Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,307 members, 7,780,725 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:47 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (219) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1482185 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 1:18pm On Nov 21, 2015
A reputable integrated fish , poultry and livestock farm in ogun state axis has vacancies for the the following positions . FISH HATCHERY MANAGER, POULTRY MANAGER , AND A GENERAL FARM BOY WORKER , attractive salary and free accommodation close to the farm . Any inetrested persons should please contact FARM MANAGER on 07042660868 , or contact me directly via my whats app number +33758786306 or send a mail to malvisjohn@yahoo.com.. thank you
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dkings101(m): 3:59pm On Nov 21, 2015
Bitter experience I need all farmers to learn from...there is this certain woman who sells fish...at first wen she came to my farm to purchase my fishes, I told her plain blank tat I don't sell on credit...she started patronising and paying all sum just to gain my trust, then she introduced a credit scheme of her taking my fishes and paying after 3 days,I was scared of goin into it but since she has done more than 70k purchase with me, I just gave her a trial which am still battling today...she started abusing the credit facility, she doesn't pay on time and I wd have to be begging for my OWN money to be paid. As am posting this thread, she is owed me 1500 of 7500 being 15kg of fishes she toke from my farm 2 month ago. She is hell bent tat she won't pay me, I wd make sure I involve t police even if I ve to spend 5k to get my 1500. I want her to knw one Naira matters to ones biz...

My advice...NEVER sell ur fish on credit. Sell to them the amount they ve wt them.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:10pm On Nov 21, 2015
josefaith:
I want to appreciate God for giving Robonski15 the vision to start this useful, educative and informative that has impacted positively we your follower. A big thank you to Mr Roland for conceiving the idea for this thread. Thank you so much and God Bless you.Thank God for your life.
My gratitude goes to the following persons without which the the thread would have been history:
Mr ab1x
Excelsior
Ayostat
Juvefarm
Tokugawa
Aqudude15
Fhemmy aka the novice
Other gurus
Please do not relent in affecting people's life positively because he that watereth shall be watered.
And every other persons that has brought up one question or the other for discuss............
God bless you abduntantly

Thank you sir for your kind words, i really appreciate.. kudos to other superlative contributors you guys also motivate me.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:16pm On Nov 21, 2015
dkings101:
Bitter experience I need all farmers to learn from...there is this certain woman who sells fish...at first wen she came to my farm to purchase my fishes, I told her plain blank tat I don't sell on credit...she started patronising and paying all sum just to gain my trust, then she introduced a credit scheme of her taking my fishes and paying after 3 days,I was scared of goin into it but since she has done more than 70k purchase with me, I just gave her a trial which am still battling today...she started abusing the credit facility, she doesn't pay on time and I wd have to be begging for my OWN money to be paid. As am posting this thread, she is owed me 1500 of 7500 being 15kg of fishes she toke from my farm 2 month ago. She is hell bent tat she won't pay me, I wd make sure I involve t police even if I ve to spend 5k to get my 1500. I want her to knw one Naira matters to ones biz...

My advice...NEVER sell ur fish on credit. Sell to them the amount they ve wt them.

Hmmmm some market women are very horrendous, i will advice you consider the 1500 as a bad debt and move on cos involving police is just waste of money and you precious time my brother.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:23pm On Nov 21, 2015
One of our large nursery vat under construction, for rearing 2 weeks old fries before transferring to the earthen ponds

Our Manual Meat shredder machine for shredding fish meal, chicken intestine etc for fingerlings feed.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:32pm On Nov 21, 2015

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 8:26pm On Nov 21, 2015
robonski15:
One of our large nursery vat under construction, for rearing 2 weeks old fries before transferring to the earthen ponds
Our Manual Meat shredder machine for shredding fish meal, chicken intestine etc for fingerlings feed.

