, she turned to see Ife smiling at her, Kenny keeping a straight face. Her heart broke, a storm of guilt shook her, she was drowning into a deep sea, the storms she had tried so hard to fight had taken her and thrown her into that deep dark sea.

“Its ok Nne, you don't have to cry.” Ife said looking up rolling her eyes, “God this is difficult.” Nneka looked at her daughter filled with shame, she was rigid, Anele pulled her little finger.

“Ma?”

“Huh?” She looked around her, the younger twins at her left side while the older ones were on her right. Which moment would ever be perfect to claim what was rightfully hers? The younger ones were curious of what was happening, she swallowed hard. It was now or never.

“Ariana, Amara and Anele, this two ladies, Ife and Kenny are your sisters. I had to leave them behind back home in Nigeria.” She turned to Ife and Kenny, “ladies, these are my girls, Amara and Ariana are twins, they come after Barbie. Anele is the apple of my eye, her mother's baby girl, my lastborn. ” She said with her hand on Anele's shoulder like a mother hen protecting its chicks.

“Ladies, I am leaving, see you at home?” A young man in his late twenties approached them. His voice, it was the voice she had listened to every night, the voice that had sang her luliby so many nights. The rock of ages, that had kept her safe, was she dreaming?

“Obafemi? Is this you?” She threw herself on an stupified young man like he had been struck by thunder.

“Ok, this is getting awkward.” Amara said rolling her eyes at Nneka.

“Please let's go into the house, Ariana find Keddy and Ada, they need to be here.”

“Please, ma'am I don't mean to be rude but I have to get back to the flat now.” The young man pleaded.

“This won't take long, I promise, come on.” She guided the small group into her bedroom as it was the only room that wasn't occupied by relatives. They trudged into bedroom and sat on the king size bed, waiting for Keddy, who came pulling her daughter who didn't want to enter into the house.

“Keddy thank God your here, please can you identify someone in this room?”

Kenny studied the curious faces, from Kenny to Femi then from Kenny to her teary eyed daughter.

“Are they from dad's family in Nigeria? How come you never talked about them? I wanted to meet them you know?”

“No, yes, erm yes.” Nneka lied, “Amara, take Ada and your sisters out to Ada's father please.”

“Yes Ma, aunty Kenny and aunty Ife it was nice meeting you.”

“Like wise Amara.”

“Dad had an Affair with a lady about twenty nine years ago, the lady was a wife of some respected governor. I don't know if her husband knew but almost every weekend dad would take me to see the baby without Mama's knowledge. The visitations stopped after two years though, but I still remember this face.” She pointed Femi, the whole room was silent, the air was hot and stale, and the room stuffy. Nneka would wipe droplets of sweat from her face with a chiefer.

“This sounds like theory to me, ma'am unless you have evidence that I am not my father's son, I suggest you keep your theories to yourself.” Femi said coldly.

Nneka was already going through her shoe boxes in the wardrobe, she took out an old shoe box and placed it on the bed and scurried through old tartered photographs. She took out an old photo of a man holding a young boy in his arms, a girl of about eleven standing on his right.

The photo made Femi and Kenny jump, covering their mouths with their hands. “That's me!” Femi uttered sitting back on the bed head in his hands.

“And the man in the photo is our father, the one you resemble with your nose turning up on people, with your voice and the handsomeness.”

The room was like a church during prayer session, as everyone talked to God, weeping, others furious others happy.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:10pm On Oct 20, 2013

“This shi*t can't be true!” Femi banged Nneka's dressing table furiously, he was in a rage, the kind of a moment Kenny and Malaika had talked about. It was Ife's first time seeing him like that.

“Nnae, calm down please.” Keddy who was younger than Femi and Nneka tried to console the enraged Femi.

“What is it to you? Who are you?” He shook her voilently pushing her away from him, he made to leave but Ife quickly blocked his way. He would have to deal with her first, she desperately needed to know if they were truly an Uncle and Niece.

