Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,934 members, 7,806,702 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:16 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (183) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1490403 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saddek04: 3:09pm On Aug 10, 2015
ab1x:

The numbers stocked cannot give you the total weight or tonnes however, what they eat can do so. For example if what you stocked in respective of the total numbers eat 3 tonnes of feeds which is 3000KG then, be expecting 2300KG or 2.3 tonnes. The remaining 700KG will be waste. It may or may not be up to 700KG, all depends on how smart you can feed.
thanks for ur understanding. I will put it to use.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saddek04: 3:32pm On Aug 10, 2015
ab1x:

The numbers stocked cannot give you the total weight or tonnes however, what they eat can do so. For example if what you stocked in respective of the total numbers eat 3 tonnes of feeds which is 3000KG then, be expecting 2300KG or 2.3 tonnes. The remaining 700KG will be waste. It may or may not be up to 700KG, all depends on how smart you can feed.
. Someone was asking you to share your formula from beginning to the end which I knoww might not be okay with you since u have been doing this since but I will do that for the sake of myself and others so that any mistakes can be corrected and you may even need to add something to it. Pls follow up and let me know if im correct or not for clarification.

Formula 1

Fm 40
Gnc 20
Ts 20
Biscuit 20
Lysine 100g
Meth 100g
Dcp 1kg
Vit c 100g
Premix 500g
Salt 100g
Floxinor 1 bottle
Molasis 6kg

Formula 2

Fm 35
Gnc 20
Ts 20
Biscuit 25
All others constant

Formula 3

Fm 30
Gnc 20
Ts 20
Biscuit 25
Maize 5

Formula 4

Fm 25
Gnc 20
Ts 20
Biscuit 25
Maize 10

Finisher

Fm 10
Gnc 20
Ts 20
Biscuit 20
Flour 30

I hope I am correct, if not pls make the necessary correction. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ntyce(m): 5:57pm On Aug 10, 2015
Good day House,
I appreciate the comments and suggestions of all contributors. I have really learnt alot.
I once had some prevous experience with catfish farming using earthen ponds some years back when my dad raised but the he wasn't satisfied with the outcome so he abandoned the ponds.
After going through this thread, I decided with my sister to start again with info gthered from this forum.
The fishes are now 3 months old.
We decided to carry out the 2nd sorting exercise and check the weight of the fishes. i was however shocked at the weight recorded, the fishes look seemingly big in size had an average weight of 0.3- 0.5kg.
I will like to know if the weight is okay considering the amount spent (almost) N150/fish.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by enuguff: 8:55pm On Aug 10, 2015
Greetings to everyone in the house. Please, I have a serious proble and wud be glad if u guys can help me out. I've had several terrible experiences with buying fingerlings in the past - slow growth and deaths. So, I wud like to start producing my own seed to be sure of what I stock. But the problem is that I've tried hatching several times but always, the fries die before 5 or 6 days of management. There's a certain white cotton-like substance that seems go grow in the water and kill them. Please what do I do? Can anyone help me with step by step guide of how to manage them. Secondly, what size of net mesh do I need for incubation to ensure complete seperation of hatchlings and dead eggs and shells. God bless u guys plenty. Thanks in anticipation of ur help.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:32pm On Aug 10, 2015
enuguff:
Greetings to everyone in the house. Please, I have a serious proble and wud be glad if u guys can help me out. I've had several terrible experiences with buying fingerlings in the past - slow growth and deaths. So, I wud like to start producing my own seed to be sure of what I stock. But the problem is that I've tried hatching several times but always, the fries die before 5 or 6 days of management. There's a certain white cotton-like substance that seems go grow in the water and kill them. Please what do I do? Can anyone help me with step by step guide of how to manage them. Secondly, what size of net mesh do I need for incubation to ensure complete seperation of hatchlings and dead eggs and shells. God bless u guys plenty. Thanks in anticipation of ur help.

i will advice you read a thread titled catfish spawning technique part 1-3 on www.agricnetwork.com and also management of fries.. I tried posting the links but its having some errors.. cheers
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by infotainment(m): 11:49am On Aug 11, 2015
saddek04:
. Someone was asking you to share your formula from beginning to the end which I knoww might not be okay with you since u have been doing this since but I will do that for the sake of myself and others so that any mistakes can be corrected and you may even need to add something to it. Pls follow up and let me know if im correct or not for clarification.