'wow' good work boss.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oscarvicto(m): 10:35pm On Nov 21, 2015
[quote author=soft777 post=40174945] The major catfish are Clarias gariepinus, Heterobranchus bidorsalis, Heterobranchus hybrid or heteroclaris, etc clarias is the major specie u see in the west , heterobranchus in the south south , the hybrid is the cross between clarias and heterobranchus , hybrid has more tissue, meaning it has more flesh than the other 2, heterobranchus is more testier. clarias can be reared in a higher stocking density than the other 2 , and it is more immune to diseases than the other 2, hybrid and claries has more survival rate than heterobranchus because heterobranchus are more carnivours. All can be reared with great profit if you follow the different procedure of farming them . To me i use clarias for mellange because, i can store them in large quantities in a lesser space with low oxygen, and i use hybrid for my table size grow out because. it grows to a large size faster and has more tissue, means more weight and more profit . But all the species has there advantages and disadvantages , but important is rearing themthe right recommended ways ..I guess this answers your question , if you need more elaboration on any specific specie ,on how to rear it, i will be glad to be of more assistance, thank u and GOOD LUCK[/quote. Is it possible to transport tilapia successfully on a 10hour trip? How long does it take for hetreobranchus or hybrid to get to 1kg?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 11:35pm On Nov 21, 2015
[quote author=oscarvicto post=40272951][/quote] yes u can . but tilapia are more delicate so better use oxygenated bags . from fingerlings in 4 months you should get 1kg but it also depends greatly on the seed bought , water management and quality and quantity of feed given
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oscarvicto(m): 11:46pm On Nov 21, 2015
josefaith:

How can they be recognized?
. A friend of mine needs pure dutch clarias (juveniles)hw much is your farm selling and can u deliver to ph
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by spicy55: 9:13am On Nov 22, 2015
ENTERO FARMS PORT HARCOURT.
You can now have all your catfish solutions here in Port Harcourt and south south region handled by Entero farms. We have the best bread of fingerlings of over 300,000 capacity and currently supply. We also have post fingerlings and juveniles and selling at great prizes. Contact us for more. 08037986697
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by 1stUnique(m): 10:18am On Nov 22, 2015
waoo, its nice being back on the forum.. I am off the thrend in page 85 and now on page 218... I think I av a lot to go through now.. kudos to the oga's for keeping the forum alive... you guys are truly a gift to the world..... one love.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by lamude23: 1:57pm On Nov 22, 2015
soft777:
STOCKING . Firstly, to get your fingerlings, make sure that you are awear of the date the fingerlings or juvenile were hatched, to avoid some bad hatcheries selling 3 months old runts to you as fingerlings or selling 4 month old runts as juvenile .A fish farmer first failure or progress is quality of fingerlings, because no matter how u feed runts , they will never grow , buy fro reputable hatcheries no mater the distance for example like the way Mr robonski is taking us through his hatchery processes from day one till now with almost daily update . Any secretive hatchery , please you should have a second taught before buying , also try to see the brood stock used , at lease brood stock should be not less than 1.8 kg for fast growing fingerlings and they should be at minimum a year old . because to me bigger brood stock hartche bigger fries thats law of GENETICS . A good fish at 1 year if not up to 1.8 kg minimum , what type of fingerlings you expect from such fish . Transporting your fingerlings require good technique because when u stock weak and stressed fingerlings u ,may loose 30 to 40 percent of your stock the first 3 days without knowing it , and if u are using earthen ponds , where u cant see the floor of your pounds , many fingerlings die due to stress and settle at the bottom of your pounds. Therefore thinking your fish have been stolen by your staff , but at sorting or sales u discover u have nothing in your ponds .you start to think it was stolen or they canibalise . If not properly managed your lost is two ways , you will lost your fish and lost also money for feed because for example, you think , you stocked 1000 fishes in your pond and feed budget will be 1000 not knowing you are feeding 400 or 500 so u lost more money by buying feed for 1000, while you are actually feeding 500 that is double lost. BASIC facts for transporting you fish . I will use our local way of transporting because there are lots of advanced way of transporting fish but most of these facilities are not readily available in nigeria.. Our loccal way of transporting using a 50 liters dark plastic , sow a sack round your rubber plastic to avoid external heat through the surface of the plastic, the sack helps insulate your plastic and keep water in your plastic cool and temperture constant meaning ,YOU will not have a fast rise or low in ur temperature change , use mostly black colour plastic , cause , dark colour helps retain heat and makes inside the holding tank dark which catfish like better , giving them an environment suitable for them , when transporting short distance like 1 to 2 hours add little anti stress in the water to calm them before adding little palm oil on the surface to retain oxygen .. but for long distance travel 3 HOURS ABOVE . Please do not use red oil, use the oily multivitamin this does 2 things . 1 , it works as an oil on the surface of the transport water to retain oxygen at the same time it slowly sip in to the water and add multivitamins in the water which in turn gives your fish nesessary vitamins needed to help against stress and imune over bacteria that will be building up in this tight enclosure ,it generally help your fish through out the long journey, note palm oil, multivitamin should be added in very little quantity so as not to pollute the water. PREPARATION OF WATER BEFORE TRANSPORT : The transport water must be the same as the water used in rearing the fingerlings to avoid sharp change in water chemistry. Skip feeding a day before to avoid the fingerlings vommiting there food, due to mechanical and environmental change stress . All plastic containing water should be well cleaned using formaline either new or used plastic .
Aerated or oxygenated before adding ur fish , before fish are added aerate the transport water 1 to 2 hours for good qxygen. Saturated water before adding fish and oil ... on arrival to your farm make sure u check the ph and temperature of transport water and your pond water , to make sure the temprature diffrence are not more than plus or minus 2 degree diffrence and ph should not be more than ph 1 plus or minus diffrence . Gently add water from the pound to your transport water for better acclamitization of your fish , for earthen pounds users, i advice u have an holding tank either wooden plastic or concrete put the fingerlings there for 3 days to acclamitise them better with your pound water . treat them with anti stress first day and next day with formaline bath to reduce any bacteria that must have build up during the transport , before sending them to the main pounds to be used . This will help you monitor your fish ,cause if first 3 days they dont die due to trasnport stress then you are good to go and you are sure of the number of fingerlings which effectively determine your amount of feed . Note always ask for 10 percent mortality, for your fingerlings from your hatchery . Please dont start to count or sort imediately they arrive that will subject them to more stress after undergoing transport stress , this process may give u disaster . Sort or count 2 weeks after they are comfortable in there new home , STOCKING DENSITY :: For flow throug u can stock 5 fish per square meter and for stagnant method range of 2 to 4 , it highly depends on how long u change your water and and type of feed , note floating feed pollute water less and locall pollute more ,,, GOD bless