“You too? You knew about this?” He hissed, his icy eyes penetrating through her own. Whatever it was, since she slept in his arms and him never protesting on it, his nearness caused war between her head and her heart.

“Mmmm,” She shook her head, “I didn't know.”

He turned his head, looking at Nneka. “Are you sure about this?”

“I showed you the evidence I have, anything else is beyond me.” A bereaved Nneka lifted her hands high above her head, nodded and sat down on her bed.

This made Femi furious, he yanked the unexpected Ife out of his way, but instated of letting her fall on the tiled floor, he pulled her into his arms and she melted in his embrace.

“I really want to believe this, but doing so would make me go crazy, because I am inlove with Ife.” Femi said, stroking Ife's hair, like there was nobody in the world just him and her.

The four ladies in the room looked at him baffled, Ife pushed him away shaking. What on earth was he talking about? Inlove? Him? With her?

“You have finished me o, say wetin? Femi, Nnae, this is an abomination o, Chineke me, what did I do wrong?” Nneka wailed, hands on her head.

Keddy and Kenny each on her left and right side consoling her. Ife had trudged to her mother, sitting on the floor between her feet, deep in a raving sea of thoughts. When she thought things would work for the better, Barbie died, she meets Femi for the first time and then falls for him, only to find out he was her Uncle? She stole a glance at him, he was nolonger furious, he looked peaceful like a heavy burden had just been lifted from his shoulders.

“There is nothing wrong with that Femi.” Keddy said, reassuring him. Ife lifted her head to look at the speaker, the woman who wasn't even capable of keeping her daughter? Nevermind being honest?

“I wouldn't be suprised.” Ife said. Keddy jumped from where she was, poking Ife.

“What are you trying to say?”

“You lied about Ada's partenity for five years, and you can't even keep a man, and your here telling Femi to chill because all is well?” Ife replied causticly.

“I was naïve and young, I have learned from my mistakes, I still support Femi on this matter.” Keddy shot back.

“Marry him then, he is so single and available, I am sure you two would make a perfect couple!” Ife fired back, she didn't care if she had hurt anyone but she was tired of the new found family, too much trama. She would prefer her horrible father's sister than the mad Okoro siblings. “I have had enough, I am out of here.” She made for the door.

“So your going to walk out on me like that?”

She turned back, the whisper came from Kenny. A flashback of their first meeting at O.R Tambo, their first phone conversation, and the day Kenny came to her flat drained, played in her head like a movie. She rushed to her sister, fighting tears back. Nneka and Keddy joined them in tears.

“I wish someone would tell me why we were left in that hospital by our own mother.” Kenny sniffed, choking as she spoke. Ife had always wanted to know what really happened that led to their separation but the only person who could answer was dead and gone. She felt funny again as butterflies were having a jol in her tummy, she knew he was near.

“This isn't the right time for all these questions and accusations, actually there will never be a right time. Nneka has gone through a lot in her life, this is her moment of glory, don't ruin it by poking into the past, let sleeping dogs lie.” He said in a serious tone.

“What do you mean?” Kenny queried, curiously.

“I have over this passed year learned a paradox, that if you love until it hurts, then you can't get hurt nomore but you can love unconditionally.” Femi said joining the small group.

“And I have learned that Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” Keddy added merily.

“Let me add seasoning to that; you will know that forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well.” Nneka chipped in, hands on Feim's shoulder. “Right Femi?” She asked. He nodded, a smile curving his lips and squeezed Nneka tight.

“Holding on to anger, resentment and hurt only gives you tense muscles, a headache and a sore jaw from clenching your teeth. Forgiveness gives you back the laughter and the lightness in your life.” Keddy said poking Ife on her shoulder grinning.

“Chai, we have a brainy family don't we Kenny?” Ife asked chuckling, she truly felt the joy of forgiveness, it was like holding on to a melted ice cream on her tongue, the cool sweet sensation it brought.