Formula 1

Fm 40
Gnc 20
Ts 20
Biscuit 20
Lysine 100g
Meth 100g
Dcp 1kg
Vit c 100g
Premix 500g
Salt 100g
Floxinor 1 bottle
Molasis 6kg

Formula 2

Fm 35
Gnc 20
Ts 20
Biscuit 25
All others constant

Formula 3

Fm 30
Gnc 20
Ts 20
Biscuit 25
Maize 5

Formula 4

Fm 25
Gnc 20
Ts 20
Biscuit 25
Maize 10

Finisher

Fm 10
Gnc 20
Ts 20
Biscuit 20
Flour 30

I hope I am correct, if not pls make the necessary correction. Thanks

Pls at what point or period can we feed each formular to the fishes
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by atobzz: 1:20pm On Aug 11, 2015
Good afternoon everyone, I'm in need of btw 250-300kg of 500-700grams of catfish in Ibadan ASAP, I can be reached via call/SMS/whatsapp on 07068245654. Cheers
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 2:12pm On Aug 11, 2015
infotainment:

Pls at what point or period can we feed each formular to the fishes
what works for A might not really work for B. just make sure you look into the formula well, make necessary adjustment that which can give you your own result.

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fzero: 2:54am On Aug 12, 2015
ntyce:
Good day House,
I appreciate the comments and suggestions of all contributors. I have really learnt alot.
I once had some prevous experience with catfish farming using earthen ponds some years back when my dad raised but the he wasn't satisfied with the outcome so he abandoned the ponds.
After going through this thread, I decided with my sister to start again with info gthered from this forum.
The fishes are now 3 months old.
We decided to carry out the 2nd sorting exercise and check the weight of the fishes. i was however shocked at the weight recorded, the fishes look seemingly big in size had an average weight of 0.3- 0.5kg.
I will like to know if the weight is okay considering the amount spent (almost) N150/fish.
0.5kg is ok at three months, work on them more coz you have just two months to harvest. Though it depends on what size you stocked fingerlings or juvenile. What pond system do you use.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ntyce(m): 5:26am On Aug 12, 2015
fzero:

0.5kg is ok at three months, work on them more coz you have just two months to harvest. Though it depends on what size you stocked fingerlings or juvenile. What pond system do you use.

Thanks. I have an earthen pond.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abbeydeeone: 2:27pm On Aug 12, 2015
hello guys in the house. Can anyone please hint me the numbers of imported feeds 15kg each to feed 1200 juveniles till they are 3 months old -melange. Thank you all
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 4:04pm On Aug 12, 2015
abbeydeeone:
hello guys in the house. Can anyone please hint me the numbers of imported feeds 15kg each to feed 1200 juveniles till they are 3 months old -melange. Thank you all
If you are looking forward for melange, then project around #150 for each cat. That means for the 1200 juveniles, project around 40 bags of feeds for them.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:03pm On Aug 12, 2015
ayosat:

If you are looking forward for melange, then project around #150 for each cat. That means for the 1200 juveniles, project around 40 bags of feeds for them.
Yes boss!!