Soft 777, are we not making a mistake in dis stocking density, I you say 5 per meter square, dt means a 3m x 3m will hold only 45 fishes cos ( 3*3*5=45). Then are we saying depth is not a factor in stocking since we are not calculating in volume?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 3:16pm On Nov 22, 2015
[size=14pt]Big salute to all my Ogas in the house, i bring good tidings to those that still sacrifices their male broodstocks for hatching .. recently i bought 2 females and 1 male broodstock from Zartech ,but i wasnt happy with the result so i decided to try out something fun to make myself happy. few hours after i obtained the testis from the M.B, i decided to stich em up. you wont belive it, its now day 4 and the fish is doing so well upon the fact that i cut it almost 4.5 inches on the abdomen, besides i didnt have it in mind then to stich em up so i cut with the intention that i was gon smoke it and cook with Egusi soup. trust me it was an easy procedure. And if a newbie like me could do it think every hatcher should try it irrespective of your experience, I read overtime the testis gon grow back and same broodstock can be reused just like the female broodstocks too.[/size]
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gspace1960(m): 3:54pm On Nov 22, 2015
adebajo11:
[size=14pt]Big salute to all my Ogas in the house, i bring good tidings to those that still sacrifices their male broodstocks for hatching .. recently i bought 2 females and 1 male broodstock from Zartech ,but i wasnt happy with the result so i decided to try out something fun to make myself happy. few hours after i obtained the testis from the M.B, i decided to stich em up. you wont belive it, its now day 4 and the fish is doing so well upon the fact that i cut it almost 4.5 inches on the abdomen, besides i didnt have it in mind then to stich em up so i cut with the intention that i was gon smoke it and cook with Egusi soup. trust me it was an easy procedure. And if a newbie like me could do it think every hatcher should try it irrespective of your experience, I read overtime the testis gon grow back and same broodstock can be reused just like the female broodstocks too.[/size]

guruz in d houz plz cum and say sumtin abt diz oooo
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by noblefarm: 4:38pm On Nov 22, 2015
chilanfarms:
#5300 retail price.