The wooven strands had had it, they all at the end of the day ended up meeting through channels that seemed almost blocked. Through Malaika, Femi came into Ife's life, through Barbie and Ada/Nia Nneka and Keddy came into the picture, through the unknown, Kenny emerged and as fate would have it, the strands pointed her back to Femi of which the cords binded him to Nneka.

Whatever the future had instore for her, Ife decided to take babysteps and enjoy her mixed blessings.

END of Part2. smiley
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:12pm On Oct 20, 2013
EnlightenedSoul: This is great stuff, keep going. I read the first two chapters so far and I'm hooked. smiley
Thanks, and please stay lol.

@ Talktodavid, thank you too, more will come soon. Oliver don twist grin
Re: Jewels Of Africa by callola: 1:02pm On Oct 21, 2013
Errm HBG, u have a nyc storyline with lots of twist to it but pls try and update frequently. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 2:01pm On Oct 21, 2013
callola: Errm HBG, u have a nyc storyline with lots of twist to it but pls try and update frequently. Thanks
I will do my best sir. Thank you
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Nobody: 2:54pm On Oct 21, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: I will do my best sir. Thank you

So this is where you've been hiding nowadays abi
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:26pm On Oct 21, 2013
ledafaze:

So this is where you've been hiding nowadays abi
No
Re: Jewels Of Africa by seedorfg(m): 11:30am On Oct 22, 2013
Mehn i love dis story die...More grease 2 ur elbow humbleYG ! kissMehn i love dis story die...More grease 2 ur elbow humbleYG !

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by BukkyDan(f): 9:58am On Oct 23, 2013
And she never disappoints...
Weldne big sis; more inspiration
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Talk2david1(m): 11:41am On Oct 23, 2013
WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL!! D twists and joints were just WONDERFUL!! Nice ending. As your biggest fan,I'm so hooked and humbly asking for more
Re: Jewels Of Africa by soilsista(f): 2:36pm On Oct 23, 2013
So you updated and I didn't know? shocked shocked shocked angry
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 23, 2013
Talk2david1: WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL!! D twists and joints were just WONDERFUL!! Nice ending. As your biggest fan ,I'm so hooked and humbly asking for more
you wish you are her biggest fan, her fans are here, but we prefer not talking
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Eneze1(f): 4:30pm On Oct 23, 2013
HBG, this is wonderful, it has been a while, how are you doing, keep up the good work
Re: Jewels Of Africa by sheblayze(f): 6:53pm On Oct 23, 2013
Wow
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Davefirst(m): 10:59am On Oct 25, 2013
HBG! HBG!! HBG!!! Hmmm!!! Am short of words.. *hand on cheek while watching u on 3D*
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:36pm On Oct 25, 2013
Awww guys, thank you so much.

So busy but will make time.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by seedorfg(m): 11:11pm On Oct 28, 2013
humbleyg any latest story, em waiting 4 u any time o
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 4:03pm On Oct 30, 2013

PART THREE

LANTERN OF FAITH

To hear never-heard sounds,
To see never-seen colors and shapes,
To try to understand the imperceptible
Power pervading the world;
To fly and find pure ethereal substances
That are not of matter
But of that invisible soul pervading reality.

To hear another soul and to whisper to another soul;
To be a lantern in the darkness
Or an umbrella in a stormy day;
To feel much more than know.

To be the eyes of an eagle, slope of a mountain;
To be a wave understanding the influence of the moon;
To be a tree and read the memory of the leaves;
To be an insignificant pedestrian on the streets
Of crazy cities watching, watching, and watching.

To be a smile on the face of a woman
And shine in her memory
As a moment saved without planning.

~Dejan Stojanovic
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Davefirst(m): 5:10pm On Oct 30, 2013
Nice Poem... *just can't wait for part III*

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Letter To My Friend Overseas / Chimamanda Adichie At Geneva Resort, Awka (Pictures) / Read A Book Today!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.