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by GOLDLOVER: 11:48pm On Aug 12, 2015
considering the cost, how can melange be profitable?
ayosat:

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abbeydeeone: 11:54pm On Aug 12, 2015
Thanks boss for the hint
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dkings101(m): 9:26am On Aug 13, 2015
Abeg oo, my fish don't ve apetite to eat well. Is there any bacteria infection or something else? Do they need any form of treatment?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pinnocho: 11:39am On Aug 13, 2015
Good Morning Friends, I need advice on the use of tarpauline ponds. Do they have pecuiliar limitations that can affect the growth of the fish? Robonski, Belexema et al good job so far
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by enuguff: 11:50am On Aug 13, 2015
Can I get fingerlings that will be ready for harvest by late Nov or early december with good management practice? If so, where, how and how much? Thanks. U can reach me at athanony@yahoo.com. I am in Enugu and I need abt five or six hundred.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fzero: 3:56pm On Aug 13, 2015
dkings101:
Abeg oo, my fish don't ve apetite to eat well. Is there any bacteria infection or something else? Do they need any form of treatment?
How old are they?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 9:22am On Aug 14, 2015
GOLDLOVER:
considering the cost, how can melange be profitable?
it is profitable only if you do it on a large scale.
mind you I said project #150. not necessary you will spend up to that. if you have fast growing fish, you won't spend that much to get melange. but melange is done on a large scale to get any meaningful profit out of it.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 9:34am On Aug 14, 2015
dkings101:
there are some factors that can cause them to loose appetite apart from infection.
* you need to check the water quality. if the water is dirty they will not eat.
* weather can also affect fish appetite. fish eat less during cold weather.
infection can also cause them not to eat properly. cause if they are sick, then they will reject food. u need to know exactly what category your fish fall into before you can know the right treatment.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 9:39am On Aug 14, 2015
enuguff:
Can I get fingerlings that will be ready for harvest by late Nov or early december with good management practice? If so, where, how and how much? Thanks. U can reach me at athanony@yahoo.com. I am in Enugu and I need abt five or six hundred.
this will be difficult cos you need between 4 to 5 months to get majority to be 1kg and above. but in three months like you have in mind can only get you melange.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dkings101(m): 11:22am On Aug 14, 2015
fzero:

How old are they?

They are more than 3 months...

ayosat:

there are some factors that can cause them to loose appetite apart from infection.
* you need to check the water quality. if the water is dirty they will not eat.
* weather can also affect fish appetite. fish eat less during cold weather.
infection can also cause them not to eat properly. cause if they are sick, then they will reject food. u need to know exactly what category your fish fall into before you can know the right treatment.

Thanks...I am considering introducing multivitamin in there water same way we use Aquacirine plus...I want to try giving them fish biotic and multivitamin and see if there wd be changes..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 6:09pm On Aug 14, 2015
dkings101:

They are more than 3 months...

Thanks...I am considering introducing multivitamin in there water same way we use Aquacirine plus...I want to try giving them fish biotic and multivitamin and see if there wd be changes..
good combination.
also make sure your water is clean. that also boost fish appetite.
you can as well do little cleaning of the pond to remove any slime building up there.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by babaoloola(m): 8:37pm On Aug 14, 2015
Let me know if you have large quantity of fingerlings to sell.
Check profile for info.

Hope the day's been good.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kniceport1: 10:48pm On Aug 14, 2015
Good day all and best of my greetings to the gurus in the house.After reading through the pages and listening to the advice of gurus,the hatchery setup has being good and happy stories by the special grace of God.Best of my regards to one of most generous ideas sharer and adviser,robonski.

1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kniceport1: 11:01pm On Aug 14, 2015
Thank God

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 11:28pm On Aug 14, 2015
babaoloola:
Let me know if you have large quantity of fingerlings to sell.
Check profile for info.

Hope the day's been good.
sir all booked for this month.
maybe next month we can arrange something.
thanks...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 11:39pm On Aug 14, 2015
kniceport1:
Good day all and best of my greetings to the gurus in the house.After reading through the pages and listening to the advice of gurus,the hatchery setup has being good and happy stories by the special grace of God.Best of my regards to one of most generous ideas sharer and adviser,robonski.
good testimony sir.
wish you all the Best and more success.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by babaoloola(m): 6:44am On Aug 15, 2015
ayosat:

sir all booked for this month.
maybe next month we can arrange something.
thanks...

Where is your farm located Sir?

(1) (2) (3) ... (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.