Pls do u know wia I fit get at wholesale price? I need quantity. Contact pls
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by lobell: 9:30pm On Nov 22, 2015
adebajo11:

It will grow again if you did not remove everything...you should leave at least one-third behind. at least that's what the books say. Cheers.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by josefaith: 6:37am On Nov 23, 2015
Thank you to Soft777 and Belexy, you guys are doing wonderful job.................
Thank you for sharing your wealth of experience without any string attached...............
Guys on this thread are not ordinary and common........................
You are selfless and interested in helping people out......................
Not hoarding knowledge................
Not taking undue advantage of people....................
To all the gurus in the house, thank you so much for your time, effort, audience and love towards everyone here.........
Personally, I am very grateful.................
You guys are the best.............
A million goosa to u alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.
Thank uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sagac10us: 7:37am On Nov 23, 2015
Mr robonskiii......
Good morning.........
Am expecting the fingerlings this evening oooooo....
At sagamu ogun state....
Pls............... Dont Bleep me up ooooooooooo

Amd again...........

How can i get these equipment u uploaded above...........
How do they operate?
How much can i get each?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 7:43am On Nov 23, 2015
lobell:

It will grow again if you did not remove everything...you should leave at least one-third behind. at least that's what the books say. Cheers.

Yes you are right, like i said i never thought of doing that i still hope it will grow back. besides its now day 5 still doing well. I will put everything into practice in my next hatching.

Though am still struggling with the PH of my water (within the range of 4-5.7) and electricity is another thing entirely, am just looking for a suitable method to buffer the PH to 6.5 and avoiding flow through, possibly i will have to come up with my own McDonald jar. And much thanks to Olalekan Josh on AGRICNETWORK, with his article i was able to culture my own Daphnia. I have learnt whole lot on this thread and agricnetwork. to the whole house i say a wonder thanks to you all, keep sharing and keep learning, God will bless you all.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 9:22am On Nov 23, 2015
adebajo11:
You are on point sir , in europe and advanced countries its a general practice done on other cultured or farmed fish like channel catfish , stripe bass fish etc . For the african catfish, if you are to use this method , this resources is best used with male brood with all the best quality cause the reason of preservation of this male parent brood fish , is to make sure you get the same quality fries like there male parent , since catfish fries carries more of the physical characteristics of the male parent than the female . Meaning the fries resemble mostly the male or takes after the male parent gene , but be very cautious in that when you stich the fish, dont add it to the other brood immediately, or else the other broods in your ponds, with the smell of blood will start to peck on the injury and if care is not taking they get into a big fight there by injuring other broods in the process and eventually stress then death . Also when reusing its milt or spam, is never 100 percent like when you previously use it , am not saying it wont hatch, but am after good percent hatch, so to get good percent hatch , where u normally use 1 male u can get another male and add its milt with the already stiched brood male milt to get maximum hatch . What we are after is more percentage hatch leads to more fries which eventually lead to more profit ...My candid advice as a comercial hatchery, use fresh ones but for little hatcheries the already used and stiched brood is ok GOD BLESS

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 9:28am On Nov 23, 2015
noblefarm:

Pls do u know wia I fit get at wholesale price? I need quantity. Contact pls
# Orita Challenge, will try n do that sir...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 9:37am On Nov 23, 2015
Hi Robonski,

Kindly look into this issue on AN "You were unable to login. Please check your cookie settings." cant get into my account since last week.. thats unusual.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 11:38am On Nov 23, 2015
josefaith:
Thank you to Soft777 and Belexy, you guys are doing wonderful job.................
Thank you for sharing your wealth of experience without any string attached...............
Guys on this thread are not ordinary and common........................
You are selfless and interested in helping people out......................
Not hoarding knowledge................
Not taking undue advantage of people....................
To all the gurus in the house, thank you so much for your time, effort, audience and love towards everyone here.........
Personally, I am very grateful.................
You guys are the best.............
A million goosa to u alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.
Thank uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.
THANKS JOSEFAITH , FOR YOUR ENCOURAGING REMARKS
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 12:35pm On Nov 23, 2015
lamude23:

Soft 777, are we not making a mistake in dis stocking density, I you say 5 per meter square, dt means a 3m x 3m will hold only 45 fishes cos ( 3*3*5=45). Then are we saying depth is not a factor in stocking since we are not calculating in volume?
Mr lamude23 thanks for the question, but am very much correct and on point. May be you did not understand my write up . Let me elaborate . A square meter is just the size of those white plastic table used in parties , you cant calculate a quare meter without multiplying depth ; for example a pond of 10 by 15 and depth 4ft , MULTIPLY the length breath and width divde by 3 and you get the total square meter in your pond . Using this standard pond as an example, 10 by 15 by 4 = 600 cubic meter, then divide by 3, you get 200 square meter . So it implies that in this pond size, you will get 200 square meter . So for standard flow through system, using 5 fish , this stocking rate or density amounts to 5 multiply by your total squqre meter 200. This gives 1000 fishes, and it implies that , in a pond of 10 by 15 by 4 ft you can stock 1000 fish to grow out and you can stock higher if your market target is mellange , using standard method . But note , we have different types of system you can operate in your farm ; STANDARD SYSTEM , INTENSIVE SYSTEM and SUPER INTENSIVE SYSTEM. Personally, i operate superintensive system to maximize the full usage of my ponds and i record almost five times profits on a particullar pond. If you want to know how you can get this system or any other system with effective yield . Mr lamude 23 sir, u can talk to me on my whats app for a private chart GODBLESS

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 12:42pm On Nov 23, 2015
18h NIGERIAN TIME . WATCH OUT FOR DISEASES PREVENTION , DISEASES IDENTIFICATION AND DISEASES TREATMENT GOOD BLESS
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jemjem(f): 3:25pm On Nov 23, 2015
I await your lecture sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by seskee(f): 3:30pm On Nov 23, 2015
Pls my good people and gurus in da haus, i need ur assistance urgently as i m worried. i just stocked juve on 12/11/2015, but yezterday noticed some r getting discolored to a dirty silver colour. Pls wat cld dis be? Is it something i shld worry for?wat do i do as i m newbie here and very lost as to wat to do. They still feed well andactive and also wen i got them at their ,their color was very black so i m confused as to why some r changing colour to dirty silver.
Pls assist me pls

@ robonski,
ab1x,
excelsoir,
soft777,
ayostat
and others plsssss
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 3:42pm On Nov 23, 2015
seskee:
Pls my good people and gurus in da haus, i need ur assistance urgently as i m worried. i just stocked juve on 12/11/2015, but yezterday noticed some r getting discolored to a dirty silver colour. Pls wat cld dis be? Is it something i shld worry for?wat do i do as i m newbie here and very lost as to wat to do. They still feed well andactive and also wen i got them at their ,their color was very black so i m confused as to why some r changing colour to dirty silver.
Pls assist me pls

@ robonski,
ab1x,
excelsoir,
soft777,
ayostat
and others plsssss
# drain d water, mix potasium or formalin n pour on dem,after 15mins mix oxcy-veto n pour on dem now leave dem 4 1- 2hrs, wen it's lik 30mins to pump in fresh water, salt d walls of d pond n some on dem. Will advice u do dis in da evening. Goodluck
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by komakan(m): 3:59pm On Nov 23, 2015
chilanfarms:
# drain d water, mix potasium or formalin n pour on dem,after 15mins mix oxcy-veto n pour on dem now leave dem 4 1- 2hrs, wen it's lik 30mins to pump in fresh water, salt d walls of d pond n some on dem. Will advice u do dis in da evening. Goodluck
Pls tell him d quatity of Formalin otherwise there wil be mortality.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 4:13pm On Nov 23, 2015
josefaith:
I want to appreciate God for giving Robonski15 the vision to start this useful, educative and informative that has impacted positively we your follower. A big thank you to Mr Roland for conceiving the idea for this thread. Thank you so much and God Bless you.Thank God for your life.
My gratitude goes to the following persons without which the the thread would have been history:
Mr ab1x
Excelsior
Ayostat
Juvefarm
Tokugawa
Aqudude15
Fhemmy aka the novice
Other gurus
Please do not relent in affecting people's life positively because he that watereth shall be watered.
And every other persons that has brought up one question or the other for discuss............
God bless you abduntantly

I am humbled to be mentioned . . . . Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:17pm On Nov 23, 2015
chilanfarms:

My chairman we don't even know the size of the pond to be treated, using formalin and oxy can be fatal without proper measurement..

(1) (2) (3) ... (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.